376

(69 replies, posted in Events)

Funny story...

I may have erroneously proclaimed you the winner due to having the monitor tucked up under the turn and me not being used to how RC displays the winner.  I'm sure I read it off bottom to top, but then never read Bill's name at the very top because I didn't see it (and the font changed).  I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't be hanging on every word I utter, but for some reason he must have missed the fact that I didn't call his name.  If you look at the picture, it does clearly show he took top spot:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/PXlakg_yO_fHITYv3PZ4mfxe7G-gg5e5tiZ_KEalX5Re1qkVaGUj_g63hhhLGDPWpfTNCOg60LAeAw116AwYXExhqyukZIhaxFTuAbOB3tgmk8dZFs8oOtS6N3oWSTE1aUioeJclfX0AVymncy_QWP7zfh2gGRQN_W6zjI5jW_im5DJ3A_kbzNaLMsejMRJ2vyFAILLs2isAiasR-a03wzliRcW8-CuEu6IDQhjMQFzR6rd9pMFA_Z6j39hq8xlUBWI7HvQTGQYMTbpyAhxceJPeT7KX46Zl1uUCEKtacx4uX1OoWTTm6ZnA2J47pZKhDdNQrb8LBcESbeoaC4u40sgHkoRYh29rC2329mJwfvkkxmNizf1zV19abwTvUfHBiyyi--eRZBusTjx5MhprWdQ3H7BMPaNk6a7Q_oUc3YYiw8GtRncHm7yFlpH4-150eaOKkep9mpsDFsb78jNASI3EiUa_xVMaz0KXNC6UBP56oEDE2a-FfZJi-z_oXcXmiZ7oEDWpW7i9cn9OnSo1C2A5-_D1ytR65-BE9rPcAlzgeTLsMd8Fc54piHsU_CRakxHdEhDEkASHTvl2tbvxvEpOlYKxvsJ8be7Xa9wEa0rKrKfTqyUFpFzX_UPHtGkDIDkPv06asHcKQh3WiCa5aCSMlVzLH1m1KfuEVwYW51Y=w1369-h770-no

Sorry about the confusion.   This feels slightly like the 2015 Mexican F1 GP.  Kinda...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Mexican_Grand_Prix

377

(69 replies, posted in Events)

Thanks Howie for letting a bunch of hoodlums run wild in your shop today.  Thankfully the temps were high enough to keep us pretty lazy and mellow.

For the unfamiliar, this is what Rapid Raceway looks like, with our host in the white shirt on the right (and Trans Am cars at the start line):
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/PYxACT5iupmQYFUsi7_AddBR2TukjAF_AzyDISiuW-lQh-_y6TaKGvHL8rNgsyEquZ5UCSicG0aDq7DBNo79igkyhakP0ICZq3CE0J8Lzj4BaGbuagKLD_Nns_CL88RIdx0RzIKC0wTwrPP471oDi61rkVGROLXF93CLqKdSEu2tAjlpuhQPNGNkRHYszk7OPQcqOXfphSlfinzSTCHNfUHvZkdJFrpuZLw12RUXX6siVIY4535doNUCrA5igb3ILUHWDfyRLGDQpEwqh-YyeimvG3NIIC78nlVIMqxAXhlZimrMl1cUpGke20TUDjjbTJAGM8KgnxB0dmbXHHiI3q6kUMedEbF6iN3HxmjyqTBWEg969siGbyvOGJ-u8VINKg0umuqAxeNJDs7eD5SmWjgyFLWCOSkoyATDcmbaEkGYzjiX6H-YT0LwdxWJrc5zgy4ZF_WeBNKMSW2JJ48y1oU3P6JNCYhefhtIbMyUtnXoLmtShjOxxf7wV72jz1QVM3VVr4DN1MeipoONeRqWYOMACdXEb3u2fuu--k8K_HWfWVAZ-IVhg82o28tJ934wEwAM6AOXREgWRWOEAVm8HXSF5fyhKx8INn7vdhTv4YftGWThvbButHxNj2fbLffI0Pb6OUrDQVwOdorwmmmq4YW0n8cnJ2gH-9lIPvGrqRA=w1369-h770-no


We started with a field of 8 racers who braved the heat today.  First up were the new class of Trans Am cars run in an IROC format.
Our fleet consisted of the four cars from the two Oregon teams which were entered in last year's Tacoma 24h.  The cars are only now just about to be commercially released, but the ones from the fall classic seemed to run out extremely well at Rapid Raceway.  With great looking bodywork and simple aluminum podded chassis, they were well matched with each other and the voltage (13v) suited the pink motors well.  The end results were:

