Re: NASTE Odd Thursday Night Racing Rules & Current Thread

Here's some video of last night's racing taken by Bryan Dickerson:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EXum1wH … tion=share

77 (edited by Dorothy the Hammer December 10, 2013 11:49 am)

Thanks for the racing, snacks and for fixing Ruben's cars Bill. I completely forgot to upload pictures of the night. Doing that now and will share the link when finished. Thanks for the video Bryan! Will watch it after pix load as it's too much of a strain on my computer to do both at the same time. smile

Here they are. In the Bill Bostic Folder, but should be the first ones to pop up for you.
http://s737.photobucket.com/user/SlotCa … ay%20Races

Thanks Dorothy, great pictures as usual!!!!

December 19th Odd Thursday Racing.... Seven brave racers set out in the arctic cold night to race in Fairview......OK, so it wasn't quite that bad. I was actually pretty warm in my garage........

Anyway, eight of us had a pretty good time racing in the Classic Sportscar and GT classes. The BRM Porsche class is rapidly becoming a mainstay of the Odd Thursday Night racing program. These 1/24 cars are a blast to race on the somewhat tight confines of TooBad Motorplex, and the racing is VERY close! Look for the BRM class to stick around as a third class on Odd Thursday's. You can contact Chris Kouba for info on the cars. Diane set us up with some excellent treats and coffee, and some racers brought out some treats as well. The racing was very close with lots of side by side battles. Towards the end of the evening we had two new guests that Chris had invited show up. It's always nice to meet new people, and even nicer when they come back out to race again!

Here's the results:

Classic Sports Car Class:

1st Chris Kouba 50.8 laps
2nd Rico Locati 50.1
3rd Bill Bostic 49.4
4th Greg Petrolati 47.9
5th Bryan Dickerson 46.6
6th Tracy Flood 46.3
7th Jimmy Jones 38.1
8th Mitch Brooks 32.1

GT Class:

1st Bill Bostic 59.3 laps
2nd Chris Kouba 55.8
3rd Rico Locati 54.9
4th Greg Petrolati 54.0
5th Tracy Flood 52.7
6th Jimmy Jones 49.065
7th Bryan Dickerson 47.6
8th Mitch Brooks 46.7

BRM Porsche 962:

1st Bill Bostic 59.2 laps
2nd Tracy Flood 58.8
3rd Rico Locati 57.0
4th Chris Kouba 54.4
5th Bryan Dickerson 52.8
6th Rob 48.9
7th Jimmy Jones 46.0

This morning I reviewed the Odd Thursday Night Winner's List. It is obvious by the number of laps the current winners are posting, the competition has somewhat levelled out. Therefore I have lifted all handicaps attached to previous winners. So, previous winners be aware, there are racers gunning for you! The gauntlet has been raised!.............

"Flying Bryan", let me introduce you to "Wingman"..........."Flyin'", I think we may have something for you!

-----------------------------Bill

As most of you regular Odd Thursday Night racers know, thanks to Chris Kouba, we have been racing 1/24 BRM Porsches in an IROC format after the running of our two rgeular classes, Classic Sports Car and GT. These BRM cars have provided us with much more fun than anyone ever would have thought. So much so that we have added them as a third class to race on Odd Thursdays when there are enough participants (this would be at least 2!)...Anyway, they provide for extremely close racing, a lot of bumping and pushing, and they are just a blast! I have added the rules we will race them under to the first post here, which contains all the Odd Thursday racing Rules. The rules look a little complex at first glance, but let me asure you they are not. The intent is to keep the cars close to the BRM Challenge Rules, so if a racer wanted to compete in that series it would not be hard for them to alter their car to comply with those rules. Basically we race them BOX STOCK! If you don't have a car and are interested in sticking around to try them out, Chris Kouba has graciously made loaner cars available!

Thanks Chris!   ---------------------------Bill

Are we just running the Porsche 956/962's or are other bodies legal too?

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

I'll have to submit this question to Chris..........

Technically, the only bodies legal for the BRM series are the BRM 962 and the Toyota 88C.  The forthcoming Sauber Mercedes C9 will be eligible as well, although it will need to run a red motor to keep things even.

That said, I would not be averse to someone swapping a different body onto an otherwise completely stock BRM roller chassis providing it meets all the other criteria (dimensions, weights, etc...).  In other words, no  underweight body without an interior built to have an advantage over the stock BRM.  This eliminates altering the wheelbase and/or guide lead length, etc... regardless of the wheelbase of the car chosen to model.  The 956 fits well on the Toyota chassis but the wheelbase is off on the 962.  The Jag XJR series go well on the 962 chassis with trimming of the venturi areas.

