Re: NASTE Odd Thursday Night Racing Rules & Current Thread

Thanks Bill for a fantastico night of racing even though both my heats turned out should we say: eventful.  I was good to get the Scaley Lotus dialed in and the green one showed up today and I have already begun tuning to similar specs.

Rico

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

Your Lotus was looking REALLY good by the end of the night!!!!

So, anyone who has been racing in the new Vintage Trans Am Class here at TooBad Motorplex will recognize this old beater as the worst handling car on the track.

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_7945.jpg

Well, I've decided to try and do something about that. I have plans to build three cars for compettion, each with different degrees of modifications, while still staying within the rules! This car will be the first with the fewest modifications performed. The intent is to keep the car 99% stock, with just some blue printing of the chassis and running gear. The only change will be the rear tires, which will be replaced with Paul Gage XPG urethanes.

To start with this is one of my best garage sale purchases to date! This Black & Decker Workmate Hobbycrafter vise is perfect for slot car use! The jaws are plastic and will not damage delicate parts, and I have not encounter anything it will not hold securely!

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_7946.jpg

Here is the Camaro chassis mounted in the vise with my power supply leads attached. With the chassis in the vise I can apply and control the power hands free while I work on the running gear.

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_7947.jpg

First I performed a modification taught to me by Chris kouba. When he first told me about this I was thinking he was kidding me! Well much to my surprise this really works! It seems I'm probably the only 1/32 racer that hasn't heard of this procedure, but I'll mention it anyway in case there is someone else out there like me that hasn't heard of it.

The rear axle bushings in the Camaro were pretty sloppy. The axle to bushing fit was loose, which seems typical to most 1/32 cars,especially those fitted with plastic bushings. Step one is to oil the axle bushings.

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_7948.jpg

After oiling the axle bushings, apply power to the motor to get the rear axle spinning. While the axle is spinning apply super glue to each of the axle bushings in the same place you applied oil.

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_7949.jpg

You MUST keep the power on and keep the axle spinning to prevent the super glue from gluing the axle to the bushings. I let the motor run at 6 volts for a good five minutes to be sure the axle did not glue to the bushings.

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_7950.jpg

I'm told the super glue actually fills the low spots inside the bushings to give the axle a closer or tighter fit.

Once I had completed the rear bushing improvements I used a file to true up the rear wheels.

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_7951.jpg

With the motor running and the rear wheels turning I trued the rear wheels, holding the file flat against each wheel.

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_7952.jpg

All that remains is the installation and truing of the Paul Gage urethane tires.

WBo: I made the Paul Gage tire order on the 23rd. Just waiting for them to make it out of Canada alive. Will let you know when the eagle has landed.

Goose

Thanks Goose!

This number 6 car will get just the tires. I also have an old beat up number 9 Sunoco Camaro. I'm going to replace the rear axle assembly with a Slot.it axle and aluminum wheels with brass axle bushings in that car. It will be interesting to compare the two!

Odd Thursday September 11, 2014...........

Eleven racers showed up at TooBad Motorplex in Fairview on this Odd Thursday Night. In attendance was long time contributor to this forum, Ol' Mike. For those that don't know him, Ol' Mike has got to be the KING of all 1/43rd! I believe Mike has built more 1/43 cars than Artin! And ALL of them CUSTOM!

So back to the racing. John Fisher and Chris Kouba were back in town and ready for race day! The rest of the field was made up by the usual suspects. A Ninco Corvette returned to the top spot in the Classic Sports Car Class. The Trans Am Class is really heating up as racers get their cars dialed in. The Trans Am Class resulted in a first place tie, as well as a tie for fifth! And in the BRM Porsche 962 race, well a BRM Porsche 962 won. Go figure! Oh and the Goose? Well, he didn't have clear wins in all three races. Greg Petrolati managed to tie him for first in the Trans Am race.

So you may wonder; what makes Goose so good? First of all he is an expert at car preparation and set up. Second, he is a damn good driver! There you have it, his secrets are out. So load up, Goose season is officially open!

The Results:

Classic Sports Car Class:
1st Goose Gossett 50.9 laps
2nd Rico Locati 50.6
3rd Chris Kouba 49.7
4th Terry Abbott 49.1
5th Bill Bostic 48.9
6th Greg Petrolati 48.1
7th John Fisher 47.7
8th John Morse 44.6
9th Monte Saager 44.4
10th Mitch Brooks 41.6
11th Ol' Mike 36.0

Trans Am Class:
1st -Tie Goose Gossett 52.0 laps
1st - Tie Greg Petrolati 52.0
3rd John Morse 51.6
4th Chris Kouba 50.4
5th - Tie Monte Saager 49.5                                                                     
5th - Tie Bill Bostic 49.5 
7th Rico Locati 48.3 
8th Terry Abbott 47.7
9th John Fisher 47.6
10th Mitch Brooks 46.8
11th Ol' Mike 35.3

BRM Porsche 962 Class:
1st Goose Gossett 61.8 laps
2nd Chris Kouba 60.3
3rd Monte Saager 58.7
4th Rico Locati 57.4
5th Bill Bostic 55.0
6th John Fisher 54.8
7th John Morse 49.8
8th Mitch Brooks 49.4
9th Ol' Mike 40.8

You may be wondering how my Scalextric #6 Trans Am Camaro worked after the modifications. The answer would be; much better! My fifth place finish last night is probably not a good measure of the car's improved performance. Even with my crapper driving I managed to pick up an additional 2 1/2 laps over my previous race's total with the car. Now if I could just improve my driving skills!

I was updating the Official Winners List and I realized something. This is the second race in a row where Goose and Petrolati have tied for first place in the Trans Am race!!!!

I feel a run off coming up!!!!

wb0s wrote:

Now if I could just improve my driving skills!

I'll second that motion as it applies to me as well!

Thanks Bill for another fun night o' racing.

September 25th Odd Thursday Night Race.

Racer turn out may have been low, but we definitely weren't lacking in racing action or enthusiasm! Mitch Brooks and John Fisher scored their first wins, making the Odd Thursday Winners List. Bryan Dickerson placed as high as second in the Vintage F1 Class. And Gary Goose Gossett set a new race record in the BRM Porsche Class. It was an action packed evening! With only six racers we ended up racing four different classes, all with three minute heats. I don't know about everyone else, but I had a great time (even with the DQ in the GT Class race!).

The Results:

Scalextric Vintage F1:
1st Rico Locati 52.8 laps
2nd Bryan Dickerson 50.9
3rd Goose Gossett 50.4
4th Bill Bostic 48.9
5th John Fisher 48.0

Scalextric Historic F1:
1st Mitch Brooks 41.2

GT Class:
1st John Fisher 58.0 laps
2nd Goose Gossett 54.8
3rd Rico Locati 53.7
4th Bryan Dickerson 52.6
5th Mitch Brooks 52.2
DQ Bill Bostic - illegal motor >21.5k

BRM Porsche 962 Class:
1st Goose Gossett 63.3 laps
2nd Rico Locati 58.9
3rd John Fisher 57.0
4th Bill Bostic 56.9
5th Bryan Dickerson 56.4                                                                     
6th Mitch Brooks 49.8 

Trans Am Class:
1st Goose Gossett 49.5 laps
2nd Rico Locati 49.3
3rd Bill Bostic 48.7
4th Bryan Dickerson 48.1
5th Mitch Brooks 43.2

Bill: That was one wild night of fun packed hard racing, thanks for the food and a real good time with all the racers.

Couldn't have said it any better Goose.

Rico

Odd Thursday - October 9th, 2014

Attendance topped out at 11 for the night's racing. The Goose scored a decissive win in the Classic Sports Car Class. John Morse scored his first win and earned his spot on the Odd Thursday Winner's List by winning the Trans Am race, and set a track record for that class while he was at it! In their third bout with their Trans Am cars, Greenman and the Goose broke the two race first place ties, with the tie breaking run resulting in only a 2/10 of a lap margine! The Trans Am Class is turning out to be one of the most closely contended classes. Rico survived the crashing and bashing in the BRM Class to take that win by 1/2 a lap over the Goose. All in all it was another Odd Thursday thrash!

The Results:

Classic Sports Car:
1st Goose Gossett 52.2 laps
2nd Greg Petrolati 50.8
3rd Rico Locati 50.3
4th Tracy Flood 49.9
5th John Fisher 48.9
6th Terry Abbott 48.3
7th Glenn Heath 47.3
8th John Morse 45.2
9th Bill Bostic 43.9
10th Mitch Brooks 41.6

Trans Am:
1st John Morse 55.9 laps
2nd Goose Gossett 51.8
3rd Greg Petrolati 51.6
4th Rico Locati 50.3
5th Glenn Heath 50.0
6th - tie Tracy Flood 48.1
6th - tie Terry abbott 48.1
8th Mitch Brooks 46.2
9th Bill Bostic 45.8
10th John Fisher 43.9
11th Cailin Dunbar 33.6

BRM Porsche 962 Class:
1st Rico Locati 60.5 laps
2nd Goose Gossett 58.9
3rd Bill Bostic 57.4
4th John Fisher 56.3
5th Tracy Flood 56.0                                                                     
6th John Morse 55.4
7th Glenn Heath 52.8
8th Mitch Brooks 52.1
9th Cailin Dunbar 33.8

Bill: Thank you for a fun night of hard charging racing fun, also for the snacks. I am really happy we have added the T/A class, i hope the other racers are enjoying the racing it is creating. I personally enjoy the variety of the different body makes and paint schemes we are driving.

Goose

I'll second that notion, I had a great time as well.  I hope the racing with the vintage F1's turns out the same as well.

Rico

Odd Thursday - October 23rd.

At this Odd Thursday we ran the 13th and final round of the 2014 IPS Proxy. We had 15 drivers in attendance with 23 cars entered. We ran two rounds of 2 minute heats. Cars were raced in random order, and drivers were placed on teams of three (one for each lane), and the driver teams were rotated as well. All the drivers had at least 20 minutes of racing time with various cars. The results are posted on the Slot Cars illustrated website under the IPS Proxy info.

After the IPS Proxy race concluded, we raced one round of three minute heats for the BRM Porsches. As usual, it was a barn burner! The Goose was the only one to make it out of the barn alive and took the win!

BRM Porsche results:
1st Goose Gossett 58.5 laps
2nd Rico Locati 56.9
3rd Chris Kouba 56.7
4th Bill Bostic 53.8
5th John Kouba 50.3

Thank you bill for the "snacks!", and a fun filled night of racing and racing buddies.

Goose

Man, did we have snacks or what????!!!!!!

AND we ate 'em ALL!!!!!!!!!

One thing for sure, we didn't have any left.

Due to scheduling issues, holidays, and conflicting race schedules the next Odd Thursday Night Race at TooBad Motorplex will be held on Thursday November 20th. Please mark your calendars!

=============Bill

P.S. Yes, I realize that is not an odd date..................

The results and photos of the proxy cars are here: http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/porta … amp;page=2

Wow, what a fun night of racing last night!  There were lots of really close battles, some really great bench racing, too many goodies to eat, a fun time was had by all.  Thanks to Bill and Diane too. I would also like to thank Chris for letting me play with his awesome 1/24 toys, both the ScaleAuto 962 and the new BRM McLaren.  The BRM is so good it makes the high dollar price tag seem worth it.

Rico