1 - Bill "How'd I get here" Bostic - 152.1 laps
2 - Monte "Big Smooth" Saager - 150.1
3 - Rico - 143.2
4 - Howie - 141.2
5 - Chris - 140.2
6 - Mitch - 138
7 - Al - 131
8 - Jimmy - 100


The Trans Am's in motion:https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/YY07BneFWoz8UmtjPpufuV3g2O6vwwiuxysmPltkF13fkFSWRaAmZf7xqY_Vog_v5xtuz94LJg06ALWbXNcx2ky3Yn3rNo7K-Xp2PX_X6jFBwXFg00hXbDiFLyyiErAkTI2t_Kvh1MUYP-Sy4vljmjmXIwVy9YkJ1rdfGbAVj8Ctg6chKs74-hqZxxe4pfHHe92zinS7kt1PZC9B4c9C2RH6JncuQBzZNYSQkFi-7dkFe8Kkmni-4fxVqQOe6mn0v0zJqKbkBNZR0tuSPqvZfk0LhsqVwhGIXMte3J2O37d-ouBoBop9yM85E5-Snc8hB_pbjN00Jab2e_qDvUkd1-QAfn4ap3Dvu2QUbmBMh5G2apOKZnD1XQBS40M0BlXG7Wu-syDHxsMg-ksjBAzuq4QfN46WQ5Bs08OdKgwNnZKRd4W-xzOl2ynU2qZfjO3UhfA1sfn9Izr8NraZIceaS8YsYsjMo6NxmE3UKAxF9pGmR-VmV7Ml0RmjTodhok-OvqzMMKGyg1CkHGQCgqO3g6fC9w4JXS4WDO030Hu0ME-NBJz4cB08Ifx4pMEcdK7GATb7O5usDFEIzTTi0eGJ9q-vDcgzhrk5bpeofYMTiXHKT9v7GRboE_NRm2TOVYXi3xmrzXBRrsLXYzhFoNuDUAXgW1ag1Re9OTbhYK9wOPk=w1095-h616-no


Blurring through the corner and onto the straight, 3 cars wide, Rico with his hand over his heart, cringing in fear of the mess he may have to marshall:https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/lmxS7h_m_92rra8keLOC4TJvvZFUMhUSz6N10MtQwJeFDJoUu5Tsftbv8nth5HDBz-8QPm2YjyXELHnod-5ZuxbFWda7mfOFA_wQq_AZo7697XTMii4IarQingUgKUAYo_H9UOlk01VVk5SuxeK159PNp6DQVSEgX7pmyJAAKDcwQ1Hyp72HtRycElnlWIP1CHtGivn1D3DWhJYHb-BWYeHX8dk0bfAn_MlfcfOrIubCdT900gSY_o6ug_SG55Bma1O3w0qHBJhoa9l2Lu5Xmc6CuqVfcIZ_8KhiImDQEtcgsn_CDGj-h5MsG4xgprDDAM5msoJ2SHQhxx1jLc8eRUuNJ1kKvCqImhrdQdpQsYg_TlTMXqqaabrogKKnvlD9p1aBk9h1vo-jC-evw97Sf_B87xI8iwquWYVRh7E5z4DjPIWSqmjSyHguXA00JkKGd87sKJ2oGVl5iZLyTo3rcWsme2zCsLuzR5d8ERPBZeirfkhf9vXc97yxviw5udLGe4JCj0RQAdiQI2-IlQMJXM1Qi9u4lDeUSO4x2M0LZnv_wJh-536l2KlZDj683EmLTQS5wYSm_aDFtHQ3xV3CkIM_jbT8kjTiKxKb6Bps06slvc3KYZV1MpTYGb9o0itAVxeXic8CDUjMiD-Syu0efnVJNfIHi2w6xsAPRSx7mxU=w1369-h770-no



Next up were our ever so popular Group C cars.  For this we run box stock in either anglewinder or inline configuration.  It was weird having sufficient lane spacing to not be bouncing them off each other and the 13v sure made them quick.

