Topic: Getting Your Tampo Off!

Most of us have tried at one time or another to remove Tampo prints from the cars so you can do a re-paint.  Typically I have been soaking them in Simple Green and then scraping or sanding whatever didn't come off, sometimes even just laying primer over the top and then sanding that down to a smooth finish.

One of the guys in another forum says the best way to get the Tampo off is by soaking them in 91% alcohol, basically rubbing alcohol.

I'm going to give that a try and will report on the results.

"Big Smooth"

Re: Getting Your Tampo Off!

I am (slowly) working on converting a Porsche 917 without the little fins in the back to one with them. I purchased the Fly 917 kit (Buenos Aires) and had to strip the decals/tampo off to get a clean white body. However, soaking in Simple Green for over a week didn't remove a thing. Rubbing alcohol worked with equally bad results. What did the trick for me was rubbing the tampo print with a cotton tip soaked in brake fluid. Make sure you wear gloves as brake fluid sucks the moisture right out of your skin. The body paint is still spotless but the tampo print is gone.

I found this method googling for "stripping model kits" and this was one of the methods. There are videos available showing the process. Supposedly soaking them in lye works great too, but finding lye based cleaners at the (ACE) hardware store was a little challenging. Oven cleaners are usually lye based but I wasn't too sure about the other compounds in it, even though people on the web recommended it for stripping model kits. Using the brake fluid soaked cotton tip I had a little more control over the amount I applied. I left a couple of tampo prints I liked on.

After the brake fluid treatment wash the body in mild soapy water and rinse thoroughly.

I did have another body that had water slide decals on and they came off like a charm using Simple Green.

George

--
"Get the shotgun, Martha. The herd needs a thinnin'." - Bucky Katt

I've found the Simple Green "bath" works on some cars but not on others. If the body has a clear coat Simple Green doesn't work well. I soaked my Carrera Roadrunner Stock Car in Simple Green and it worked great. I soaked a Carrera Corvette with the American Eagle paint scheme and Simple Green didn't touch it as it had a good clear coat. I've used Simple Green in my ultra-sonic cleaner on some of my HO bodies that were repainted, and some Johnny Lightning bodies. In the ultra-sonic cleaner the bodies came out perfect.

I have used oven cleaner on bodies that have been painted to remove the bad paint jobs. If you use oven cleaner keep watch on the process! The stuff is nasty! Very bad odors and fumes! I didn't leave trhe oven cleaner on the body for more than 30 minutes. The key is testing and keeping an eye on the body some the oven cleaner doesn't damage it.

Brake fluid is another product you need to be careful with. If you soak a body in it you again need to keep an eye on it. If left in brake fluid too long the body will suffer damage!

As with ALL chemicals, when using them wear protective gear! That includes eye protection, the proper gloves, and a respirator if the chemical gives off fumes!

------------------Bill

Yes, I did not mean to imply to soak the body in brake fluid.

Pour a little bit of brake fluid in a small cup and soak a Q-tip in the fluid, then rub the Q-tip over the tampo you want to remove.

George

--
"Get the shotgun, Martha. The herd needs a thinnin'." - Bucky Katt

George, I think your method of using small amounts of brake fluid is the wisest. I have soaked HO car bodies in it before, and although it works very well, you need to be very careful as far as how long you leave it  exposed to the brake fluid. Brake fluid (and for that matter oven cleaner) can ruin plastic. So work carefully!

-----------Bill

I have used the brake fluid method for models and it does a good job of removing paint. It will harm some plastics, but most seem to ok.  I also liked the soap and water clean up.  I tried soaking the Joe Dirt car but had limited success and ended up just primering the crap out of it which probably added to the over all effect.  Good ol' Joe finished second place in the November SCX Worldwide repaint contest. One guy said it was hard to make paint look bad on purpose but easy to do a bad paint job.

Rico

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

Nice job on second place!!
You did a great job on that car....
is there a web site or pics of this SCX repaint contest?

I have used the oven cleaner...very toxic....and the clean up is not to easy...and yes you have to watch your time with this stuff.....I will have to try the brake cleaner ......

as for carb cleaner...it will take the paint right off in about 2 seconds...then the plastic starts melting....

"Due to economic cutbacks,the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off"

Bryan- Brake fluid NOT Brake clean.  Good chance brake clean would damage the plastic!  Even with brake fluid it would be best to first try it in an area that does not show. 
You can view the contest at www.scxworldwide.com  Click on link to Racers Lounge and scroll down to November Contest.  It may be on page 2 by now.

Rico

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.