Re: NASTE Odd Thursday Night Racing Rules & Current Thread

kidvolt wrote:

Tony is now Mr. Scaley.  We got a source.

Can we direct order through Tony?  Does one of us need to become a "distributor"?

Me, I've been made the distributor.  It's not clear yet if onesy-twosy is ok or it needs to be a bunch.  I'll find out.

"Big Smooth"

753 (edited by docdoom February 27, 2017 5:50 pm)

If do end up making this a class I think going with a cut off date,say any car that ran in the gt class from 2013 to present would be legal to run and sticking with one make of car would be the best way to go. Even  so Carrera does make some nice gt3 cars but they are very heavy and if I'm not mistaken the motors do not run great on anything under 14 volts so a motor swap would be in order to make them run with Scalextric cars.. If do allow them in. then a fixed factory 18k motor must be used. such a h&r or something that can be easy to id.
Hey this car has your name all over it Monte
Scalextric BMW Z4 GT3 - Daytona 24 Hr 2015  C3720

The secondnidator

Doc, I checked very closely but I couldn't find my name anywhere on that car, just some guy named Turner.

"Big Smooth"

Really? must of been all that bright yellow paint blinding me.

The secondnidator

756 (edited by docdoom March 1, 2017 6:26 pm)

found a few dirt cheap gt3 on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scalextric-Bent … SwcwhVMXrL
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scalextric-Avon … SwaNBUi0zV
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scalextric-Avon … SwaNBUi0zV
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scalextric-C328 … Sw44BYeNVG
these make good runners also
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCALEXTRIC-C328 … xyyq5TOKNw
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scalextric-1-32 … Sw4CFYthEY
This one has Chris written all over it. It should be legal to race.I do believe  they raced them last in the 2013 season.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scalextric-1-32 … Sw7XZXg7iL
just some samples. might get that bently just because it so cheap and would make a nice add on to my digital fleet

The secondnidator

757 (edited by CrashPilot March 1, 2017 9:46 pm)

Hello guys! This is Fernando. I'm new here. First, thanks for the incredible hospitality at the events. As everybody said, slot cars are really addicting, and you all guys are awesome.
I'm completely in to GT3 class, first because I do think that the cars are gorgeous. Second because I already have one Scalextric Bentley Continental GT3 and two other Porsche GT that came with my starter track....LOL
This friday I'm gonna be adding to my "garage" a Scalextric Ford GT40 MKII 1966. It is arriving friday... Purchased at Amazon, theres a lot of options there in a good price and free shipping for those who have a Prime account.
Look forward for the next race!

Hey Fernando, welcome to the online side of the circus!

Doc- Do you have an official draft of the rules yet?  Are there any mods planned to be legal?  There are a number of ways this can go- like Trans Am/Le Mans mods (wheels, gears, etc...) to BRM mods (none).  I have a car or two which is legal already but I have a Slot.It rear axle on one and finding the original may be problematic at best.  To be clear, don't let that steer what you want to do with this class, I am simply asking. 

And I am lazy. 

And I don't feel like finding the original axle. 

But I will if I have to...

Chris

759 (edited by docdoom March 2, 2017 5:56 pm)

rough guild line nothing set in stone yet. thought might get some feed back. like to keep it simple. buy a car do a few simple mods and race it. don't want to turn a $40.00 car into a $80.00 car only thing that really needs to be replaced is the rear tires and the guild. and the guild is just preventive replacement because of the way there made.

Except for the following allowances, car should be box stock.  Specifically this means-

Stock motor

Stock body and chassis (wheel wells may not be altered)
stock wheels and axiles

The allowances
Traction magnet must be removed
Any rubber/urethane tires may be used
Tires may be glued and trued on the wheels
Guide and braid are free to replace/modify
Guide may be shimmed to appropriate depth for track
Grinding to fit (lead, brass, etc...) weight in is acceptable.  Grinding to remove weight is not.
It is permitted to glue bearings into the chassis
It is permitted to glue the motor into the chassis
It is permitted to apply glue inside bearings to eliminate slop of oversize bearings
Chassis may be filed along its perimeter for float, but do not remove more than 1/16" of material
Valances and other bodywork may not be separated from the chassis
If it's not mentioned, you can't do it

