Topic: Slot.it woes

Rico wrote:

Bill- I took the McLaren motor apart when I got home. There is excessive side to side movement in the end bell bushing which is causing the crown gear to wear. I checked the play on the motor in the green car and it seems excessive to me also. I wonder if there is a quality control issue at play. The Mclaren has been run pretty hard but the HRS car has not been run too much. Any ideas?
Rico

Bill replied:

I think you're probably right on the mark with the quality issue. These motors seem to be pretty cheap to me. They are just a throw away motor so I would imagine quality is not high on the manufacturers list. When you compare them to say a 16D motor the quality difference is obvious. I suppose you could replace the bushings in the motor, but to be honest with you I've never even split the can on one of the 1/32 car motors, so I don't really know first hand how serviceable they are. I was talking to Frank last night about the motors and he said they look a lot like any of the cheap inexpensive toy motors inside. I'd be willing to bet you could find some inexpensive (maybe even battery type) motors you could use as parts donors. It seems a shame these motors are up to $18 and they're not even serviceable, or have the ability for easy parts replacement!  --------------------Bill

Monte replied:

It

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

Re: Slot.it woes

Monte has a good point. We're running these motors awfully hot with the excessive downforce we are using at Randy's!

Rico (and everybody else),

I'm placing an order for a couple of these cheap motors to have as spares for my Carrera Vintage Stock Cars (Carrera spares are pretty hard to get I found) and a couple of Fly cars I have. It appears that these motors will fit the Slot-It cars as well. I know this violates the rules of the Slot-It class but if you switch your Slot-It motors around for the remaining races you can use these ones for when the Slot-It class is all over and done with.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SCALEXTRIC-FLY-CARR … 18Q2el1247

Also, for those frequenting in the Hillsboro area, Gizmo Surplus on Cornelius Pass Road (north of Hwy 26) has some 12v toy motors that seem to be standard Mabuchi size. I have no idea of their speed and torque though. They could be dogs for all I know.

George

--
"Get the shotgun, Martha. The herd needs a thinnin'." - Bucky Katt

Oh, since it goes SO without saying, I forgot to mention that if you want to get a couple of those motors you can let me know and I'll add some for you so you can save on shipping.

George

--

Hey George, I didn't read your second posting before I got all excited and purchased four of those motors.....oh well, I guess the $7 for shipping won't kill me...... Thanks for the tip! Even with the shipping that's a good deal!  -------------------------Bill

George-  I have those motors on ebay before and have often wondered how good they might be.  I guess it's time to find out, put me in for two and let me know what the damage is.
Rico

Hey guys, that's six for sure in our hands.........I feel a class coming on!   ---------Bill

Bill- AJ found the chassis to put them in.  Go to the BWA site www.bwaslotcars.com and click on the link named articles.  Now we just need to agree on the bodies
Rico

Rico, yours are on order. I have been bidding on more from this seller (probably way more than I should have). I'll cut myself off by this weekend. Shipping is free by now as I've crossed the magic threshold... You can pay me $10 next time at Randy's.

Anybody else who is interested better get their orders to me before the weekend.

George

--

Rico, The popsicle stick chassis? I like it! I have a bunch of cheap Eldon and Strombecker bodies we could use....  ----------Bill

That's the one.....I forgot to mention that part.  Can you say cheap racing.  AJ is trying to build one for the little Ferrari 166 he has, should be interesting

Personally, I prefer styrene but the process is about the same.  I used graph paper with little squares and then taped the chassis to the paper to help align things.  For those of you with jigs, that part will be much easier. I'd be up for a builders series of styrene or popsicle cars.  Autumn Hills is the perfect track for such cars.  Would be interesting to see which technology is better.  Ok, so "technology" may be pushing the envelope a bit there.  wink  I'm not sure but 25k may be too much motor and might tend to separate the car.  Then again, if you use JB Weld, probably a falcon is ok.

"Big Smooth"

Styrene doesn't give you splinters!...........But with the sticks you get to eat the popsicle while you plan your car!  -------Bill

Now if you could make the body out of that popsicle wrapper...

"Big Smooth"

I wonder if you could just lick the parts and have them stick to the popsicle.  You know, like your tongue to cold metal.  It might work, if the temp was cold enough
Rico

Now this is what I'm talkin' about
http://www.naste.org/members/rico/Dsc00162.jpg
http://www.naste.org/members/rico/Dsc00160-1.jpg

Got my $4.99 motors today. Haven't installed one in a car, just bench tested one. Draws .25 amp at initial start up at 12 volts. Current draw is negligible when it is up to speed, and it winds up instantly. Seems to have good torque and quick response. The motor is very well vented, much better than the Slot.It motors! It also has a very good inspection "window" in the endbell allowing you to view the brushes and spring/arms. Interesting how the brushes are installed on the arms. I've seen this before and can't help to wonder if it's a mistake?!  --------------------------Bill

How do you test/measure torque? What 'mistake' are you talking about when it comes to the mounting of the brushes?

George

--

I don't have any way of measuring torque. I just watch the current draw while I "ramp up" the motor. It's not very accurate but it gives a little info. If you look at the end of the brushes the concave end is turned 90 degrees to the commutator, which has the brushes contacting the commutator on the tips versus the concave surface. I have seen them installed that way on inexpensive motors before. So I was just wondering if it is a mistake? It looks like it. I'm thinking there would probably be less drag, but it seems to me the commutator and brushes would wear more rapidly. Oh well I'm pretty sure in China where they're built they really don't care one way or another!  ---------------------Bill

I have seen that before just recently. From memory I want to say it was on my yellow Slot-It motor. As far as I can remember that is the only motor I've looked at recently.

George

--

21 (edited by reek455 September 9, 2008 7:39 am)

George- Dave Kennedy Jr. has several articles on Slot Car Illustrated on how torque is measured. These are located in the forum section. Basically it is just attaching an arm to a motor and using a digital scale measuring the amount of force generated and plugging figure into a mathmatical equation.
Rico

Bill- Do the brushes have a concave area where you would expect them to make contact?  If they do can/should this be corrected?  Would the motor run better?
Rico

Rico, Yes the brushes do have a concave area on the ends where it appears they should make contact with the commutator. Instead of the concave area running parallel to the commutator it is perpendicular. It seems to me you would have more surface area and better contact if the brushes were installed with the concave area contacting the commutator (one large contact point - versus two small contact point on each brush). When you install the brushes on 16D motors you install them with the brush concave area parallel to the commutator. Then you run the motor at low RPM to seat the brushes properly. It also seems the way these motors come from the factory the commutators will wear more rapidly with two grooves developing. The Radio Shack motor brushes are installed in a skewed manner also.  ----------------------Bill

I have not tried to correct the installation. The motors are cheap enough I've never felt it was worth the effort.......  ------Bill

If I'm skulling this they just really need to be rotated 90 degrees to fit the commutator in a more proper manner. I guess for the price, as long as they run.......
Rico