Re: NASTE Odd Thursday Night Racing Rules & Current Thread

Again in an effort to better track race results and statistics, for the upcoming vintage F1 race this Thursday I will be asking racers to declare what class their F1 entry is competing in. I'm sure this process will be confusing at first and it will take a few races for us to all get a system down. To serve as a quick referrence for which cars fit into what classes I have made a consolidated list below:

Class 5 - F1 – short referrence sheet
Divisions:

Cartrix Classic Division - (CCD)

Scalextric Historic Division - (SHD)
Cooper Climax, Ferrari 375, Ferrari 156 Sharknose, Maserati 250F, Vanwall

Scalextric Vintage Division - (SVD)
Lotus 49, Eagle, McLaren m7c low wing, Brabham BT26/3
*this class has 19 or 20mm dia x 10mm wide rear tires - measured at contact patch.

Early Nostalgic Division - (END) (Scalextric, Fly, Etc. - early '70s cars)
Lotus 72c low rear wing, Tyrell 002 low rear wing
*this class has 22mm dia x 12mm wide rear tires - measured at contact patch.

Mid Nostalgic Division - (MND) (Scalextric, Fly, Etc. - mid '70s cars)
Ferrari 312t2 low wing, McLaren m23 low wing
*this class has 18mm dia x 15.5 wide rear tires - measured at contact patch.

Modern Division - (MD)
Scalextric A1 GP

Scratchbuilt Narrow Division - (SND)
Open to scratchbuilt F1 cars with narrow rear tires

Scratchbuilt Wide Tire Division - (SWD)

Feel free to copy this list and print it out if you'd like.

============Bill

I received this email from Beau:

"I saw the latest class addition to the Odd Thursday line up. Looks like fun! I found a source for fiberglass bodies in the UK . www.bettaandclassic.com . Under their listing, Classic Bodies, they have several CanAm bodies that would expand the style choices within the years provided in the rules. If you punch up the Home page you'll have several choices one of which is Classic Bodies. These are the fiberglass bodies. Some of them are represented in Poly for some reason. Most are in fiberglass".

If anyone is interested in putting together an order please contact Beau. He said he would wait about a week before placing the order.....Beau

After more discussion at Thursday's race it was decided Slot.it cars such as the Ford GT40 would be allowed to compete in the Classic Sports Car Class. However, please remember the RTR or stock Slot.it Ford GT40 will require a motor change to an 18,000 RPM maximum motor, and a maximum rear tire tread width of 7mm to meet the class requirements.

==========Bill

Odd Thursday on September 3rd - 15 racers on hand and a wild night of racing!

First on the grid were the Vintage F1 cars. Beau Frazier showed up with a beautifully built Sharknose Ferrari. Beau scored his first Odd Thursday Night win with an impressive 57 lap run. Impressive for a Scratchbuilt Narrow Tire Division car, even with a traction magnet in place! I can't wait to see how this car runs without the traction magnet! In addition to Beau scoring the overall win, The Goose was first in the Scalextric Vintage Division, Amy was first in the Modern Division, Greg was first in the Scratchbuilt Narrow Tire Division, and Dennis was first in the Scalextric Historic Division.

The highlight of the night had to be the near ignition of Rico's controller! In F1 race his controller emitted a cloud of smoke reminiscent of the Mt. St. Helens eruption! Afterwards Rico commented that his newly acquired no-brake condition might have been an improvement! At any rate he still posted a second place finish only 1/10th of a lap behind race winner Chris Kouba with his stock Ninco Corvette! Al Christensen and Amy Fields tied for third place just one more lap behind Rico. The racing was so close, there was less than two laps difference between first and eighth!

Nine racers were able to stick around to run the BRM cars. As usual for the class the racing was brutal! The punishment these cars seem to just take in stride is amazing! In a shocking turn of events I was able to BEAT my way into the first place spot, literally! This is not a race for timid or kind racers. It's nerf or be nerfed! If I unintentionally pissed anyone off with my "BRM Class racing technique/etiquitte, well.......to bad!