The secondnidator

Presumably only Scaley cars or are other marques being allowed?

still up in the air on that. maybe  this was my take from another post. If do end up making this a class I think going with a cut off date,say any car that ran in the gt class from 2013 to present would be legal to run and sticking with one make of car would be the best way to go. Even  so Carrera does make some nice gt3 cars but they are very heavy and if I'm not mistaken the motors do not run great on anything under 14 volts so a motor swap would be in order to make them run with Scalextric cars.. If do allow them in. then a fixed factory 18k motor must be used. such a h&r or something that can be easy to id

what do you think?

The secondnidator

Sounds a lot like how the Le Mans class evolved.  There are going to be a few cars that are good performers, but if someone wants to develop a slower car which fits the intent (Carrera, for instance), I think it's the NASTE nature to be inclusive.  I think the H&R 18k is a good alternate spec motor, although cars of lesser brands may take a little more mojo than just an H&R motor to be comparable to the Scaley fleet.  They do make some pretty ones though, and they are generally pretty affordable too.

Quite a few of the newer Carrera cars have decent performance on the track with little modifications. The DTM's come to mind and I have a later model Corvette that is pretty decent. The Ferrari 365 P2 is a good runner as well but obviously not for a GT3 class.

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

Reeko do the carrera car need a motor swap or do the stock run ok at what we run for voltage?

The secondnidator

Doc, let's see what the general consensus is this Thursday, and then you can finalize the rules.

766 (edited by docdoom March 9, 2017 11:04 pm)

ok this is what we came up with for new scalextric GT3
gt3 rules
scaly gt3 cars only
must have lights. we are going to be racing with the lights off at times
car must of raced in the gt class during or after the 2013 season
no after market axiles must run the stock or replacement scaley axile
Except for the following allowances, car should be box stock.  Specifically this means-

Stock motor

Stock body and chassis (wheel wells may not be altered)
stock wheels and axiles

The allowances
Traction magnet must be removed
Any rubber/urethane tires may be used
Tires may be glued and trued on the wheels
Guide and braid are free to replace/modify
Guide may be shimmed to appropriate depth for track
Grinding to fit (lead, brass, etc...) weight in is acceptable.  Grinding to remove weight is not.
It is permitted to glue bearings into the chassis
It is permitted to glue the motor into the chassis
It is permitted to apply glue inside bearings to eliminate slop of oversize bearings
Chassis may be filed along its perimeter for float, but do not remove more than 1/16" of material
Valances and other bodywork may not be separated from the chassis
If it's not mentioned, you can't do it
list of cars that ran in the gt class there may be some i missed but theses are ones that scaley makes.

Aston Martin     DBRS9
    Lamborghini     Gallardo  GT3
    Corvette     GT3
    Ferrari     F430 GT3
    Porsche     911 GT3 get the new inline set. the older side winders cars dont work well at all
    Audi     R8 LMS
        BMW     Z4 GT3
    Mercedes-AMG     SLS AMG GT3 scaley has  new chassie with in line motor coming out mid summer. the older one is front motor set up
    McLaren     MP4-12C GT3
        Aston Martin     V12 Vantage GT3
        Chevrolet     Camaro GT3 ak dont wast your money gettting one they suck big time
    Bentley     Continental GT3
    Lamborghini     Huracán GT3 dont belive scaley makes one of these yet
    Nissan     GT-R Nismo GT3
    Dodge     Viper Competition Coupe Series another front motor car.
    Ford     GT GT3

The secondnidator

767 (edited by reek455 March 10, 2017 8:57 am)

Hey Doc,

Would you consider allowing the Maserati Trofeo? Maybe not quite GT3 but I like the looks of them.

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo56/reek455/C3507-10_zpsz8xwvygg.jpg

Hey I missed that one on the list. Legal  for the class unless some proves its not

The secondnidator

What, no Masers in yellow?

"Big Smooth"

PLENTY of them...

(just not slot cars)

kidvolt wrote:

What, no Masers in yellow?

