Topic: Racing at BSCC with "Fuel Management"

Last night I participated in a Slot.It class race at Beaverton Slot Car Club's Marshall Field. The race was for the Slot.It class cars. Man, these guys are FAST!!! There was lots of action with some extremely fast cars and great drivers. It was a fun night of racing!

At Marshall Field a computerized lap counting system is used to run the races. The races consist of four heat races, one in each lane, each heat race lasting under 3 minutes. A "fuel management system" is used which basically simulates fuel usage of your car as you race. At some point you run out of fuel and you must pit to re-fuel. I've raced with this type of fuel management system before, in a team enduro type of race. Some will say it adds realism to the slot racing. In my opinion the fuel management system has no place in short "sprint" type heat races. Heat races of 3 minutes or less are not long enough for pit stops to be of any value to the racing. As far as adding realism I disagree. In real racing the driver does nothing but DRIVE. Someone on his pit crew TELLS him when it's time to pit. The driver does not monitor fuel. If the car starts to run out of fuel, he pits. If someone tells him to, he pits. A slot car racer can not effectively monitor anything but his car during a race (especially cars like the Sloi.It high magnetic force cars, things happen WAY TOO FAST!). It's not like you're sitting in the car and you can glance at a fuel gauge without taking your eyes off the road. It doesn't matter how many monitors you have located around the track, its just not practical. In a team enduro type race, a teammate monitors the cars fuel level and tells you when its time to pit. It works well in TEAM strategy and driver changes. In the race I attended last night I saw at least 3 racers lose laps because they needed to pit and didn't realize it (Bryan, Tim, and Rico). My feeling is it doesn't make the slot racing any more realistic. All it does is move slot car racing closer to a board game activity.....................Ever play the board game "Sorry"?  ------------------Bill

Re: Racing at BSCC with "Fuel Management"

Well, I don't entirely disagree with you, I know it has caused me a few frustrating moments.  But I thought they did a much better job last night of at least informing drivers when it was time to pit.  That's been missing on some of the other nights and drivers just drove around losing laps on empty.  I agree it's too much for the driver to be worrying about fuel while trying to drive around a track at an average of about 4 seconds a lap.  At those speeds there's not much time to not pay attention.

I just added a new poll to see what we might be interested in racing for the next Beaverton season.  Perhaps we can do fuel management with the next poll.  I know we'll be using it on the digital system when we race on it.

"Big Smooth"

So it's looking like this must be a forbidden topic or something? I heard a lot more talking and complaining than I'm seeing in type here! Come on, let's hear from someone who is pro-fuel management!  -----------------------Bill

I think my view on fuel/tire management is fairly well known.  As per instructions on fuel management the experienced racers are to monitor their own while those less experienced are to recieve help.  However, I am having a hard time standing by idlly while someone may be pitching away a nice heat because they forgot to fuel up their electric racecar.  So, I decided to give a reminder to anyone who needed it.  I did get distracted a few times and may have missed some, but others stepped in to help out. This may be contrary to the rules but is more along the lines of friendly competition.

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

Hmmmmmmmmm, evidently I did not catch that rule. Where is that one written, or was it just a verbal? Like you, I was trying to inform racers they were running low on fuel. Sounds kinda like that turn marshalling rule where you hold the offending car in the air until you reslot the "victim" car.............. I didn't notice that rule being practiced either.......Thank god!!!             Bill

Well, thought I ought to weigh in here since I am the one who implemented the fuel management system at Marshall Field Raceway.

As you all may know, one of the main philosophies of the Beaverton Slot Car Club is to keep up with some of the latest technologies available for 1/32 commercial slot cars and give slot car racers a wide range of experiences with the sport.  Fuel and tire management is one of these technologies.  There are others such as digital, which incorporates fuel management too, but we are not digitial, yet?

Realism is an interesting concept in slot car racing.  We all try to "get" as realistic as possible in this sport, but becoming stuck on some realism's isn't necessary the point.  Simulated realism is more in line with slot cars, not actual realism.  I see it as a blending of actual and simulated realism.  By this I mean, it is realistic to have fuel and tire management of a race car (actual) but not by having the drivers pay attention to fuel and tires (simulated).  Of course, a small debate could be had that back in the old days, drivers did have this situation or in SCCA racing today on an amatuer level they do now too to a certain extent.   But I digress. 

