Re: NASTE Odd Thursday Night Racing Rules & Current Thread

SCORE!!!!!

Hey, speaking of score. I found two boxes of Aurora Thunderjet 500 track, controllers, transformers, and car bodies at a garage sale Friday. I haven't found any of that stuff at a garage sale in years! Both boxes cost me $4.00! Out of it I got a good uncut T-Jet AMX body, an uncut Ford GT40 body, and a fair but uncut Mako Shark body. Of course the track and stuff isn't worth much, but I'd pay $4.00 for just one of the bodies!!!

Goose, yes I was running a 42B the night of the race but it's been bumped up to a ProSpeed as it now sits.

"Big Smooth"

Rico: I just checked the Cadillac and found that it has the grille and both lens missing also. Bummer!

154 (edited by reek455 July 21, 2014 9:49 pm)

No problem happens to most of them. I actually made a grille and lens out of some stuff I had laying around.

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

I've been doing some comparison testing between my 69 Scaley Camaro and my SCX "Cuda.  The Camaro has the stock 18K motor, gears, wheels with urethane tires  and no magnet with some weight added.  The 'Cuda has stock RX-42B motor, gears, wheels, tires with no magnet and a little weight in the nose. 
The Camaro started out quite a bit smoother and quicker and the 'Cuda was struggling for grip and sounded like a rock tumbler.  After some tire sanding the 'Cuda started sounding better and performed slightly better than previous.  Back to the sand paper several times finally got rid of the thumpity thump and the car now actually had a slightly faster lap time than the Camaro.  I then lightly sanded the Camaro tires resulting in a .03 second difference between the two cars. So it would seem that they are fairly equal at my track and we will have to see if this transfers to Too Bad on Thursday.

Good info Rico, thanks!

We'll see how it looks Thursday.

Rico: Are you running the stock (loose to axle) rear axle assemblies in both of the cars? Since you are not using the magnets i was just wondering if you had rear end hop. Last race with my 69 camaro with stock rear axle and with PG tires my car had a fair amount of hop on wood. Did you do the super glue trick on bearings/axle?

Goose,

I have done the SuperGlue/oil trick to the Camaro, but the SCX cars use a different set up and it doesn't seem to be an issue.  At this time I have no hop with either car on my track

July 31st, Odd Thursday Racing at TooBad Motorplex in Fairview. Man, it was HOT! But even with the heat we had eight racers on the starting grid at 6:00 pm. First on the grid were the Trans Am cars. This new class has seemed to settle into a field of American made pony cars of the sixties. We had no under 2 liter cars entered to race, although I did see a few around the pit area. The racing in this class is very close, even with the rules not yet firmly established. The current NASTE Point Series Champion Terry Abbott showed why he is the champion by winning the Trans Am race in a totally out-of-the-box stock Pioneer Mustang! Nice drive Terry! A lot of discussion about rules for the Trans Am Class took place after the end of the night's racing. 

We saw a new scratchbuilt car from Glenn Heath on the start line for the Classic Sports Car Class. Glenn's Mercedes was not quite finished but showed some real potential. It was fast and very smooth. But on the top of the podium it was yet again a Ninco classic Corvette. Those Ninco Vettes are hard to beat in the performance department, although Goose's Ninco Vette had a very slim margine of victory over Rico's scratchbuilt Ferrari GTO!

The BRM Porsche race was a hoot! We had a field of five, with NO loaner cars on the track! There was the usual pushing and shoving, and a punt or two here and there. These cars supply plenty of action on the tight for 1/24 cars TooBad track! In the end The Goose had pulled off the win by a beak!

Race Results:

Trans Am Class:

1st Terry Abbott 54.1 laps - Pioneeer Mustnag notchback / box stock w/mag.
2nd Rico Locati 53.0 - SCX Cuda / stock 42B motor, Paul Gage rear tires w/no mag.
3rd Greg Petrolati 52.7 laps - Pioneer Mustang Notchback / stock 21k motor, alum. wheels, upgraded axles & gears, no mag.                                                                      4th Goose Gossett 50.9 - Scalextric Challenger / super glue axle-bushing fit stock w/mag.
5th Tracy Flood 47.1  -  Pioneer Mustang Notchback / 18k motor, alum. wheels, axles & gears, slight body low'rd w/no mag.                                                                     
6th Bill Bostic 47.0  - Scalextric '70 Camaro / stock, Paul Gage rear tires, weight w/no mag.
7th Glenn Heath 46.5  - Pioneer Mustang fastback / alum. rear whls, chassis clear'ncd for float, body slight low'rd w/no mag.
8th Mitch Brooks 45.7  -  Scalextric Mustang / Pioneer 21k motor, Paul Gage tires w/no mag.