Al Christensen posted his first win in the Over 50 Class with his awesome KTM powered Cheetah. Al has been massaging this car since he started racing with us, and now it is started to really perform! Al was able to beat Rico's killer Vette by 4/10th of a lap. A commendable feat!

Here are the results:

F1 Class Results:
1st Beau Frazier SND 57.0 Laps - w/TM
2nd Jeff Fields MD 55.9 - N/C - T/M
3rd Goose Gossett SVD 54.8 - First in Division
4th tie Chris Kouba SVD 50.7
4th tie Amy Fields MD 50.7 - First in Division - T/M
6th Gary Howie Howard SVD 50.3
7th Greg Petrolati SND 49.8 First in Division
8th Bill Bostic SVD 49.4
9th Al Christensen SVD 48.5
10th John Fisher SVD 47.7
11th John Morse SVD 47.5
12th Dennis Hart SHD 46.1 - First in Division - T/M
13th Rico Locati SVD 45.1
14th Monte Saager SND 44.9
15th Mitch Brooks SVD 43.6

Classic Sports Car Class:
1st Chris Kouba 51.5 laps
2nd Rico Locati 51.4
3rd  tie Al Christensen 50.4
3rd tie Amy Fields 50.4 - N/C non-elligible car
5th  Gary Gossett 50.2
6th  John Morse 50.0
7th  Monte Saager 49.9
8th  Jeff Fields 49.6
9th  Greg Petrolati 48.8
10th Mitch Brooks 47.9
11th Gary Howie Howard 46.0
12th John Fisher 45.8
13th Dennis Hart 44.6
14th Beau Frazier 43.3
15th Bill Bostic 41.6

BRM Porsche 962 Class Results:
1st Bill Bostic 60.6 laps
2nd Chris Kouba 60.1
3rd John Fisher 59.5
4th Rico Locati 58.9
5th Goose Gossett 58.2
6th Beau Frazier 58.0
7th John Morse 57.6
8th Al Christensen 54.0
9th Mitch Brooks 49.0

Over 50 Class Results:
1st Al Christensen 53.6 Laps
2nd Rico Locati 53.2
3rd John Fisher 51.5
4th Goose Gossett 50.9
5th Chris Kouba 50.5
6th John Morse 48.0
7th Bill Bostic 46.3 - N/C
8th Mitch brooks 42.9

*N/C = non-compliant
Note - There was a scoring error in the BRM Class race. One extra lap had been recorded for first place. First place scoring total was corrected on these results.

Bill: Thanks for fun/wacky night of hard racing and good snack to munch on.

Wow - another great night of racing, rambling, and razzing. Missing a few weeks then coming back makes one realize how much this hobby is missed. Thanks to everyone again for the help and advice, special thanks to Chris for fixing the gear mesh on my BRM and imparting his special Kouba turbo mojo on it !!. I don't know if its the tightening up on the rules but man there were some close races last night, really cool to see detailed cars all of an era battling it out all on the same lap, personal best for me was getting 50 laps in the classic sports cars, amazing how staying in the slot can improve lap count! Also if anyone needs something turned or machined please know that you are welcome to come over, I have a small lathe that's fun to play with, Thanks again, John.

John, it was great to see you back on the grid last night! You have been missed!

============Bill

Some photos from the Sept.3rd race:

Not sure what to say about this one! Goose & Mitch pre-race....
http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_0817.jpg

How about these beautiful Over 50 Class entries from John Morse!
http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_0830.jpg

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_0831.jpg

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_0832.jpg

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_0833.jpg

Here's Beau Frazier's Vintage F1 Class winner. Beau dominated the Vintage F1 Class with this car equipped with a traction magnet. I think even after he removes the traction magnet this scratcbuilt beauty is going to be a class contender!
http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_0826.jpg

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_0827.jpg

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_0828.jpg

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_0829.jpg

Odd Thursday Night, September 17th. Twelve racers in attendance, and the usual amount of slot car abuse!

