Re: Odd Thursday Night - New Class Discussion March 2016

Stan I believe our club price is $2 per pair for 1/32 tires.  Get with Bill and check to see if it's one we've already cast.

"Big Smooth"

Thanks, Monte

I'm OK with wherever you guys want this class to go. From the looks of the dialog, it looks to me like you're the class sponsor on this one Chris!

On the subject of the Scalextric Sport Motors. I have a couple new in the box and the RPM rating on them is higher than what their rating of the "stock" motors. I also had one of these motors in a Trans Am Camaro and it was indeed faster. I suspect the Sport motors have a hotter armature in them. Same can just different arm. We could verify this with a simple check with an Ohm meter.

On the subject of tires, yes Monte and I are making urethane tires. We should have some available for the Fly cars within a couple weeks. We are currently selling tires for $2.00 a pair.

On the subject of "Goose Hunting", I hear it is open season!!!

HuH Mitch58: Are you picking on me per you're last comment about Goose hunting???????

No Goose, not picking on you. Just trying to run down what's in front of me, it's just most of the time it appears to be you.

When we first began discussing this class we just happened to be comparing the merits of Scalextric RTR cars to Fly RTR cars so we started to discuss racing these together. I occurs to me that Revell/Monogram also make several cars that fit into the specs that we are considering and with similar tuning could maybe be competitive with the other two. I'm wondering if we want to consider including this brand for the sake of greater variety. There might also be some who would like to participate that already own these and maybe not the others. Just a thought.

Funny you mention this...  I was also thinking the same regarding some of the similar era Carrera cars.  They would likely require a motor swap but I thought they'd fit in well with the spirit of the class as well.

My thought on the Mono-vell cars is that they seem to have a fairly stout motor, even if it is a slim can (am I think of the right ones?).  We'd have to do some comparisons, but I like the idea.

The thing I am keeping in mind as the goal for the class is:

"good looking, well-tuned, fun handling, slow-motored cars from the glory days of sports car racing that look as good as they go"

As that plays out in the rules, I am very open to the MRRC Cobras, the Carrera C- and D-types, etc...  Just need to make sure they are compatible with the Scaley/Fly baseline.

I know this is expanding the class pretty openly, but as Mitch points out- I imagine we all have some cars that have stayed on the shelf because they'll never cut it in the Classics or Classics 2 category but you'd like to run them.  This might give them a home, so I'm open to trying them all to see how they fit in.

If someone who has one (Mitch?) wouldn't mind putting some effort into setting one up so we can compare, I think that'd be a great start.

I've heard no violent objections to the option of replacing the rear axle, wheels, tires, gears at this point.  Any other opinions out there?

I hadn't thought of the Sebring chassis, I don't have any of those by Monogram.  I have an E type Jag,  Mustang, and Porsche 550 that are all front motored FC 130 motors.  As for the Sebring chassis, the only motor that fits that is below 20k is the BWA which is way to slow for this class.

I have a King Cobra and a Cobra Daytona Coupe that I'd love to see if I could get something going. They'll need considerable weight, new gears and tires, I think, but the motors are good and I love the look of them.

84 (edited by ckouba March 27, 2016 3:42 pm)

Yeah, I forgot about the Daytona Cobras, T-70 spiders, and the more accurate looking Rev-ogram Shelby Mustangs.  They handle like crap but they look so good.  I think they'd be a good add for this class.

I think it'd be a good idea to see how well these all play together and make something work out of it.

If we start to broaden it up, it may lead to a spec motor- or maybe have the Mono-Rev/Carrera cars use a black stripe?  Let's see how well they do together first.

anybody bring there fly cars to the track this odd Thursday? . I dont have any of the cars that run this week. but was going to show and see the track and maybe run a few laps with the new car and controller.

The secondnidator

I will actually miss this Thurs but intend on making the following and will be bringing a box of Flys with me. 

Chris

Hey Doc, I'm out at the Portland Swap Meet this week, but I plan on swinging by for the race after I leave the track. There should be plenty of racers and cars there, probably even one or two you could borrow to race.   ==========Bill

I have a couple of extra I can bring.