In the world of slot car's, having the capability of fuel and tire management, as I see it, is a plus in expanding the experience of slot car racing.  But it is a change from the norm and like digital slot car racing, the change becomes the toughest part to accept for some.  My son and I at BSCC believe in changing and evolving the experience of slot car racing to whatever the industry has to offer.  Keeping in line with this philosophy, I would have to say I like the fuel and tire management system and think it adds another element of strategy thus enriching the experience of the sport.

When to implement fuel seems to be the real issue.  Most would agree, if they are not opposed to the system to start with, that for an enduro and changing drivers for teams is a great place for fuel and possibly tire management.  That way they have a simulated pit crew in their teammates and can stay on top of the system and thus concentrate on the driving only. 

This in a way works well but does it really give you, as a driver, the added strategy that is built into the system?  Not really, because you don't have to pay attention to the fuel as your pit crew member will do it for you.  So in this sense, why have it?  Except for a handy dandy way to make a driver's change, it seems to defeat the purpose of the fuel management system concept, which is to give the driver a more strategy base racing experience and a multitasking approach to racing slot cars.

To have it at short heats with extremely fast cars is what has generated most of the complaints of the system.  The break in concentration for some racers during racing has proven to be more of a hinderance than an enjoyment.  Would it be better if the cars were slower and the heat times longer?  As an evolving club, this seems to be the next experiment.  I tend to agree that it is difficult for most and is taking away from the enjoyment of slot car racing here at Marshall Field Raceway for such fast cars in short heats. 

The experiment of utilizing fuel management, in my opinion, has proven successfully implemented and time will tell which direction the club members want to go with it in races at Marshall Field Raceway.

Racin' Randy

Randy, thanks for wading in! Your input was needed on this topic. After many emails back and forth it seems we have some areas of disagreement, and that's OK. The way I see it some of the new technology in slot racing is taking it to a place somewhere between video games or board games and the "old style" slot racing. Personally I don't find many flaws with the "old style" of slot racing (why do you think it's survived for over 50 years?). But what I have seen in my years of slot car involvement is various sorts of "new" technology come and go. Granted, now some of the technology is more refined, but a lot of it is not actually new. Various manufacturers have experimented with lane changing technology (Eldon had it in the late 60's and called it Select-Tronic). Aurora had a couple of different lane changing race sets in HO.  Oh, and fuel management, both Aurora and Tyco had systems with those features in the early eighties in HO scale race sets. And both actually worked very well! There has always been "new" technology on the market for "HOME RACE SETS" like Scalextric, Carrera, Ninco and all the others to try and "enhance" the racing experience. The fact is they have never really survived the test of time. I expect that is partially to do to the fact they didn't really work all that well. I admit the newest technologies seem to perform much better. But still you have to remember, although this stuff is marketed towards slot car enthusiasts the quality is still somewhat "toy like". The slot car products being produced for "HOME SETS" is NOT high quality. The emphasis on the production of the newest "SET CARS" is on the body. Body detail and appearance are the highest priority, that is obvious! There is as much or more consideration given to collectors as racers! I would bet that sales to collectors is even higher! The focus on manufacturing to meet "slot racer's" interest is on speed. Faster motors and bigger or more traction magnets. The way I see it, they're toys until a slot racer makes them into "race cars". As far as the "technology", I can take it or leave it!     -------------------------Bill

Hi Bill,
Glad to have a good discussion on this. I think it helps the sport develop. 

Your right of course, that the "new technologies" is not all that new, yet it is new for the particular computer programs that are currently available that we are using.  This is what I was referring to.  You have us newbies at a disadvantage as you have been doing this a lot longer than most of us and thus have seen things that are "new" to us.

