Re: NASTE Odd Thursday Night Racing Rules & Current Thread

Greg Petrolati always has some of his beautiful Greeman creations on hand!

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_1048.jpg

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_1049.jpg

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_1050.jpg

Gary Goose Gossett brought out a new entry in the Over 50 Class. Anybody recognize this chassis?

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_1051.jpg

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_1052.jpg

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_1053.jpg

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_1054.jpg

The Goose also brought along this new offering from 3D Design. The Chap features working fans loacted in the rear of the car. Yes that's correct, WORKING fans!

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_1055.jpg

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_1056.jpg

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_1057.jpg

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_1058.jpg

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_1059.jpg

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_1060.jpg

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_1061.jpg

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_1062.jpg

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_1063.jpg

And I'll echo Rico...  THANKS Bill for a fantastic night of racing!  I thoroughly enjoy our Thurs evenings and appreciate the role of gracious host which you play, facilitating some very competitive racing.

And what great racing it is.  I was feeling good about my Trans  Am run during the race and had a great battle in the heats with Rico (I think that was him?), only to find out that even though I was only 1.4 laps from first, I was in SIXTH place!!  There was .3 laps between 3rd and 6th!!  We've got something going right here- I love the competitiveness of our classes.

I promise I'll keep the front end on the GT for the next 50's race, that car was hooked up and rocking.

Thanks again for the munchies and the great racing!

Chris

Bill & all the other racers: Thanks for the fun/hard racing & sharing of you're cars ( BRM by Chris) & snacks (Rico thanks for the hot chicken for my dinner). That close racing and finish's by only tenths sure make for great racing.

There's a couple issues with the Odd Thursday races I'd like to address. First is the motor disparity issue in the Trans Am class that has been discussed from time to time. Although the competition in our Trans Am class is the closest of all our classes, I believe it could be even better if we can get motor performance levels closer. The biggest issue seems to be the performance levels between Scalextric Standard "Black Stripe" motors, Scalextric Sport motors, and Pioneer motors. The SCX motors are clearly below the levels of all the previously mentioned motors (well, except for Rico's!). What I am proposing is a rule change requiring the use of Scalextric Standard "Black Stripe" motors in all Trans Am class cars. For those that wish to race a Pioneer car that would require a motor change to the Scalextric motor, which I believe is just a snap in replacement. For those wishing to run a SCX car it may require the implementation of the Too Bad Rule, although Monte is checking on a motor pod replacement to facilitate the installation of the Scalextric motor.

Issue number two is what I have noticed in the Classic Sports Car Class.  The performance of the cars in this class has well exceeded the original intent of the class. The class was originally designed to allow the racing of the older type sports cars that ran on skinny narrow wheels and tires. With the inclusion of the Slot.It Ford GT40 and the new availability of the 3D chassis, the flat non-motor-pod type chassis are becoming non-competitive. Rather than banning these types of chassis and leaving racers and builders with cars they have time and money invested in with no place to race them, I would like to split the Classic Sports Car Class into two divisions. One division would allow flat non-motor-pod type chassis such as the Ninco classic chassis, as well as scratchbuilt flat fixed chassis. That would mean scratchbuilt chassis without motor pods, and without any type of movement independant of the motor and rear axle mount. Therefore chassis side pans, front axle mounts, motor/axle mounts cannot be hinged or floating in any manner. The rear tire contact patch would remain at 7 mm for this division.  The second division would include all manufactured chassis  with motor pods and scratchbuilt chassis with any type of chassis articulation or movement. In addition I propose an increase in rear tire width to the spec used in our Trans Am class of 8mm measured at the contact patch to track surface.

Odd Thursday, October 29th. What a wild night of racing! Highlights included a BRM hole-in-one, John Fisher scoring 2 second place finishes, The Goose on the short end of the luck stick, and guys look out, Amy Fields is on fire!

The night of racing started with the Classic Sports Car grid. Greg Petrolati drove his awesome scratchbuilt Porsche 356 to a first place finish, but John Fisher was right on his tail finishing just 3/10 of a lap back. The Goose was just another 2/10 behind them, and John Morse finished fourth. By comaparison to the rest of the racing for the night, this was to be the end of the easy going!

