726 (edited by ckouba February 10, 2017 1:18 pm)

Re: NASTE Odd Thursday Night Racing Rules & Current Thread

Thanks for an excellent evening of racing Bill.  I had a great time and with some very close racing.  Congrats to Rico on a well-earned win in the Le Mans category.

Regarding Can Am...

wb0s wrote:

Here are the results:

Can Am Class
1 Chris Kouba  62.1 
2 Terr Abbott  57.0
3 Dan Fritz  56.6
4 Rico Locati 55..4
5 Al Christensen  55.3
6 Bill Bostic  54.8 - 1st in USRRC
7 Mitch Brooks  53.0
8 Greg Petrolati  51.6
9 Fernando Carvalho 43.3

Terry's entry (the Scuderia Kouba GT40) is actually USRRC. 

And he'd like to buy a vowel...

It was a enjoyable night of racing despite the damage to my once pristine 962.  Doc and I had several intense battles, some won and some lost by each, but what great fun. Thanks to Bill as always for the hospitality and especially for the extra coffee.

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

Ha! I'll take a "y". Fun night. Thanks to Chris for loaning me his little Ford. Congrats to Rico on the win.

"Terry's entry (the Scuderia Kouba GT40) is actually USRRC. "

"And he'd like to buy a vowel..."

Corrections made....BOTH of them! Sorry about that!!!

========Bill

February 23rd Odd Thursday at Al's Rippin' Ridin' Raceway in Portland.

We had an outstanding crowd for this Odd Thursday race, a field of 12. Welcome back to new comer Fernando Carvalho, and it was good to see Dick Gehrke stop by and run some laps with us!

The racing started off with the Can Am Class cars with Chris Kouba leading the way to the checkered flag. Dan Fritz returned to his usual second place spot. Amy Fields had an impressive drive for a third place finish, one of her best finishes to date.

Next up was the NASTE Point Series Race with the Le Mans Class cars. Chris Kouba scored another wi, this time with Terry Abbott close behind, and Dan Fritz dropping to third. First through eighth all had over 60 laps, with only 5 laps separating first from eighth. The racing was very close!

For the BRM Group C Race the field dropped to eight but the intensity went up, as usual for the BRM class! This time Al Christensen took the win followed by Chris Kouba one lap back. Dan Fritz again fought his way to third.

Last but not least was the Over 50 Class where Mitch Brooks narrowly beat out Al Christensen with Bill Bostic following a ways back in third. All the classes added up to some very close and extremely fun racing! Thanks to Al Christensen for hosting and to everyone that brought snacks!

Here are the results:

Can Am Class
1 Chris Kouba  73.7 
2 Dan Fritz  71.8
3 Amy Fields  71.3
4 Rico Locati 69..0
5 Al Christensen  68.3
6 Terry Abbott  67.5
7 Greg Petrolati  67.3
8 Jeff Fields  66.0
9 Mitch Brooks 64.2
10 Bill Bostic  58.2
11 Fernando Carvalho  50.1
12 Dick Gehrke  48.7

Le Mans - Official NASTE Point Series Championship Race - 2017 Season - Race No. 12
1 Chris Kouba 67.9 laps - 12 points
2 Terry Abbott 66.6  -  11 points
3 Dan Fritz  65.7 - 10 pts.
4 Al Christensen 64.5 - 9 pts.
5 Jeff Fields  64.2  - 8 pts.
6 Bill Bostic 63.4  - 7 pts.
7 Rico Locati  62.7  - 6 pts.
8 Greg Petrolati 62.4 - 5 pts.
9 Mitch Brooks  57.2  - 4 pts.
10 Amy Fields  57.1 - 3 pts.
11 Fernando Carvalho  52.3 - 2 pts.
12 Dick Gerhke  47.1 - 1 pt.

