Re: NASTE Odd Thursday Night Racing Rules & Current Thread

The NSR was a freaking rocket.  Did you forget to take the magnet out?

"Big Smooth"

His 917 might me a match for yours. I out ran your Porsche for one heat so Woo Hoo it's not invincible, I just have to put 9 minutes a good driving all into the same race, that's the hard part.

I will admit my NSR Porsche 917 is an awesome car! And it was like that right out of the box. The only thing I have done to the car is pull out the traction magnet, and loosen the body mounting screws and the motor pod screws just a bit. It even has the original treaded tires on it. It was not as fast as Al's NSR Corvette, but it is really smooth and controllable.

Ya know, that car is so smooth that I don't push it, I just drive it around.  It would be fun to see what the trigger-masters like Chris or Flyin' Bryan could do with it.  Probably get another lap or two out of it.  On the plus side, it doesn't come off (see driving style).

But Mitch, your car was flying too.  It seems this class has quickly evolved to some serious speed.

And after seeing Bill's rocket you can see why folks like to buy NSR cars.  Fast as greased lightning right out of the box.

"Big Smooth"

After the motor work I ripped into the chassis...literally. The chassis on wheels sat nice and level. From what I've read online about the Scalextric Bentleys I'm lucky there. I decided to try installing brass side pans instead of using just lead. I removed the molded reinforcement ribs from the chassis to allow for the brass strip. I was surprised at how rigid the chassis was after the removal of the ribs.
http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_7400.jpg

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_7401.jpg

Normally I weigh everything before weight modifications are made but I really had no idea where my scales were. I grabbed a piece of .045" x .5" brass strip and cut two pieces for side pans. I glued the pans in place with super glue. I also took a piece of a lead wheel weight, approximately 1/8 oz., and beat it flat with a hammer. I then bent and formed it to fit under the front axle just behind the guide flag pivot point.
http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_7402.jpg

I used super glue to cement the rear axle plastic bushings in place, and then gave the bushings the super glue shim treatment while the motor rotated the axle at about 1/3 speed. After this the rear axle slop was gone and the running gear was much smoother and quieter. I used a little bit of Goop glue to insure the motor stays in place, and to also help dampen vibration. During today's work I accidently broke one of the wires off of the rear tailight circuit board. I drilled a hole through the solder joint on the circuit board, re-inserted the wire, and resoldered the connection.
http://www.naste.org/members/bill/IMG_7403.jpg

I also removed a little material around the perimeter of the rear of the chassis to try to allow for some body float. I was thinking things were going pretty good but, I was a little concerned about weight. The car now feels a little porky.....And then it happened. While searching for some tools in the attic I found one of my digital scales. On the scale went the Bentley and it weighed in at 114 grams!............CRAP!..........Now I'm not sure that Scalextric motor is gonna push this pig around....Well I guess at this point I will go ahead and finish the car up and just hope for the best. It can't possibly be any worse overall, although it may be even slower...Maybe it will stay in the slot now?

That's all for now. I'm going to look over the rules and see what class I can run this thing in if I re-motor it with something that will actually move it!......

One last note. For some reason while I was working on the Bentley today the old movie Old Yeller came to mind. I seem to remember a scene where the kid is talking to Old Yeller about how the dog eats up the chicken eggs and his father says the dog is worthless. A biscuit eater was the term he used for the dog. Well it looks as though this Bentley may be somewhat worthless as well, a Bentley biscuit eater........Maybe just Bently Biscuit for short...............

Little over kill there Bill with those side pans. maybe do a little weight reduction on the pans.  maybe drill some 3/8 holes maybe, maybe not. hell  you might have gem there. run and lets see.
if you are looking for a replacement try the Mercedes AMG GT3  really good car....

The secondnidator

Thanks for the advice Doc!

I put a WBA 13K motor in my Bentley and added it to the grandkids cars where it was a big hit, it has headlights you know. It now races with a similarly motored Carrera DTM and a couple of Ninco DTMs with NC1s in them. They are all within 1/10th of each other and bring out the competitive beast in 7-10 year olds.

That sounds cool Mitch! My Bentley pig of a car may be competitive with those cars with the stock motor in it!....We'll see at Al's next race.....