One heat's starting grid:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/txAWAGALmcugTSAUpnOn7d6MNQVZKGcvfVQnHe7ui9UBfAxpHnkwr0ma4yt8G0_2MB2b3QL23KNoIB_i_BeN3-RnFn1NYkYmGmJtuUd4jwOaqYm1a1ybqGJeuA5cDa1157_cIARKd3mit5kTY6PY48nh0ERxJPLrcpw9MY7oTvQParS2RJY2diYDt9TilpBXX4Aq9lPL-5OgYH6z4z94aEN-nghlfWumiOW_vHt86uzHINIJBXX6q3eFNprRhHKvSdGTTkMCztIu-V5HSLcqZnwSE72dAqL5Vu4mz-IjXWYDKLRTxuh5ZIsZd8Go1Yx5f8PeXhY3zLt8NCDCBt8DH5ilHPeNDRA0az7qghXFD_M5Jg3R3Lev-G_dmrmlH0ggjpJqFhSmk8JBfmYelc6XYnLQ5h5a5TdiyGjWB4olfXwKOBbu3SzZ-jaftedvHPl_m3W0vmxhUWllWxSRZsIZUUzhpVQx3dOYhNPzAk_LAZ6lBcRAxkF0hiipHtDoNMzxqNZK3x5yc04PWw6xSZ4NSXw8W19tmMoASZRnJw4V29BhrG_KYHFfRQQv-BdsoH8UYnwQGWX_vgtT_9GHV_fjJbvejGHSWHCViINIJrbfe9kfMjF6HXFkoiLk1E84Ug7gwMR5H59s6mYZO2ftBKNRcSEmOI9xxupwgyUa7VtYDyo=w1369-h770-no

The crowd thinned by one for Gp C as Howie had somewhere else he had to be.  In the end, it was:

1 - Monte 138 + a little more than Rico
2 - Rico 138 + not quite as much as Monte
3 - Chris 132
4 - Tie for Mitch and Bill at 121 and I can't remember who was further around the track
5 - See above
6 - Al - 118
7 - Jimmy - 99


Artsy Gp C in-motion blurry shots, starting with Rico dusting off Bill (as his destroyed pinion wakes the dead!):
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/tl1G4MptJgj0E_aYrxPb5t7k7y_mUA3jIpPCBZDNzH2ewDOZkXMHauJz3r4PdEXbP8gzUOWhw-frOSAfp5JzvM6J-Hfau_6oZBIjlrNDOvHTAX_gtZQCI7o5rHVsZAteZH3DEXouS9Yra6aM-hDm65wbaIAwCOXm7PwHpreEb1-iLhNTyOS3MwFhPFI2RjH49bVE9W-OhqEyeyuwmEXPiqP3u485BoOX4wgT_nl_FTKN0HzmPk7YshK9Obgr5euLE92XAuVLLWvZV6pv0cvaLgHu2yxWBvGNpxGiKm2tYpj91WBMPBW1xW6NqtEmDbKrDjvFM9rfTvtgFfj1_I0h7ExC-bi6VkyVwsBAvB5rXKWdLcfPlfVrOO5L5xM4pgZaMqY7BJ4wYK9w6H4N5SQw-1pzPyfQTYyrrMi1TQmu9Ous3qwxYEuBEyTyMC8VmJehtsJEZJ8TnF5R6bqq7ww6-aG-eFAzV35kC8VUTzIopHL5n_MlDj3ii3SusgKaQGzVRRpqUEZJEv_Ys_jFEpl-9SLUKpCa7CFVEOK0cXPCndAHeAB8d7pro0yUpPLznRdtT98QxCBZ8BgLQ0ICN210nFiblE0dc2GFQHVpIBRFkNVPf9qmdGy-VZeKBuSxpe8MAtlBkY_wqZrtJXF_ZwX6yO-GuUz2BklfSij7-B8f_BM=w1369-h770-no

Monte's black and red blur lurks in the shadow beneath the bridge while Rico's red-taped Omron streaks through the frame:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/bICYn6g-4-2_5Jts0H1-OQjGjDZXTXekk5ljFvME727pd2WQfj_mB-yXbEUcRadjsD4ohteqnAbk0r0X6YNUQibffaGMT1RK9oHsoLnk0h-XBl7TR5c35vjv-C6qkuOv8rcZizZub70nGgMc81L6mFjS42UK57ftdsM29gdo5MxOofhkDmSINjvSXw1amNDNCpK-_0u6HgdKWPjBMBaWtAT9ZMPDPqN1xqH3PB9wqY6jgISYn1jsKvpEV-fFSnoCnZ85J9ZSGrBvfYiuiOFCFFnLzNBIAcTnlmDXqnoAjfID27nOM_IMRrkiB74e_DeSi5kp1K-SZlMDHOR3MZNS79PTxthOk0UXJ4vRAMKVCvCaXPpCabh8QT08dld4LHKwVEmvU7XR6_FXhfpg__5GCcBAlULydTwKIPZm4j4ivI8gYFTLxXCh3pI--dYn5umnmIzm9pq8aV33-Bkg6K0CrPm4shgFVcxp0dzQHb8re7MAycElXU9zUMPwgGAUMeIhjlBtICDdawbS2DDUNT-yMiC6l3KUXXBBwyYH02iXF3DsF-nE4kpM85adhleKGSldhrrl53Nox0AEjZdzvRF6gea5AEDnyj_GV71aFyEktSdDbbN9-SAsdISyS1DuY9GZLWs2cjGGH0G695EV0C_M6XOuL-g_Vzz9hdFc5qu7Szk=w1369-h770-no