A word of caution with the model bodies though- with the exception of the Tamiya 962, generally speaking, all the others are significantly thinner, lighter, and less durable than the BRM bodies.  Running them at Too Bad may be hazardous to their existence.  It also means that ballast will likely be needed to attain min weight.

The intent of BRM is to provide gorgeous, scale appearing cars for racing.  My intent with sticking as close as practically possible to the Challenge rules is to have box stock cars (with the exception of gears) and make this a driver's contest without continuously escalating tuning wars.  If we stick within that objective, I'd let it ride.

But I'd also reserve my ability to change my mind.  Anyone who picks up a box stock car should be able to win with the right combination of driving and luck.  If body swapping and associated modifications impede that, it'd need to be controlled.

Clear as mud?

Chris

Thanks Chris!..........I'm onboard!

86 (edited by ckouba January 11, 2014 12:16 pm)

I've thought more and more about this lately.  The goal of the BRM Challenge is to have box stock cars be competitive in a scale racing format (accurate shapes, "scale-ish" speeds) and I support that.  If someone wants to take a Group C or IMSA GTP model body and adapt it to either chassis (Porsche or Toyota), at this point I would say I encourage it, as long as it remains in the spirit of the Challenge rules.

The only restrictions:
no alterations to the hardpoints of the chassis (wheelbase, guide location, axle carriers), i.e. no structural alteration of the chassis
the car must meet all the other Challenge rules
the body must provide no competitive advantage.

Bring on the Jag's, Merc's, Mazdas, Nissans...

Chris

It's a NEW YEAR!.........MORE Odd Thursday Night Racing on January 23rd, 2014!

Not a big turn out but still a bunch of fun racing! This odd Thursday marked Al Blanchard's return to slot racing. Al stated he was in need of some entertainment. Whatever the reason, welcome back Al! So in addition we had six of the usual suspects for a field of seven racers. The racing was close and competetive, as it has been for awhile on odd Thursdays. Then we raced the BRM Porsches in somewhat of an IROC format. That's when things changed! Competetive; yes, but in an ugly kind of way! As we only had two BRM Porsches to use as IROC cars, we looked for a substitute car as a third entry. Mitch Brooks volunteered his scratchbuilt vintage sports car. We promptly broke the guide flag on Mitch's car (sorry Mitch!).  It was then decided a NASTE '55 Chevy might be an appropriate substitute; uh NOT! Don't get me wrong, the car functioned just fine. But what started out as a nice friendly competetive race, turned into an all out brawl!!! Since the '55 was quite a bit slower it didn't take long for racers to figure out it was strategically advantages for the '55 to serve as kind of a defensive tool! The name of the game turned to; get past that damn '55! It was actually quite fun and I had a great time!

So here's the results:

1st Rico Locati 47.9 laps
2nd Bryan Dickerson 47.8
3rd Terry Abbott 47.2
4th Tracy Flood 46.4
5th Mitch Brooks 45.1
6th Bill Bostic 44.4
7th Al Blanchard 41.1

GT Class:

1st Rico Locati 56.5 laps
2nd Terry Abbott 54.0
3rd Tracy Flood 53.4
4th Bill Bostic 53.2
5th Bryan Dickerson 51.6
6th Al Blanchard 47.9
7th Mitch Brooks 46.7

'55 BRM Porsche 962:

1st Tracy Flood 48. laps
2nd Bill Bostic 47.2
3rd Rico Locati 46.9
4th Bryan Dickerson 46.8
5th Al Blanchard 45.0
6th Mitch Brooks 42.2

Almost forgot!

Thank you Dorothy for the birthday candy!!!!   --------------Bill

Thanks Bill for another night of racing at the Motorplex, I had a great time as per usual. 

Rico

Thanks Rico, me too!

It was a fun night!We had nine entries in both classes, and Glenn Heath stopped by to visit. It was great to see Glenn and have a chance to talk with him. We started the night of racing with the Classic Sports Car Class. Greg Petrolati (Grrenman) raced to the win with his beautiful scratchbuilt Scarab. I think he may be getting a traction advantage from the drool I leave on the track everytime he brings that thing out! The racing was very close, only three laps separated first from sixth. Second up was the GT class and the racing was just as close, well except for Rico kicking our butts by two and a half laps with his Slot.It Ferrari F40! Behind Rico's dust there were only five laps between second and eigth. After the Classic Sports Car and GT Class races the 1/24 BRM Porsches hit the track. We now have five racers with the fine BRM cars, three of which were still around after the 1/32 races were over. Chris Kouba has generously provided TooBad Motorplex with enough BRM Porsche to enable us to run an IROC race for the BRM cars at the tail end of the evening's activities. Last night ended up just being a test session with the BRMs, and some fun racing. It still amazes me how well these BRM cars perform on the TooBad track, and how much FUN they are! So, the 1/24 BRM Porsche Class will officially be on the menu at the next Odd Thursday Night Race. For the racers that do not have one of these cars (yet - we hope) there will be loaner cars available! These cars are just a BLAST to race, so plan on sticking around next race!

