Topic: Speed Secrets of the Insanely Fast

Since we've been running the summer Slot.It class at the Beaverton Slot Car Club I've been mildly successful with a certain red car - the Slot.It Ferrari 312 PB.  It was generally available as a kit and well worth the money as it has a characteristic that allows it to best the McLaren's, Audi's, Nissan's and Porsches: the shorter wheelbase.

http://www.naste.org/news_images/Ferrari-2.jpg

Bill Bostic put it to me as probably the best car to run because the shorter wheelbase would be an advantage in the corners and he was quite right.  With pretty much the same setup in either car I found that my McLaren felt like it was always running on the edge and needing my constant attention where the Ferrari is just a dream to drive.

So let's keep an even playing field.  Here's all my "speed secrets" for getting the Ferrari slicin' and dicin' including the list of parts that were replaced or added:

Motor
The stock motor is the SIMF06, better known as the orange end bell.  This was changed after one race to the yellow end bell (SIMF07) for two races followed by the NEW red end bell (SIMF10) just prior to the last race.  Both the yellow and red motors are considerable upgrades over the stock orange.  The key issue being the Wattage rating which allows each to have more pure power.  Where this really matters is in keeping the car moving against the pull of the magnets.

I also oil the motor, gears and bushings after 4 heats if possible, and after every race just for good measures.  I also clean my braids after each race event.  No sense not getting a good electrical connection.  The Parma Braid Cleaner works great for this.

Motor Pod
The original sidewinder pod was swapped out for the offset version (SICH25).  This lowers the car fractionally which improves the handling.  I also think the sidewinder is a better driving car then an inline version.  The gears operate more efficiently but there are fewer ratio choices.  The pod was scraped a little to remove the edge and give it just a tad of extra free play in the "socket".

Gears
The stock gears are 10:34 I think.  I have moved mine to 11:32 and find it quite favorable.  The car is exceptionally quick this way.  The experiment with a 13T pinion was dismal regardless of the spur gear.

Magnetic Rear Suspension
I may be crazy here but I credit this bit (SICH09) with really settling the car down.  I have it set to the maximum that will still get both nuts on and my front pod screws are probably looser than yours.  Also, you'll want to take a drill and just slightly increase the size of the rear pod holes so the screws for the suspension won't bind on the threads while trying to slide up and down.

Magnets
Heavy magnet racing requires heavy magnets but what is best to do with them and how many?  I have the barbell race magnet (SICN04) located in the rear position and a standard magnet in the front position.  Both are placed upside down from normal.  Hopefully, not too much down force, rather just enough.  Weight was initially added to the front corners to increase stability but has since been removed.

The result of all this has been that my car is not only faster than yours, it's also easier to drive.  And THAT is a powerful combination.

Oh, I forgot to mention it also had the mysterious "silver sharpie" treatment prior to the last race.  That probably added at least another lap or two.

--
the Big Smooth

"Big Smooth"

Re: Speed Secrets of the Insanely Fast

Nice job on your Ferrari build! Great info! The secrets are out, everybody should be up to speed by the next race!!!  ----------Bill

Monte, I'm glad you brought the short wheelbase topic up. Let's start some discussion here. That seems to be one thing I am good at. I've  heard some guys say "the longer wheelbase is better for a fast track with sweeping type turns". I believe that, and I know it is true for 1/24 as well. BUT, personally I have never seen a 1/32 plastic sectional track (in person or in photos) that had more than 1 or 2 sweeping type turns (excluding banked turns. That's a whole different critter!). Come on, it's plastic sectional track, they're ALL tighter turns!!!! A fast sweeping turn would require 8 really BIG pieces, each of which would not fit in a small to medium size box. Marketing taboo!!! When you talk about a fast sweeping turn in 1/24 scale it is a very large radius turn, definitely in excess of a 3 foot radius. Viewed as a complete circle that would be a turn in excess of 6 feet wide. I know this as fact because I had a 1/24 routed track with turns that were 2 foot radius. They were pretty tight corners in 1/24 scale racing. The 6 lane track I presently have does have some sweeping type turns (ok, granted in my opinion), but only two. The smallest of the two, I consider only the 2 outside lanes to really be fast sweeping turns. That 5th lane out is roughly 7 feet in diameter, or approximately a 3.5 foot radius. Slot cars are instruments of physics and geometry. I'm not by any means a scientist, mathmatician, or engineer, but I have done a lot of experimenting with slot car chassis and motors in all the scales. What I do know is a long wheelbase 1/24 car (we'll use a 4.5 inch wheelbase as long wheelbase), gets around that lane 5 corner pretty well. Granted other factors weigh into the cars handling, but compared to a 4 inch chassis the 4.5 inch chassis are less twitchy. So if the theory of "a long wheelbase works best on a course with fast sweeping turns" is true, one of the factors must be; chassis wheelbase in relationship to turn radius (if all turns are flat and equal). In this case the the turn radius to chassis wheelbase ratio is 18.66 to 1. So, you show me a 1/32 plastic sectional track with a turn that has a 2.5 foot radius turn (that would be a 180 degree turn with a 5 foot diameter) and I'll show you a fast sweeping 1/32 scale turn (might be able to do it with Carrera track? Glenn?) where a longer wheelbase car may have an advantage. Now if that course only has one of those corners and the rest are tighter, I'll still stick with the short wheelbase car........So hey, this is just my point of view.......But then again, I challenge anyone to show me even a photo of a plastic sectional track where a longer wheelbase car would have an advantage!

I was a witness to the wicked speed of Monte's Ferrari and mine will soon have similiar mods.  I have also built a car with a HRS2 chassis and thought I might try to share some pics but I'm not quite sure how to add them if some one could guide me.

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

Rico, I'm sure Monte can help you out there! Looking forward to seeing some photos!  ---------------------Bill

Hey there...

Its been lots of summer activities for me... time is slim

Anyway..

Carerra curves have a CL radius (inner is 2" tighter and outer is 2" looser) of:
R1 - 12" (24"D)
R2 - 20" (40"D)
R3 - 28" (56"D)
R4 - 36" (72"D)

A R4 turn is over 6.5' in diameter and van be "paved" to 7.5' with boarders.
I agree with Bill, that while excluding perhaps some Carerra (R3 and R4) curves, plastic sectional does not really qualify in the "wide sweeping turns" category.

This could explain my some of my challanges on Scaley track....
G