Classic Sports Car Class:

1st Goose Gossett 52.8 laps
2nd Rico Locati 52.4
3rd Greg Petrolati 48.7
4th Tracy Flood 48.1
5th Terry Abbott 47.7
6th Glenn Heath 46.2
7th Bill Bostic 45.4
8th Mitch Brooks 45.3

BRM Porsche 962 Class:

1st Goose Gossett 61.6 laps
2nd Rico Locati 60.2
3rd Bill Bostic 56.4
4th Tracy Flood 55.6
5th Mitch Brooks 47.7

Glenn Heath showed up with his newly built Mercedes. Glenn's Mercedes featured a scratchbuilt brass chassis and a H&R 18k motor.

The body is a Scalextric Mercedes.
http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_6640.jpg

This is one good looking car that is an awesome runner!
http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_6641.jpg

The scratchbuilt brass chassis features .062 brass side pans and a .032 center section. It runs an H&R 18k motor.
http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_6645.jpg

I have updated the Odd Thursday Trans Am Class rules on the RACE RULES page. The two different divisions rule has been dropped, and some specific rules have been detailed for the cars. The TooBad Odd Thursday traction magnet rule will be in effect for this class, same as Classic Sports Car and GT. Please check out the rules and feel free to post any suggestions or comments HERE, in this forum - please!  The only OFFICIAL RULES are those posted in the RACE RULES portion of the NASTE Forum. Any rules posted in this portion of the forum are regarded as discussion only. And please remember, the rules are subject to change. I will be happy to post any necessary clarifications.

Thanks!   ----------------Bill

Hi Wild Bill: Thank you for the great evening of fun racing and snacks, and a great group of racers to be with, you are a great host also. I looked at the updated t/a rules and i do not have any further discussions to offer (time to shut up), it looks like Naste has a good set of rules to work with. Looking forward to competing with you guys.

Goose

Thanks Goose!

Just as a heads up, we're dumping Comcast today and going with Frontier for our TV and internet provider. So I may be off line for awhile depending on how the switch over goes! If there are issues I'm sure it will involve me getting my son over to fix all the problems!!!

===============Bill

I'm back up and running with frontier, so long Comcast! So far so good! I took all my equipment up to the Comcast Service Center to close my account. When the guy asked why I was closing my account I told him in a loud clear voice; "two reasons, I'm tired of my bill going up all the time, and I'm sick and tired of calling your call center for help only to be speaking to someone who does not understand me, and whom I can barely understand because they barely speak english". I though he was going to poop an acorn! Of the twenty-some customers in the office I was one of the only, how should I put this?.....  Let's use the term "modern natives". I like that. If all the "minorities" want to be called "something/Americans", I want to be referred to as a "Modern Native".............Evidently I am no longer tollerant nor understanding!!.................I'm OK with that!

Mr Native: I would like to buy you a beer sometime! Way to speak out. I placed an order with Paul Gage for some "soft tires". I screwed up on my order and contacted him about not buying 1 item. He called me at home about 5 min later and sent me a cancell e-mail for the tires. We had a fun long chat, seems like a real nice guy. He said the soft tires should work better for us.

Goose

Thanks Goose, I'll take you up on that beer!!!

Good news on the tires!!!

Yes, Paul seems like a decent guy and he will give a club discount if we were to make a large order.  I inquired about it for a class at BSCC some time back and I believe he said he gave 10% on orders of twenty or more.  Might be worth checking into?

That is a good idea Rico. Paul gage tires seem to work pretty well on my track. I think between all the current racers we could probably put together an order of 20 or more.

Naste Odd Thursday August 7

A rather small group of 7 racers showed up tonight at Autumn Hills but boy did we have some fun close racing.  We had plenty of food and snacks thanks to Kelly. The wraps were sensational.  We raced two classes and first up was the Classic Sports cars.
The racing was close with former track owner bringing up Maggie's drawers with his decidedly grip less tires on the Chaparral.
The Ninco Vette's of Goose Gossett and Chris Kouba tied for second place but nobody could catch Rico's scratch built Ferrari on it's home track.

