Topic: NASTE 2014 Season - Race No. 12

Thank you Monte and Victoria for an interesting night of racing! The food was good, company was better and I had a nice time.

Congrats to Monte and Rico for winning! That was some fast and furious racing. smile Having 30 second heats for that new scoring experiment worked better than I thought it would, but too bad for Bill when his car got put back in the wrong lane. sad

Terry explained to me that if I had won last night, I would have moved up to the Expert division so Thank You Rico for beating me and I am VERY happy to have come in second! ;~}

Here are the pictures from yesterday.
http://s737.photobucket.com/user/SlotCa … 023%202014

Thank you to whomever it was who took my camera and shot video. There are a couple of nice ones on there and I'll be uploading them with no changes. The others I shot will have to wait until I edit them together.

Thanks again Monte and Victoria!

Re: NASTE 2014 Season - Race No. 12

Just sent the photo link out to you on FB too if we are friends. Sorry Bill. You don't seem to be on FB any longer so I sent them to Diane. Please apologize to her for me if it was an intrusion.

Hi Dorothy, Thanks again for taking photos and video, and of course for bringing your fabulous treats!!!
Monte & Victoria, thanks for an excellent race day!!!

As far as the moving up to expert rule, I believe what we decided in regards to amateur status was; if an amateur wins the NASTE CHAMPIONSHIP they have to move up to expert status.

It's the Odd Thursday Racing where; if you win you are required to race magnet-less, which is basically joining the expert ranks.

Dennis or Victoria, please correct me if I'm wrong. I know we have it written down somewhere...........

P.S. Yup, no longer on Facebook........

Thanks Dorothy for the kind comments.   According to my wife it was the worst slot car decision I have ever made so it's unlikely we'll be doing that again any time soon.

My apologies to everyone, especially Bill who we totally failed when we didn't get his car moved to the correct lane.

I'll work on doing better.

"Big Smooth"

5 (edited by reek455 February 25, 2014 7:30 am)

Thank you Monte and Victoria for being such gracious hosts especially since I got the time wrong and showed up an hour early or so.  Still not 100% sure how I won the lightning round.  Sounds like maybe I won it at Bill's expense?

For those of you who are friends with Kelly on Facebook you probably have seen/heard what a fun night we had last night and for those who aren't; it was a night we will not soon forget.  I had a rough weekend and spent 8 hrs Saturday repairing a roof on my mom's rental and then I woke up Sunday at 4:00AM and could not get back to sleep. Back tracking slightly, one of AJ's roomates had left his car in front of our house while he flew to Montana for the weekend to interview for a intern position.  I was supposed to pick him up at 10:00 last night at the airport but his flight ended up getting cancelled due to mechanical problems.  I went to bed around 10:30 and was quickly sound asleep for a while.  I was startled awake by the sound of a heavy duty car crash and my first thought was someone had smashed into his car.  Out the door in my robe to find his car not smashed that I can see.  Gathering my bearings I now spot a car in our yard smashed into the dog wood tree so hard it has toppled the tree.  The driver is out of the car and the passenger is getting out.  I ask them what the hell they were doing and get the reply that at least they had managed to miss both cars.  The passenger then proceeds to get in the drivers seat and to my suprise got the car started.  By now, I figured they were going to make a run for it and stood behind the car and yelled for Kelly to call the police.  He puts the car in reverse, revs the engine and starts back and I had to give way or be hit.  The former driver gets in and they make a dash down  the culdesac giving the police a little time to arrive.  They were apprehended 8 blocks later.  Needless to say I wasn't able to sleep much last night either.

Regards
Rico

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

You have all the fun!

Had a Thanksgiving dinner interrupted when I was young.  A car had smashed through the front of my dad's drugstore.  Damage was significant.

"Big Smooth"

No issue on my end as far as the race results......That's racing!

One video Victoria took finally uploaded. smile I think I need to restart the computer before attempting the other one. Thanks again for the racing!

http://youtu.be/5ZPlTzCFvI8

It was an interesting format for sure. Dorothy beat me! Who you are on the track with really can affect your score. I think we did say that once you won a NASTE race you were an expert. I'll never claim to be an expert, though.

