Topic: Club Meeting

I'm taking another step in trying to form a slot car club here in Oakridge.  I rented a room at my local activity center building, for Oct. 22nd.  I'll take my track there, with some cars, and hopefully have some folks show up.  I'm advertising in the local paper, plus putting out some flyers.

Finishing second, isn't much better than finishing at all........  (I believe a David Pearson quote)

Re: Club Meeting

Good luck to you Mike.  Let us know how it goes.

"Big Smooth"

Mike, we're all wishing you the best of luck!!!!

The racers are out there, you just need to find them!!!!    -----------------------Bill

I would like to thank Jeff for another GREAT evening of racing!   always puts on a fun evening of racing and food!   Looking forward to the haloween race in  a few weeks............................................thanks again Jeff..

Great job on putting together a few extra cars for the race also..

"Due to economic cutbacks,the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off"

YES!!! Thank you Jeff!!!

GREAT race, GREAT FUN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 (edited by reek455 October 17, 2010 9:54 am)

What a hoot, thanks Jeff for another fine evening of entertainment.  Now, what to create for Halloween, definitely something faster than the Batmobile.  Hmmm, I do have that NSR 40K motor taking up space....

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

I've been getting my track ready to go portable, to my local activity center this friday for my first club meeting.  I've ran adds in the local paper, with my email address  So far, no replies.  But, maybe a few will just show up. 

I ended up nailing, and glueing my track to the base.  So I'm hoping when putting it on edge to go through doorways, it will resemble the track I remember upon being layed flat again!

The plan is to run Artin Stockers.  As I have about 7.  Should make for a good beginner car, I know mine has a taken a fair amount of abuse.

Oh, lastly, I've named my track, Cascade Raceway.

Finishing second, isn't much better than finishing at all........  (I believe a David Pearson quote)

We are wishing you great success Mike!

Years ago we had an HO club and we built a protable track. We sat it up in a local hobby shop and promoted a couple races. We also took it to a couple car events (The NW Shelby Club Show & Shine). The first year we charged  a quarter to race for 3 minutes. We gave out prizes to the fastest racers. The next year we charged 50 cents for 2 minutes. We were overwhelmed with participants!!!!

So if this event doesn't pan out as you hope, don't give up. They're out there, sometimes its just hard to get connected!   ----------------------------Bill

Unfortunately, no one showed up for my club meeting last night.

I might get a booth for the December holiday festival here in town.  Maybe that would spark some interest.

Sorry to hear you didn't have a better turn out Mike.

The holiday festival may work out better. It was amazing to us how many adults as well as the kids would stop and try out our HO track when we used to set it up at events. The adults would usually comment how they had a set just like it when they were kids. Then they would be amazed that any adults would still be racing the "toy" cars.

Do you have any local hobby shops where you could set it up and have a race?

Do you have any model car shows or swap meets locally?

--------------------------------Bill

Oakridge is to small to have any functions closely related to slot cars.  Nor hobby stores.  Eugene would be the closest, with the hobby store about an hour away from Oakridge. 

Interesting, that I hear there is so little to do in our town, yet............ oh well.  My only other thought, we do have a bowling alley that struggles, might contact them about holding a slot car race there, maybe let them help get the word out.  Otherwise, I think I will try the holiday festival.

Thanks for the support.

The bowling alley sounds like a good prospect to me!