Re: NASTE Odd Thursday Night Racing Rules & Current Thread

So Greg snuck in with a Thunderslot?

"Big Smooth"

827 (edited by reek455 June 18, 2017 9:31 am)

Yes, yes he did. It was bloody quick and I think we should ban them like NSR's or everyone is going to have to buy one. I may or may not have one on order…

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

You know I may or may not already have one, right.

http://www.naste.org/members/monte/T-Slot-1.jpg

Well, that's before a few modifications.  Maybe...

"Big Smooth"

reek455 wrote:

I think we should ban them like NSR's or everyone is going to have to buy one.

Or... just throwing this out there... maybe it's time to lift the NSR ban?  They are available at Slot.It prices if you look hard enough and as has been said before, by the time we are tuning any of the other brands to run as well as they are these days, we probably have "NSR money" invested in them.

I have already come close to picking up a Thunderslot (but admit to not having done so yet) but already do own 3 or 4 NSR's.  I would love to be able to use them but also would enjoy getting a Slot.It to compete with them.

I'm with you there.  It no longer seems unreasonable.

"Big Smooth"

It was a very nice car, very smooth and quiet, quick too. At the same time Greenman was having a very good driving night, staying in the slot and going like the dickens. Well done Greg.

I vote we lift the NSR ban at least for one class.

Which one?  GT?

"Big Smooth"

wb0s wrote:

I vote we lift the NSR ban at least for one class.

I would nominate the GT class.  These all look they'd fit in well enough there, and it's in the spirit of that being the least-regulated, most inclusive class we run:

http://www.nsrslot.it/index_models.html

Although, if you were feeling saucy, you could down-motor and little-tire one and theoretically be legal in Classics 2.  That would seem like a waste of $'s though in my opinion.

Doc, yes keep the ban?

"Big Smooth"

Do we have a forum feature to have a poll?  Maybe would be better to start a separate thread with a poll or two:

1 - Lift the NSR ban? 
2 - Allow Thunderslots as class legal cars where applicable?

I am in favor of both, but that's what another thread would be better to discuss.  Maybe...

Chris, the forum does not have a poll but the main site does have that feature, we haven't used it for a while.

"Big Smooth"

kidvolt wrote:

Chris, the forum does not have a poll but the main site does have that feature, we haven't used it for a while.

Maybe we just discuss it at the next Odd Thurs then?

839 (edited by Mitch58 June 20, 2017 7:51 am)

Since the "Ban" was always about price rather than performance I did a quick check. Using the GT40 or in the case of Ninco or Thunderslot, something comparable, for an example:

Slot It $60 - $130

Scalextric $50 - $150

Fly $45 - $150

Ninco Corvette, or Jag $80 - $190

NSR $75 - $100 with a couple over $200 ???

Thunderslot $90

So it appears that price alone is no longer an issue, performance is another story. I believe that Fly and Slot it cars can be made competitive, ( Sorry Scalextric, do the best that you can). I have a two Fly 906s that are capable of 7.5s at Al's and I've seen Chris pull a 7.3 with his and that's with 18K motors. I'm sure they can be tuned to run as smooth are we saw Greg run the other night, maybe not by me but I'm sure someone can.

If we are talking about lifting bans we may as well include Racer which is banned in GT class only it appears. The resin body is too heavy to really compete against the others, but they sure are pretty to watch while they are trying.

I really had no intention of creating a hornets nest with my previous comment, I apologize to all.  However, I am opposed to letting Thunderslot and cars like it run in any class other than GT. These cars are purpose built racing machines and not simply toys like Fly, Scalextric and others and they do not compete at the same level. I know we have allowed de-motored, narrow tired cars to run in our Classic class but in my opinion it goes against the intent of the class even if it is within the rules.  Classic Sports cars should not lap faster than modern GT's, Can-Am's, etc.

True Mitch.  The ban was only about price.  Since then things have changed significantly.

I bought my Thunderslot Lola for about $60 as a white kit.

In my opinion we should run classes that allow for low-cost entry as well as those that allow for the higher value offerings.  Otherwise we run the danger of warding off the newer members merely on the shock of the sticker price.