When the green flag dropped on the Can Am race, Amy Fields flat left the field behind! Amy cut no one any slack posting an impressive win, setting two new traction magnet track records, and promoting herself into "No-Traction-Magnet" racer status! Make no mistake guys, Amy is a serious contender and she is getting better with each race! Congrats on your win Amy! Oh, and did I mention Jeff Fields placed second? So maybe it's the driver/tuner combination? The Goose finished fourth overall and first in the USRRC Division, with Greg Petrolati in the second USRRC position and fifth overall.

There are two things we know for sure about The Goose; 1. He is a VERY fast racer and, 2. His equipment is always well prepared! Well in the BRM race the Goose was rare (pun intended!).  The race was the typical NASTE Odd Thursday Night BRM bash fest, with one of the beautiful Porsche 962 taking a header through the track's lower access hole and onto the floor!  In true BRM Porsche 962 style there was no damage suffered. But in an almost unheard of Chet-Style turn of luck, The Goose suffered major equipment issues shuffling him back to last place in the BRM race. Yes that's right, Goose finished last!

In the Over 50 Class Al Christensen once again showed us the fast way around the track with his KTM powered Cheetah. Al's Cheetah has got to be one of the coolest cars to turn a tire at TooBad Motorplex! Al was racing this same car 50 years ago on the big commercial tracks! John Fisher pushed Al all the way to the finish but just couldn't quite get by the impressive Cheetah. And The Goose suffered mechanical issues again............

The Results:

Classic Sports Car Class:
1st Greg Petrolati 51.4 laps
2nd John Fisher 51.1
3rd  Goose Gossett 50.9
4th John Morse 49.5
5th Amy Fields 48.7
6th Mitch Brooks 48.6
7th Al Christensen 47.7
8th  Jeff Fields 45.2
9th  Bill Bostic 40.6

Can Am Class Results:
1st Amy Fields 57.5 Laps - w/TM
2nd Jeff Fields  53.4
3rd John Morse 53.2
4th Goose Gossett USRRC 51.9 - First in Division
5th Greg Petrolati USRRC 50.2
6th John Fisher 49.9
7th Mitch Brooks 49.4
8th Bill Bostic  48.8
9th Al Christensen USRRC 44.8

BRM Porsche 962 Class Results:
1st Bill Bostic 56.2 laps
2nd Jeff Fields 55.1
3rd Al Christensen 53.2
4th Amy Fields 51.6
5th tie Mitch Brooks 51.1
5th tie John Fisher 51.1
7th John Morse 46.3
8th Goose Gossett 41.0

Over 50 Class Results:
1st Al Christensen 51.1 Laps
2nd John Fisher 49.9
3rd Bill Bostic 48.4
4th Mitch Brooks 47.2
5th Gary Gossett 42.5

*N/C = non-compliant

Thanks Bill for a wild night of racing. I now get to join ranks with Mitch with a DS controller failer, or maybe i blew it up test running a over 50 Kemtron motored chassis. My turn to call Alan @ 132scotcars.

wb0s wrote:

But in an almost unheard of Chet-Style turn of luck, The Goose suffered major equipment issues shuffling him back to last place in the BRM race. Yes that's right, Goose finished last!

Thanks Bill, you just made me squirt Orange Crush out my nose.  I guess I'm just the leader of the pack with all the controller issues but it's always good to be out front.

Rico

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

Goose - Alan is gonna wonder what we are doing to those controllers down here!!!

Rico - The legends of Chet live on!!!

November 5th Odd Thursday Night. The weather is turning cool, but it was hot racing at TooBad Motorplex on this Odd Thursday night!We had some very close racing in all the classes! The F1 grid was first up for the night. The field was pretty evenly split  between  five divisions. The grid was stacked to allow same division cars to race against each other. This provided some very close side by side racing.

