Re: Odd Thursday Night - New Class Discussion March 2016

Just a thought about the Ninco, most of the Ninco cars are can driven motors and the black stripe motor is  bell end driven. Just an observation. Some companies make motors that can run either way, Scalextric is not one of them.

Well, it was a thought...  I know they have a good looking 550, Cobra, XKE, and probably more, so I wanted to throw them in the mix as well.  If someone wanted to be creative and get one to run in the spirit of the class, then I'd be game for it.

I am honestly looking forward to trying to tune my Monogram Mustang and a Daytona coupe.  I've wanted a class in which to race those for a long time but we never had one.  Will need tires and a motor though...

Hey Doc, Monte and I should have urethane tires for that particular car within 2 weeks, or by the next Odd Thursday from tomorrow.

Are those tires going to be ready. I did'nt put in my pg tire in thinking I had still one more week before we raced. tires for my fly and can am car

The secondnidator

Sorry guys, the new tires will not be ready for tomorrow night's race. I also thought I had another week, I didn't realize this was one of those back-to-back odd Thursday months. But we did get the new molds poured today, so we will have Fly tires by the next Odd Thursday Race!

Doc, we do still have Trans Am and some Can Am tires on hand.

roger.put me down for one pair each please.

The secondnidator

Doc I'll bring the F1.  Bill do we have Eagle and Lotus tires yet?

"Big Smooth"

Doc. I got you down for a pair of Trans Am tires. What Can Am car are you racing? We are limited as to what we have that fit Can Am cars.

Monte, Somehow the Scalextric Eagle & Lotus cars did not make the list. I just found a pair of stock tires to mold from. I think I better order more mold material!

Does the same tire fit both?

"Big Smooth"

109 (edited by ckouba April 7, 2016 8:11 am)

Just a reminder, Bill's opening early today and we'll do a race with cars prepped per the regs on page 4 (http://naste.org/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=5745#p5745).  Doors open at 3, aiming to run around 4 so we can be done and get back to the normally scheduled event for the night.

CK

Monte, I believe the Eagle and Lotus use the same tire. Dimension-wise anyway.

ckouba wrote:

Just a reminder, Bill's opening early today and we'll do a race with cars prepped per the regs on page 4 (http://naste.org/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=5745#p5745).  Doors open at 3, aiming to run around 4 so we can be done and get back to the normally scheduled event for the night.

CK

I was hoping to test my cars for this class but I cannot be there by 3:00 as I have to work to feed my family.

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

Make it when you can Rico. We can always make "test" time!!!

Thanks Bill.  I was kind of hoping to see how mine stack up against the competition, so please save results of race if you are able.

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

Will do!

115 (edited by ckouba April 8, 2016 10:30 am)

Thanks to Bill for opening up early and to those who made it out to try the new class.  As we discussed, the objective is to have a class of good-looking cars from the "Golden Era" of sports car racing (50's through 1971 to be specific) running at a slightly relaxed pace from the current Classics category for which we are permitted to do some tuning to make them fun but run them with stock motors and bodies.

Bill- Send me the file please as that will save me a whole bunch of typing.

Rico- I will post the results in this thread with who was running which car and what mods once Bill sends it.

The official rules for the Le Mans Classics Category:

Technical Specifications-

Except for the following allowances, car should be box stock.  Specifically this means-

• Stock motor

• Stock body and chassis (wheel wells may not be altered)

The allowances-

• Traction magnet must be removed

• Any rubber/urethane tires may be used

• Tires may be glued and trued on the wheels

• Guide and braid are free to replace/modify

• Guide may be shimmed to appropriate depth for track

• Grinding to fit (lead, brass, etc...) weight in is acceptable.  Grinding to remove weight is not.

• Front stub axles may be replaced with a single, solid axle holding the stock front wheels

• Use of metal gears is allowed provided they are the stock ratio (pitch may be different)

• Use of metal wheels and a replacement axle & bushing is allowed.  Wheels and tires may be of similar size/aspect ratio to the stock hardware (from any vendor), or use the Slot.It replacement kits (http://www.132slotcar.us/store/index.ph … =24_94_100).

• If wheels are replaced, the wheel itself must be appropriately detailed or period-correct inserts must be installed.

• It is permitted to glue bearings into the chassis

• It is permitted to glue the motor into the chassis

• It is permitted to apply glue inside bearings to eliminate slop of oversize bearings

• Chassis may be filed along its perimeter for float, but do not remove more than 1/16" of material.

• Valances and other bodywork may be separated from the chassis and attached to the body provided it maintains the original profiles, features, proportions, and contours of the model.

• BNOVA and similar guide repair components are acceptable for repairing existing cars but not as a tuning option

• If it's not mentioned, you can't do it.

Classes-
The category will be broken into two classes- front vs rear motored and scored as such (inline counts as REAR motored; front motor has a driveshaft between the motor output and the pinion). 

Eligibility-
Any Le Mans competitors modeled by Fly Scalextric, Monogram, Revell, or Ninco which ran in the 1971 event or prior are eligible for competition.  All entries need to use the Fly/Scaley black stripe motor regardless of chassis manufacturer

Things seemed to run well with the cars we had last night and I think this is a good start for the class.  We will go forth with these as the rules baseline and if we need to adjust, then changes will be made.  I appreciate the feedback and discussions and hope this rule set will generate a fun, new way for us to run very pretty cars which have been sitting on the shelf or in boxes for way too long.

Chris

117 (edited by ckouba April 9, 2016 3:39 pm)

The output files from the two rounds are online now:

Round 1 - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5ess … U2Z2xKbEVn

Round 2 - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5ess … pHaEgxN3g0

There are tabs at the bottom of the screen to navigate between sheets, click on the one you would like to look at.  I have added a sheet for car type and mods just to see who was running with what gear and tuning tricks. 

I look forward to seeing how this class develops, but I do have a minor concern. Going through the results and looking at the lap times, there were three cars with average lap times well below 10.5 seconds (an arbitrary number I chose as a target lap time).  There were 2 cars at 9.9 and one at 10.1- the next cars were at 10.5 and higher.  All cars will be allowed to play but we may institute a handicap system to accommodate the performance variance for strong motors.

I very much look forward to adding this class to our regularly scheduled rotation.

Thanks to all who provided feedback and helped get it set up.

Chris

The rules for the Le Mans Classic Class have been posted under the Race Rules section of the forum. They are listed in the Odd Thursday Night Racing section.

119 (edited by docdoom April 12, 2016 9:24 pm)

Are stating this class with the next odd Thursday race? if not I need to find me a classic to run for a 2nd class. and I believe the axle assy we need is SIKK044b Pro Axle Starter Kit Sidewinder 36tx19mm large hubs for the flys. can anybody confirm that?

The secondnidator

Bill can work it into the Odd Thursday rotation at the most appropriate opportunity.  I would guess that it won't be the next event though.

Chris

Next odd Thursday appears to be GT & Classsic Sports Car.

The info you have for the Slot.it Pro axle conversion kit for Fly sidewinder cars looks correct Doc.

I wanted to give racers a chance to get their new Le Mans class cars up and running before I put the class on the schedule. How about the May 5 race for the first Le Mans Class race?