My intention is not to discuss the merits of slot cars as "toys" or not.  We have had that one before and fuel management is the talk of the time here.  But a short note on this would suffice nevertheless for others who have not been privy to our thoughts on this.   Compared to scratch built brass chassis with hard bodies and others along those lines, these could be considered "toys".  Compared to cars from sets of yesteryear, they are much more than those "toys".  If you want to call them "toys" then so be it.  But having a collection of hundreds of cars, I would argue more along the line of something more than a "toy".  So they are what they are, much better than yesteryear set cars, not as strong and durable as scratch built or metal chassis types, they break like all cars in the world, yet can last for years of hard racing, and they are a hell of lot of fun to race.  That's all that really matters.

I think keeping in perspective the concept of trying to grow the sport and get more people involved in slot car racing, "new" approaches to racing can have a benefit for racers.  Not all will like new things, but keeping up with the manufacturer's offerings is something we at Beaverton Slot Car Club strives to accomplish.  Things will be added and things will drop off, it is the nature of the world.  Having a positive approach to the "new" things that come out and trying them out is one of our goals as a host.  It is there for those who enjoy it and want to play with it.

As our motto at Beaverton Slot Car Club states, "Just for the Fun of It", we try to live up to that mantra.

Thanks Bill, love the discussion.
Racin' Randy

Strategy????? Pit or be penalized, this is not strategy.  The only time I have found any type of strategy useful is on the last round of a heat when you will only need enough fuel to finish.

I think I would agree with Rico there.  There's not really any strategy to how much fuel you should get since it's a three second delay to get fuel at all.  So if I only get a partial fill to save time I will lose time in the long run since every time I stop I have to invoke the three second clause.  It should take less total down time to get one full tank than two half tanks.  So the only strategy is to try and squeeze every lap out of it you can and then get every drop of fuel you can until it comes down to the end of the final heat at which point you can gamble on the amount of fuel you have vs the amount of time left at the final pit stop.  Randy, how long does it take to complete a pit stop if you go from empty to full?

"Big Smooth"

Let's break it down into my simple perspective; 1) do you want to "race" slot cars?, or 2) do you want to play a "game" that involves racing slot cars?. One 1) involves the physical act of running and racing a car you have to some degree "built". It has limited and simple rules that govern the phsyical action. The main rules govern the construction of and details of the car used to compete. The other 2) involves all the aspects of 1), and in addition has additional and more specific rules and conditions which govern HOW you perform the act of racing your car. Both are fun, but both probably don't appeal to all slot car enthusiasts. I'll admit it, I'm "old school". I like racing slot cars like they've always been raced the best. I've tried most all the types of "new" technology that have come along. I've tried many different types of racing formats, and raced with many different racing groups. Some types of racing I don't do often, some types I no longer do at all. Some groups I don't race with often, some groups I no longer race with at all. Some because they no longer exist, some because I no longer enjoy them. It's all in individual perspectives, likes and dislikes................We all have our own. These discussions help us find where we belong. It is much more enjoyable racing in an atmosphere of consensus. After all, is there really anybody that does this for something other than "the fun of it"?        ------------------------------Bill

kidvolt wrote:

Randy, how long does it take to complete a pit stop if you go from empty to full?

Monte- I'd guess around 8 seconds or 2 laps. Randy can correct me if I'm wrong.
Rico

Hey guys,
I like what Bill had to say.  But I still feel we are racing slot cars with an added element, not turning it into a board game, something I know a lot about because I design them.  We all will find our comfort zone in racing.  That's fine.  Marshall Field exists to try to offer something different that the other clubs, like Naste offers something different from Paser and us. 

And so far to keep getting beginners into the world of slot cars, we are generally not a building car type of slot car club.  Mostly commercial up to this point.  That offers the best opportunity to keep newbies getting involved so the sport and continue to grow.  Eventually, we will probably evolve into two aspects, one for beginners, and one for car builders.  Kinda like Tom Street does in Bend.

The fuel can be set to anytime one wants.  Right now it is set to 3 second delay and 7 more seconds to completely fill the tank from empty.  The 3 seconds become added to the fuel after the delay, so a total of 10 seconds to fill the tank.

The 3 second delay works good from our testing.  3 seconds will give you 30% of your fuel which is good for 6 laps as it is set now.  That's a 5 gallon (liter) lost per lap.  Each second is 10% of the fuel. 