Mitch's Lowenbrau does a fly-by:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/KUWUrpRyDizVMnD2xqrLLuveV2ripZgB_H72RCT5HpFICuIdRPh3VmnLLjSMZonyvUkvHuQOMyPsIbnm3o5QdhScSLhpkmTagUh6lVhAZiUVG1uqEt1x-KD_Kkr_kITb5C4UA-yKug9BKNWk_03jxditxXbblDypHmEsFgiynE6PjBfeZoU8evD17vUcywtWXRqEVImCgdVF2rPPOU78ymeEfj0n8yLy8dgp95xMzOMxXeUzrZ4Y09wp3cX1kh_cPqrWMytV9CE-cvcLNhhjWLiOKum_iBJAyO5RA8WbNYC8h85RlQUMmuCoT3pWDn3kOsCsf1aNR-mlgB5dWxIcz_F9XFLSjV0lvyB6WJU6JQpsIy4y9ziOrgI3BH6nOnog3xw5OhBsTXbGCWFEvrfllY5o1Sf5qI0y3C8aFt3r9JWHY7IsGohRFHsMiJwlxPpQQxRSOT5Hrnma_5ya6NwKUcXXxFq1SPxhJtmBBZ3QVYdrvPY3Rkee9m8iSxLncf9S08JzWsSuIm2JijFjiS65MEZnORgBxaqm-OMMBryq5Ge9GZ9f1lwVYD0smkcvWuoO3tMXDtg8XAMX7ItFwIpULJshHxhmzS9ze549xrxyll0IMfnV2B6gASNcF7kNDOX61FyMWnGu9w4EoANhbDtCm9yggEFz1o2OyWRlUF-d8tw=w1369-h770-no

Bill's Bud car does some streaking of its own:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/ZYtA-eeEWRlzyXB_6Bwo4e5blbn2zcrvqq2aH2Nbu7a5hgLwI4y0xmx48U_g3MCbwRyzrrPhsUn6yYcsXKPt6iCGRMLzfGS-RXkiHDP1CGJ0d1nyrV3bOuskE8E2hACnCc6oeDPU81pHntBMbg29MtQ3CUucGNaJmhj7IAVxGgQD4k1l_vvYSXxqrTOJK_izZnI9MwzOLk6nrqIV91mfQP696gXVBINuyNpntW_hJMnFKeb53SMZJUIqvqz50qMd9PyGsq4cv8N9S2ccmOnNVZCEvJwSQoLuyQQI3vQjkG3mVb-LuyQZa7YMp8emyt0r0UMi0SnWNkQSJbnqGi-9ci0gYpTRwu2fujY6w8nLbZQrIX7sJ2UB4oRsx1X3Eq6YvnA04kEv6ViOejeGOhLj0XXUxcUNwPlnFlxEcSOQ-7ApE1IM0e_UwoJORUx-GUkDQrEj0kOXKWOGWXMV_mu0zkkmeGQlA6Ne1KUzyQ3U6FU4slqGH1o4rNTnGAZASDdZBuM1otAo1BjHXNH0_OXFG4Ee-Z_rRrckXHSBnidipwK_sBVQ399aOI830O5Fd_lHezVEt6dNTyZdZGetD2VS6q8FO5B2SglPrSiszKlzHUys-dCUQ-vDEg-D-NK1RUqESx7AXXBysVwWy6Qln2Pwu86Xrn8hX6aC0teOqtUnNZA=w1369-h770-no



Next up were the BRM Classics - the 917 and the 512.  There is a modest population of these among the NASTE regulars and we are nearing critical mass to work these into our normal rotation.  Just need a few more people to take the plunge and run them with us.  They do make a gorgeous starting field though:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/h-_hfIVoYqpLMGJxYg-jpVpZRPnpn0ftGL_FzUwNshQdlZC2DTrj2asWgXNtkqOnJEHMFUhmB-fyRn7UnNvLoNjQoxSCMoPbZ7wZ9KtRaVJV0-lrIxwfhF_q55vD101iFB_uV_vKJ98H75sesmHM1GEpQxwmcejnGURr7FROfAk5phbbQRIzNBuTFV2l4yDxbhUmZC1diIwTCRKNIQ9Qt2XOp9Lh8dwxmaegte4A9nGFx0ZKUJXlz1XV9kFDMCJCPVzej14JVeIKqsKzKLuV-cLmMP7U0zNnALHLD4sNOsfEKldtdLEnKINEP8zX77gfelMZr2UzAVbCcRiRV-mrq335RS5mD6kTU1eDw0Pb2kvOc8UoFc4KZ7JNoGmzFNwxKkWGC6ExFKcvnK8TZuV9wMHRUWRJGhYnTYeEle7NiQsWO2ZzgyKm5N3gTgpfkiDKbRcTr0sw0Hf1msmzELU7nqllIu1lOjEo6ikfy_6sIEOXIbtLaSeQ3JNnKrnnb09hwip1bH4LoVoZoVcHAAgLGUCLgrR-cRqTnrSaac1xYgFBdbElTgcKyK2z2yWkOZLP75kGyB--XQzxbURH6g6QBS9Uk47hUt1v-mvparamiDYyTSOaEvTvoKaNmC7dtyuliAa5GFCIiTIIJAAUFMFpR5mc1Rw81kk4dtXkuWD1C7M=w1369-h770-no