The race results:

1st Greg Petrolati 47.3 laps
2nd Gary Goose Gossett 46.8
3rd Rico Locati 46.4
4th Tracy Flood 45.6
5th Bill Bostic 45.3
6th Bryan Dickerson 44.1
7th Monte Saager 40.6
8th Tie Jimmy Jones 39.4
8th Tie Mitch Brooks 39.4

GT Class:

1st Rico Locati 55.0 laps
2nd Tie Tracy Flood 52.7
2nd Tie Bill Bostic 52.7
4th Gary Goose Gossett 52.2
5th Jimmy Jones 50.448
6th Greg Petrolati 50.1
7th Mitch Brooks 47.8
8th Bryan Dickerson 47.7
9th Monte Saager 46.2

1/24 BRM Porsche 962:

1st EVERYBODY!!!

Thanks Bill for the racing last night, it is certainly getting fast and furious.  It was really cool setting the outright track record even if I held it for only a brief time, damn you Kouba ;-).

Rico

Last night's racing was really a lot of fun and records fell! We welcomed a new racer last night. John Fisher adapted to the track quickly, and was fast right out of the gate. Rico brought out his scratchbuilt Ferrari GTO for the Classic Sports Car Class. Rico won that class but only by a slim margine this time, 3/10ths of a lap. In the GT Class Goose Gossett took the win and set a new race record with 59.8 laps. Goose's record beat Bryan Trachsel's old record by 8/10ths of a lap. - Bryan, dust off those cars and get back out here to defend! - The BRM Porsche Class race, the thing that comes to mind about racing these cars here at TooBad is WILD! Racing these cars is always exciting with very close competition and lots of fender rubbing!.....OK, make that fender BASHING!!! Goose Gossett set the official track lap time record with a 1/24 BRM Porsche at 8.563 seconds. However, Rico Locati unofficially lowered that time to 8.408 seconds, and then Chris Kouba lowered it further to a 8.347 second lap. It amazes me how well the 1/24 BRM cars work here at TooBad!

Here's the race results:

1st Rico Locati 49.3 laps
2nd Goose Gossett 49.0
3rd Chris Kouba 48.8
4th Tracy Flood 45.8
5th Mitch Brooks 43.8
6th Bill Bostic 43.6
7th Monte Saager 41.3
8th John Fisher 39.5
9th Glenn Heath 38.4

GT Class:

1st Goose Gossett 59.8 laps
2nd Chris Kouba 58.9
3rd Rico Locati 53.7
4th tie Glenn Heath 52.0
4th tie Tracy Flood 52.0
6th Bill Bostic 51.9
7th Mitch Brooks 51.0
8th John Fisher 47.7
9th Monte SCX Saager 47.305 - +.005 laps for working tail lights.......

BRM Porsche 962:

1st Bill Bostic 59.2 laps - yes, I finally won one on my own track!
2nd Goose Gossett 59.0
3rd Chris Kouba 57.5
4th Rico Locati 56.8
5th Tracy Flood 54.1
6th Mitch Brooks 51.1
7th Glenn Heath 51.0
8th Bryan Dickerson 50.5
9th John Fisher 50.4

Chris Kouba's beautiful 1/24 BRM 962 Porsche:

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_5372.jpg

Indeed Bill, thanks for a great night of racing.  It was too long since I last raced at Too Bad and I knew how much I missed it.  Good times all around!

It's excellent to see the BRM's getting some track time.  Tracy's new Leyton House car looked fantastic and shiny, although with the close running, it shouldn't take too long to change that.  People do seem to enjoy going side by side with them and they do offer fantastic racing in the configuration we've chosen.  I am glad to be a part of it.

Looks like I need to get my work done at home so I can squeeze a little more out of my entries.  Goose certainly raised the bar this week with his GT40- what a smooth, planted runner!  Excellent motivation...

Looking forward to next week as a warm-up for the Tacoma weekend!

Chris

KOUBA..................that's all you need to know about last nights racing!

Chris Kouba showed up with the hardware and a plan. He skillfully executed the plan, and at the night's end it was THREE WINS, and THREE TRACK RECORDS for the WINGMAN! We had a good turn out of twelve racers, but none of us could put Chris in the rear view mirror. It was great to have Flyin' Bryan Trachsel return to TooBad, but even Flyin' couldn't catch Chris this time around. As far as the rest of us? Well, we were involved in some very close racing! Greg Petrolati and Bryan Trachsel were involved in a great on track battle in the Classic Sports Car Class. John Fisher and Bryan Dickerson were also involved in a closely contested heat. Mitch Brooks' Corvette was awesome in the Classic Sports Car Class! All in all it was a fun evening of racing. The garage lights stayed on until 12:30 a.m., and I had a great time!

