Topic: BSCC Poll

I have been doing a fair amount of reading on other forums and it appears that most people that run non mag cars do so on wood routed tracks.  There are a fair number that run on RTR (plastic) track but they usually paint/coat the track surface for more traction which I don't think Randy is willing to do.  It is my opinion that high speed non mag cars would be too slippery on stock (unpainted) track.  I'm afraid that going from blistering fast Slot.it cars to low voltage non mag might short circuit my we little brain.  Anyone for some sort of transitional step: mildly modified stock mag cars? That way the transition will not be so drastic.
Rico

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

Re: BSCC Poll

No problem there, Rico.  Those are good points.  In fact, I actually have a painted track.  Soon it will be taped.  The tape is sitting in the garage on the bench.

The goal of the poll is to determine how much down force and speed we want for starters.  Sounds like your preference would be the RTR choice for now.  We can always determine later what the parameters of a given class might be.  I was just hoping for a ballpark approach.  I sort of see it as 4 base levels:

1.  Really fast cars with lots of magnets
These are the cars we are currently running in the unlimited slot.it class.  Cars are really fast and modified within a set of rules.  Cars can get pretty costly.

2.  Ready-To-Run (RTR) cars with magnets
These cars would basically be stock and so limited to the magnets that come in the car.  Some modifications could be allowed to get around the person that gets the 10/10ths car.  Cars are reasonably inexpensive.

3.  Fast non-mag cars
These are probably the over-achievers of the non-mag world.  Cars like Slot.it, NSR, and even the newer SCX Pro would be good choices.  Probably beyond our skill level for starters.  Cars can once again become rather costly but at least you don't have to buy any magnets!  smile

4.  Slower non-mag cars
Cars with motors of less than 20k.  Most any car could be used since there is a variety of good motors that could be used available.  Since most any car could be used, this would also be one of the more inexpensive classes.  And it could also allow for quite a bit of ingenuity on the part of the car builder.

As always, the actual rules need to be pretty well spelled out.

As far as transitions, I am guessing the easiest way to get out of the first group is by going to group 2 followed by group 4 before ever attempting group 3.  But what the heack do I know?  That's why I ask...

You tell me.  Please.

"Big Smooth"

I think we are pretty well in agreement.  Has anyone actually talked with Randy about this or is this his proposal?  I have heard him mention possibly going to non mag, but nothing definite.  My choice would be some type of touring/GT car, different from the Lemans and Nascar that we have been running.
Rico

Here's my two cents; if a magnetic class is chosen, limit it to one tracion magnet - no dumbell magnets. I like the non-magnetic class idea, but Rico has a good point about traction on plastic track. The other factor would be Randy's present track has some severe visibility issues. Poor visibility is a bigger issue for non-magnetic clases than magnetic. Years ago we raced a class of HO cars (Aurora Magna-Tractions) that were slightly modified and pretty fast, with light magnetic traction. They were a blast, and one of the groups favorite classes.  --------------------------Bill

My opinion is that we should go for the stock RTR one magnet class, stock motors, and only one brand. That way, for the next transition, we would be in the middle of all the groups again and could choose slower or faster, similar to what we did after the Carrera class. (although a factory stock Slot-it is pretty fun to drive...)

I like that AJ.  ------------Bill

7 (edited by flyinbryan August 7, 2008 4:50 pm)

Yes, a RTR class sounds great!.....right out of the box....no big mods...turn the power down a  little and maybe by the end of the class our cars still might look like they did at the start of the class. smile

"Due to economic cutbacks,the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off"

Any thoughts on brand, type of car, etc?  Something with multiple liveries and/or body styles is pretty much a prerequisite.  Scalextric Aston/Jag or how about the damage resistant cars Boxster, Audi, Ferrari, Lamborghini.  These are cheap and plentiful.  The new Fly Flyers may be out in time. Check them out here:
http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/News/ … -a343.html
Just a few ideas...

Yes, I agree, cheap and plentiful would be ideal.  As well as similar in performance.  However, we could also just pick a car that comes in white and everyone can decorate their own.  That might be fun on multiple levels.  It would also provide a variety of liveries which is the real problem with the Ferrari class we are running now.  smile

It would be fun to see how many showed up at the first race running white cars.  Hmmmm...  a few decals...  a little clear coat...  However if you are going to go that route at least get the sparkly clear coat.

Those Flyers look perfect but there doesn't seem to be any word yet of a white version.  We'd want more than 4 liveries I hope.

"Big Smooth"

10 (edited by f250lusso August 8, 2008 12:33 pm)

i think monte has a good idea, some variety may be nice. they don't really have to be white cars, but maybe cars that would be easy to repaint, without lots of detail. but i think we should stick to some type of GT style car, and scalextric offers some plain whites anyways...:)

Any type of car as long as it is on the cheap side is good...and I like the idea of getting the bodies in white so we can all have different colors on the track...

All of those red ferrari's on the track was a little mind bending at times....  hmm

"Due to economic cutbacks,the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off"

Great ideas guys. 

Some things I have been talking with the members about involves exactly this.  I think it is a good idea to slow it down gradually.  With the goal of eventually getting to a magnet less or very low magnet car.  We have been testing some of these cars out with Frank and others and found they work very well. 

I also like and favor the idea of a cheap car that can be painted for individualism. 

Frank is working on some cars that are a brass chassis type with weight maybe a light magnet and is looking to offer up 4 for maybe an IROC series of racing.  Of course, a small fee for Frank's expenses would be in order but it would give a season of racing at very low expense to the members.  What do you all think of that?

I think the slot.it class could have been very expensive for 1/32 scale stuff, which is unusual in that aspect.  But at the time it is what we wanted to do.  I feel a less expensive option for the next season is best definitely.

Plus, we will be changing the track layout for the Winter Season, and that should take care of the viewing issues too. 

We are going to open up a contest like's Bill just had.  Great idea by the way.  Our track table is 17 x 10 in size, so officially let me announce the contest.  If you had some ideas send them my way by either print or email.

We are looking for 2 layout types.  One is a completely flat track with no overpasses.  The other can have the overpasses.  Submit up to 5 layouts each max from any layout program you like.  Byron and I will judge them and pick one to build.  And if you want to see how it all goes together we will have open houses for building the layouts and placing the decor.

Racin' Randy