226 (edited by reek455 January 24, 2015 9:57 am)

Re: NASTE Odd Thursday Night Racing Rules & Current Thread

Yep, and those are some mondo tires from Paul Gage.

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

VERY nice!!!!

There's another new arrival planned for this week as well:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTA2NlgxNjAw/z/410AAOSwWKtUtHre/$_57.JPG

I know, not a very surprising entry on my part.  But hey Monte, at least it's not white with a red nose.

Yet...

Don't you really mean "not yet"???

How will we know it's a Kouba Kar???

It's so fast you won't even see it!

But seriously, what a sweet runner- it's SO smooth!  Thanks for giving me that extra push Bill.

Uh-Oh! I guess i better start looking for another 1/24 vintage runner to keep up with the "Cuba".

Chris, I know you have paint.

"Big Smooth"

You're welcome! I learned that "push" from you!!!!

January 29, 2015 - Odd Thursday

Tonight was the night of firsts. The first race with a new race program and the first official race for a new class. For this race we used the Race Cordinator program instead of Trackmate. Race Coordinator has some features I like over Trackmate. The new program ran without any issues, other than operator error here and there, all my fault!

First class up were the Trans Am cars. This class has become very popular, and the racing is always very close. Rico came in first just one and a half laps ahead of Goose. In the GT Class Chris Kouba won by a good margin of four and a half laps. The combination of Chris and his Slot.it Porsche 962 is tough to beat! He is just flat fast! Up next was the new Over 50 Class. The field was well represented by a diverse group of vintage slot cars. A Monogram Chaparral 2D, A Gar Vic Lotus 30, A Cox Ford GT40, a Gar Vic Grand Sport Corvette, two Classic Manta Rays, a Classic Lola, and an unidentified chassis with Revell Ferrari GTO body powered by a Strombecker motor. There were some very close battles on the track, and a wreck that resulted in damage to the Monogram Chaparral. All in all I think this new class is going to be a lot of fun! Rico won the first official Over 50 Class race. The BRM race was the last race of the evening. As usual this race was extremely exciting. Lots of wheel to wheel, door to door racing! Chris Kouba was back tonight to show us all the fast way around TooBad Motorplex with these cars! We will be racing both the BRM and Over 50 Classes at each Odd Thursday Night race. We will alternate which class we run first, but both will be run after the two 1/32 classes. This way if a racer cannot stay late he can still race both classes by racing one of the two at every other race.

.....and here's the results:

Trans Am Class:
1st Rico Locati 52.8 laps
2nd Goose Gossett 51.3
3rd Chris kouba 51.1
4th Greg Petrolati 50.7
5th Monte Saager 50.1                                                                     
6th  Bill Bostic 48.8
7th Bryan Trachsel 48.7 - 9.747 Fastest Lap of the Race 
8th Bryan Dickerson 48.5
9th Mitch Brooks 46.1
10th Jeff fields 43.9
11th John Morse 43.8

GT Class:
1st Chris Kouba 61.8 laps - 8.401 Fastest Lap of the Race
2nd Monte Saager 57.0
3rd Rico Locati 56.3
4th tie Goose Gossett 55.9
4th tie Bryan Trachsel  55.9
6th Bryan Dickerson 55.4
7th Greg Petrolati 49.6
8th Jeff Fields 48.2
9th tie Mitch Brooks 47.0
9th tie John Morse 47.0
11th Amy Fields 43.6
12th Bill Bostic 57.3 - DQ motor>21.5k

Over 50 Class:
1st Rico Locati 52.4 laps - 9.763 Fastest Lap of the Race
2nd Goose Gossett 50.2
3rd Monte Saager 49.2
4th Chris Kouba 47.0
5th Bill Bostic 46.9
6th Greg Petrolati 46.8
7th Mitch Brooks 46.4
8th Bryan Dickerson 45.8
9th John Morse 45.2

BRM Porsche 962 Class:
1st Chris Kouba 56.6 laps - 8.371 Fastest Lap of the Race
2nd Goose Gossett 55.7
3rd Rico Locati 55.0
4th Bryan Dickerson 54.6
5th Bill Bostic 54.3
6th Mitch Brooks 47.7

The field for the first official Over 50 Class Race on Odd Thursday.

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_9155.jpg

What a fantastic night of racing!  Everybody is certainly bringing their "A" game and the racing is the better for it.  Thank you Bill for hosting these events and bringing us all together.  Once again, I'm sorry Goose for busting up the Chaparral, I feel really awful about it.  I just didn't feel the rider and it happened so fast. sad
Already looking forward to the next race.

Rico

Thanks Bill.  It was great to relive my childhood.  I may actually have to give some thought to tuning a 1:24 car.  Well, in other words, something other than just taking it from the box to the track.  Maybe...  I'm ok with a "B" game as long as I get to play.  Next time, the GarVic double bubble Firebird.  Or perhaps the Ocelot with the double pinion!  Maybe it's time to tune a Black Widow.  Choices, choices, choices.  We need a parts source.

I've got Goose covered on the Chap body.  Happen to have one sitting around.

Bill how many hundreds of these vintage chassis do you have?

And why shouldn't we be using vintage controllers?  It seems a little silly to be using a controller that costs more than 10x the cost of the car when new.

"Big Smooth"

238 (edited by reek455 January 30, 2015 10:02 am)

kidvolt wrote:

And why shouldn't we be using vintage controllers?  It seems a little silly to be using a controller that costs more than 10x the cost of the car when new.

I vote you to give it a try next time.  Of course the rest of us won't be right behind you!

