Re: NASTE Odd Thursday Night Racing Rules & Current Thread

The whole point of changing the year of entry was solely to eliminate the GT40 from classic l. We decided as a group that there were three or four other classes where the GT40 could be raced.

A slot it GT40 even with the pod glued tight would still be the dominate car due to it's light weight and low and wide configuration.

The idea was to see what could be done with some of the other classics.

You (Bill) envisioned this class from the 50s when you first created it. We chose to extend the year 1964 to include the XKEs, GTOs, and the early 60s corvettes (c2) I think.

A new racer would have a better chance racing a Ninco, Fly, or Scalextric with a magnet against other cars of the same make than trying to tune a Slot It GT40 to match some of the ones we've seen lately.

As a side note for next year we have talked a bit about changing class l to the hawk 18K motor and raising class ll to either a 20K or the cheaper $8 Parana motor. Something to discuss later.

I do remember that Mitch. So I did some research and the 1964 cut off year does not eliminate the Ford GT40. How shall we edit the rules to accomplish the goal? If we change the cut off year to 1963 the Ford GT40 will be out. The Ferrari 250 GTO was introduced in 1962, the Jaguar XKE in 1961.

So how about we change the date from 1964 to 1963? The Corvettes up to the '63 Stingrays would still fit in. I realize the majority of 1/32 Stingrays produced are 1964 or later, but they are basically the same from '63 through '67. The biggest difference is the split rear window of the '63 coupes, which many  owners cut the split out of the rear window. In fact dealerships were making those modifications for their customers.

Scalextric, Ninco, Carrera, and many others make cars for these classes without pods.  If we just eliminate cars with pods all together than the problem will solve itself.

I believe that a car with a tightened pod is still a better handling car than one without.  There's a different design aesthetic involved.

We have plenty of classes for podded cars, let's have one or two without.

"Big Smooth"

I'm good with that solution Monte.

Shall the rules be updated to exclude motor pod equipped chassis for Classic Sports Car Division I?

Weigh in now y'all!

I say no. only because we are in the middle of a points battle and it would not be right to change the rules. Zack has a very good classic one car that has a fixed pod in it. I have one Im working on so I do have a pony in the fight also, maybe we can change the rules for next year and exclude pods. but for now leave it as is....

The secondnidator

Very good point Doc. I'll wait to make the change effective next season if no one has any other objections.

There are a lot more possible cars to race in this class if you allow the chassis to be changed. All front motor cars etc will need this to compete.

Those are all gonna have pods. Mine is screwed and glued, yet Al has a car just as fast as mine. The pods arent the problem prep level is.

Just exclude the GT40, as we talked about. Simple.

Zack

I’m good either way

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

OK, so it would seem the real issue is with the Slot.it Ford GT40 being legal in the Classic Sports Car Division I, not necessarily the Ford GT40 in general, as no one is racing the Scalextric version. I can see a potential future issue with someone using an NSR Ford GT40. 

I can think of three options:
1. Require non-articulating one-piece chassis for Classic Sports Car Div.I (outlaw the "screwed and glued two piece chassis). With this change racers could still use the Ford GT40 in Classic Sports Car Div.I, but it would eliminate the Slot.it, Fly and NSR chassis versions.

2. Change the rule for the cut off year from 1964 to 1963. This would eliminate the Ford GT40 (of any chassis design) from competing in the Classic Sports Car Div. 1.

3. Leave the rules the same and just give any racers that race the Slot.it or NSR Ford GT40 so much crap that we shame them into running something else.............

I raced a gt40 once, realised it wasnt within the spirit of competition and built something new.

Moving the year back would work....

I would just go for saying any model of gt40 is not allowed in sportscar 1. Competitive cars for this class are always going to be somewhat challenging/expensive. Leaving it as open as possible model wise makes sense. Just exclude the clear dominate outlyer.

Zack

Despite not being around much lately, I feel I have a dog in this race.

Please don't rule out a car model because of one manufacturer.  Is anyone running the tables with something other than a Slot.It?  You all know my addiction to white, red, and the GT40, and I admit to being highly biased, but I would like to see the Fly and Scalextric versions stay legal- if they fit the class eligibility. 

Don't want them at all?  Change the eligibility years, but yeah- make sure you go to 1963 because they were around in '64 already.  I read that on the internet.

I would like to see us continue to allow podded cars with the pod locked down as I think we would do a disservice to beginners if we eliminate that option.  It also allows a broader selection of eligible cars and I like that.

If you're worried about unfair advantages for podded cars even with the pod screwed down, have a sunset clause like we do/did for magnets.  You can run a locked down podded car until you win with one.  Flat chassis only after that, so you better be building and tuning while you're running the pod car.

Since it was intended to be cars from the 50's, let's make it cars from the 50's.  That would bring new life to the D-Type I've had buried and doing nothing for years.  But if we did that, would we have to worry about the XK120 and the 55 Vette becoming the new GT40?  There will be cars which will have inherent design advantages, but I don't think we should go chopping out the top performing car in each class.  There's another one right behind it.  The king is dead, long live the king.

