Re: NASTE Odd Thursday Night Racing Rules & Current Thread

Thanks Bill for another fun filled Thursday evening.  I loved those ribs John brought and too many donuts too!

Rico

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

YES! GREAT ribs, THANKS John! I'm glad Diane cuts the doughnuts in half for us. Makes me think I didn't eat very many!...I mean hey,....I didn't even eat a WHOLE one!!!!

I sure had a good time last night!  Good people, good food, and even a little racing!!!

Oh yeah, here's how the racing all shook out:

Classic Sports Car Class:

1st John Fisher 51.9 laps
2nd Bill Bostic 51.3
3rd Greg Petrolati 50.7
4th Goose Gossett 50.6
5th Rico Locati 49.1
6th Monte Saager 47.9
7th Mitch Brooks 47.4
8th Tracy Flood 47.0
9th Bryan Dickerson 46.2
10th Glenn Heath 45.6
11th Perry Petrequin 40

GT Class:

1st Chris Kouba 60.2 laps
2nd Goose Gossett 59.4
3rd John Fisher 56.9
4th Bill Bostic 54.8
5th Glenn Heath 53.9
6th Tracy Flood 53.2
7th Greg Petrolati 52.1
8th Rico Locati 51.8
9th Bryan Dickerson 49.3
10th Mitch Brooks 46.0
11th Monte saager 45.2

BRM Porsche 962 Class:

1st Chris Kouba 60.4 laps
2nd Goose Gossett 59.4
3rd Rico Locati 59.0
4th tie Tracy Flood 58.2
4th tie Bryan Dickerson 58.2
6th Greg Petrolati 57.6
7th Bill Bostic 57.5
8th Glenn Heath 56.5
9th Mitch Brooks 54.0
10th John Fisher 52.2

Greenman showed up with some of his hardware Thursday evening -

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_5956.jpg

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_5957.jpg

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_5958.jpg

One of my favorite Greenman creations! -

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_5959.jpg

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_5960.jpg

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_5961.jpg

More Greenman goods! -

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_5964.jpg

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_5965.jpg

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_5968.jpg

Rule Change to Classic Sports Car Class -

After much discussion a rule designating motor maximum RPM has been added to the Classic Sports Car Class. Motor RPM will be limited to motors producing no more than 18,000 RPM. There is a link to the Slot Car Motor List on this website's Links page. Most Ninco motors fall into this category, specifically those fitted to the Ninco classic sports cars. This new rule will be implimented just as the current Traction Magnet rule is. Racers may run a Classic Sports Car with a higher RPM rated motor. However once they have won a Classic Sports Car race with the higher RPM motor, they will no longer be elligible for an Official Classic Sports Car Class win using a motor rated above the 18,000 RPM limit. You can continue to race with the faster motor, you just can't record a win with it. Subsequent wins will result in disqualification. A hard copy of the Slot Car Motor List will be posted and available for referrence at TooBad Motorplex.

The Classic Sports Car rear tire spec has been updated/changed to a millimeter measurement instead of decimal inch.

That's it.  -----------------------------Bill

May 29th, and another action packed Odd Thursday evening! The Classic Sports Car Class was raced for the first time with the new motor spec rule in place. Two scratchbuilt cars set the pace for the race. Rico Locati took first place with his 1955 Frazier Nash, with Greenman Greg Petrolati just one lap back with his beautiful Ferrari (second place in it's first race - outstanding!). With the new motor spec for the class, Ninco Classic Corvettes seemed to be the out-of-the-box car for rest of the field. The Ninco Corvettes are very competitive with nothing more than a rear tire change.

The racing in the GT Class was very close. Race conditions were optimum with good grip on the track, which many evenings is not the case! Chris Kouba destroyed the competition with his super quick Slot.It Ford GT. Chris out ran the field by three full laps to take the win. Most of the GT Class was made up of Slot.It cars. Like the Ninco Classic Corvettes, the Slot.It cars perform very well at TooBad with just a little tuning and rear tire changes.

The action in the BRM Porsche Class for intense as usual! Chris Kouba brought out his new BRM Mercedes to see how it would run against the BRM Porsches. The anglewinder chassis'd Mercedes did seem to have a little advantage over the Porsches, but not a great deal. It looked like some of the advantage was the difference in motors versus chassis configuration. Chris is studying our current rules to see what he can do to include the Mercedes and still make the inline Porsche 962s competitive. Chris did take the win in the BRM Porsche Class with his inline 962 by a mere nine tenths of a lap over Rico Locati. Third place was only another seven tenths back from Rico. The BRMs provide for some very close, action packed racing on TooBad Motorplex's tight three lane course.