For example, you can run an out-of-the-box Slot.It class that allows for removing the magnet and adding a little weight and you can run a Slot.It class that has a lot less restrictions so that you basically rebuild the chassis to be something other than what came out of the box new.  One is easy for beginners to grasp the other not so much.  Yet from 5 feet away they still seem to use the same cars.

I'm all for allowing most any car to run and I'm also for tighter restrictions.  To me the best racing is when we all have similar setups and it comes down to driving skill.

And as always happens, in time the optimal setup becomes apparent and those with the interest will adopt it.  As an example, how many Baby Kings did we start to see after the narrow little Cobra sprang to life?

"Big Smooth"

842 (edited by docdoom June 30, 2017 4:46 pm)

Another great night of racing at Al's Rippin' Ridin' Raceway. Thanks again for hoisting us Bums. We even had a Bill show up. even if it just to stink up the bathroom for the rest of us and then leave with a smirk on his face. All I can say is more fiber Bill. Jeff was wild man last night. cars were flying right out his normally rock steady hands. mmmmm maybe you should not stopped of at Starbucks for that double shot extra tall Cappuccino before racing. dont hurry Greg said the paint will buff right out. By the way nice job the the vet Greg.

The secondnidator

Indeed, thanks again to Al for hosting an excellent evening of racing.  I don't remember many of the details but I do remember very close finishes and multiple heats with everyone finishing on the same lap.  I know I had a couple tight heats with Al as a neighbor and I think it was Jeff and Al and whoever was in the last lane of that heat on the GT3 race having quite the scrap.  I think it reflects well on the development of the group's collective racing skill and the way we've developed some of the more stock-oriented classes.  It all ends up with some very good racing.  And at the end of the day, that's why we show up.

Well, that and the salmon.

Results from the June 29th race:

GT3
1 Daniel    67.3
2 Al    66
3 Chris    65.8
4 Jeff    65.7
5 Monte    65.7
6 Greg    65
7 Mitch    62.8
8 Amy    58.4

Can Am
1 Chris    72.3
2 Daniel    70.6
3 Al    70
4 Monte    69.5
5 Mitch    68.6
6 Amy    67.5
7 Jeff    66.4
8 Greg    64.6

BRM
1 Al    74.2
2 Chris    72.8
3 Daniel    71.2
4 Monte    71
5 Mitch    65.4

Over 50
1 Mitch    69.5
2 Al    67.5
3 Chris    64.8
4 Monte    61

I had some braid issues at the start of the BRM race and came in last, but after fixing the braid I set a new lap record of 6.8 and some change.

846 (edited by ckouba July 3, 2017 4:41 am)

Also at Al's this past Odd Thurs was continued discussion on lifting the NSR ban.  It seems to be well received to lift the ban for the GT class.  I know we've discussed this for a while now, are we ready to pull the trigger?

It appears that GT is the only class in which they would be otherwise eligible.  Bill is the class sponsor, and in the end probably should get the final call, or at least a say in how the call is made. 

My take?  These cars were originally banned due to cost issues.  It appears that with currency fluctuation, the prices have come down while comparable others seem to have moved up.  There is marginal price difference (if any at all once the lesser brands are competitively tuned) between NSR and any of the other brands we run.  Based on this, I would like to see their exclusion lifted in any class which is appropriate (GT).

(Complicit in this is also to not ban Thunderslot for any of the classes in which they'd be eligible as well)

Chris

I'm fine with lifting the ban.

I'll make the changes in the rules now.

GT Class rules updated - NSR & Racer brand ban removed.

ckouba wrote:

(Complicit in this is also to not ban Thunderslot for any of the classes in which they'd be eligible as well)

Chris

I do NOT agree.  So, if someone wants to win a Classic Sports car or CanAm race they would need to have a Thunderslot in order to have a shot? They are going to dominate from what I've seen and it would make it a one car class which equals: BORING.

In regards to the Thunderslot cars, there are currently no restrictions on that brand in the rules. Let me know if we need to add something.