Highlights: In the Trans Am race seven tenths of a lap separated first from fourth! Mitch lost wheels three times!I won the GT race but, I had to use Chris' car to do it! The typical brutal passing techniques were used in the BRM race with Chris coming out on top. Chris took the win in the Over 50 Class with his Cox Ford GT40 sporting a beautiful new body prepared by John Morse!

Thanks to all that made it out! It was a great night of racing, and I for one had a blast!

Trans Am Results:
1st Jeff Fields 53.0 laps - Fastest Lap of the Race 9.559 N/C TMAG
2nd Chris Kouba 52.7
3rd Bill Bostic 52.6
4th Greg Petrolati 52.3
5th Goose Gossett 52.0
6th Glenn Heath 50.6
7th Al Christensen 48.8
8th Amy Fields 48.7
9th John Morse 47.7
10th Monte Saager 47.3
11th Victoria Saager 44.2
12th Mitch Brooks 40.1

GT Class Results:
1st Bill Bostic 62.0 - 8.326 Fastest Lap of the Race
2nd Chris Kouba 60.2
3rd Goose Gossett 59.2
4th Greg Petrolati 55.8
5th Glenn Heath 55.5
6th Monte Saager 55.4
7th Jeff Fields 53.9
8th Amy Fields 51.3
9th Al Christensen 50.8
10th Mitch Brooks 48.2
11th Victoria Saager 47.8
12th John Morse 45.0

Over 50 Class Results:
1st Chris Kouba 53.7 laps - Fastest Lap of the Race 9.397
2nd Bill Bostic 52.7
3rd Al Christensen 52.1
4th Goose Gossett 50.9
5th John Morse 46.6
6th Mitch Brooks 45.2

BRM Porshe 962 Results:
1st Chris Kouba 61.0 -  8.476
2nd Goose Gossett 60.2 - 8.543
3rd Greg Petrolati 57.3 - 8.728
4th Bill Bostic 56.7 - 8.313 - Fastest Lap of Race
5th Al Christensen 56.5 - 8.931
6th Jeff Fields 56.1 - 9.092
7th John Morse 51.4 - 9.015
8th Mitch Brooks 50.3 - 9.279
9th Amy Fields 48.8 - 9.430

Bill,

Thanks for yet another awesome night of racing!  I happened to come out near or at the top of all the races but holy cow what a night of close heats.  I had two heats next to the Flying Goose where we went pretty much wheel to wheel for lap after lap.  Super close racing with great competitors, what a combination!  Thanks for playing host.

And then, to John Morse, THANKS for one of the coolest presents ever!  John built me a Mk II GT40 in with an official Kouba livery on it.  It looks AWESOME!!!!!  See for yourself:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/X_8SAY42GLMqaCXJkTzxpl7AkFD3-AiKAKDoghg5rcVDTtxoyOUOvXtIoyg7GD6lU8-BZi6bvLoq9hPlkp5KmpCp2M8_T45vjuOjVvb1Zqm96EcfbYK5nUknh7J0cHLNq9meY5OTkVwPTrlXWUY-92nlAggjKduwrUL8oLU7QKGLlCNB0bndwn1JYI8PFiwJjgJBWBS8j5JEuqi09SLGn32yXLOThT_zSjL7yvWVK5lNpuXP6Nx5QII9CZFHn1AHCMH196P3PAoIJ9d_JNXzCZUAmEyVy0-I13iHYDHAPA9q0B40bXfk2UA4lVytPNbw9Dv6khSewRq2u6Ft86c8aU0hPAMqXRClCsHNXEBFZh_FB6uX6Pofiw0YHSA8zjVMoZOw8y09Ri2_hjWYe4H7gJgyW65Y6lQ29NTCKKgw79iP6FbvVCWVh7OvUvJdKXsFL9N3H861-jsGAgeq96PDFqVzPsY_bkNHUv3y4UUG7-0Iew4ylnH8Xd-4f0pmr8bKuBcAB54uL2AY7wRPoZxsXKnpcVXHAGD4490kBQ3w6ZGB=w1143-h643-no

More pics of it here:

https://goo.gl/photos/wUVY2mZNYChdy8Se7

THANKS JOHN!!!!!