Here's how all the racing shook out:

1st Rico Locato 52.0 laps
2nd Greg Petrolati 51.3
3rd Chris Kouba 49.6
tie - 4th Goose Gossett 48.6
tie - 4th Bryan Dickerson 48.6
6th John Fisher 48.3
7th Bill Bostic 47.8
8th Monte Saager 47.7
9th Mitch Brooks 47.6
DQ Glenn Heath 53.3 (Trans Am Mustang - run for fun)

GT Class:

1st Chris Kouba 61.0 laps
2nd Bill Bostic 58.0
3rd Rico Locati 56.9
4th John Fisher 53.8
5th Bryan Dickerson 53.1
6th Goose Gossett 52.4
7th Greg Petrolati 52.3
8th Glenn Heath 48.9
9th Mitch Brooks 48.0
10th Monte Saager 47.4

BRM Porsche 962 Class:

1st Chris Kouba 59.7 laps
2nd Rico Locati 58.8
3rd Bill Bostic 58.1
4th Goose Gossett 57.7
5th John Fisher 54.7
6th Mitch Brooks 54.1
7th Glenn Heath 51.1
DQ Mercedes #63 59.0 (non-spec pink motor & anglewinder chassis)

Thanks again Bill it was an action packed evening for sure.  I'm very pleased with my result trifecta, especially after the last few disasters.

Rico

That was quite a come back Rico!!!  You covered all three podium positions in one evening!!!!

Another Odd Thursday night of racing here at TooBad Motorplex on June 5th. The racing was really close tonight with a tie for first place in the GT Class, and only 1/10th of lap separating first from second in the BRM Porsche Class. Three different racers took a first, and Mitch Brooks was on the podium in the Classic Sports Car Class. Highlights included; Monte Saager running most of his heat races himself, as himself without an assigned driver, and Chris Kouba made it to the race by boat! That is definitely a first!

Here's how all the racing shook out:

1st Goose Gossett 53.1 laps
2nd Rico Locati 52.2
3rd Mitch Brooks 50.0
4th Terry Abbott 48.3
5th Chris Kouba 48.1
6th Bill Bostic 47.6
7th Monte Saager 47.4
8th Greg Petrolati 47.2

GT Class:

1st tie Chris Kouba 59.1 laps
1st tie Goose Gossett 59.1
3rd Rico Locati 57.1
4th Terry Abbott 56.1
5th Bill Bostic 55.1
6th Monte Saager 54.2
7th Greg Petrolati 54.1
8th Mitch Brooks 49.8

BRM Porsche 962 Class:

1st Rico Locati 62.8 laps
2nd Goose Gossett 62.7
3rd Monte Saager 59.7
4th Chris Kouba 59.1
5th Bill Bostic 58.7
6th Mitch Brooks 53.9

He gets to the the races all the time by boat with the land yacht: SS Super Duty.  Thanks for hosting another exciting night of racing.  I didn't realize it last night but I managed another trifecta!

I'm hopin' you'll get tired of climbing those podium steps at some point........

June 19, 2014 Thursday night. Tonight's Odd Thursday racing started out with a BRM clinic put on by Chris Kouba. Chris demonstrated the proper conversion steps to change an inline BRM Porsche 962 over to an anglewinder chassis. Alan from 132 Slot Cars in Tacoma sent new anglewinder conversion kits down to those of us who own BRM Porsches, and had attended his BRM Porsche race in May. The conversion is pretty straight forward, and the kits are complete with all the necessary parts. Thank you Alan!

Once the racing started it was hot and heavy as usual. First up was the Classic Sports Car Class. Goose took the win with a narrow margine of just 4/10ths of a lap over Chris Kouba in second. In the GT Class Rico Locati was first by another 4/10ths margine over Chris Kouba in second. In the BRM Porsche class Chris Kouba laid waste to that second place 4/10ths of a lap margine monkey by winning the class and beating Goose by 3/10ths of a lap! It was very close racing the entire evening!

Thanks to everyone who made it out!

Here are the final results:

1st Goose Gossett 51.1 laps
2nd Chris Kouba 50.7
3rd Bill Bostic 48.7
4th Rico Locati 48.4
5th Tracy Flood 47.9
6th Mitch Brooks 46.3
7th Howie Howard 45.6
8th Monte Saager 42.6
9th Jimmy Jones 40.4

GT Class:

1st Rico Locati 61.2 laps
2nd Chris Kouba 60.6
3rd Bill Bostic 59.7
4th Goose Gossett 59.0
5th Monte Saager 57.5
6th Tracy Flood 54.2
7th Howie Howard 49.9
8th Mitch Brooks 49.6
9th Jimmy Jones 46.1

BRM Porsche 962 Class:

1st Chris Kouba 62.0 laps
2nd Goose Gossett 61.7
3rd Rico locati 59.8
4th Bill Bostic 58.1
5th Bryan Dickerson 57.3
6th Tracy Flood 55.4
7th Mitch Brooks 54.8

114 (edited by reek455 June 20, 2014 1:04 pm)

Thanks Bill, I had fun as per usual but my math says I won by a whopping 6/10 in GT.

Ooops.....you are correct Rico!  Guess it's a good thing I use a computer for the scoring!!!????

Here's some of the highlites from the BRM chassis clinic:

Alan from 132 Slot Cars in Tacoma sent down conversion chassis kits. Thanks Alan!

