Re: Odd Thursday Night - New Class Discussion March 2016

Chris: with regards to; "Valances and other bodywork may be separated from the chassis" a modification to the car, and thus moving away from the "RTR" car concept of the class?

Goose wrote:

Chris: with regards to; "Valances and other bodywork may be separated from the chassis" a modification to the car, and thus moving away from the "RTR" car concept of the class?

Yeah but...

I've always felt compelled to have the body be the body and the chassis be the chassis.  I know Scaley is fond of doing this with their cars and figured it might be a good option if we wanted to have them competitive with Fly's (maybe). 

If this was a dictatorship, I'd allow it but it's open for discussion.  I personally think it's quite comparable to chassis clearancing- it's done to get the body to float effectively.  If we're going to do one, I think we should allow the other.  Otherwise I'd say we only grind to allow weight to fit in.

Are you not in favor Goose?

I think that the older Scaleys and Nincos for that matter that have the clamshell type body are a technological oddity that we have the ability to overcome, just in the name of fair play, otherwise we will all be running the same car. That being said my Fly 250Lm has been lowered, altered, parts cut off to fit a pod type chassis long before we discussed this class. After finding and reusing all of the original pieces and rebuilding the body post to get the correct height, I think I might have to invoke the 3.5 rule. That says, that from 3.5 feet away my car looks box stock. At least until I can get another one.

ckouba wrote:
Goose wrote:

Are you not in favor Goose?

I am kind of leaning to the not so in favor at this time.

I am afraid we start allowing this type of modification we are going to start having the same possible problem as in T/A class where the modified body/chassis float may be creating run-a-way cars vs the box stock body/chassis layout. I would like to start out running the the cars with no body modifications to see how well the cars run, and then have some modified body cars to run against to see if it creates a advantage, if it does then vote on the modified body into the rules.

30 (edited by ckouba March 8, 2016 11:26 pm)

Goose wrote:

I would like to start out running the the cars with no body modifications to see how well the cars run, and then have some modified body cars to run against to see if it creates a advantage, if it does then vote on the modified body into the rules.

That seems reasonable to me- but I would be inclined to take away the chassis trimming allowance as well.

How about we start out the class with NO trimming of any kind? Not for adding weight, chassis clearance or anything. Then we can see how the cars run, and as Goose noted we can make changes to the class as we go?

Bill: I like the idea you just submitted, with only the rear tire change i assume. I do question that the cars may need to have weight up front to keep guide planted.

This will all be surmised somewhere?  I need a new car.  May have to contact Tony about his new brand.

"Big Smooth"

Goose wrote:

Bill: I like the idea you just submitted, with only the rear tire change i assume. I do question that the cars may need to have weight up front to keep guide planted.

I agree, I think weight will be necessary. I also agree with allowing the replacement of Fly pinion gears, rear tire changes, and a solid axle up front. My 2 cents worth........

I know that the Fly and Scalextric sidewinder cars have room for weight. I don't know about the front motored cars.

Yes Bill, i agree with you're 2 cents worth.

Mitch; if we have a separate class for front motored cars they will all have the same weight issue, and i am sure you will find the "expert" answer for that and share you're findings with the rest of us racers.

Not me Goose,
I have a few front motored cars that I purchased just because I liked the looks of them, but their handling leaves something to be desired. I'll probably go with something in a sidewinder configuration. I have the hacked on Ferrari 250Lm (poor thing). I don't think I need another GT40 (sorry Chris). I'm leaning towards the blue Porsche 906, but it bugs the heck out of me to pay an extra $25 just to get something other than white.
Quick question though, we are talking about Scalextric and Fly cars that ran in Le Mans '71 and earlier, so does that include the Scalextric Corvette from that era? I know it is front motored, but I've never ran one and don't know if they are as clumsy as the rest. They look nice though.

Mitch: According to Chris's entry list it says "Any Le Mans competitors modeled by Scalextric or Fly which ran in the 1971 event or prior are eligible for competition". The scaley corvette is based on the 1968 model year.

39 (edited by ckouba March 10, 2016 4:37 pm)

Mitch58 wrote:

I know that the Fly and Scalextric sidewinder cars have room for weight. I don't know about the front motored cars.

Here's my thing about why I would still advocate grinding for fitting in weight:  I have tried tuning one or two of these by putting weight in them.  Once I did, they didn't want to button back up nicely.  All the interior pieces leave little space to put weight.  A modest amount of grinding solves that problem.  I remember thinking that it was a shame that to get them to run well, it looked like they were bulging at the seams.  If the whole intent is to make a pleasant class out of pretty- but slow- cars, I think it would behoove us to make sure they stay pretty as we make them enjoyable to drive.

I would like to leave the door open to grind to fit the weight in and that is why.  I am fine if other chassis grinding/trimming/valence relocating is off limits.

Any objections?

RE: Scaley Vette- game on Mitch!

I'm good with that.

Chris: I feel that is only fair to allow "trim for weight only". Hopefully that will put more different style cars on the track, and allow people to use a car they may already have and not feel pressured to purchase a new car. We need to do some fun/practice races with the different cars to get them dialed in under the (finished) rules and find out if there are enough people interested to continue with this being a Naste class.

Let's bring what we have to the next race and do some testing. The problem I'm having is that most of mine have been modified in some way making them illegal.

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

I can open the doors here at TooBad early on Thursday the17th for testing.

reek455 wrote:

The problem I'm having is that most of mine have been modified in some way making them illegal.

Yeah, I think we need a way to be able to grandfather in the cars in our stable- less away from RTR and lean more toward tuned, slower, classics.  I do want to see them all play well together.

Bill, I'll be there early with bells on!

CK

I took my Fly 250LM to Al's . it wants to run 8.7-8.6 with the occasional 8.5. Al's scaley gt40 was running a steady 8.5-8.3. My Fly GT250 was abysmal. It wouldn't get below a 9, but tires were an issue.

We're workin' on tires!

Come by whenever you want on Thursday Chris. I am going to call Glenn and see if I can go over and pick him up sometime during the day.

That particular car has an odd size rim, the center flange is 6.5mm wide, most of my wider tires are either made for a 6.mm flange or are too low profile for the 250GTO.I ordered a couple of tires with a 7mm flange from SCC to give it another go. I'll save the stock ones for you to set into a mold.

That will work Mitch, the stock ones are best to cast from.

I have a Scalextric GT40 and a Fly GT40 I plan to mold from also (with you-know-who in mind).

Anybody else have a particular car they are planning to race in this new class?

wb0s wrote:

Anybody else have a particular car they are planning to race in this new class?

Are Fly Classic tires available through the club(you)?  I know Paul Gage makes them but I would be curious to see how they would compare against each other.

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

I will be making molds for some of the Fly cars soon, maybe next week. I could use a list of potential cars we'd like to have tires for. I think our tires are softer. We are still in the developement stage. I will have more data soon.