Ok, I see your point that it isn't a tremendous amount of strategy but it is additional strategy for these reasons as I see it:  You have to manage your driving to keep an eye on it.  If you don't, you could race without laps.  You have to judge when to get the fuel such as before the timer ends if you want or not.  Your all right about the last heat as the greatest amount of strategy is encountered there.  You don't have to get all the fuel during a stop and experimenting with that is a strategy.  And even though not a strategy, it mixes up the lead more so because of the pit stops.  Oh yeah, crashes and slow racing use less fuel per lap, which is a strategy (you may not want to use it too much, but on crashes it can help you slightly). 

So I would agree it isn't a strategy of high strong merit, but it does offer some new and fun? aspects to racing slot cars.  If we do it and when is really up to the club members.  I wanted to have them try it a few times to get a feel for it.  That has been accomplished.  As one becomes accustomed to the system, it's benefits may become more apparent.

Hello everyone, what a world of discussion!

Reading the note about strategy, I thought of something to point out.

I agree that the most strategy comes in with your last pit stop.  The strategy in deciding how much fuel to finish off the race, since every time before that you would get a full tank.  You can stay for the 3sec and get a quick shot of fuel, or you can stay a few seconds longer to get a full tank.
    But for the amount of time you lose in the pits it doesn't seem to be worth trying to get just the right amount fuel.  You will only lose about 2 laps to completely fill up your car, and by staying in for a second or two less, you might gain a half a lap or so.  But, by staying in a little less you run the risk of having to pit again because you run out of fuel.  So, you might as well play it safe.  Thus, your strategy won't matter much in the end, unless everyone is within 1 or 2 laps of each other, which is very rare.

However, there could be plenty of strategy when doing a longer enduro. 
Since we control how much fuel is used, based on lap times, and how much fuel you start with, how long it takes to start getting fuel, and how long it takes to completely fill up a tank....  there are lots of possibilities. 
    One example would be that you burn very little fuel when turning an average lap time, like 5sec.  Then if you go faster than, say 4.5sec, you burn a significantly larger amount of fuel.  And if you break under 4sec you use lots and lots of fuel that lap.  This would force people to think about driving conservatively.  You would have the choice to drive "slow and steady" to win the race, or drive as fast as possible to win the race.  This would add a little more realism to enduros, like racecar drivers do in really racing.... you usually see them go really fast to get an early lead, and then they slow down to a steady pace.  When the end of the race gets closer, everyone picks up speed to move up a position or two.

My question to you guys is:
What do you think about experimenting like this for enduros?

<--Individualism-->

Randy when you talk about "commercial" racing, tracks and cars you really confuse me. I know what you're trying to convey because we've discussed it before, but I think you're mixing "commercial" with "retail". As far as I know there are no 1/32 RTR cars that are considered "commercial" (other than maybe the Parma Eurosport 1/32). When you're talking about slot cars in the commercial aspect, everyone thinks of the large 1/24 scale tracks of 6 lanes or more, or at least a "commercial type" track that is routed mdf. When you talk about commercial type slot cars, everyone thinks of the cars that are sold retail to run on that type of track. Commercial does not just relate to scratchbuilt or hardbody cars (which I would consider well............scratchbuilt). There are manufacturers that make RTR (ready-to-run) cars for commercial tracks. Parma, JK, Champion are a few examples. The cars you race at BSCC are 1/32 RTR cars made for "home tracks" and club racing. Now I know this is just terminology and it really doesn't matter much, but it is the first step to clear communication and like understanding. If you get a new racer that wants to step up to a nice new controller, and he buys one for "commercial" use and "commercial" tracks he's going to have the wrong controller. Look around on the message boards, slot car parts vendors, anywhere, 1/32 cars are not referred to or considered "commercial". By your reasoning everything we purchase would be considered "commercial". As far as these cars being able to be raced hard for years........come on, who are you kidding? I'll agree they could be "played with" for many years if they were well taken care of, but as far as "raced hard", no freakin' way! We've all seen that!   ------------------------------------Bill

Yes your right Bill, sorry.  When I mean commercial, I really do mean retail.