We were whittled down to 5 and a half racers for this race as Jimmy needed to step away before the green dropped and Rico was on borrowed time and bailed after heat 2.  There were good battles throughout the field but in the end, Monte wasn't able to three-peat.  Bill stood at the top of the podium, followed by me and then Mitch:

1 - Bill - 144
2 - Chris - 139
3 - Mitch - 132
4 - Al - 127
5 - Monte - 126
6 - Rico - 63

More artsy shots...

Monte's shaken, not stirred Martini & Rossi 917 getting the taillight treatment from Bill's Gulf Oil entry:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_mrGgNQo6v7j7C1Mbvw1OXn3cAJ56T9mrwkshpaFlI1Oj3itxM504UTXfCVWhOryzLX6KWxBde1uVvNXyvF8yREHPlNWqornatQAsQLAsij9EHHSjhlQF0jwjj7zl8l1UUOHYOk8xCxLrfym1s6W7Vc8uzNQEzh8isnKvepRdYCJPXnNJrACfSCQrXlJLXxEJXMlLqJuDnpctzYxpw-t9s0ZtMUBpzuhpQQ1Xrz129v6ZzMV17FuVrII4cYlTWsa0P8zHe2_kchnQed8uCV_3LC-Nwr4Ft_Q90kRrC9wSaXiiCYNwnfuTdhWfjjQdFg5QMPv5yYz0JvZPG5rboj9uZIP9_7fwmI3KY96sBM_2T3scAApd1rUqV2_LLFck0w6XqnWOnHNysJyE-qLDDDq0pVXqMVybWiE2-Qz5SXvEnQz8Jx_12TNsCAibf79_p-SLawgGHJGclOUAJOIYmzqBAK8KLNkCaSLVNPXrvRpUjvB4Sppi6Obg2Ck2601h3Sqmxw0KD5ABW8sFS9ewSLUka8ZoGH8gHnNMiiVPeDHwF33wVGseXUcupa339uZZoJpffFCUHLc8W6P42rX8xIT27R5qSn8Hrrcgpk2CfTT7folVQUw6fRR57bU0VTsUz43NG4oVwS5PZNmPESCKeSlwXXXhLm_7YVEWTqLPsQmqQw=w1369-h770-no

Mitch's borrowed entry in its familiar Scuderia Kouba livery:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/QzMe6W5Ies6m30OK7x_VSAKuFXGLldD_IBXghhFipVqrWLjcAvuprTffMkakf7uY1OlGAPUUX0d1ypV34y5gHQociBI6IparryIM_dUGAqsLff9hjWDkU4W_mh-yD9xfsC8sM5pN5s7qgBpqyubK8kSZ696gB5j2wuTSqvkUC9a_a9YJC_HuqzuvfslKTZ6cm0gEJqJMLgkltv_GB6Zg5JPQoYCRXxAzyauQAT2-hCMgIfTZZhM6Qe5sud9XYzKFe3TrQObS6jW2Qeb8Sz9WuIIKKeiScs6JLTseQ04UeNwmtwcRLF0Ivc1K7lmvjzts_L_H4CNxtISwZYkrCK_ppgbvNKA5uMcnlwplOIFXUteQc2QfeAjgDmoRsClqZj4A5CFpoxsusZp4w0fiHf9Jg7f-LOCyryydJXyQfQC8ObROCosTeuzjbu_KdCNh6EY3eg1xKOYp6hEx9kBlkgRToW9ZcjWRikeKyq8e254cek8TAcgXoVyviQqeOzKY2bIRjJHQ03rs9ifpdmYiBeeeC38mOrTB9OIer-FwT8iOrVeelbi7TMdLS3PFF3loN-oXu4-f5u1keTupme9t8LTyFzCWFH9sZCdcZgTvc_FW3KscONKKDpHrubMHdyDDnR2f98BSzpfmYIvYAm8pAVKknIJkdSHHFwsAw12DJE8vjwQ=w1369-h770-no



