Topic: What next?

Hello all,

Thinking of the next season around the bend I was wondering what opinions people had on what the next class would be.  Specifically too, like for example: any slot.it car with an inline chassis, silicone tires, one stock magnet, and only the 21,500rpm motor.  The gearing, adding weight, and various interiors could be played with and the power would be turned down to around 12 volts.

That is just one idea for a class I have since we all pretty much have the cars, but may want to slow things down a little.

What are your ideas?!

<--Individualism-->

Re: What next?

Hello me!

I just thought of another class that would be interesting.

We could run Ninco Japanese GT cars and leave them stock, but put silicone tires on them.  There are lots of cars, and all the chassis look nearly identical.

<--Individualism-->

I like your ideas Byron. How about you throw a couple cars together and try them out?  Some of the other racers could also build some different types of cars to try out. At your remaining summer season races different types of cars could be tested, and the other racers could try them as well. It's hard to put together a class of car without actually testing them out. Experiment, then build your class rules on what you like and what works well.    ------------------Bill

I also like the sounds of that.  Try out a few different cars and get some feedback thisway.. Maybe workout some bugs before the class starts up...Excellent  big_smile

"Due to economic cutbacks,the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off"

Byron- I checked out a few of the more popular online hobby stores and I don't see any Ninco Japanese Touring cars for sale.  Is BSCC thinking of supplying a spec car series (IROC)? I don't know if you've had a chance to check out some of the other posts, but you might want to take a look at the one titled BSCC Poll.  I like the idea of a GT/Touring class.  What about a class of no particular brand but with a break out time?  This would give everyone a chance to run their favorite brand and still level out the any major performance differences and definitely would bring out some more variety instead of the "Ferrari class" that the Slot.it series ended up being.  One additional thought, is that some modification should be allowed in the intrest of reliability. For example, allowing the use of aluminum wheels (at least on the rear) and maybe upgraded bushings.  Slot.it makes rear axle upgrades for most of the popular brands.  This is what I've done to my Scaley Aston resulting in no more repairs to gears and wheels in quite a few laps around the track.  Anyway, just some more ideas to kick around.

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

And Frank is working on a IROC class of cars.  So that may be a possibility if it shakes out for the next season too.
Racin' Randy

Well the Japanese GT cars I was thinking about are like the Nissan 350Z and the Lexus SC430.  We have a few Toyota Supra's too.  Look at this page for those cars.

http://www.fantasyworldhobbies.com/cata … 91_121_122

I wasn't thinking of doing an IROC class with these because I don't think they are built to take abuse for a whole season.  Also I think some people like the idea of having their own car to race.  They can then paint it or do subtle things with it.

Another question to anyone:
Would you prefer an IROC season, or having your own car to run?

<--Individualism-->

I do like the Japanese GT series idea, either personal cars or IROC. I also would like to see what Frank will come up with. I just finished detailing the interior of my Saleen body that I will provide for this home-built class. I also would like a Scalextric Dodge Viper / TVR Tuscan class. There's quite a few different liveries available in those and if mixed and matched those cars seem quite comparable. Even at 12V they should run well.

The good thing about IROC is that you will know it's not the car that prevented you from winning....

On the other hand, if you run IROC every club night you must have a number of backup cars available in case a car crashes and breaks. I suppose we would need to start collecting dues to pay for a full set of cars, backup cars, and parts. I don't know if I just opened the proverbial can (or would van be more appropriate since we're talking cars) of worms. If we ALL have to pay, say $20 for the cars for one season, how would people that show up infrequently feel about this? I would probably pay it, but others may not see it that way. Would you charge the infrequent racers $5 per night (perhaps to a $30 maximum) they show up for the use of the cars?

Just some thoughts...

George

--
"Get the shotgun, Martha. The herd needs a thinnin'." - Bucky Katt

Don't know at the fees at this time.   Have to see what Frank comes up with first.  Then poll the members.  If we had to pay like you said say $20 that is a lot cheaper than buying a car for a season.
Racin' Randy

I still like the Scalextric GT/Touring car idea, which would not exclude the Japanese GT's per se. Are they sidewinder, inline or front mounted motors?  George- are the Vipers front motor like the TVR? If they are you could add the Scaley Corvette into the mix as well.  I'm pretty sure there are white Viper kits, the TVR has 4-5 liveries but are kind of hard to find, and the Corvette has several examples.  The front motor cars are fun to run and handle differently than sidewinders or inlines. (i.e more loose)  Depending on speed differential, the Fly Lister Storm & Marcos might also fit in and there are a bunch of versions of those.  Front motor might be the way to go.

Yes, they have front mounted motors. I thought about the Lister Storm and Marcos (does the Fly Corvette have the motor in front?) but I thought the Fly cars were WAY too fast in comparison. Randy now has a nifty speed checker so if we can come up with a workable plan we may be able to set gear ratio and magnet limits for the two brands of cars to make them more or less equal.

Another difference between the Fly and Scalextric cars is that the Scalextric cars all come with lights which could open up another bucket of fun for dawn/dusk racing...

