626 (edited by docdoom September 12, 2016 9:54 am)

Re: NASTE Odd Thursday Night Racing Rules & Current Thread

So there was some talk last Thursday about starting a new scaly gt3  class. We hammer out any class rules on this yet?. I was thinking something like what we are running in the Le Mans class to keep the cost down.

The secondnidator

So Im have some transport problem this Thursday.  Any way I can show up early to the track

The secondnidator

How early do you want to come by Doc? The race is at Al's.

I can give you a ride home.

629 (edited by docdoom September 14, 2016 1:32 pm)

around 3 if it works out with the wife. she has a full day of meetings at work. 3 might not even work out. so I'm a little up in the air. wont know for sure till Thursday on whats going on.....sure make things simple if I could just drive again.

The secondnidator

I hear ya there Doc!

I'll shoot Al an email and see if he will be open by 3 pm.

That would be great if he did. She has to be back to work at 4 for a match

The secondnidator

Doc, Al says you're good to come by early, around 3:00pm!

Doc, Al says you're good to come by early, around 3:00pm!

Great news that  is thanks

The secondnidator

Watch the stairs Doc.

636 (edited by docdoom September 15, 2016 9:36 am)

will do. found this online today.thought you all might get a kick out of it.
https://youtu.be/iBtJ-bngT_U

The secondnidator

637 (edited by docdoom September 16, 2016 1:51 pm)

Bill must be deep in his top secret tire lap making those super traction tires.good luck all racing on Sunday.love to be there but wife will be up north that day with my ride.

The secondnidator

Last night's Odd Thursday racing at Al's Rippin' Ridin' Raceway was exciting! We had some of the closest, hardest fought battles we have seen. It was amazing to see some many heats where all three racers were on the same lap and just feet apart throughout the entire race. I addition to racing three of our normal Odd Thursday Night Classes, we raced the second Oregon round of the Pony Car Proxy for Trans Am cars. Thanks to Al for hosting, and to everyone that brought out goodies and snacks!

Here's the results-

Le Mans Class:
1    Chris      66.3Laps
2    Gary     65
3    Daniel  64.3
4    Monte  62.5
5    Mitch  61.9
6    Greg     61.8
7    Al     61.7
8    Bill    60.3
9    Amy     56.2
10    Dennis  54.7
11    Jimmy  48.4
12    Jeff    40.7

Can Am Class:
1    Chris      70.3 Laps
2    Daniel  69
3    Bill    68.7
4    Monte  68.1
5    Gary     67.4
6    Greg   65.8
7    Amy    65.4
8    Al    64.5
9    Jeff    62.9
10    Mitch  62.5
11    Dennis  55.9
12    Jimmy  55.5

BRM Group C Class:
1    Chris      73.2 Laps
2    Al  72
3    Daniel  70.9
4    Bill  69.9

Yes, thank you Al!  Good times indeed.

"Big Smooth"

Yes it was. one little off and you could loose two or three spots in the standings. I wonder what guys were using for tires? I had BOSA TIRES on both of mine...

The secondnidator

THAT's what we want to hear (shameful plug inserted here)!

My CanAm GT40 had NSR 8.5mm tires trimmed down to 8mm (it's actually my Classics Div2 car) and the Le Mans car had Slot.It F1 shore 15 tires.  All my tires were glued with clear nail polish and trued with the file (the way we do BRM's). 

Chris

And I'd also like to echo the thanks to Al for hosting another fine night of racing.  The bar has been raised in many classes and it was great to go fender to fender with everyone.  It was very exciting with the heats of everyone finishing on the same lap and not really knowing what the results would be until they were tallied up at the end.  Things are good in NASTE-land!

Chris

Hey bill can I show up early again. Wife has work stuff she has to be at 4

The secondnidator

Hey Doc,

We are planning a test run of the Hawksbill Flyer and Chris' gravity car before the race. We may be out on the hill until about 3 pm or so. I will leave the garage door open for you and you can just come on in. I'll also leave the track on and ready to go. We should be back at the track no later than 3:30 pm. Just make youself at home. Diane wil be here if you need anything.

Thanks

The secondnidator

I can give you a ride home if you need it Doc.

Man o man was that some close racing tonight. Great job all

The secondnidator

As Dan said, the racing was close and exciting last night at the Odd Thursday Night Race! We had a good field of fourteen racers.

The first class raced was for the F1 Class. This is our most diverse class with many different divisions and types of F1 cars all racing together. Dan Fritz was scored first with his well prepared Scalextric Eagle.