I'd like to thank Chris Kouba for his help in setting up my BRM Porsche for the upcoming race in Tacoma!

Here's the race results:

1st Chris Kouba 53.3 laps
2nd Bryan Trachsel 50.2
3rd Greg Petrolati 50.1
4th Goose Gossett 49.9
5th Rico Locati 48.4
6th Mitch Brooks 46.3
7th John Fisher 45.4
8th Howie Howard 45.3
9th Bill Bostic 44.2
10th Glenn Heath 43.9
11th Bryan Dickerson 42.9
12th Cailin Dunbar 31.3

GT Class:

1st Chris Kouba 61.2 laps
2nd Bill Bostic 58.3
3rd Rico Locati 57.6
4th Goose Gossett 57.4
5th Bryan Trachsel 56.0
6th Greg Petrolati 52.2
7th Howie Howard 50.6
8th Bryan Dickerson 50.4
9th Mitch Brooks 49.1
10th Cailin Dunbar 47.5
11th Glenn Heath 47.1
12th John Fisher 47.0

BRM Porsche 962:

1st Chris Kouba 61.4 laps
2nd Rico Locati 58.4
3rd Bill Bostic 57.9
4th Howie Howard 57.0
5th Bryan Dickerson 55.6
6th John Fisher 55.5
7th Glenn Heath 54.0
8th Mitch Brooks 51.3
9th Greg Petrolati 51.1

April 3rd, Odd Thursday Night Racing - The competition is heating up at TooBad Motorplex on odd Thursday nights! We had twelve racers in attendance, and we saw one new race record set. Chris Kouba returned this week with a new car to replace his Classic Sports Car race winning, record setting Slot.It Ford GT40. Chris' new scratchbuilt Ford GT40 not only won the race, it set a new race record beating his old record by 1/10th of a lap! In the GT Class, Gary Goose Gossett blew the field away with his Slot.It Jaguar XJR12. Gary ran this car with an inline motor set up, and it was tuned to perfection! Gary then came back for a win in the 1/24 BRM Porsche 962 class with another win that was just 1/10th of a lap shy of the class record! It was an outstanding night of close racing!

Here's the race results:

1st Chris Kouba 53.4 laps
2nd Goose Gossett 51.1
3rd Greg Petrolati 51.0
4th Tracy Flood 49.2
5th Bill Bostic 47.8
6th Mitch Brooks 46.2
7th Glenn Heath 46.0
8th Howie Howard 45.6
9th Russell Flood 44.2
10th Thomas Flood 39.4
11th Todd Flood 34.3

GT Class:

1st Goose Gossett 60.7 laps
2nd Chris kouba 59.6
3rd Bill Bostic 58.1
4th - tie Russell flood 55.9 
4th - ties Tracy Flood 55.9
6th Glenn Heath 54.9
7th Howie Howard 54.1
8th John Fisher 52.7
9th Mitch Brooks 49.1
10th Greg Petrolati 48.5
11th Thomas Flood 44.4
12th Todd Flood 41.4

BRM Porsche 962:

1st Goose Gossett 61.3 laps
2nd Bill Bostic 60.9
3rd Tracy Flood 58.9
4th Chris Kouba 58.4
5th Glenn Heath 57.0
6th Russell Flood 56.8
7th John Fisher 56.6
8th Howie Howard 54.2

April 15th, Odd Thursday Racing on Tuesday Evening. It was a very casual evening of racing tonight. There was only six of us, so we kept it low key with no actual races, just a lot of practice, tuning, and fun!

Thanks again Bill for a pleasant evening.

My pleasure Rico!

I think I usually have more fun than anybody!

May 2nd, Odd Thursday Night Racing on Friday!........Yes, you read that correctly. And it was a wild Friday evening! Terry Abbott made it out to take a first in both the Classic Sports Car and the GT Classes. After racing those two classes we beat the BRM Porsches to death in a shake down race before Saturday's NASTE Race featuring the BRMs in an IROC format. It was an exciting night of good close racing!

Here's the race results:

1st Terry Abbott 51.3 laps
2nd Goose Gossett 50.4
3rd Chris kouba 50.1
4th Glenn Heath 49.4
5th Rico Locati 48.4
6th Bill Bostic 48.0
7th Howie Howard 46.5
8th Mitch Brooks 44.0

GT Class:

1st Terry Abbott 61.4 laps