BRM Group C
1 Al Christensen  74.5 Laps
2 Chris Kouba 73.4
3 Dan Fritz  73.0
4 Rico Locati  71.2
5 Greg Petrolati  70.7
6 Bill Bostic  69.4
7 Mitch Brooks 68.5
8 Fernando Carvalho 56.5

Over 50
1 Mitch Brooks  66.7 Laps - 7.548 sec. Fastest Lap
2 Al Christensen 66.7 Laps - 7.591 sec. Fastest Lap
3 Bill Bostic 61.2
4 Rico Locati 56.6
5 Chris Kouba 54.0

731 (edited by docdoom February 28, 2017 10:47 am)

yep  close racing indeed.Chris also extended his point lead.
next odd we are racing gt. any chance we could maybe slip the scaley gt3 cars into the mix. like to get a feel on what every body thinks about starting a new class of these up. rules are simple any modern scaley gt3 car.
Technical Specifications-
Any car that ran in the gt class from 2013 to present would be legal to run
Except for the following allowances, car should be box stock.  Specifically this means-
Stock motor
Stock body and chassis (wheel wells may not be altered)
stock wheels and axiles

The allowances
Traction magnet must be removed
Any rubber/urethane tires may be used
Tires may be glued and trued on the wheels
Guide and braid are free to replace/modify
Guide may be shimmed to appropriate depth for track
Grinding to fit (lead, brass, etc...) weight in is acceptable.  Grinding to remove weight is not.
It is permitted to glue bearings into the chassis
It is permitted to glue the motor into the chassis
It is permitted to apply glue inside bearings to eliminate slop of oversize bearings
Chassis may be filed along its perimeter for float, but do not remove more than 1/16" of material
Valances and other bodywork may not be separated from the chassis
If it's not mentioned, you can't do it
that is it
  low cost big fun class.
well what do you think

The secondnidator

RE: Over 50 class, you can't win by any smaller margin without losing.

Hey Doc, just top clarify the Scalextric GT3 cars ARE legal for the Odd Thursday Night GT Class.

I'd be happy to add the Scalextric GT3 Class to our list of classes. You would be the class sponsor Doc which means the rules, clarifications, and any changes would be your call.

Input or concerns from any other racers?

========Bill

734 (edited by Mitch58 February 25, 2017 5:40 am)

Yes the Scalextric GT3 cars do qualify for the GT class, but they will probably get spanked pretty hard by the Slot Its and the lone Fly car that runs in that class. They are fun looking cars and could probably benefit from their own class, but we might want to think about something similar speed/handling wise that could run with them. Not everybody might want to buy another car for another class. Just a thought. I already picked up a Scaley GT3 just because, well, I guess because I have no will power to resist.

I was thinking more like the f1 class run them with rocket ships but they would be there own class and class win.

The secondnidator

I'm OK with having classes with two divisions, but anymore than that is just a pain in the you know what to score and keep track of (like our current F1 class!). My prefference would be to NOT have any classes with divisions but I am OK with whatever the group would like to do.

With that said, at some point I would like to "re-construct" our current F1 class as well as the GT class. Maybe turn them into multiple classes?

I'm ok with that.maybe call it super gt and gt3. Be kind of like imsa runs with the lmp cars and the gt cars.

The secondnidator

it would not be a bad idea to look at our classes and try to get them organized a little better.  I agree the F1 class is pretty well a monster that needs help.  There are others...

"Big Smooth"

Yes indeed Monte. The GT Class is nothing more than an unlimited-run-what-ya-got class. I'm thinking it would be better to re-define our classes narrowing the car types and just allow new folks to run what they have in any class. We could have a stipulation similar to the existing magnet rule, that after they won a race they must comply to the rules. How much easier can you get? Cheating is fine until you win!!!

Just leave a spot for my Soccer Mom car, I've finally got it turning some very good laps. If it was up to just Monte there would be NO yellow cars.

Well, I have a yellow Soccer Mom car that I just love to pilot.

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

I think we should have a YELLOW CAR Class, and MAKE Monte participate!!!

I bet he would submit an Orange car and call it Yellowish.

I'd be more in favor of a stand alone GT3 class as well.  As Mitch says, the current GT class hardware will crush a stock-ish Scaley car. The one Doc had was fun and well-balanced, and I'd imagine Scaley's can be found pretty inexpensively.

I'd be up for it. Will have to start looking for one...

Scalextric GT?  Are you kidding me?  Tony is now Mr. Scaley.  We got a source.

A class for yellow cars?  Like making fun of a cripple...

"Big Smooth"

I suggest we make a list of all the possible classes.  Pick 10 and start a rotation.  Next year we can pick a different 10.  Or something like that.  Maybe only replace half per year so 5 holdovers and 5 new.

"Big Smooth"

Hey my limp is almost gone.

The secondnidator

Does that mean we have to paint Doc yellow?

Or break the other one.

"Big Smooth"

kidvolt wrote:

Or break the other one.

Break the other Doc?  I didn't realize we had 2?  Is that why he's always coming in second?