Next up were the Trans Am cars. The racing in this class is always very close, but with the new motor rule in place the field tightened up even more! The fastest and average lap times varied no more than a few tenths between the top six drivers. After the Trans Am class the BRM Porsche 962s hit the track. The racing in this class is always close, tonight it was borderline brutal! This is not a class for gentlemen racers or the faint of heart! We finished off the night with the over 50 Class race. Racers have been massaging and improving theirs cars since the inception of the class. The performance of the OVER 50 cars has almost reached the level of the BRM Porsche 962s!

Here are the results:

F1 Class Results:
1st Amy Fields MD 53.8 Laps - N/C w/TM
2nd Goose Gossett END 53.7 - First in Division
3rd Bryan Dickerson 53.6
4th Bryan Trachsel SVD 53.5 - First in Division
5th Bill Bostic SVD 52.8
6th Jeff Fields MD 52.2
7th Greg Petrolati SWD 51.3 - First in Division
8th Mitch Brooks SND 48.4 - First in Division
9th Al Christensen SVD 43.2

Trans Am Class:
1st Amy Fields 54.5 laps - N/C wT/M
2nd Goose Gossett 53.6
3rd Greg Petrolati 52.6
4th Bryan Trachsel 52.4
5th  Bryan Dickerson 51.0
6th  Bill Bostic 49.9
7th  Jeff Fields 48.1
8th  Mitch Brooks 47.0
9th  Al Christensen 46.5

1st - tie Gary Gossett 58.2 laps
1st - tie Bill Bostic 58.2
3rd Bryan Dickerson 56.9
4th Al Christensen 50.9
5th Mitch Brooks 49.2

Over 50 Class Results:
1st Al Christensen 52.3 Laps
2nd Bill Bostic 52.2
3rd Bryan Dickerson 50.9
4th Goose Gossett 50.5
5th Mitch Brooks 47.1

*N/C = non-compliant

Sorry I had to miss the action, but parental duty prevailed and I dutifully went to parent teacher conferences.  I hope to make it for the Sunday NASTE race.

You are a good man as well as a good parent! Plus you helped me move up a spot!!!

What a fun night of racing! Really great to see the close lap finish's. We have a great group of drivers and car builders. Bill you have done a wonderful job of managing the rules to keep the competition so close. Congrats to Al for another 1st place finish, he can really drive that Cheetah! I had a great time racing with Bryan with our Tyrell F-1's. And i did not burn up another controller, thanks to my old "Godzilla" i dusted off and brought out for race duty!

Thanks Bill for another wonderful evening.

November 19, 2015 Odd Thursday Night Racing - We had a great turnout with a starting grid of 16 for the first race. We also had the pleasure of meeting a new racer from the Portland area, Jeff and his daughter Jessica. We hope they had a good time!

First up was the GT Class race. The racing was very close with only five laps separating first through tenth. The top four all had fast lap times under the nine second mark.

The Can Am Class was the second race of the night. Although Amy again showed us all the way to the finish line, her win was recording as a N/C (non-conforming) which gives the official win to The Goose. Amy's Slot.it McLaren is super fast and Amy can get it around the track very quickly, which she proved by setting a lap record of 8.449 seconds (traction magnet assisted). Greg Petrolati finished ffirst in the USRRC Division of Can Am.

The BRM Class race. Holly poop through the fan Batman! The BRM race was brutal! There were absolutely no holds barred in this race! The race deteriorated to the point of red neck destruction derby standards! Nobody won, but The Goose did manage to complete the most laps!

After we all regained some composure, we raced the Over 50 Class. The Goose pulled off his third win of the evening, winning the Over 50 Class by two and a half laps! It was a good night for The Goose!

I'd like to note here that we have been experiencing a lot of DS Controller failures. I believe the problems arise when racers use their DS Controllers to run the Over 50 Class cars. Many of the Over 50 Class car's motors can expose your controller to much higher current or amperage than the 1/32 cars. We have seen multiple brake potentiometer failures as well as damge to the controller's circuitry. I would recommend using a controller specifically designed for 1/24 cars to run your Over 50 Class cars.