If this class is really to be about skinny-tired, slow-motored cars then let's make it that: stipulate a single piece chassis, skinny tires, 14k motor, whatever year range we choose (but not necessarily all agree upon though), and let's get on with the racing.  If we want to include locked down pods (and I do), note this as well and move on.

And lastly, for a reality check: we do this for fun.  We need to make sure our objective is to maximize the fun and minimize the BS.

Chris

That's two votes for just outlawing Ford GT40s from Classic Sports Cars Div.I.

The only reason I brought this up was because I get asked a lot by newer racers what a good car would be for the Classic SC Div.I. Well the quickest and simplest car to prepare for that class has always been the Slot.it Ford GT40.....AND I still have some for sale (although there are very few left). Well before replying it came to me that we may have excluded them from the class. But since I can't remember sh*t anymore, I thought I would re-read the rules to make sure. The only thing I could find in the rules related to a cut off date for year of manufacture, 1964. So I did some research and found the first Ford GT40s were produced in 1964. Hence my old guy confusion and the inability to remember details. What all this does indicate (other than the fact I don't remember sh*t) is that our rules need to be more specific as to whether the Ford GT40 is legal or not. However, and in my defense, I believe the 1964 date was quoted to me as a cut off date that WOULD exclude the Ford GT40. This may be an indicator that I am not the only old guy that can't remember sh*t!

Well put Chris!

Since I am the original sponsor for the Classic Sports Car Class here is what I propose:

Classic Sports Car Division I = Rules stay as currently written.
Classic Sports Car Division II = Rules stay as currently written.

Proposed new class = Vintage Sports Car

This class is open to vintage sports cars, RTR and scratchbuilt chassis are acceptable.

This is a spec motor class. Cars will be required to use the H&R 14k motor only. Class is limited to pre 1960 cars, replicating cars built and raced through 1959. Chassis construction must be rigid with no separate articulating pieces such as hinged side pans, motor pods, or suspension type front axle mounts. Motor "podded" chassis will NOT be allowed. Eligible car's rear wheel width and tire contact patch must be 7mm or less. Track width must be no wider than the car's body width, tire and wheel must be completely within the body wheel opening. No portion of the tire/wheel shall be visible when viewed from above. Bodies shall not be modified to increase front or rear track (no fender flares or widening of body).

I would have to agree with Doc since we have already started the season. I think we should make a clear cut decision regarding years, pods, motors ect. before we start building cars for the next season.

Building cars for next season...  with my current load I'm about three seasons out at this point.  ;-)

"Big Smooth"

Me too Smooth,....I'm still workin' on my cars for LAST season!

I am fine with what you proposed Bill. I think continuity of the rules is important for both new and old members. We don't have to reinvent the wheel and have multiple cars for a class because of changing rulesets.

For me, the ONLY reason I am running the podded chassis on my Fly ferrari is because I paid 40 dollars for it that way. I don't see any real advantage of my car over Al or Doc's cars, they both turn laps right there with mine.

In the end, the racing in this class has been very close if I am not mistaken....Why change?

Zack

I'm with you Zack. I was just seeking clarification in an effort to sell a new guy a car easily set up for the class. I apologize for not being able to remember the issues around the GT40s. I guess I was thinking the spec 14k motor was the equalizer. I know that motor made a couple of my crappy cars a lot more competitive!

Hi,
I'm the new guy that started this disruption. I was just asking dumb questions (again) and stepped on another land mine! I sincerely apologize for rocking the boat and hope (but doubt) that it will be the last time.

Mt Goat wrote:

Hi,
I'm the new guy that started this disruption. I was just asking dumb questions (again) and stepped on another land mine! I sincerely apologize for rocking the boat and hope (but doubt) that it will be the last time.

Tom, don't feel bad. This is exactly why the discussions need to happen, when we race every week with the same group it is easy to lose sight of making it easy for the new guy! It is however, important that we take this into consideration with classing.

As we have discussed, classic 1 is difficult to get a "budget" car going. That said, I do have a spare if you should need it for the next race!

Zack

Sounds good Zach. I might need to take you up on that loaner offer. I ordered a 14k motor, but I keep changing my mind on which car to try and build for the Classic 1. On a bright note, I picked up a DTM and LMP car from Bill for the upcoming races.

Mt Goat wrote:

Sounds good Zach. I might need to take you up on that loaner offer. I ordered a 14k motor, but I keep changing my mind on which car to try and build for the Classic 1. On a bright note, I picked up a DTM and LMP car from Bill for the upcoming races.

Sweet dude!

You are gonna be set up in no time!

Zack

1,448 (edited by Mitch58 December 31, 2019 8:04 pm)

Remember Mark a magnet can be your friend... until you win.

A great non controversial platform is the Pink Kar Ferrari GTO, it can be made to run very well with a 14K motor

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/mitchpinkargto.jpg

Post's attachments

78157250_10218878694012960_6511492328534835200_o (1).jpg 406.21 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

1,449 (edited by wb0s January 2, 2020 12:43 pm)

Ooh, ooh,......I know somebody that has some of those for sale!!!!!

Checked this morning and I have 8 flavors to choose from!.........

.........just sayin'................

eBay is loaded with them Doc.