Topic: Scenery tip

Last night I purchased a string of LED icicle lights at Target. I had purchased a number of strings at Costco a couple of weeks earlier but found that I was short one strand. Unfortunately, Costco was sold out so I stopped at the neighboring Target. The ones at Target were made by Philips while the ones from Costco were made by GE. The GE ones were not as bright and more of a warm white or yellow color tone. The Philips ones were cool or bright white.

This made me think. A strand of 70 lights costs $14.99 at Target. That's about $0.21 per LED. Way cheaper than buying high-intensity LEDs from an electronics store. So if you want to add lights to your slot car, or need to replace burnt out lights you can use these LEDs.

But the other application I thought of is track lighting. A strand of 70 lights runs on 120Vac so all you have to do is extend the wires to each light with some smaller gauge wire (you run a next to nothing current through it), run them through a bendable drinking straw. Paint the straw gray or black and glue them next to the track. You can cover lots of track this way and all you have to do is plug them in an outlet.

George

--
"Get the shotgun, Martha. The herd needs a thinnin'." - Bucky Katt

Re: Scenery tip

Do you think they would be bright enough to provide sufficient light?  George, we need a demo!  With pictures.

"Big Smooth"

Sure Monte, with two kids, a new cat and a trip to see the family for Thanksgiving I have TONS of time to do this. I just provided a concept. But I will plug in the string of icicle lights tonight and snap a picture. Not sure when I will have time to upload it. ;-)

Anyways, perhaps the sturdier Plastistruct tubes will work better than a flimsy drinking straw.

George

--

Yes, these lights are BRIGHT. They are similar to the ones Howie used in his turn lights. But those were battery operated.

George

--

Sorry, George.  I had no idea about the cat.  Have a nice holiday and thanks for the info.  Sounds promising.

"Big Smooth"

Throw in 3 more kids, 15 rental units, a cat and everyone coming to my house for Thanksgiving.  Are we having fun yet?

Rico

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

15 rental units???

Who are you? Rico the Slum Lord? Do you have relatives back in Jersey? ;-)

Happy holidays everyone.

I'll pick up some more lights and start fidgeting as soon as I can. I think I can whip up a proof of concept before Christmas.

George

--

Slum is in the eye of the beholder!!!   They belong to my widowed mother and my brother and I do all the work for her.  There are three buildings with 15 apartments, an 8 plex, a 4 plex and a 3 plex and all a quite nice if I say so myself.

Slum Lord

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.