Bill: Thanks for the fun night of "hard" racing. I like the new program you installed, i find it fun to help you run it on race night. Rico, do not worry about my car it was not you're fault and it could have been a worse crash. Greg did a great try on reaction time to grab it but that car was moving too fast for him to reach it, thanks for trying to grab it Greg. I did not really realize how fast these 36d motors would run, and i new better than to run that car with all those loose parts that could get broke off. I am kind of with Monte on controllers, we should try some just for the fun/test to find out how the cars would drive.

I like the vintage controller idea Monte!  I have a few choices there!

And to be honest.......I'm really not sure how many vintage chassis I have.....if you count the scratchbuilt ones in with the production type, probably quite a few....if you separate them out, not as many..............but probably still quite a few!

Too bad we didn't get your Chaparral crash on video Goose!

Monte pointed out to me that the pictures I took with your Chaparral in it are the last images of the car in its perfect original condition!

So here it is again just for you!

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_9084.jpg

Nice picture.

"Big Smooth"

Bill and gang,

Huge thanks for a great night of racing.  I have missed it direly as my temporary work schedule has me not getting out much.  I really enjoy our racing and the seriously good time we have with it.  It looks like things have developed nicely in my absence and I have some work to do with my 50's car to keep up with Rico...  I was surprised how well the BRM went during the actual race, as when I showed up, it could barely skate its way around the track.  It still had glue from our enduro at Howie's on the tires and they were basically useless.

I had a great time in TA running running next to Greg, sharing the same lap for two complete heats and pushing each other.  Super fun!

And yes, I dug out the #71 Shootout car for GT.  I should retire that car from Odd Thursdays.  I forgot just exactly how fast that car really is.  I will go with something else next time I get to run, but it did feel nice to set a record on my first night back.

Without getting too sappy, it's great to see that even after being away for a few months, the competitive camaraderie seems stronger than ever.  I miss my Odd Thursdays and can't wait for my work life to settle back into my normal groove.

Until next time gentlemen,
Chris

We've missed you Chris, and it's very good to see you back on Odd Thursdays! Now if we could just get you to slow down a little..........maybe a little rum-in-the-coffee-pre-race-tune-up????

wb0s wrote:

Now if we could just get you to slow down a little.........

That's the only way he can keep up cuz he's old and retired or he could just cheat. Oh wait, that didn't work out so well either big_smile

It's a sad thing when you can't even pull out a win with an illegal motor that's a good 4,000 RPM over everybody else's!!!!

I bought another Garvic earlier today at a collector mart and yes the price tag is what I paid.

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo56/reek455/For%20Sale/IMG_1991_zpsfmmg3yqd.jpg

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo56/reek455/For%20Sale/IMG_1993_zpsr0uyxo0e.jpg

Nice find Rico! Good price also! I am looking for another car to run, maybe still a plastic one that will take a beating without loosing small parts and will still keep on ticking, need to find some "Timex" sponsor stickers for my plastic cars.

February 5, it was an odd Odd Thursday Night of racing. It seemed like it was the first time I had tried to run a race using the new race software. I felt disorganized and like I was bumbling through the whole race. My driving wasn't much better! BUT, thanks to Amy Fields, who got us back on track with her outstanding computer skills we made it through the race! THANK YOU AMY!!!!

Goose took the win in the Classic Sports Car Class, with Mitch and Greg in a tie for second. Great run Mitch! Goose was also on the top of the podium for the Vintage F1 race with Byan Trachsel just one lap behind in the second spot. In the BRM Porsche 962 race the Goose again led the way to the finish, this time with Rico following in second. A new racer, Al Christensen brought out some great old KTM powered vintage cars for Over 50 Class. But it was the Goose's night as he won the Over 50 Class making for a clean sweep of the night! Rico was in hot pursuit with the Gold Finger Brutus Corvette, but he just couldn't quite catch that beautiful Strombecker Ford J car of Goose's!

The results:

Classic Sports Car:
1st Goose Gossett 50.0 laps
2nd tie Mitch Brooks 48.9
2nd tie Greg Petrolati 48.9
4th Rico Locati 48.7 - 9.996 Fastest Lap of the Race
5th Bryan Trachsel 47.6                                                                     
6th tie Terry Abbott 47.4
6th tie John Fisher 47.4 
8th Jeff Fields 46.1
9th Howie Howard 45.6
10th Bill Bostic 44.1
11th Amy Fields 42.3
12th Glenn Heath 42.1
13th Al Christensen 41.5

Vintage F1:
1st Gary Goose Gossett 52.3 laps - 9.539 Fastest Lap of the Race  (no trac. mag.)
2nd Bryan Trachsel 51.2
3rd Greg Petrolati 49.2
4th Cailin Dunbar 48.0
5th Bill Bostic 47.1
6th Mitch Brooks 43.9
7th Amy Fields 43.6 - 9.405 Fastest Lap of the Race (w/trac. mag.)
8th Rico Locati 43.2
9th Jeff Fields 41.5
10th Glenn Heath 40.9
11th John Fisher 40.4
12th Al Christensen 34.7

BRM Porshe 962 Class:
1st Goose Gossett 59.6 laps - 8.480 Fastest Lap of the Race
2nd Rico Locati 57.1
3rd Bill Bostic 55.9
4th Glenn Heath 53.1
5th Jeff Fields 48.0
6th Mitch Brooks 46.3
7th Amy Fields 43.7
8th Al Christensen 42.4

Over 50 Class:
1st Gary Goose Gossett 50.8 laps
2nd Rico Locati 50.1 - 9.872 Fastest Lap of the Race
3rd Bill Bostic 45.3
4th Al Christensen 40.5
5th Mitch Brooks 39.7
6th Glenn Heath 35.6

The Goose returned to Odd Thursday Night Racing with new hardware after the devastating crash of his Monogram Chaparral at the last race.

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_9200.jpg

The view most racers saw of Goose's Strombecker Ford J.

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_9203.jpg