As far as racing for years.  I do have cars that we have been racing hard for years.  The most immediate one that comes to mind is the A1GP cars.  I still race the one I raced last year.  Of the six I have and raced all but one still races like it did last summer.  Of course, when I mean for years I don't literally mean every time there is a race I race these cars. More of a seasonal thing.  In other words, the cars we have raced for a season still are raceable for another season.  Heck I rarely change out the brushes and rarely the motors.  Sure wings and mirrors break off but the cars still run great.  And remember before we had Marshall Field we had the Underground Raceway and Byron and I raced for years 3 or 4 times a week for hours at a time there.

I have heard comments from others too about how they race all season and have never even oiled their cars. 

Now this class we are racing is extreme and the cars take a hell of lot of pounding.  But my Ferrari will still be running strong way past the end of the season.  My other car got trashed pretty good and I have to replace the chassis.  That only cost about $18.  In the 1/24 scale world of Paser, I have seen cars come off thetrack with far more expensive damage.  Heck the tires need replacing almost every race and they aren't cheap.  Not to mention motors, brushes and gears that go out all the time.  So in a comparison with that world, the 1/32 retail stuff holds up pretty damn good, at least in my experience.  And I can only relate my experience to people.  If compared to the amount of race time I have put on these cars and the amount of race time put on 1/24 scale Paser racing, I would have to say I have had really good longivity with the 1/32 scale.  Much less expensive too. 

Just my 2 cents worth of observation.  Maybe I'm just lucky.
Take care,
Racin' Randy

Randy, I think you should write for "Model Car Racing" magazine!  -----------------------Bill

I think I would have to agree with Randy to a certain degree.  1/32 are made of PLASTIC and I am amazed how tough some of them are.  I have seen some tremendous wallops and cars fly airborn clear off the table to the cement below and be put right back on the track.  Some cars are more prone to damage to the periphials (mirrors, wings, etc) but the major bodies remain intact and runnable.  Granted, I know very little about 1/24 hardbody racing, but I have done some 1/24 Flexi and it certainly is easy to damage them.  Maybe a large portion of it has to do with the operator????
Rico

Rico I will admit I'm also surprised at how tough some of the cars are, but the key word is SOME. I've seen many different types of cars destroyed in one outting at Randy's. Some of them never even made it to the starting grid. I think Randy is exagerating to some degree how great these cars are. I'll admit they really look great, but from a technical and quality aspect they are no better than the HO cars manufactured 20 years ago. As far as how they hold up when raced, I don't know what Randy is smokin'! As far as compared to 1/24 it's like comparing apples to oranges, but just for the record let's think about it.  The facts of 1/24 cars are, yes you have to replace tires every couple of races. You will most likely NEVER have to replace the chassis. If you have motor problems you can buy individual motor parts to REPAIR the motor, as opposed to throwing it away and buying a new one! And as far as cost, the Slot.It cars are $40 to $50 initially. Now if you want to be competitive add another $20 to $30. Let's see the current rules read "you can qualify and race 2 cars".....so double that figure. So here's the facts......Is 1/32 racing really cheaper than 1/24? Generally speaking NO. Depending on the classes you could find some variance EITHER way! Are the current 1/32 scale RTR Model Racing cars better than their predecessors, asthetically YES, functionally NO. Just the facts ma'am........   -----------------------Bill

If someone wants to spend oodles of money on slot cars: they can and will no matter what the scale is.  I have seen $100.00+ HO cars and 1/24 motors for $281.00.  Do you have to spend that much money to have a good time?  Of course not, but people do and will continue to do so.  You and I enjoy tweaking our cars to try to make them better which usually leads to more expense for upgraded parts or whatever.  I don't get the idea that Randy does and except for his 300+ car collection, his expense per car is probably less than what you or I might spend.  I think we all know that any scale can be raced relatively cheaply or one can spend cubic dollars to race. I guess it just depends what one is trying to do and there is no right or wrong answer.
Rico

Rico, you and I are on the same page!  -------------------Bill