Topic: OSCAR NASCAR Race at Inslot's Checkered Flag Raceway on April 15, 2023

Inslot's Checkered Flag in Vancouver hosted an OSCAR NASCAR race on Saturday April 15th. It was nice to see 16 racers turn out for a full day of racing. We had 5 out of town racers, 3 the Bend area, and 2 racers from the Seattle area. We had 3 new racers to the OSCAR circuit. We had 4 newly built chassis entered, built by first time chassis builders in Stuart's chassis class.

Jim "Professor Fate" Mitchell won the Racer's Choice Award for the best looking car. John "Turing John" Gill was the Top Qualifier recording a 4.85 second lap, less than .1 second off his track record. The race consisted of 4 rounds of 4 minute heat races, the standard format for OSCAR races. The only deviation from the standard format was the field was not split into A and B mains. All the racers rotated through the lanes together. In the end John Gill was the winner with "Terrible Tommy" Street following in second. Bob "Nak Nak" Nakamura held the third spot to fill out the podium.

We had Firehouse Subs for lunch, and like the first year we served them at an OSCAR race, I totally screwed up and I don't think anybody got the right sandwich! I'd like to thank my wife Diane for ordering and picking up the food, and for making brownies for the race. We had LOTS of snacks and sodas on hand, so thanks to everyone that brought them! It was a long day and I was totally spent at the end! But man, did I ever have a good time! I hope everyone had as good of a time as I did! Thanks to you all for showing up!

Race results:

1st  Turing John           776 laps  4.60 fast lap
2nd Terrible Tommy     757 laps  4.66 fast lap
3rd Nak Nak                721 laps  4.98 fast lap
4th Bad Billy                714 laps  4.83 fast lap
5th Captain Kirk           711 laps  4.73 fast lap
6th Meat                     711 laps   n/a
7th Fly Racing              708 laps  4.93 fast lap
8th Bart Man                700 laps  n/a
9th Chet                      698 laps  4.99 fast lap
10th DC Dynamo          693 laps  n/a
11th Tiny Tim               662 laps  5.10 fast lap
12th Professor Fate       607 laps  5.16 fast lap
13th The Stig               578 laps  4.71 fast lap
14th Squirt                  569 laps  n/a
15th Sammitch            554 laps  5.269 fast lap
16th Skid Mark            553 laps  5.266 fast lap

Re: OSCAR NASCAR Race at Inslot's Checkered Flag Raceway on April 15, 2023

I had a great time at my first OSCAR race, thank you all for being so welcoming. I also owe Stuart a BIG THANK YOU for being such a quality instructor. The cars we built at class all performed well. All in all a good day

Regards
Rico

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

Thanks for putting on a great race, bill. I was also dead tired but Iā€™m already looking forward to a revenge spanking from Tom in Bend next month. Hope we have a good showing from the valley.

I'm with ya John! I know there will be retribution, but I am ready to give it my best! If nothing else maybe we can out number them!!!