Topic: NASTE - Latest Poll

Hey, Let's have some dialog regarding the latest NASTE Poll.

I'll admit, I think $50 is too much for a slot car. Have I paid that much before? YES, and even more. Doesn't mean I don't think its too much!

I suppose it depends on what scale you race, and the type of cars. As far as HO I'm in agreement with whoever said $10 was too much for a slot car. But then I like to race T-Jet type HO cars. They should be under $10.

1/32 cars. Now here's some criminal activity! These things should be under $40!

1/24 cars are all over the board. There's low tech cars, and then there's some really high tech equipment on the market. So it depends a lot on what you like to race. Flexi type cars in my opinion are pretty simple and low tech, $40 should be tops for Flexi's. I like hardbody scratchbuilt cars, but the cost of even a body is ridiculous! Model cars have gone out of sight cost wise! A guy should be able to build a hardbody car for $50!

OK, so I'm cheap! Or at least cheap minded............   ----------------------------Bill

Re: NASTE - Latest Poll

I'm with you all the way.  Cheap would be my choice whenever possible.  But I would probably do better to take up whittling as a hobby.  There's always another car, controller, something calling to me.  I try to draw my limit at < $50 mark unless it's something that I think is special that appeals to the collector in me.  I think Gubi said it well that slot cars can appeal to us in different ways.  And so it is.  Sometimes I'm a collector but mostly I'd prefer to be a racer and builder.  I'm happy to wait on a $75 car and look for a used version at less than $50.  Since I mostly run them, used always works well for me.  But I also want to play so it sometimes doesn't take long for the price of a $40 car to quickly escalate.

I like the fact that I can get an SCX COT for less than $50 fully modified for the season.  At the end of the year I can probably get half the cost back selling the car off if it survives.  Not so bad for a season of entertainment.  Who knows, it might even be a keeper.

And if you do see a $50 price tag on one of those Cochon Rose's contact me ASAP!

"Big Smooth"

3 (edited by reek455 May 6, 2009 8:04 am)

The most I personally spent purchasing a slot car is $60.00 and it was pre-owned.  On the other hand, it would have cost way more if it was new.  I have spent way more than I care to admit updating some cars for a certain race series and like Monte am glad to have costs curtailed for the current season.  I think some of this boils down to the "got to have it" factor and a persons perceived value.  I have one car kit that I received as a gift that cost close to $100.00 and I have spent additional $$$ finishing it.  On average, I think the $50.00 dollar range is the going rate for a new 1/32 car.  What I can't believe is that so many or the same person keeps voting for $10.00 is too much.  What scale are you buying?  New or used?  Enquiring minds want to know.  I think the poll should have stated the scale or broken it down into the various scales and the results would be more accurate.

Rico

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

Rico, you can only vote once from the same IP address.  That's how it tracks votes, is by the IP address.

"Big Smooth"

Like Rico I've spent money upgrading my cars over the initial cost. I'll admit that I've spent way more than I care to remember. As far as the $10 votes, I suspect that's mostly HO scale. However, when I look at some of the cars on the market (regardless of scale) and consider the "quality" of the car as a whole, anything over $10 is too much for many of them!!!! There are quite a few cars where all you're paying for is the body!!! And considering a complete 1/24 scale model kit is not quite $20, I figure a 1/32 body (painted and all) should be worth about $12 (ok, so that's my opinion). Most of the 1/32 OEM chassis, wheels, tires, axles, and guide flags are JUNK! And in reality the motors are about as cheap as they come!!!! SCX has the best quality motors!!! All the rest are "throw aways"!!! HO scale slot cars have always been the cheap route into slot racing. Quality wise, I think HO cars are better than most all the 1/32 cars!!! 1/32 cars are superior only in body detail........but hell, they're BIGGER!!!!  ------------Bill

The latest poll is in referrence to the posts for the proposal for the NASTE 2010 racing season. You can get the full details and add any comments you may have under the NASTE 2010 posts.  ---Bill