The last event of the day was the GT/BRM Open race, where you could run anything you had the heart to build up with BRM parts.  It made for an, ummm, eclectic starting field, as evidenced with this photo:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/EryGJWHetKoUGWFls5oEs8i5kTwSwnsq58aNpTfTpE8x5i6FuZ7CR55SvNrioOkl8tsBCeja13ODccqAgLFd7TMepoLQyMuqIbGZESRiMfGRsLCHKYY_3TwPQUc2Cvd-n3SEl7MlZtvYF_3J4AdRESqzyQKH-7Uk1WkKZfbDna36jFHt2CWSe9ax_OaTkskxQ2rP1O6Kk6SiDOgAECnw6G7hLRngCJn8tnf5GgkuUYN3f8m6BaoxZ4eXdOsiVNf5EwdsyciVNAca81N9vE_hltfRvDiJlgi-l6EzKCGBgd5LpHRfnfubz27qewNi0krO8sianQD4lhqC5_xmaVmeiN_Qh7arIrCkOOx3DoIQozK3CKOoWK8c3I-Zd0q5SwLeoY4zgxpubyqqsqjUCCcGTABfIges8z-lDc1kjzsDwfRvUP0lCDDazv4965sA9nMSGM02w6jqg4Akp9dIP6a16mI2vpI9pu0149o3bh9f6zSPXtvdpgld1DSfV-1cqCkCmu4TD0Bd7OEh4_Icq6Aw2Ecu8RYFLoe_w5EoEmibkaudNogf413k6nkxAK6n-QrJogrRqCxYlPP3YbaBIAvNK17JkpnC78KLtBrx5M4ZTut4Js68HFx4xhrjeQw-iYC871O3fYqUddIWzvZfpRG-TStFAX8YZylNKjOSIzFyb7g=w1369-h770-no

This represents literally one car from each BRM class...  We were down to just four racers at this point as Bill thought it more sporting to run the show and marshal than actually compete.  Monte was clearly the man to beat, running the field into the ground with his purple TA Camaro which was straight from the T24 last year.  By this time the track was super tacky and his sponge tires and purple motor were a lethal combination.  The rest of us took knives to his gunfight, and we all were searching through pit boxes between heats.  After eventually migrating to a Tacoma-spec Gp C car (black motor, weight kit, foam tires), I was able to reel him back in and finally get a lap on him by the end of the fourth heat.  It was a fairly epic battle (in my head at least) and quite a fun time.

In the end, the finishing order was:

1 - Chris 154
2 - Monte 153
3 - Al 143
4 - Mitch 132

All of this brings us full circle.  One more thanks goes out to Howie for lending us the facility for the day.  It's nice to have a different track to play on from time to time.  And the day couldn't be complete without the fine  folks at BRM producing the robust and gorgeous models which also run so well.  We race them every Odd Thursday, and they are a blast!

Chris

More pics here: https://goo.gl/photos/Lta7B5FRQ8kSc2S39

kidvolt wrote:

Chris, the forum does not have a poll but the main site does have that feature, we haven't used it for a while.

Maybe we just discuss it at the next Odd Thurs then?

Do we have a forum feature to have a poll?  Maybe would be better to start a separate thread with a poll or two:

1 - Lift the NSR ban? 
2 - Allow Thunderslots as class legal cars where applicable?

I am in favor of both, but that's what another thread would be better to discuss.  Maybe...

wb0s wrote:

I vote we lift the NSR ban at least for one class.

I would nominate the GT class.  These all look they'd fit in well enough there, and it's in the spirit of that being the least-regulated, most inclusive class we run:

http://www.nsrslot.it/index_models.html

Although, if you were feeling saucy, you could down-motor and little-tire one and theoretically be legal in Classics 2.  That would seem like a waste of $'s though in my opinion.

reek455 wrote:

I think we should ban them like NSR's or everyone is going to have to buy one.


Or... just throwing this out there... maybe it's time to lift the NSR ban?  They are available at Slot.It prices if you look hard enough and as has been said before, by the time we are tuning any of the other brands to run as well as they are these days, we probably have "NSR money" invested in them.

I have already come close to picking up a Thunderslot (but admit to not having done so yet) but already do own 3 or 4 NSR's.  I would love to be able to use them but also would enjoy getting a Slot.It to compete with them.

382

(306 replies, posted in NASTE)

That looks incredibly AWESOME!! 

Looking forward to seeing flames on it (painted, not seeing it actually burn).

383

(7 replies, posted in NASTE)

kidvolt wrote:

...do we just start looking at proxy rules and fit our classes to them?

