Re: New Track Under Construction at TooBad Motorplex in Fairview

Got the first coat of primer on today.   ------------Bill

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/10021006.jpg

Lookin goooood Bill

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

Thanks Rico!!!!

A very big Thank You to Len Gillean and Dave Smith for all the help on my track today!!!!   -----------------------Bill

It's good to see you water blasted the concrete before the pic Bill.

Another car left out in the drive way to make way for a track smile

What is the red car in the pic BTW

It's a couple of weeks since the last pick. What have you been doing? smile

Cheers all

Hey Mel,

You can see in the photo how my wife appreciates her car being left outside for track work! And the fact she felt there was too much saw dust in the driveway..........she blasted the driveway!!!

The red car is a 2002 Ford Thunderbird. They brought them back for a 4 year production run.

I got some work done on the track last Saturday with help from my friends Dave Smith And Len Gillean. Not enough to warrant updated photos. I have a couple extra days off from work this week, so hopefully I can get some more work in soon. The track is almost ready for paint. As soon as I get some work done that shows some improvement I'll get some new photos posted.

It's good to have work to pay the bills, but it sure gets in the way of what I want to get done!!!   -----------------------------------------Bill

Update.............still at it off & on...........when I can make time...........

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG0422.jpg

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG0421.jpg

Awesome!  Is that a cardboard covered wall that I see?

"Big Smooth"

I'm using cardboard to make some patterns. I transfer the shape onto the white covered fiberboard to make the retailing walls, and the raised "concrete sidewalk" type pieces under the overpass.

I updated the photo gallery of my track build. Take a look under "Slot-Tech", and click on the "NEW Routed Track at TooBad Motorplex". I added about 30 photos to bring everyone up to speed on my progress.

Setting aside time to work on my track is my biggest challenge anymore. I have decided to rough in the scenery work before I paint the surface, tape and wire the track. Unfortunately this delays the racing, but I think it will be worth it in the end....................

This is a big project, and I am in no hurry.    ---------------------Bill

Looking great.  That's an amazing tutorial on track building.  I spent yesterday moving 5 yards of mulch.

"Big Smooth"

Thanks Monte.

Mulch huh...........Since you're experienced, wanna help me finish spreading what's left of the bark dust I have in my trailer???

-------------------Bill

Oh sure.  Have shovel, will travel.

"Big Smooth"

Wow, you've been a busy boy and it looks to be a real challenge.  How many feet is that bad boy? I know you are not in a hurry but will it be ready for a NASTE race next season?

Rico

Busy when I get a chance to get out there on it, busy with other stuff when I don't!

Lap lengths are; 84 feet 7 1/4 inches, 84 feet 7 7/8 inches, and 84 feet 8 1/4 inches...........

I'm hoping to have a running track by November................

Got a little more plasterin' done..................

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG0446.jpg

Now it's starting to make a little more sense.  What are you going to do with that big gap in the upper section?

"Big Smooth"

More plasterin'....................but there will be two removable pieces to allow for turn marshals on the inside of the upper turns.................that's the current plan anyway..................

Keep up the good work Bill, looking good.

Rico

Update.................

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_0502.jpg

Hi from Salem,
The track is looking very cool and while still new to the hobby, is this possibly the longest build ever???
If the bondo repairs are what's hanging it up - I have an idea for a heat chamber that might help - lol
Anyway wanted say hi and looking forward to running on this beast. Are you still saying November for completion?
All the best,
Jack

Hey Jack, Longest build ever?...................probably not for me! Only thing holding it up is my available time to commit to this project. Too much other B.S. (like work!). Actually the Bondo parts go really quick, even without your heat chamber!!! Hoping to have it up and running by November.  I probably won't have it completely done...............actually it may never be completely done!!!!   ---------Bill

Maybe some clarification is in order.....
From the onset this track building project was never an endeavor to get 'er done as quick as I can, with the goal of racing on it as soon as possible. I started this track with the enjoyment of the build being the goal. I do not typically start a project with a defined plan, whether it be building a car or a track. This project is no different. I am trying different build methods, designs, and materials, some of which I have not experimented with before. I started with an idea in my head, and have adjusted, changed, and re-designed as I have gone along. Although it has been an enjoyable process it has added additional time and work to the project. I know from an onlookers persepective the question may be "what is taking so long?" From my perspective I'm just having a good time. This is a big track and I'm building it for me, the way I want it, and built as well as I can possibly build it - with no regrets, and nothing I want to re-do at a later date. I have ideas for scenery and details, but I have no plans I'm working off of, so it's just kinda "here's where I'm at, now how do I make this work?" Again it's fun, but also challenging and time consuming to design as you go. At this point in the build I want to get the basic scenery structure completed before I have the track up and running. I don't want to be crawling all over the completed track surface trying to do basic construction work and plastering. Once the track is in operation I just want to be able to work on the scenery details as I have time, with the major construction all completed. So in a nut shell am I slow? YUP, but I'm having a good time with it!   --------------------Bill

Enjoyment of the process should be the first order of business.  It's the only way it will get finished correctly.  That process has never worked well for me since I'm always in a hurry but I understand the benefits.

"Big Smooth"