Topic: NASTE 2016 - Race 4

I had a great time yesterday. Thank you to all that were able to make it out to do some racing! And thanks to everyone that brought snacks along!    =========Bill

Re: NASTE 2016 - Race 4

And thank you for hosting, we had a great time too.

"Big Smooth"

What a wild and crazy day of racing and I enjoyed every minute of it.  Thanks Bill and Diane for hosting another wild and wacky NASTE race.  I'm still not sure how I survived the Nak spec mayhem and placed third but I will take it. 

Rico

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

I thought grouping racers by novice, intermediate, and expert provided for some good door to door racing. Anyway it seemed to me the races were closely contested. I saw many really good on track battles!

Bill: Thank you & Diane for having me over for a fun "Sunday mass" day of racing. And thanks to all for sharing the snacks with me.

Thanks for coming out and Womping me!!!!

Sounds like a great race Bill. I'm sorry we missed it, but we've been sick for over a week now and looks like there is no end in sight. sad We just didn't want to pass it on to any one else as it's been awful. Really missed racing on your track though. smile

We missed you guys but we appreciate you not giving whatever it is to us!!!!

Results?

Mitch58 wrote:

Results?

Patience Grasshopper

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

Everybody is busy with the enduro in Tacoma this week/weekend.

Results!  You want results.  You can't handle results...

Soon.

"Big Smooth"

That's right, the enduro. Have fun with that. One of these times I'll have to join you. This week is just not do-able. Are they going to broadcast it live like last time?

Possible, won't know until we get there.  I'll post a link if possible.

"Big Smooth"

So, how did you guys do? More importantly, did you have a great time?

Had a great time and did well with a top 10 finish (there were 9 teams entered).  Your humble NASTE team (The Oregon Donors) finished a modest 7th, only 31 laps out of 6th, which would have been a much more desirable finishing position.  Try as we might, we just couldn't close the gap to the PSSRA team in the end.

This year, Team BRM took the top step of the podium, with locals STP (Jeff and Colin Gartner, Barry Something, Brett Harrison & Scott "Monquispot" M) coming in second.  Narrowly missing out on that second step of the podium were The Energeezers, mostly from BC (Darren Morris, Alwyn Something- no relation to Barry, Gord Heath and ME!), came in third.  Two more local teams came in next- Team Brumos lead by John Powers, and Team EMSA lead by Pat Clifton, claiming fourth and fifth ahead of PSSRA and us.  The Piper-Attwood team came in next (eighth), lead by Alan himself, and rounding out the field in ninth was a family based team lead by Eddie and Jackie, who'd never run a slot car race before but still managed to do a great job keeping the car running.

Most every team had motor issues, some electing to change them out and some soldiering on bleeding.  Starting with the one which came in the car, we proceeded to remove and install an additional FOUR more for a total of- count them(!)- five motors.  We weren't the worst though.  Alan's team ran through SIX of them...  So yeah, bad batch of motors.  They had a number of them cut apart before the end of the race for a little failure analysis and will be paying a call/visit to the manufacturer.  The refreshing part is that Alan is standing behind his offerings and will be refunding or crediting back the cost of the motors.  Class act. 

The motor we finished on was manufactured from a different batch.  Alan handed them out late in the race.  I wasn't sure it'd be worth changing but we really had little to lose, so we did.  Happily, it was a strong runner, and with WAY less time spent in the pits than last year, we were actually able to get out and pull some ground back on other teams.  Just not enough after 5 motor changes, although I was pretty quick with them after the first 2 or three...

It still is a bummer that mechanical woes so strongly influenced the results of the event, but it was still a very good time.  With fewer teams entered, it wasn't a NASCAR experience in the turns and there was a decent chance of you car surviving any given off (there were many).  Our car picked up its share of scars but is returning home in MUCH better shape than the McLaren of last year.

For next year, I would like to see at least 5 people on the team.  Start marking your calendars now- probably the second week of November if it's anything like the prior two years.  It's a good time!

In closing, I must tip my hat to my colleagues for covering the marshalling duties while I did double duty on the Energeezers.  It's not glamorous to marshal, especially for an hour at a time in the wee hours of the morning, but Stan, John, and Monte were absolute troopers to support my addiction.  Thanks for enabling me!