Well...  That would be the $64,000 question.  I would be open to either but would advocate stand alone proxy classes instead of merging them.  The frame of reference I have is our F1 category.  Frankly, it's a nightmare.  We already have a Classics I and II division, which is manageable but dilutes the purity (if we can call anything NASTE does "pure").  I would like to see the classes (proxy or legacy) remain independent so we don't force anyone to rebuild their cars.  Why monkey with a good thing?

Let's discuss more...

384

(7 replies, posted in NASTE)

Disclaimer - I realize I am about to advocate the addition of classes to our Odd Thurs lineup, but the intention is to leverage the rulesets already on line and build and develop cars with which we can participate in the SCI and HRW proxies.  Some of these classes may fall within our current classes but I would advocate running them independently.  On with the proposal...



Before I became affiliated with you guys, I was a fairly active participant in the proxies on SCI.  I know most of you know what these are, but for those who don't, it amounts to building a race entry to a set of rules and then send it away to organizers who send it to some pre-arranged list of tracks (nationally, internationally, and globally) to be run by local hosts.  They are a fun way to compete when you don't have (or know about) neighbors who also play with toy cars.  I also think it's cool to have cars which have been to more countries than I have.

Proxies cover a wide spectrum of racing eras, and the rules spec out a variety of performance levels.  The diversity is such that there is probably something out there which everyone will find interesting.  Lately there has been some discussion on SCI about some proxies being more successful in generating interest and surviving.  I would like to take a step in the direction of supporting them and getting myself back into proxies, and I'd like to take you along.  Well, most of you...

There is one particular proxy which hits close to home- The Last Open Road.  Our own Mr Greenman runs that circus and I know that we have several NASTE members currently campaigning in that event.  I also heard Greg mention that this may be the last iteration of that circus, and I believe the concern was lack of interest/entries when faced with the effort of herding the kittens.  I would personally like to see this proxy continue but will certainly hold no ill will if it doesn't.

Another proxy popular with the NASTE crowd is the IPS.  This proxy seems fairly popular and healthy, and has a bit of highly-developed competition.  I've entered it before and gotten my butt whooped.  It was fun though and a good application of time and energy.

I can go on listing them- Carrera Scramble, SCITCC, Slot.It Shootout, The Can-Am Proxy, the Trans Am Proxy...  There's a bunch of them and you can see them all HERE (SCI's selection) or HERE (HRW's offerings)

My point is, there are many interesting proxies out there and I would bet that if we started running one(?) as a class, using the rules posted on line, and building class legal cars, we could improve our own car building skills, develop and tune some cars better, and lead to total NASTE domination of ALL proxies.

Or at least the one (or more) we pick to pursue.

All of which brings me back to my actual point.  Would anyone be interested in building a car (or more) to a proxy rule set(s) and racing that class(es) as a group?

What I might suggest are the IPS on SCI (2 current entries but previously fairly popular among some NASTE-ists; similar to our classics class) and the Ford-Porsche Proxy (4 NASTE entries planned, similar to our GT class but era- and marque-specific).

For those of you who have read this far through this post, thank you for your time and interest.  At this point I have belabored my case, now it's time for your input.

Thoughts?

Chris

385

(306 replies, posted in NASTE)

wb0s wrote:

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/img_4976.jpg


This is AWESOME!

386

(306 replies, posted in NASTE)

Looking forward to seeing it in white and red!

reek455 wrote:

I would also like to thank everyone who came out to help with the proxy, your contributions are invaluable.

Rico


I would like to thank you for having us over!  It was fun to run the proxy, except for Tony's car, and it's nice to run some of my favorite classes just for fun and not the point series.

Thanks!

CK

388

(69 replies, posted in Events)

wb0s wrote:

One note in regards to Howie's power supply for Rapid Raceway. He uses a large commercial track type of power supply instead of a car battery and charger.


...and fixed!!

I thought at one point, someone (you) told me it was battery and charger.  My bad.

389

(69 replies, posted in Events)

SCI invite is UP!

http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/porta … ost1014868

390

(69 replies, posted in Events)

Oooh....  No there isn't.  I hadn't thought much about actively promoting it outside of our sandbox.

What's Howie's voltage?  Track length?  Timing system?

I'll throw something up on SCI and see what flies it might attract.

391

(69 replies, posted in Events)

There are now rules for the Classics and GT's in addition to the Group C which has been up for quite some time.

There will be races for all three classes on the 24th, bring what you've got and we'll see how the fields stack up.  We will have the Trans Am cars there as well for IROC'ing as well.  Basically, if you have any BRM's, bring them and we'll race them!

Chris

392

(2 replies, posted in Cars)

For those who weren't in on the conversation which Monte and I had Thurs evening, the answer is "YES!!"  This car is every bit legal for the June 24th race we are planning.

