Re: Odd Thursday Night - New Class Discussion March 2016

Tires:

Fly Porsche 906
Fly Ferrari 250LM

It's my only two stock Fly's...

"Big Smooth"

52 (edited by reek455 March 11, 2016 9:06 am)

Ferrari 512's, Chevron B19/21, Porsche 908, Lola T-70 and quite a few others that take the same tire.

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

I'm making a list.

I'd also like to add that I am not trying to discourage folks from buying Paul gage tires. He has treated our club very well in supplying us tires. I will also say that Paul Gage tires are of a higher quality than ours.

54 (edited by ckouba March 11, 2016 10:16 am)

250GTO, 250LM, 917, and 512 tires would be helpful as well.  I can't seem to find anything which fits that rim.  While you're at it, a T-70 tire maybe too.

Depending on how the Scaley's run- some 300SL/SLR, D- and C-Type...  If people have them.

I did locate a few more of my Scaley GT40's and couldn't get them to run within half a second of the Fly's.  I would be curious to try their 250GTO and see if it gets better results.  The 512's and 917's I have seem to run pretty well too, but I don't seem to have truly effective tires for that wheel configuration/

Monte, how does that 906 run? I like the looks of those but haven't gotten myself to pull the trigger. I have two bodies, a Strombecker and an Eldon but those won't do me any good here. I might put the Eldon on an MRRC Club chassis just for fun. It would be nice to see something other than Ferraris and Fords.

Also- Bill: The Slot.It F1 tires seem to fit the Fly GT40's very well.  Seeing as they fit and I am familiar with the compound, I'd recommend starting with the 917 or 512.  They don't fit on those wheels.

I am disinclined to run the Scaley GT40, unless mine are just that old and the newer ones run much better...  The Fly's run rings around them- at least on my track.

57 (edited by ckouba March 11, 2016 1:05 pm)

Mitch- I picked up a used 906 with NSR tires on the rear.  IT IS AWESOME!  Unfortunately, it has a Slot.It white motor in it so it's ineligible, but the chassis handles the power very well.  With a stock motor it would be SUPER stable.

Mitch58 wrote:

It would be nice to see something other than Ferraris and Fords.

I have 917's and 908's to tune up and intend on doing so!  There will be more than the two F brands.

Someone I have traded with on SCI has a number of cars which fit this bill for sale.  If anyone is interested, they are:

Scaley:
GT40 #95 White w/black hood, green nose
GT40 Gulf #1
GT40 #3 red
GT40 #4 gold
GT40 #11 Dk blue w/oragne stripe
D-Jag #60 White w/blue stripe
D-Jag #518 Blue

$35 each 1-2 cars shipped, $30 3-4 each cars shipped, $25 each for 5 shipped

Fly

Ferrari 512, silver no tampo
Ferrari 512 black, Playboy
GT40 #6 Blue w/yellow noce
GT40 #98 White w/blk hood
GT40 #130 White w/blue stripe
Ferrari 250 GTO #112 Blue w/yellow stripe

1-2 cars $40 each shipped, 3-4 cars, $35 each shipped, 5+ cars, $30 each shipped

Anyone interested in any of them?

60 (edited by ckouba March 24, 2016 7:58 pm)

I am going to breathe a little life back into this thread.  The current rules package proposal:

Except for the following allowances, car should be box stock.  Specifically this means-

• Stock motor

• Stock wheel wells (may not be altered)

The allowances-

• Traction magnet must be removed

• Any rubber/urethane tires may be used

• Tires may be glued and trued on the wheels

• Guide and braid are free to replace/modify

• Guide may be shimmed to appropriate depth for track

• Grinding to fit (lead, brass, etc...) weight in is acceptable.  Grinding to remove weight is not.

• Front stub axles may be replaced with a single, solid axle holding the stock front wheels

• Swapping gears is allowed provided it is for the identical stock ratio (pitch may be different)

• It is permitted to glue bearings into the chassis

• It is permitted to glue the motor into the chassis

• It is permitted to apply glue inside bearings to eliminate slop of oversize bearings

• Chassis may be filed along its perimeter for float, but do not remove more than 1/16" of material.

• Valances and other bodywork may be separated from the chassis and attached to the body provided it maintains the original profiles, features, proportions, and contours of the model.

• BNOVA and similar guide repair components are acceptable for repairing existing cars but not as a tuning option

• If it's not mentioned, you can't do it.

The class would be broken into two categories- front vs rear motored (inline counts as REAR motored; front motor has a driveshaft between the motor output and the pinion).  Any Le Mans competitors modeled by Scalextric or Fly which ran in the 1971 event or prior are eligible for competition.

Regarding wheel/axle replacements, I am inclined to allow it based on knowing that we will inevitably break them.  The stipulation is that the original wheel needs to be used to create inserts (or accurate replacements from other sources used) and the replacement wheel(s) and tire(s) need to be the same dimensions.  The objective is to retain the appropriate look for the car in period.

Philosophically, I think it's ok to have this class drift to a tuner class instead of RTR.  I fear if we don't allow the tuning options, there may be a dominant chassis but more specifically, I think we'll all get a little frustrated at running ill-handling cars at slow speeds.  I want there to be options on the table for improving the drivability while remaining a slow and pretty class, which should be guaranteed by sticking with the stock motor/chassis.  The wheels/gears/axles/tires options make enjoying the cars a possibility.