Next up was the Naste Trans Am's.  We ran all the cars together but we did have two 2 liter cars that did battle with the big Detroit iron.  In a battle of the Alfa's: the schoolboy's GOM GTV bested Greg's GTA.  Victoria pushed her SCX 'Cuda to 6th while the always fast Goose could only manage fourth.  Mr. Tie aka Chris Kouba once again tied but this time with Glenn Heath in their well matched former BSCC Mustangs for second place. In the end, home track advantage once again prevailed with Rico winning with a Scaley Camaro.

Classic Sports Car Class:

1st   Rico Locati 30.6 laps
2nd  Goose Gossett 29.6
       Chris Kouba 29.6
4th  Greg Petrolati 28.7
5th  Glenn Heath 28.2
6th  Victoria Saager 27.1
7th  Monte Saager 25.6

Trans Am Class:

1st   Rico Locati 30.8
2nd  Glenn Heath 29.9
       Chris Kouba 29.9
4th  Goose Gossett 28.4
5th  Monte Saager  27.4  2 liter
6th  Victoria Saager 25.4
7th Greg Petrolati 25.3  2 liter

Thanks Rico, we had a great time.

Humbled by my wife, oh the ignominy...

"Big Smooth"

Rico: Thank you for the fun evening on you're track. Hope to get more practice on you're track so i can be a better competetor.
Also please thank the wife for the food output, hope she has a better day today.

August 21st 2014, Odd Thursday Night.

What a great turn out! We had 18 racers, a record turn out for Odd Thursday Night racing! The garage was packed tight, and the racing was just as close. It was good to see so many racers in attendance!

It is evident racers are getting their Trans Am cars dialed in. The top seven spots were all filled by non-magnet traction cars. First place was a tie between a Scalextric car and a Pioneer car, with an SCX car in third! Goose is still on top in the GT class with another win this week. Bryan Dickerson, Todd Flood, John Fisher and John Morse all had great runs. Bryan posted fourth and fifth place finishes. Todd Flood recorded a career high fifth place finish. The two Johns had excellent results with Fisher posting a third in GT, and Morse with a seventh in Trans Am! We'd also like to extend a big welcome to newcomer Paul Gillmough. Hope you had a good time racing with us!

Thanks to everyone that made it out! And additional thanks to all those that brought snacks!!!

Race Results -

Trans Am Class:
1st - tie Goose Gossett 52.2 laps - Scalextric '69 Camaro
1st - tie Greg Petrolati 52.2 - Pioneer Mustang
3rd Monte Saager 51.5 - SCX Cuda                                                                     
4th Rico Locati 49.4
5th Bryan Dickerson 49.2                                                                     
6th Tracy Flood 49.1 
7th - tie John Morse 48.9
7th - tie Bill Bostic 48.9
9th John Fisher 48.7
10th Glenn Heath 47.2
11th Russell Flood 46.9
12th Terry Abbott 45.6
13th Mitch Brooks 44.6
14th  - tie Dennis Hart 43.3
14th - tie Thomas The Chisel Flood 43.5
16th Todd Flood 42.9
17th Evil Jimmy Jones 41.4
18th Paul Gillmough

GT Car Class:
1st Goose Gossett 57.5 laps
2nd Monte Saager w/Russel Flood substituting in one heat 56.4
3rd John Fisher 54.7
4th Bryan Dickerson 54.0
5th Todd Flood 53.9
6th Greg Petrolati 53.6
7th Bill Bostic 53.2
8th Tracy Flood 52.9
9th Terry Abbott 52.1
10th John Morse 51.2
11th Dennis Hart 50.9
12th Glenn Heath 50.5
13th - tie Rico Locati 49.0
13th - tie Russell Flood 49.0
15th Mitch Brooks 47.5
16th Thomas The Chisel Flood 47.2
17th Evil Jimmy Jones 47.0
18th Paul Gillmough 43.4

The BRM Porsche 962 race was cancelled due to time constraints

Bill: Thanks for a busy/fun night of bench & track racing, it is nice to see the new racers learning the track and getting their cars up to speed.

Good running Russell!

Thanks Bill, I had a great time as always.

"Big Smooth"

Monte, You and your teammate performed welll!!!