I ended up not taking many pics, and the ones I did get were on my cell phone, so they're not that good.  I will take a couple of the car when I finally get unpacked but here are the post-practice/pre-start condition (note the patina already taking shape), an extremely blurry action shots to prove it moves, and a zoom in on the monitor at the end of the circus, showing us 31 laps out of 6th after 9,841 laps of racing.

Post-practice/Pre-start:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/2nlBESh5_zwPnXl6mIQi_8_Q6aTn6Murx6LSPqrt7SMAz4pAKQPeRz3F81Kv0eH7Gr0A0yPOIKh4hZiNId-7Ao6f-O1WJfYbVejTvm5VXLPw_9lq7e4Nb6N8CAtE-E_NAwJKz3clGafVyfngbYTCj9mAod1pa8CZkGf5d-JtwQdplf2_Yl0NsDPNmtWJcUhagFQpiiIWjSGkHStMDoxiLKaYn_k8QGS2Nt2BP_vLwNEVuufwVfNpVCQHXCJtQaY8JePm-SRexPTkAuj6cprWzKOla0hGccx5PgLxpvObq0vhWEi5MAqOCUKmS5qBvdNGCOEpwcTUFLdGU5061GQihY_oNMrBopO1LVTamFxGRatX6S9plLpQN9LPwr0zo00HL_POhxdjUCO3f0iW0LMcJk1wq6NfEmz9qBg9tiegEkBxvLTclG4eihNpmoHynxE0m-NN76w1hbK90aSkSIS_6RhRBOdb5rPxpzshX6KZJwgJOQIZurE2fNO2aKVqJ1myfMNhRt7EdDca4YgdMNV3AkIULAe7eewqRzxRvEepy4JT=w1698-h955-no

IN MOTION!!!:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/dVbnbbAiDHryDU5tpqO4YjGWO6HI93V76jDnU-tOxRnUToidzxe5kMllVZfni3TFdh7n98DC4GDLgnW9Vc1ELUdi9HuDA5LXNKJOuM3CPukPJRVt6jLDM8bK2Cr2jpPFQ8SAFMKf1fCeI0gyjB9NPlqnOznQE6wnFL5zeVqSN6-sfTPRl1fTzBZnPZifmMaN1nS_Dx2c-bVedRKJlqaU9GqmGs7Rwocrov2py9L7pV6aAs1A9-CXbiBJqaQr6288tiXYr8-3OL6sGXMRsYpuArkI3hbgl1yiL2uUIX8BepJ3slICp9bNfccpA6TGbFvFwtq-RUH6EARcLY1iH6AU_YctAgKe191BunVf7ElhYOx7HFsslWjKBRgT45pXxuTHfqnYg0D8lZZNemsvhbbQDcTs_t2FOAk6QZZbqQhfrGm4_KPSJjOV870RXScJeUCg533C3IIacEzNWowwPpFOYlWql1kjeBEWuvJENrauocHV2iy58IUrWmLgQw0jMZL_fqD4RXLDSbpHyFYNv7XDf2v-tW3iBBSA1m9Pitv7OUVC=w1698-h955-no

The scoreboard:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/--tBu27vpSrg/VkmZoUoNz6I/AAAAAAAAX8g/x7rVyTq8YdI/s1280-Ic42/20151115_120140.jpg

It was a great time and gets better as the memories of failing motors fade.  Put this on your calendar for next year, you won't regret it.

Chris

Great report Chris.

I'd like to point out that at the midway point we were 4th or 5th.  But as stated - when you have to keep swapping motors and to Chris credit it was only a 15 minute time loss each time - it's still a lot of ground to make up.  Ask Tony's team who took almost one entire 51 minute heat to get a motor swapped.

The car ran really well.  I was hoping we would have gotten a Ferrari but a Porsche it was.  There was no slide of the rear tires, it was grip 'til you tip.  And the most important advice - don't be the rider.

Best moment - seeing us 4th in front of most of the heavies.  Worst moment - seeing the new motor we just swapped in was slower than the failing one we took out.

I'd like to thank Victoria for driving me home after the event.

"Big Smooth"

You guys ROCK!!!

Thanks for the race report!!!