Thoughts?

CK

Thoughts...  it sounds like some of these cars need quite a bit of work to be competitive.  smile

"Big Smooth"

kidvolt wrote:

Thoughts...  it sounds like some of these cars need quite a bit of work to be competitive.  smile

Well, yes...  They are Fly's after all.

Yes, indeed.

"Big Smooth"

The motor in my front motored Scalextric Vette went south already and I replaced it with an H&R Hawk motor, it no longer qualifies, but it sure runs smoother. My Fly Porsche 906 on the other hand runs very well in it's original stock condition. I'm quite happy with it. I have to force myself to leave it on the shelf so I don't wear it out before I need it.

looks like the new guy in the mix. just picked up a new 908 off the other forum. Have to see what kind of shape the drive train is in. are replacement slot axile kits a go or no go with these cars. saw that it was up in the air still.

The secondnidator

docdoom wrote:

are replacement slot axile kits a go or no go with these cars.

Currently still up for discussion.  I am hoping we get to a consensus shortly but I am leaning toward permitting it.

Running Flys with replacement drive train will be much more fun than running stock. I for one am in favor of adopting SlotIt replacements. I have a favorite Porsche 908 that would be a super contender if allowed.

I am in agreement with Stan. Fly cars can be pretty disappointing without a rear axle and gear changes. From my experience racing these at Monte's a few years back, they don't make very good "box stock" racers. I think allowing rear axle and gear changes will put all the different makes on more equal ground.

I'm usually one of the guys constantly upgrading and swapping parts just trying to keep up with you faster drivers, and I do like driving a smooth car, but too many upgrades is what happened to our classic sports car and Trans Am classes. I'm all for improvement to the handling of these cars, I suppose the issue is Motors.  It appears that Fly and Scalextric get their motors from the same supplier, at least they both show "black stripe" motors as 'Factory" replacement motors. I personally prefer the smooth power band of the H&R Hawk motor. 
  I pulled the label off of an older Scalextric "Sport"motor the other day, it had a black stripe underneath it. Go figure. If we are considering upgrading axles are we also considering upgrading wheels? Fly wheels won't fit Slot it axles. Another point to consider, many of the Fly cars now have 3D chassis available that take slot it pods. Rules, rules, rules.
I'm just here for the thrill of the chase, or is it Goose hunting?

Having actually now read the entire thread (instead of just the last few posts) I realize that the idea was to have a class that was as much "box stock" as possible. I can vouch for the Flys being a fun class box stock, as that was the way we ran them in my old SoCal club. I would say, however, that replacing the front stubs with a solid axle would really help, putting good (as opposed to Fly stock) tires on the rear, and allowing weight makes a big difference in handling. I could live with just those mods. I have a bunch of Fly cars that would qualify, since that was what we ran in SoCal, including 512s, 908s, a 906, a T70.

I just made a (really bad) conversion of my Scaley P330 to Slot-It motor pod, axle and gears, and GT40 chassis. It could use some better tires on the rear, but otherwise runs nicely. I'm assuming it's legal for the other "classic" class.

And as far as tires go...I understand that Bill casts his own? How much for a few pairs of tires to fit the 512s, 908s, 906 and T70?

with the slot it axile stock gearing and tire size would have to stay the same.inserts installed, stock motor and chassie.  I dont want to dump a ton of cash into then either.maybe down the road we can run the same carss but up grade the 3d chassi and hotter motors ect. but for now keep them close to stock as we can.

The secondnidator

73 (edited by Goose March 25, 2016 11:22 am)

HuH Mitch58: Are you picking on me per you're last comment about Goose hunting???????

Chris: If we are going to allow Slot it rear axle/gears/wheels to be used in this new class, should we also specify a spec motor (H&R 15k or 18k) to try and keep a more level field of speed competition? I believe someone said they already had a scaley motor go dead on them.

I will be reluctant to spec a motor other than the stock black stripe.  If they prove unreliable, then we can talk about it but if we're going to change gears, tires, wheels, etc... how much of the car will still be Fly?  I think motor should stay for now.

That said, I am not sure where the intent of a RTR class came from.  Knowing Fly "quality", I think the only way the group I race with (yeah, YOU guys) would be happy with them is to be able to do some tuning and use a handful of quality replacement parts.

As far as 3d printed chassis, I can rule that out for now and always.  Those are for the "Classics 2" category.  I don't see that being in the spirit of this class.

As far as wheels, I will phrase it in this manner: does anyone object to having the option to replace your rear axle assembly with gears of an identical ratio and metal wheels and tires of appropriate size and aspect ratio (regardless of vendor)?

I know there are other quality wheel vendors out there (BWA, SCC, CB) and while the Slot.It kits are very easy, some of the wider tired cars will need wider than stock Slot.It wheels to maintain their appearance.  I want that option on the table.

75 (edited by stumbley March 25, 2016 1:50 pm)

I do not object. That option allows the beautiful Fly classics to run as well as they look. It was a suggestion that a lot of us in the old club made, but the "beneficent dictator" that ran it was adamant in keeping costs down and insisted on "box stock." In the long run it was fun, but the guys who had oodles of time and $$ to fiddle with the cars ended up being the consistent winners. These options (gears, tires, etc.) at least let us run pretty good-running cars for a little extra cash.