So do I, I'll bring some examples.  Doc, what did you get for a car and controller?

"Big Smooth"

fly 908 and a Difalco Neo DD301 30-Band

The secondnidator

Hey Doc, Monte and I should have urethane tires for that particular car within 2 weeks, or by the next Odd Thursday from tomorrow.

Did anyone shake any cars down at Al's last week?

I brought a couple of Revell/Monogram cars ( an E Type & Porsche 550) that I had set up just like the Fly cars, but they performed poorly.

Did anyone else run something we're building that class around?

I had my Porsche 906, Goose had a Fly 250LM out and Al took a few laps with his Scaley GT40, Oh and Greg had a couple of Fly GT40s out there. That looks to be the popular car. I think Dan was trying out a 917 but I'm not sure. we were starting to get a pretty good crowd by then. My 906 ran great. I put the newer axles and BRM wheels back on my Fly 250LM, so it's not technically eligible at this point, but it sure is more fun at home. My stock wheels are rather wobbly at this point.
I'll try to remember to bring mine to Bill's this week.

test ran fly 908 ran ok with the stock tires on it. had some wheel hop to it. most of that was due to the play in the stock axile bushings. did the super glue trick and  will see what that did for it. still need to put urethane on it. did swap in a straight axile for the steers.

The secondnidator

I did okay with my box stock Fly 512. With proper tires it would be better; with a Slot-It rear end, it would be great.
But tuned box stock runs pretty well, at least on Al's track.

I ran around a few cars and they all seemed to run just fine but I didn't have anything running against them of a similar nature at the same time for comparison.

"Big Smooth"

How about this...  For this Thurs, we have a "run what you brung" race with all these cars we've been talking about.  What I am proposing is to tune them within the spirit and intent of the class and let's just see how they run together.  For the sake of this exercise, please don't make an irreversible modification outside of what the draft of the regulations permit.

Bill has graciously been volunteered to open the track up at 3, so perhaps a 4p event just as a trial.  I know not everyone will be able to make it but we'll run with whomever does and see how these cars all run together.

The current draft of the regs is below.  They haven't changed outside of the addition of the Revell/Monogram/Ninco option:

ckouba wrote:

Except for the following allowances, car should be box stock.  Specifically this means-

• Stock motor

• Stock wheel wells (may not be altered)

The allowances-

• Traction magnet must be removed

• Any rubber/urethane tires may be used

• Tires may be glued and trued on the wheels

• Guide and braid are free to replace/modify

• Guide may be shimmed to appropriate depth for track

• Grinding to fit (lead, brass, etc...) weight in is acceptable.  Grinding to remove weight is not.

• Front stub axles may be replaced with a single, solid axle holding the stock front wheels

• Swapping gears is allowed provided it is for the identical stock ratio (pitch may be different)

• It is permitted to glue bearings into the chassis

• It is permitted to glue the motor into the chassis

• It is permitted to apply glue inside bearings to eliminate slop of oversize bearings

• Chassis may be filed along its perimeter for float, but do not remove more than 1/16" of material.

• Valances and other bodywork may be separated from the chassis and attached to the body provided it maintains the original profiles, features, proportions, and contours of the model.

• BNOVA and similar guide repair components are acceptable for repairing existing cars but not as a tuning option

• If it's not mentioned, you can't do it.

The class would be broken into two categories- front vs rear motored (inline counts as REAR motored; front motor has a driveshaft between the motor output and the pinion).  Any Le Mans competitors modeled by Scalextric or Fly which ran in the 1971 event or prior are eligible for competition as-is.  Any similarly-eligible Monogram, Revell, or Ninco models which meet the category criteria (550, Cobra, Daytona, T70, DB3, etc...) may be allowed with the allowance of a motor change to the black stripe Scaley/Fly unit.

Sounds good Chris.

Just a side note, we will be racing the same two classes we raced at Al's on the last Odd Thursday. I'm considering running the same classes at back to back races. One race on Al's track then one on mine with the same cars. For something different we could have individual race winners as well as combined race winners. 

Any thoughts?