It's also $10 cheaper than the undecorated white kit.

http://www.132slotcar.us/store/product_ … ts_id=9432

The rules for the race are posted here under Class 10: http://naste.org/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=3876#p3876

Even though they are "just toy cars...", I am very happy and proud to have pulled off the championship.  I thoroughly enjoy the seriously fun time we have doing this.  I love the competition, and it's impressive that it's matched with just as much camaraderie.  I think that's what keeps me coming back.  If it wasn't fun, we wouldn't be doing it, right?

So thanks to all those who did make me work for it, especially Doc, who took it all the way to the wire.  I love doing this every Odd Thursday, championship or not, and look forward to what next year brings!

And to Bill, thanks for organizing the circus and keeping things on track!  And to Al (and Bill again too), thanks for having us over hosting our Odd Thursdays.

Game on!
Chris

394

(2 replies, posted in Cars)

If you may have been thinking about getting a BRM classic but were put off by the $170 price tag, you may find this new offering appealing.  I don't know why, but it's $30 cheaper:

http://www.132slotcar.us/store/product_ … ts_id=9432

http://www.132slotcar.us/store/images/BRM063_Porsche_917K_LeMans_1971_22_1.jpg

I have had the task of submitting a set of NASTE rules to Bill for much longer than I care to acknowledge.  We WILL start running them as a group, someday...

CK

wb0s wrote:

I'm currently in seventh and I would sure like a top 5 finish in the series...

With *your* math skills, Bill, I'm certain that won't be a problem!

396

(3 replies, posted in Cars)

I must need to adjust my monitor...  The car does appear white but the stripe looks green instead of red.  Need to check my graphics card I guess.

Other than that, looks great Monte.

kidvolt wrote:

Sure like to see that.

Maybe with a lengthy trailer tongue/hitch extension?  Sure hate to see that pretty white paint get charred.

wb0s wrote:

The last of the TooBad Motorplex track packed up and ready to go..............to the dump..........

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/img_4958.jpg


All I see is a pile of firewood and a jug of gasoline.  Are you sure that crap's going to the dump?

399

(306 replies, posted in NASTE)

Upon further inspection post-testing, noticed that I've started a bug collection:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/5fK63TzIW_eakmHXSw7k9GA8cAKkz4pFWg4M9PlhEWdcvHQ9VD0yqYPN960rx8Gf1d1XPgmw961wXtO77o1onkqB-vtWLsUK7UOB-JG0xlpQkryHiOw10B_NMjR0JBbt2aaA7S0SAcWTxZoQatRRJS25cewve1I7sBtLO7Ay7FEYbrDjpNfAktBKC6m1ZbGeiKQcdgugEK_SIzxJvg_6qbnmTeM7qEVkQTKyEleGLYGqWAndVPDnfJ5sEV7GIhWRhIGziMWHCzDNttHFjoKNhwE5UHYVOhF0DRL3axE6MVJCK0eyV7TNcIJ6jGhu6M6cxUJG7OqREBd1hQjmG26i773GphLkgEUK3KNgistPvH_4KUwUgO6P6-r_yHq3NMkuLscRcibPqhQrgiZw7SE1cG3vlELWI_DF_o-80tq2rqqbC5hIwBkihFsw2HmP23TpwLVGgbQil6gL-vMGluV4-RLuBoNPiBnXHyNxhvBZlfyUmQSf5EJBAjStH10HSLjAhTGTK8tNVCgPf-V1nHzqAJNpr_yf6HFJ-wh6e-lnyEcTVpU0huQUZDYJKG0aM0HylTlmUaS3NXHl_LZaXRAA_XCnavL2j66PhSOMMM0HhetJyGJxQY5Y1C9hWIxDQVLQgh7kMR1IRZqxC4faJS2Zjt7YcfJxGgLV-d6vaPEHTjc=w1690-h950-no

Pretty wild.  50-something feels pretty damn fast!

400

(8 replies, posted in Events)

July 15th with other support races as well.  Anyone interested?

From SCI:

http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/porta … ost1012505

Scaleracing 12 hours of Tacoma featuring Scaleauto GT2/3 cars on Saturday July 15th 2017
This race will be run with hand out SC-0026 motors. Tires will be SC-2521.
Tires must be clearly identifiable as that tire prior to starting the race. All cars will run by the Scaleracing Scaleauto Rules.
Entry for the 12 Hour Event Saturday includes racing Friday night and Sunday.
We will race 1:32 scale Scaleauto GT2/3 cars as a class. Also Scaleracing LMP Open 1:32.
Plus a BRM Trans Am sprint race.

I have a car or two to go around if needed.  Unfortunately, I will likely not be able to attend due to coverage issues at work but will be trying to work something out.

CK