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_6516.jpg

The body posts need to be shortened as shown here. Outstanding work by Chris Kouba!
http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_6517.jpg

This is one of the donor inline BRM Porsches.
http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_6520.jpg

The new anglewinder BRM Porsche chassis have some nice features, such the adjustable front axle.
http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_6521.jpg

Chris Kouba, the BRM Guru himself!  We locals just refer to him as The Dealer!
http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_6522.jpg

A completed BRM anglewinder!
http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_6526.jpg

It was a wild night of racing! Ten racers drifted in for the night's events. John Fisher made it back from Australia, and it was good to see John Morse back to race. We also had a new racer, a big welcome to Ed Armstrong. Goose was on a terror and nearly got the triple crown, winning two of the three classes and scoring a second place in the BRM class after a near fatal plunge through The Hole! As usual the BRM class gave us some exciting door to door, and into a couple doors, type of racing. The 1/24 BRM Porsche class is gaining in popularity. Six of the ten racers had BRMs in their stable of cars. They truly are a blast to race!

Here are the final results:

1st Goose Gossett 52.5 laps
2nd Chris Kouba 50.1
3rd Glenn Heath 50.0
4th John Fisher 48.7
5th Bill Bostic 47.1
6th Tracy Flood 45.9
7th Todd Flood 41.9
8th Mitch Brooks 41.2
9th John Morse 37.1
10th Ed Armstrong 36.4

GT Class:

1st Goose Gosset 61.6 laps
2nd Chris Kouba 59.7
3rd Bill Bostic 57.3
4th Tracy Flood 56.0
5th Glenn Heath 52.4
6th John Fisher 51.7
7th Mitch Brooks 49.4
8th John Morse 46.3
9th Todd Flood 41.2
10th Ed Armstrong 40.5

BRM Porsche 962 Class:

1st Chris Kouba 60.0 laps
2nd Goose Gossett 58.0
3rd Tracy Flood 57.7
4th Bill Bostic 57.4
5th Mitch Brooks 54.9
6th John Fisher 53.1
7th Glenn Heath 50.1
8th John Morse 48.9
9th Ed Armstrong 45.7
10th Todd Flood 45.4

At the July 3rd race we discussed adding two new classes to the Odd Thursday Night Racing program. The plan is to rotate the two new 1/32 classes along with the existing two 1/32 classes. The 1/24 BRM Class will continue to be raced as the feature race at each Odd Thursday Night race.

The two new classes up for consideration are; 1/32 Vintage F1, and 1/32 Vintage Trans Am. Various rules were discussed for the Vintage F1 class including what years or styles of vintage F1s would be raced. As for the Trans Am class there are many differnet manufacturers of Trans Am cars, so one of the discussion points was how to make them all competitive without the need for a lot of modification. The overall desire seemed to be racing these two classes of cars in as close to box stock configuration as possible. With that said I would like to solicite some feedback for ideas on what rules to implement for these two classes. If you want to race these cars let me know, and let me know what types of modifications, if any, you would like to see allowed.

===========Bill

Trans Am thoughts.

If they were all about the same weight with similar motors that might keep different cars reasonably equal.

Hmmmm, Trans Am...  Mustangs, Cameros...  Food for thought:

http://www.historictransam.com/Cars.html

So who makes a 1:32 Javelin?

"Big Smooth"

Pioneer was supposed to be releasing a Trans Am Javelin.  Haven't seen any signs of it yet.

The obvious choices for cars to race in a Trans Am class would be those produced by Scalextric and Pioneer. These cars come with 18k motors. In addition SCX has the Trans Am Cuda wnd it also comes with an 18k motor. Carrera makes Mustangs that could be elligible, but they have motors rated at 21k and up. And as most know, the Carrera cars are not competitive in the group with Scalextric, Pioneer, and SCX, at least in "stock" configuration. If the class is limited to Scalextric, Pioneer, and SCX cars the field should be pretty even as far as motor performance.

Some suggestions I have received as to class rules so far include:

Chassis - Stock manufactured chassis only.
              - OK to enlarge body mount screw holes to allow body float.
              - OK to may trim off up to 1/16" around chassis perimeter for body float.
              - OK to cut off body bumpers and valance from chassis and glue onto body in stock position.

Body - Stock body, same manufacture as chassis only.
         - OK to remove stock spoilers.
         - No flaring of body fender wells or enlarging of wheel opening.

Tires & Wheels - OK to run any tire or wheel as long as they are not wider then 8mm.
                         -  Tires can not protrude past body, meaning wheelbase width cannot exceed body width.       

Gears, Axles, Axle Bushings - OK to use after market parts.

Guide Flag - OK to use Nova adapter for stock chassis flag mount repalecemnt or repair.

Interior -  Stock interior, same munufacturer as body only.
             - OK to sand bottom of interior for body float, floor boards must remain in stock location, no chopping or sectioning.

Motors - Stock 18000 rpm motors.

Comments or additional suggestions???

I see it's ok to use aftermarket parts for gears, axles and bushings but what about gear ratios?  Open or stock ratio with upgraded parts?

Actually I have not finalized the rules. The list above are just some suggestions I received. I'm still soliciting input.

What would be your preference on gear ratios?

I'll have to give it some thought.