George

--

12 (edited by f250lusso August 11, 2008 11:22 am)

why dont we run scalextric trans-am cars? they're easy to get, theres lots of different liveries, and even a few white ones here and there. i think camaros, mustangs, and the L88 corvettes would be a fairly even running class

http://www.electricdreams.com/Shop/scal … _8_83.html

http://www.electricdreams.com/Shop/scal … _8_81.html

heres links to look at

We can try them against each other at the next race.  I have a TVR, Lister and a Scaley Corvette.  The TVR and the Lister have silicon tires.  I'll see if I can find something for the Vette.  It looks like the Fly Vettes are front motor also.  Both brands have stock 18K motors and should have similiar speed but I've never compared lap times.
Rico

AJ,

The TransAm is fine with me, ONLY if this Mustang is allowed in the class.

http://www.scalextric-usa.com/index.php … ENT_ID=911

And I have first dibbs on this one, I don't want us all racing the same car.... ;-)

George

--

i dont know if thats faster than the older ones, but if they're about the same speed i have no problems with it. it would at least sorta blend in though. i like this car personally

http://www.scalextric-usa.com/index.php … NT_ID=1275

i think the trans-am cars would make a good class though

Any car that moves well along the track would make a good class in my opinion. We could even do a Classic F1 class. Would be hard to keep those on the track since most of us are magnet boys though....

Still I wouldn't write off the Japanese GT cars. I've seen some great looking cars there.

George

--

the only problems with the ninco JGT cars is theres little variety, and they are a little hefty on the price scale from what ive seen. if they run well though i wouldnt care, but i'm really fooking for cheap car that could still run. i think the stock slot it sounds good too, but would you still allow hrs based cars?

Back to your question Rico,  the Jap GT cars are all anglewinder setups.  We can bring out some at the next race or free race to play with and test out.

I think it would be a good idea to bring out whatever out you want to try for a class idea.  This way everyone else in the club can also see how they like the cars.
    I know Frank is working on his cars, which may not all be built for a while though.  But he does have one that I ran, and it was really nice.  Really smooth.

<--Individualism-->

One thing we need to keep in mind is being able to fix what breaks.  For example a Scaley car of three years ago would be a poor choice since they only support their products for two years.  So it either has to be a current product or something that we will allow after market parts to be used on. 
And then we'll all have to agree on what can be updated and with what...

"Big Smooth"

After the race last night, I got to test out Frank's car he made.  It was a modified International 32.  It handled really nice, and it seemed like a tough car.  I like the idea of an IROC series, and Frank's car looks like the best thing we have. 

Some people might have seen the Ninco Toyota Supra I brought out.  That is the ideal Japanese GT car I was thinking of.  It's handling was much less than the Slot.it cars, and was a shock to drive at first.  I think the car really needed silicone tires.  But other than that the car seemed nice. 

But just the idea of an IROC series (no prepping cars, no buying cars or parts, total skill-vs-skill competition) will be a nice break from previous classes that have been run so far. 

just my thoughts

<--Individualism-->

Scalextric makes a series of JGTC cars, some of which can even be purchased around town.

http://www.scalextric.com/search.html?q … sion-L-293

There's even a yellow Skyline available at FWH.

http://www.fantasyworldhobbies.com/cata … ts_id=4347

As far as I know all of these feature sidewinder drive and Scalectrix Magnatraction. Some even have head and tail lights, some don't.

I picked up the blue Nissan Skyline at the Wilsonville Hobbytown USA for $34.99. They also had the red one on the shelf.

[clarification] I am NOT opposed to Frank's IROC cars (I gave my Artin Saleen body to him last night), I am just providing more info/options with this post.

George

--

I ran also ran Frank's car and I must say it was way different from what we are running and yet it was challenging and fun.  Four of them on the track would definitely be wild and wooly.  It was fun to hang the tail out around the curves, easily done, but quite controllable and it had decent power. I also witnessed the running of the Ninco and I can't say I was impressed much. Slow and not much grip.
That's all for now folks.................

I have another unused Saleen body that's still in "stock" shape that I can offer up if needed.  How many does Frank have now?

"Big Smooth"

I wanna race Monte's TCONY cars!!!!  ---------------------Bill

I saw the email from Randy with the news about the IROC series for the winter season at BSCC.  I have become an infrequent racer at BSCC and I realize I probably don't have a good feel for the group, however it seems to me the racers I see at BSCC seem to have an interest in racing their own cars on the larger Marshall Field track.  The cost for the IROC series is too high for me as an infrequent racer. It seems to me it will also discourage new racers who may be interested in racing after the season begins. After promoting IROC races I have found they work well to attract new racers who have not raced slot cars before, or racers who race other types or scales of cars. Slot car IROC races serve well as introductions to other possibilities. Experienced racers tend to like to race their own cars because they like to build and tune as well as race (pride of ownership maybe). As far as equal competition I don't see IROC as being the ultimate answer. I've promoted and raced conventional races as well as IROC races and I have not seen any dramatic shuffles in the finish positions. The fast guys still win in either format. Racers become better racers by running the same equipment (cars & controllers). Being familiar with your equipment, thus eliminating variables, is a better way of improving your skills. As far as equal equipment that's what the rules need to ensure. Well defined simple rules, and a good technical inspection can provide for parity of equipment. Incentives such as a "claiming" rule, drawing motors from a pool, or even lap time "brackets" can equalize equipment performance. Don't get me wrong, I think IROC races are fun. But for the BSCC group I'm not sure a whole season of racing the same cars on the same track is the answer. It sure was not the hot topic for most of the posts here.  ---------------------------------Bill