Great, just looked at the video and Dorothy beat Bill and me. She must be cheating! tongue

Terry, You are much closer than I on the actual rule! Here it is per the meeting 2013 BBQ Meeting at Monte & Victoria's:

"Expert Racer - Any person who has placed first, second or third in an expert race with other expert racers. Expert status is forever. Experts may not move down to race in amateur only races. Any racer can, at any time, self declare as an expert. Such declarations are irrevocable."

I see 19 points added to Dorothy's Point Series total. That would indicate a second place finish in an expert race. Looks like she now has "Expert" driver rating.

So my question would be; does she have to race Expert for the rest of the season?
Or does her "Expert" status start with the beginning of next season?

The 19 is a result of the points garnered in the NASTE Challenge race, not the expert event.  As it turned out she had the second highest total regardless of division.

"Big Smooth"

OK, now I'm confused.........

How were the points awarded for this race?

Typically only overall finish position points are awarded, correct?

Exactly.

"Big Smooth"

OK...........

So she was second overall, right?

WOW! Discussion on whether I'm an Expert? I'm flattered, but confused.
I see the rules now that Bill has explained them, but does that mean then that everyone who has gotten 20, 19 or 18 points for a race is now an expert because that is what is given to 1st, 2nd and 3rd? If so, then there are a lot of people who need to get moved up too. Looking at the totals on the points board, Thomas has a 20 and two 18's, Todd has two 19's, Russell has a 20 and 18, Tyler has two 19's, Victoria has a 20 and 18, June has a 20 and 18, Mitch has two 19's, Perry has an 18 and Kira has an 18. I have three 19's. So by those totals, we have a lot of people who have come in 1st, 2nd or 3rd overall in the total for a night of racing, so does that mean we all move up to Expert?
I'm so confused. smile

Good question Dorothy. Using the scores as an indicator would depend on whether you raced with the expert class or not. The digital enduro races were a team event so I don't think those races should affect a racers standing as amatuer or expert. Finishing in the top three in an amatuer race would not force you to move to expert. Only finishing in the top three of a race AGAINST experts would affect your standing.  We score the finish positions in order for each division (amatuer & expert) seperately. The points assessed for the Championship are the racer's OVERALL finish position (amatuer & expert together. i.e. you could finish 2nd in amatuer, but be 5th overall). You scored your 19 points in the second race (using the point system + laps completed method of scoring the race) for second place in a race with experts. You BEAT ALL BUT ONE OF THE EXPERTS! .......NICE JOB! Sunday's race was scored using the Full Monte System where you get your best finish in EITHER race (the Full Monte System is essentially 2 individual races on the same race day)...............clear as mud???

So, the interprtation I seek is; are you an expert as of that race (now), or do you finish out this season as an amatuer and start next season as an expert?

I would think you would finish this season out in the amatuer ranks? To me that would be the fair course, because I think you should still be elligible for the NASTE Challenge Championship for 2014.

OK, as to Dorothy's question about other amatuers with scores indicating top 3 finishes. After reviewing the scores for the amatuers; Todd, Russel, Tyler, Victoria, June, Mitch, Perry, and Kira ALL scored their top 3 finishes in team endurance races on the digital track. Those races should not affect their amatuer standings because the finishes were not an individual accomplishment. Thomas scored two of his top 3 finishes in the team enduros. One of Thomas' top 3 finishes (scored as a 2nd place finish overall) was a lap total from an amatuer race at Rico's Atumn Hills track. That lap total gave him first place in that amatuer race, which bumped him into the expert race. He placed 7th in the expert race, however if he could have repeated or equalled the lap total he got in the amatuer race, he would have tied for third in the expert race. However he DIDN'T, and as the rule reads; "Expert Racer - Any person who has placed first, second or third in an expert race with other expert racers".

Dorothy did not finish second in a race with the experts but her total from the "amateur" race was so high that it placed her second overall.  As I understand it. 