A wise person once said "Be careful what you wish for"

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo56/reek455/c3511-maserati-trofeo_1_zpsf8ah3qs7.jpg

Excellent racing on Odd Thursday March 9, 2017 at TooBad Motorplex! First up were the GT Class cars. My old Strombecker Ford J (on a Slot.it HRS chassis of course) made a re-appearance and squeaked through for the win over Rico Locati by 3/10ths of a lap. Greg Petrolati finished third edging out Amy fields by 1/10th of a lap, who just slipped by Bryan Dickerson by 4/10ths of a lap. That folks is some close racing!

After we finished with the GT Class we raced the Classic Sports Car Division I cars, which was the point series race for the night. Again the racing was very close! Chris Kouba came home first scoring 15 points towards his series total. Guess who was second? Yup, Dan Fritz tied up yet another second place finish in the point series. Mitch Brooks did an outstanding job of preparing his car and then driving it to a third place finish half a lap ahead of Rico Locati. John Morse after a short slot racing sabbatical pulled out an impressive sixth place finish!

Then it was time! Time to get into some serious slot car whoopin's! The BRM Group C Class was set on the starting grid! In this race there were no punches pulled! It was time to man up and go get 'em! Dan Fritz slugged his way to first place followed closely by Greg Petrolati, with Chris Kouba in third. As usual, the action never stopped with the BRM 1/24 cars!

Thanks to everyone that was able to make it out and race! It was a most fun get together and reminded me of why we do this!!!

Here are the results:

GT Class
1 Bill Bostic  59.1 lAPS 
2 Rico Locati  58.8
3 Greg Petrolati  57.7
4 Amy Fields 57.6
5 Bryan Dickerson  57.2
6 Terry Abbott  55.4
7 Jeff Fields  54.7 - fastest lap
8 Dan Fritz  54.7
9 Al Christensen 53.5
10 Chris Kouba  52.8
11 Mitch Brooks  52.7
12 John Morse  52.6
13 Jimmy Jones  48.9
14 Fernando Carvalho  48.6
15 Dick Gehrke  41.4

Classic Sports Car Div.I - Official NASTE Point Series Championship Race - 2017 Season - Race No. 13
1 Chris Kouba 54.4 laps - 15 points
2 Dan Fritz 54.0  -  14 points
3 Mitch Brooks  53.0 - 13 pts.
4 Rico Locati 52.5 - 12 pts.
5 Bryan Dickerson  51.9  - 11 pts.
6 John Morse 51.3  - 10 pts.
7 Greg Petrolati  50.9  - 9 pts.
8 Terry Abbott 50.8 - 8 pts.
9 Bill Bostic  50.2  - 7 pts.
10 Al Christensen  50.1 - 6 pts.
11 Jeff Fields  49.9 - 5 pts.
12 Jimmy Jones  49.6 - 4 pts.
13 Amy Fields  48.9 - 3 pts.
14 Dick Gehrke  43.6 - 2 pts.
15 Fernando Calvalho  39.1 - 1 pt.

BRM Group C
1 Dan Fritz  61.2 Laps
2 Greg Petrolati 60.7
3 Chris Kouba 59.9
4 Al Christensen  59.3
5 John Morse  56.7
6 Bryan Dickerson  56.4
7 Mitch Brooks 55.8
8 Fernando Carvalho 52.0
9 Bill Bostic  50.0

Bill I want that 20 back. that 4 tenths was to be added to my total laps not Chris.
I lost that 4 tenths when jimmy crashed under the bridge and I collect him. It would off been close to a dead heat if that didn't happen. I did get my revenge in the BRM car at least.

The secondnidator

Yes, there is always the BRM race to get even!

The new GT3 Class rules have been added to the Rules page here:http://naste.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=630

They are located in the Forum under Race Rules - then NASTE Odd Thursday Night Racing

The rules are copied to the page as written in the post above. The class sponsor is Dan (Doc) Fritz. He makes the calls when it comes to rules interpretation and identifying what cars are legal to race in the class (same goes for all class sponsors in regards to the classes they sponsor).

==========Bill