After the F1 race was the Trans Am race. This was the first of six Trans Am races as part of the 2017 NASTE Point Series Championship. The race was extremely close with a tie for first place. In the 2017 point series ties will be broken by lap times. Jeff Fields had the faster lap over Chris Kouba and was awarded the win. A great start to the 2017 season for Jeff, congrats!

After the Trans Am race the field thinned out. Seven racers stayed for the BRM Group C race. These cars are always exciting on the TooBad Motorplex course! Greg Petrolati lead the way to the checkered flag while most of the rest of us beat our way through and around each other to finish somewhere behind him!

For the Over 50 Class we were down to four racers. We utilized a "track call" type format to run this race. Mitch Brooks won the race with an outstanding drive!

Here are the official results:

F1
   Amy Fields  58.0 laps - N/C
1 Dan Fritz  56.5  + First in SV Division
2 Jeff Fields  56.2  + First in MOD
3 Rico Locati  54.1  + First in Division
4 tie  Chris Kouba  53.6  + First in MND
4 tie Greg Petrolati  53.6 + First in SND
6 Gary Goose Gossett  53.3
7 Anthony Schoepflin  51.8
8 Bryan Dickerson  50.5
9 Mitch Brooks  50.1
10 Al Christensen 49.9
11 Bill Bostic + First in CCD
12 John Fisher 47.2 + First in SWD
13 Terry Abbott 43.5  + First Vintage Slot Car Division

Trans Am - Official NASTE Point Series Championship Race - 2017 Season
1 Jeff Fields 53.7 laps - 9.475 fastest lap - 14 points
2 Chris Kouba  53.7 - 9.655 fastest lap - 14 points
3 Gary Goose Gossett  53.2 - 9.871 - 13 pts.
4 Rico Locati 52.8 - 9.551 - 12 pts.
5 Greg Petrolati  52.6 - 9.873 - 11 pts.
6 Bill Bostic 51.6 - 9.909 - 10 pts.
7 Dan Fritz  51.2 - 10.179 - 9 pts.
8 Al Christensen  50.6 - 9.923 - 8pts.
9 Bryan Dickerson  50.4 - 9.721 - 7 pts.
10 Mitch Brooks  50.0 - 9.931 - 6 pts.
11 John Fisher  49.1 - 10.316 - 5 pts.
12 Anthony Schoepflin  48.0 - 10.344 - 4 pts.
13 Amy Fields  46.7 - 10.364 - 3 pts.
14 Terry Abbott  45.7 - 10.166 - 2 pts.

BRM Group C
1 Greg Petrolati    60.3 Laps
2 Dan Fritz  57.5
3 Chris Kouba    55.8
4 Al Christensen   55.2
5 Bill Bostic   55.1
6 John Fisher    54.6
7 Mitch Brooks  48.3

Over 50
1 Mitch Brooks   53.3 Laps
2 John Fisher  52.3 
3 Bill Bostic    51.4
4 Al Christensen   51.0

Racers, it has come to my attention that I made an error in the interpretationof the rules for the Point Series Trans Am race last night.  I made a call in regards to the positioning of added weight/ballast in the winning car. I made the call without referrencing a copy of the rules which I know is stupid, but I did it anyway. In light of the fact that I made the call acting as the race director I am going to let the win stand. However, I urge every racer to refresh themselves with the rules to be sure their car is legal. If you have doubts or questions regarding the rules, please ask. I promise I will not make that mistake again.

In regards to the point series standings I am adding one point to each racer's total, excluding the winner's. I feel this is fair and equitable compensation for my mistake and it's effect on the participants. I feel this is not an extreme penalty for the race winner in view of the fact the race actually ended in a tie, and if the weight bias modification had significant impact on the overall results, the best case scenario for the rest of the field would of resulted in one higher place in the finish.

This is open to rebuttal and or discussion.

The rule infraction involved weight as ballast added to the outside, specifically bottom side, of the car's chassis. See rule below regarding added weight:

Class 4 - Trans Am
This class is open to any vintage Trans Am style car, based on the American "pony cars" manufactured during the years 1966 through 1972.
Chassis - Stock manufactured chassis only (See traction magnet rule listed above as General Rule 3).
              - OK to enlarge body mount screw holes to allow body float.
              - OK to may trim off up to 1/16" around chassis perimeter for body float.
              - OK to cut off body bumpers and valance from chassis and glue onto body in stock position.
              - Weight may be added but must be positioned on the inside of the car.

Thank you, and I again apologize for my error.

===========Bill