Looking this good, I thanked John for such a gorgeous body, then mounted it on my chassis and promised to beat the crap out of it.  I went out, crashed it a little bit to chip the spoiler for character, and won its very first race for the Over 50 class as well.  What a ride!  Will be hard to top next Odd Thurs.

Thanks again Bill and thanks a LOT John!

Chris

Chris, Maybe we should call you Chip?......................fits well with potato Chip also!!!

This Thursday's race on Oct. 1st will include the running of Greg Petrolati's Last Open Road Proxy. My plan is to get things rolling on the proxy promptly at 4:00pm. After we complete the running of the proxy we will move right into the scheduled Odd Thursday Night classes.

Odd Thursday Night October 1st, 2015 marked the first race for the new Can Am/USRRC Class. In addition to the usual classes of racing we ran two races for Greg Greenman Petrolai's Last open Road Proxy. We got the proxy races started early and completed both races by 6:45pm, just 45 minutes later than we normally start the Odd Thursday Night races. We welcomed two new racers to TooBad Motorplex, Jane Lapointe and Mike Daily. We hope they get a chance to come back and race with us again!

The first Odd Thursday race was with the new Can Am Class. There were 11 racers with 3 entries in the USRRC Division and 8 in the Can Am Division. Rico Locati scored the win over Monte Saager by just 1/10th of a lap. Gary Goose Gosset scored the USRRC Division win with his MRRC Cheetah less than five laps behind the overall winner. The top four overall finish positions were less than two laps apart. It was a very close race!

Next up were the Classic Sports Cars. The competition in this class has become very close as racers refine their cars and improve their skills on the track. Jeff Fields thrilled the crowd by throwing enough wheels from his car during his heats to keep three NASCAR pit crews busy! Rico Locati lead the way with Gary Goose Gossett just 1/10th of a lap behind. Another extremely close finish for the evening! In this class just three laps covered first through seventh!

By the time we got to the BRM Porsche 962 Class a few of the racers had left. With that said we still had an outstanding BRM race! Monte Saager took the win by a mere 5/10ths of a lap! Yes, another very close finish!

Last but not least was the Over 50 Class race. Rico Locati got out front and stayed there with his awesome Classic chassied Corvette Grand Sport. Monte Saager finished second two laps back.

Thank you to all that made it out to race, and a special additional thanks to those that brought goodies, and especiall to Jeff & Amy for bringing ICE!!!

Results:

Can Am Class Results:
1st Rico Locati 55.7 laps
2nd Monte Saager 54.8
3rd Jeff Fields 54.7
4th Bryan Dickerson 54.4
5th Glenn Heath  53.0
6th Greg Petrolati USRRC 51.6 n/c car change
7th Goose Gossett USRRC 51.3 - First in Division
8th Amy Fields 49.2
9th Bill Bostic 47.8
10th Mitch Brooks USRRC 46.9
11th Jane Lapointe 35.4

Classic Sports Car Class:
1st Rico Locati 52.3 laps
2nd Goose Gossett 52.2
3rd  Monte Saager 51.0
4th tie Bill Bostic 50.3
4th tie Greg Petrolati 50.3
6th Bryan Dickerson 50.1
7th Amy Fields 49.2
8th  Jeff Fields 47.8
9th Mitch Brooks 47.2
10th Mike Daily 44.4
11th Glenn Heath 42.6
12th Jane Lapointe 40.7

BRM Porsche 962 Class Results:
1st Monte Saager 59.0 laps
2nd Bill Bostic 58.5
3rd Mike Daily 55.9
4th Rico Locati 53.8
5th Mitch Brooks 51.4
6th Goose Gossett 46.7

Over 50 Class Results:
1st Rico Locati 53.2 Laps
2nd Monte Saager 51.0
3rd Goose Gossett 47.7
4th tie Mike Daily 47.5
4th tie Bill Bostic 47.5
6th Mitch Brooks 45.4

*N/C = non-compliant

Thanks Bill, great time last night.  As always it's not so much what you're doing but who you're doing it with.