One of the problems with points series is events where there are few entrants.  I won my first rally trophy on a day when we ran an extremely difficult event not knowing any better.  There were three of us in the Novice class.  They gave us all trophies and instantly promoted us to the advanced class based on the rule of once you trophy.  Felt like we got short-changed.  But at least we got the first place trophy.

In my opinion you should not advance during the season but after/prior to the next.

However, I also did once win two classes in the same season.

"Big Smooth"

Thanks for the clarification Smooth. Sounds like you and I are on the same page when it comes to advancing to expert. It should be for the next season, not their current amatuer season. I think everyone will agree with that.

So back to Dorothy's placing in the last race. I see now she was awarded second overall for her score in the amatuer race. However when she advanced to race a second time with the experts she placed third in that race. That would still put her within the expert ranks by the current rules. I think we should take another look at that rule.

I also think that when we run an "experimental" race format we should consider not scoring points for that initial race. In my opinion we should only run proven race formats for official point series races. When I say proven what I mean is; a race format that has been used in prior races, whether it be with the NASTE club or another club on a regular basis. If for instance one of the NASTE tracks decides to run a different format used regularly by another club, the format should be used and scored exactly as the other club does (i.e the format used at Edgewater Raceway in Salem). If a new format, or changes to an existing format are implemented, the format should be tested under race conditions to be sure it is equitable to all. There are plenty of opportunities to try new race formats at races other than NASTE Point Series Championship Races.

Again, these are MY opinions!   Any comments?   --------------Bill

Maybe we don't really need a rule as to how someone becomes an expert. It becomes obvious when you race someone if they are good or not. Thomas, Russell and Dorothy all have become very good drivers as they have proven by consistently winning the Challenge races to move up and race with the "experts". As for the different format we used at Monte's, it could work with a little tweaking. Dorothy scored well because she didn't crash. There were only five experts racing and of those, Monte sat out, Tracy crashed out early twice and Bill got the TooBad curse twice. That helped the three remaining drivers score big in the bonus points. It was a fun experiment, but it also can be frustrating to amateur drivers.

I agree we don't need a rule to determine if someone should be racing in the expert division. Although during the meeting in August it was felt we did need a rule. That's where the rule came from. It was not my idea, but a group consensus (of those that took an active part in the discussion, which there were few). However that being said, I also know that sometime, someone will push the limit, sandbag, or whatever to take advantage of winning in the amatuer ranks. There are people who are possessed when it comes to the desire or need to win! I think requiring racers to move up to expert if they win the NASTE Challenge Championship for the year is enough.

As far as the format we used at Monte's using the scoring system, I think the heats need to be longer (at least 4 minutes). The break in the middle of the heat needs to be a pause, not a total restart after the break. It should be 1 heat race with a pause in the middle to reslot cars. What we ended up with was two 30 second heats back to back in each lane. As an example of what could and did take place was; I ran my first 30 second segment completing just over 3 laps. The other two racers completed just under 2 laps. My car stopped 1/10th of a lap after the lap counter, the other two cars stopped 8/10th's to 9/10's before the lap counter. Since the race was escentially re-started and the lap counter was reset after the "pause", I started the next segment in last place almost 1 full lap behind. Now I understand the same applies for all racers, but if points are awarded for finish positions the math does not work out. A 30 second segmnent covering 3 laps is not enough time to determine anything as far as driving skill. I understand this type of racing would be frustrating for the amatuer ranks, but it can be just as frustrating for the expert ranks. This type of racing illustrates how good driving skills are just as important as going fast! In a 30 second segment where 3 laps is the maximum, it promotes strategic car placement for the second segment, not racing. In my opinion the heats were not long enough to acturately determine a winner. I'm not whinin', just stating the facts!

I agree on just having the Challenge champion moving up. The crash and burn can work with the right rules, but I still think it would cause more frustration than we would want at our races. The KISS rules work best. Gotta get my track uncovered and get some practice in! smile

I'm with you Terry, simple is BEST! Our group is all about avoiding frustration!!!

.......................P.S............you don't need any practice!!!!

Dorothy beat me at Monte's! I need practice, or more rum balls! tongue