Results:

GT Class:
1st Rico Locati 59.0 laps
2nd Chris Kouba 58.8
3rd  Greg Petrolati 56.9
4th Gary Goose Gossett 56.7
5th Dennis Hart 56.0
6th Terry Abbott 55.8
7th Bill Bostic 54.2
8th  Bryan Dickerson 54.1
9th  Dorothy Abbott 53.6
10th Amy Fields 53.5
11th Victoria Saager 50.6
12th Jeff Fields 50.4
13th Monte Saager 49.2
14th Al Christensen 48.7
15th Mitch brooks 48.6
16th John Morse 47.9

Can Am Class Results:
N/C Amy Fields 59.6 Laps -  w/TM
1st  Gary Goose Gossett  58.1 laps
2nd Chris Kouba 56.3
3rd Rico Locati 56.0
4th Monte Saager 55.3
5th Jeff Fields 54.1
6th Bryan Dickerson 54.0
7th Greg Petrolati USRRC  53.7 - First in Division
8th Mitch Brooks USRRC 51.9
9th John Morse 51.5
10th Bill Bostic USRRC 50.5
11th Dennis Hart 48.6
12th Victoria Saager 47.3
13th Al Christensen 47.0

1st Gary Goose Gossett 61.0 laps
2nd Rico Locati 59.9
3rd Bill Bostic 55.2
4th Al Christensen 53.5
5th Bryan Dickerson 53.2
6th Mitch Brooks 50.6
7th Chris Kouba 50.5
8th John Morse 50.0

Over 50 Class Results:
1st Gary Goose Gossett 54.7 Laps
2nd Rico Locati 52.2
3rd Bryan Dickerson 51.7
4th Al Christensen 51.6
5th Chris Kouba 49.2
6th John Morse 48.4
7th Mitch Brooks 44.3
8th Bill Bostic 42.1

*N/C = non-compliant

Thanks Bill for another wildly entertaining evening of racing.  Those of you that left after the GT and CanAm races missed a rock em, sock em BRM race.  We all know Bill's initials are B B with the first B for Bill.  I'm suggesting that may be incorrect, I think it stands for BRUISER after the way he bulled through the field last night.  I'm also glad I wasn't in any heats with him. 

Rico

Hi Bill: Thank you for another great evening of racing and snacks. A note to Mitch58, sorry for the bumps you had laid on you by last night by me, you do not deserve that, my apologies.
Bill, thank you for letting us add the usrrc/can-am class, those cars look really neat running around the track, like the t/a class cars do.

You guys are very welcome! I love the Odd Thursday Nights, I really have a good time!!!

Chris, I am extremely sorry for the times I may have gotten into you a little and bumped you out.................................................
Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!!!! .............that even SOUNDS hillarious!!!!..........................
"gotten into you a little", "BUMPED you out", "SORRY"...........Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!!!!  I crack myself up!!!!!

In my best Princess Bride imitation:

"Sorry.  You keep using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it means"

We had a great time as well.

"Big Smooth"

Inconceivable

As it turned out, last night was a record setting night!

In Can Am: Amy set a new Traction Magnet assisted record lap at 8.449 seconds.
                  Goose set a new lap record at 8.913 seconds and a race record of 58.1 laps completed.
                  Greg set a new USRRC lap record at 9.773 seconds and a race record of 53.7 laps completed.

In Over 50: Goose set a new race record of 54.7 laps completed.

Oh yeah, and I set a record booting Kouba at least 10 times!!!! Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha,.....................truth be known, I think he lost more laps laying back waiting for me to initiate his "pay back"!!!!! Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.............................man I love that class!!!!!

wb0s wrote:

Oh yeah, and I set a record booting Kouba at least 10 times!!!! Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha,.....................truth be known, I think he lost more laps laying back waiting for me to initiate his "pay back"!!!!! Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.............................man I love that class!!!!!

Why limit yourself to just one class? You've never hesitated to punt someone in ANY class that I remember.

Ooh, good point!

I don't know why, but it's just so much more fun with the BRMs!!!!

Anybody got an extra BRM 962 body?

"Big Smooth"