"Big Smooth"

391 (edited by reek455 October 2, 2015 12:51 pm)

Thank you Bill for hosting our Odd Thursday gatherings, I had a good time right up until the very end.   I hope you all had a good time ribbing me for my misfortunes last time out, but I will let last night's performance speak for itself and in the words made famous by Rick Nueheisel "Score board, baby".  CU all next time when we can take up our good natured bantering once again.

Rico

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

Hard to dispute a performance like your's last night!  3 wins out of 4 races speaks for itself!  Very nice!

We could have very well seen another clean sweep last night had you not suffered mechanical issues in the BRM class!

Bill: Thank you for another fun filled "fast & furious" Thursday night of rock an sock-em racing. The competition is really closing up! I really enjoyed driving the proxy cars around. I hope people enjoyed the new class, and looking forward to seeing some more car examples out there. Thanks to you Bill & Rico for sharing a car with me to get thru the night.

Amy Fields' Can Am entry. The beautiful red paint job was done by Jeff Fields.

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_0887.jpg

Thanks Bill for another wonderful night of Rock 'em Sock 'em slot car racing.  It was certainly an entertaining night of racing with some rather spectacular crashes and some close intense on track battles.  Also thanks to Chris for letting us abuse his BRM 917/512M cars.

Rico

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

The BRM race was 917/512?

"Big Smooth"

We actually ran two BRM races! For the last race of the evening Chris let us run his BRM Porsche 917s and a new BRM Ferrari in an IROC format!

Well, it was great fun while I lasted...

"Big Smooth"

Yes, last night was one hell of a night of racing here on an Odd Thursday! Rico kicked off the night with one of the most dramatic slot car crashes I have ever seen! His F1 car lterally self distructed leaving parts all over the track! It was great for us, not some much for Rico!

The Vintage F1 class was first race. six of the nine entries were in the Scalextric Vintage Division. Amy Fields was out of the gate with an early lead, but Goose scored the overall win with Amy placing first in the Modern Division, Greg Greenman Petrolati first in the Scratchbuilt Narrow Tire Division, and Rico Locati first in the Scratchbuilt Wide Tire Division.

In the Trans Am class we saw the close racing we have come to expect in this class. Greg Petrolati scored another win by a slim .4 lap margin, and only 1.4 laps separated first through sixth!

Then the real battling began, and it was fierce! The big daddy BRM Porsche 962s racing no holds barred, TooBad Motorplex style! Those faint of heart or timid need not apply to race this class! If you don't want to scuff your car don't put it on the track for this race! Chris Kouba fought his way to finish first surviving some brutal attacks (I know because I launched a few of them!). This is another closely contested class here on Odd Thursdays! Less than 2 1/2 laps separated first through fourth.

For a return to the past the Over 50 Class entries hit the track. We see quite a variety of cars and types in this class. We also see all kinds of failures and breakage. Last night was no different with anything from front end falling off to bent axles! In the end Gary Gossett crossed the finish line in first with his newest light body entry.

For the last race of the evening Chris Kouba volunteered (silly man) to let run an IROC style race with his BRM Porsche 917s and his new BRM Ferrari 512. Untypical for the gang at TooBad Motorplex we raced nice with the beautiful cars in an attempt to not destroy them. I must say these are very nice, excellent handling cars! It was great fun and thank you very much Chris for letting us run them!

Results:

Vintage F1 Class Results:
1st Goose Gossett SVD 53.0 laps
2nd Bill Bostic SVD 51.9
3rd Amy Fields MD w/mag 49.7 - First in Division
4th Greg Petrolati SND 48.9 - First in Division
5th Monte Saager SVD  48.3
6th Rico Locati SWD 47.5 - First in Division
7th Chris Kouba SVD 45.2 n/c car change
8th Mitch Brooks SVD 44.1
9th Victoria Saager SVD 42.5

Trans Am Class: