Re: NASTE Odd Thursday Night Racing Rules & Current Thread

reek455 wrote:
kidvolt wrote:

What, no Masers in yellow?

A wise person once said "Be careful what you wish for"

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo56/reek455/c3511-maserati-trofeo_1_zpsf8ah3qs7.jpg

That was no wish.  Know your enemy...

"Big Smooth"

OK, I stepped up and got the GT3 Bentley on Amazon for $25 shipped!

How soon are we going to start racing this class? I know more than a few of us still need to purchase cars cars and get them set up.

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

I had put a 21.5K motor in mine thinking I would set it up for our existing GT class since at the time we didn't have a class for it. But it was never smooth enough for that class. I've put the stock Scaley motor back into it, does it ever seem pedestrian but I suppose I'll get used to it. However there is a lot less chatter under acceleration, or should I say gradually increasing speed.

Let's see what everybody thinks at the next race. We can race the GT Class with the GT3 cars in it until everyone has one and is up to speed.

I was going thru some of the older sloppier cars the other day and using super glue on the bushings, what an improvement. I glanced at a couple of old Strombecker plastic chassis that were so loose it was a marvel that the axle didn't just fall out, so I thought, "why not". Wow what a difference, they run as smooth as a new car, well a new Strombecker car that is.

Odd Thursday Night Racing on March 23rd - We had some really tight race at Al's Rippin' Ridin' Raceway last night! First class on the starting grid were the GT cars. This is really a diverse class with sedans all the way up to prototypes competing with each other. This would be NASTE's version of run what ya brung! On this particular night Rico's Fly BMW sedan just squeaked out the win over Al's Porsche 962 by just 2/10ths of a lap. Less than 1 lap separated third through fifth!

Next up were the Classic Sports Cars for the NASTE Point Series Championship Race of the evening. Again we saw ten cars on the grid and the racing was just as close. Chris won the race extending his point lead, with Mitch coming in second, and Monte in third. This class is really shaking up the point standings.

A couple racers had to leave but we still had an impressive grid of eight racers for the start of the BRM Group C race. Rico had an impressive run to finish first with Al three laps behind. Dan followed in third just half a lap behind Al.

The last race of the night was for the Over 50 cars. Mitch again led the way to victory with his very dialed in Classic chassied Porsche 906. Al gave Mitch a good run but finished a lap short of beating Mitch with his KTM powered Cheetah. Fernando had an excellent run with Al's KTM powered Ford GT Roadster finishing fourth!

Welcome to new comer Andy! We hope you had a good time!

Here are the results:

GT Class
1 Rico    70.7 Laps
2 Al    70.5
3 Bill    67.9
4 Monte    67.8
5 Chris    67.4
6 Terry    66.3
7 Jeff    65.9
8 Fernando    65.5
9 Daniel    62
10 Mitch    60.6

Classic Sports Car Div.I - Official NASTE Point Series Championship Race - 2017 Season - Race No. 14
1 Chris Kouba 66.1 laps - 10 points
2 Mitch Brooks 65.3  -  9 points
3 Monte Saager  64.8 - 8 pts.
4 Terry Abbott 64.1 - 7 pts.
5 Al Christensen  63.4  - 6 pts.
6 Rico Locati 62.0  - 5 pts.
7 Dan Fritz  61.9  - 4 pts.
8 Bill Bostic 60.5 - 3 pts.
9 Fernando Carvalho  57.9  - 2 pts.
10 Jeff Fields  57.0 - 1 pt.

BRM Group C
1 Rico    73.8 Laps
2 Al    70.6
3 Daniel    70.1
4 Bill    69.4
5 Chris    68.7
6 Mitch    64.9
7 Fernando    62.4
8 Andy    54.3

Over 50
1 Mitch    67.8 Laps
2 Al    66.9
3 Bill    65.9
4 Fernando    63
5 Chris    60.1
6 Andy    44.1

Thanks to Mitch for these photos of the starting grids from last night's race!

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/gridgt.jpg

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/gridsportscar.jpg

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/gridsportscar2.jpg

Odd Thursday on April 13th - Fifteen racers turned out on another wet Thursday night. The Trans Am cars were the first to turn a tire on the track. Terry Abbott showed his driving skill by holding off Jeff Fields for the win. Jeff was right on his heels just 2/10 of a lap back. Greg Petrolati finished third just 4/10 behind Jeff.

The next race was the Classic Sports Car Division I group for the point series race. The then current point leader Chris Kouba was not in attendance and his opponents realized this was their opportunity to make up some ground in the point standings. The racing was unbelievably close! Just 5 laps separated the first place finisher from eleventh place! When it was all over Monte Saager had edged out Mitch Brooks by 9/10 of a lap for first place. Following Mitch another 9/10 of a lap back in third, was Dan Fritz. Dan had with a tied lap count with Greg Petrolati. Dan's faster lap time gave him the position over Greg. 

For the last race of the night it was decided to give the new GT3 class cars a go. It is obvious this new class is going to provide some  very close and competitive racing! In the first race for GT3 Greg Petrolati showed how it is done, winning by 8/10 of a lap over Rico Locati. Fernando Carvalho posted a third place finish 2/10 behind Rico. The racing was so close, of the twelve racers five finished with 50 laps, three with more than 53, and three with more than 46. It was really close racing!

Thanks for coming out to race folks! It was a great time as always for me!

Here are the results:

Trans Am Class
1 Terry Abbott 54.2 LAPS 
2 Jeff Fields  54.0
3 Greg Petrolati  53.6
4 Dan Fritz 53.4
5 Mitch Brooks  52.4 - 9.882 fastest lap
6 Rico Locati  52.4 - 9.923 fastest lap
7 Bryan Dickerson  51.6
8 Al Christensen  50.5 - 9.916 fastest lap
9 Bill Bostic 50.5 - 10.028 fastest lap
10 Monte Saager  49.1
11 Fernando Carvahlo  48.2
12 John Morse  48.0
13 Amy Fields  47.8
14 Dorothy Abbott  46.7

Classic Sports Car Div.I - Official NASTE Point Series Championship Race - 2017 Season - Race No. 15
1 Monte Saager 53.8 laps - 15 points
2 Mitch Brooks 52.9  -  14 points
3 Dan Fritz  52.0 - 13 pts. - 9.673 fastest lap
4 Greg Petrolati 52.0 - 12 pts. - 9.858 fastest lap
5 Rico Locati  51.9  - 11 pts.
6 Al Christensen 51.6  - 10 pts.
7 Terry Abbott  51.3  - 9 pts.
8 John Morse 50.9 - 8 pts.
9 Bryan Dickerson  50.8  - 7 pts.
10 Bill Bostic  49.2 - 6 pts.
11 Amy Fields  48.5 - 5 pts.
12 Jeff Fields  47.8 - 4 pts.
13 Fernando Carvalho  46.9 - 3 pts.
14 Dorothy Abbott  44.9 - 2 pts.
15 Victoria Saager  44.8 - 1 pt.

Scalextric GT3
1 Greg Petrolati  54.2 Laps
2 Rico Locati 53.4
3 Fernando Carvalho 53.2
4 Dan Fritz  50.9
5 Bryan Dickerson  50.8 - 9.742 fastest lap
6 Al Christensen  50.8 - 9.850 fastest lap
7 Jeff Fields 50.6 - 9.594 fastest lap
8 Mitch Brooks 50.6 - 9.964 fastest lap
9 Monte Saager  47.9
10 Bill Bostic 46.6 - 9.866 fastest lap
11 John Morse 46.6 - 10.248 fastest lap
12 Amy Fields 41.9

Thanks to everyone that brought snacks!

Thanks Bill for another fun night of racing.  I can't believe the Killer Cobra survived a dive off the top rope without a single missing part.  Of course many of them were already missing but that's another story.

"Big Smooth"

I can't believe a Ninco AC Cobra can actually win a race!

Very nice drive Monte!!!!

Nice race there Mr. Smooth, that one heat was epic. Hopefully I'll get you next time.  Thanks Bill for a thrilling night of racing and to all for the camaraderie.

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

That was a great heat.  Need a few more like.  Until next time, may the odds be forever in your favor.

And thanks Bill.  It's a struggle with that narrow car now that they've upped their motors to the Baby King.  It may be time for a change.

"Big Smooth"

Well one of my cars made it home nto the winner's circle. To bad I wasn't the one driving it.my 250lm  was running great in practice mode. not so much in race mode. Spotted them a half lap in the 1st heat do to brad problem and had that glich problem again in the 2nd heat also..should of charged to watch that battle between mont and rico.that was classic.Sure hope we get some more lapps on the old girl before she goes.

The secondnidator

Thanks for letting me borrow that Camaro. Never came out of the slot. Can't say that about my Corvette in the second race.

Not sure if Bill has started deconstruction of to bad yet but thought I would throw this out there and see were it goes. so we have three races to go in the season correct? why dont we hold the next race at Bills and the last two at Al's so we get a even amount on each track. this is all of course up to the track owners.

The secondnidator

I like the idea Doc, but I am up to my eyeballs in MESS! I just don't think I can pull it off. I have 12 days to finish packing up my crap in my upstairs mess-o-leum, and the stuff in my garage which includes TooBad Motorplex!

Sorry guys.......

========Bill

I'd offer to host one round out here but I can personally vouch for how lousy the commute can be.

"Big Smooth"

Al told me he would be willing to take any race date I couldn't accomodate.

What do you think Al?

We can have all the odd Thursday races at RRR !!

Hey, it's a shorter drive for me.

"Big Smooth"

Monte, the commute to your place from mine is great, country roads all the way.

Everybody gets a nice drive somewhere.

"Big Smooth"

I would be happy to host Odd Thursdays as well.  The drive would be tolerable for me.

Yes there was some fantastic racing at Al's Rippin' Ridin' Raceway last night! Mitch Brooks and Chris Kouba each scored 2 wins for the night! A big thanks to Al for hosting and bringing out some of his fantastic smoked salmon and meats (we don't call him MEAT for nothin'!). Close fast racing was a great way to celebrate Al's birthday!

The results:

Trans Am
1 Chris    66.8 Laps
2 Rico    66.3
3 Mitch    65.2
4 Daniel    64
5 Bill    63.3
6 Jeff    62.9
7 Al    62.3
8 Greg    61.2
9 Monte    61.1
10 Terry    59.9
11 Casey    56.4
12 Fernando    54.3
13 Amy    54.3
14 Julie    44.3

Classic Sports Car Div.I - Official NASTE Point Series Championship Race - 2017 Season - Race No. 16
1 Mitch    66.4 Laps - 13 pts.
2 Chris    66.3 - 12 pts.
3 Daniel    65 - 11 pts.
4 Terry    63.9 - 10 pts.
5 Monte    63.5 - 9 pts.
6 Al    62.8 - 8 pts.
7 Rico    62.2 - 7 pts.
8 Bill         60.3 - 6 pts.
9 Greg    59.8 - 5 pts.
10 Jeff    57.9 - 4 pts.
11 Fernando    56.7 - 3 pts.
12 Amy    54.2 - 2 pts.