Bill these right up your wheel house
https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/clt … 84310.html

The secondnidator

Too valuable as a collector piece to me Doc. That is just Ebay fodder. $95 is probably about all you could get for it on Ebay. The vintage stuff I collect I can throw on the track and take some laps...........once I actually have a track up and running............and I find my cars..............

man are these not just eye popping my wallet going to be taking a hit these year, have these and the few of the revo slots i want to get
https://www.scalextric.com/us-en/shop/n … -team.html
https://www.scalextric.com/us-en/shop/n … -2018.html
https://www.scalextric.com/us-en/shop/n … ripes.html
https://www.scalextric.com/us-en/shop/n … -2018.html

The secondnidator

So I was reading on the other forum and one of our new drivers brought up a good point on the number of classes we run. maybe we need to rethink how we are running our race program. for new guy coming to the club it a little of a surprise and sticker shock to see all the different classes we run. I for one though the same when I 1st started racing with you all. .

The secondnidator

NASTE's number of classes is a direct result of the number of and variety of car offerings, and the disparity in performance between manufacturers. Disparity due to chassis design, motor fitment, and body characteristics. I used to think the 1/24 clubs raced a lot of classes but, they've been racing the same classes for years! In the 1/32 world in one month there can be the potential for two, three, or more classes to be added to the racing list due to the manufacturers latest offerings. One option would be to ban any car manufactured after a certain date, which I don't think is practical or fun. Before TooBad closed I had been considering using a break-out type of race format for some classes. With the computer systems we now use we can set a minimum lap time and if a racer exceeds that that time his or her lap does not get counted. Using this type system could allow racers to race various manufacturer's cars together. In my opinion there are two basic performance factors for the currently manufactured 1/32 cars, motor power/RPM, and chassis design of non-motor pod or motor pod.

To do that effectively you'll want to make different race configurations for the different classes or you'll go crazy trying to get the right breakout in for each class every time.

Frankly, I'm all for this idea.  It offers a reasonable limiting factor to each class.

"Big Smooth"

Take the fastest lap record for the class we are running at the time and use that for starting point.

The secondnidator

I agree that a separate race format for each class would be the way to go. However I don't think the break-out format would need to be used for every class. I'm not sure the lap records currently recorded would be appropriate to use. You would have to verify they are indeed accurate records and not the result of a rider or the performance of a non-spec car, such as a car equipped with a traction magnet or illegal motor. Any official class lap record should be backed up by additional lap times within 5 to 10 percent. There may be enough data already available to verify those lap records.

Plus, Al's track is much faster than even last year. where -7s were almost unheard of a year ago, I ran a 6.22 last Thursday with my Thunderslot. And we now have several Slot Its and NSRs capable of sub 7 times. My Scaley Camaro is capable of 7.3s if I push it to it's limit.

I can run 8 second laps all day long...

I yet yo see these rule in forced
In the event a racer wins more than one race with the same car (thus establishing a pattern of dominance in any class) a vote may be taken of the racers in attendance to determine if the racer will be assessed a handicap (of 1 lap or more) for future races when racing that particular winning car. The handicap only applies to the winning car/driver combination. The racer can de-tune the car with a substantial motor downgrade, or switch to another car to avoid the handicap

The secondnidator

That rule has been enforced but it has never been used in point series races. It was established as a rule to keep the competition as close as possible in the non-points races. Bryan Trachsel was the main recipient of that rule for obvious reasons, but for the most part it was not due to the car's performance. At one point Bryan was assessed a three lap handicap in one of the classes. We had our fun with Bryan for a couple of seasons, but since Bryan quit racing with us no one has dominated like he did, although Chris Kouba has come close. The rule made more sense when there were a lot of newer racers in the group, whereas now we have more skilled racers. I think the majority of the racers in the NASTE group now, have been racing together long enough that they have all  improved their skills to the point where most anyone can win a race. If the majority is OK with removing it I will take it off the list.

So it was a Zeus rule....

The secondnidator

And as we found out it didn't much matter what car Bryan was racing.  But we did have some fun with him.

"Big Smooth"

What else would you expect from a racing venue know as Too Bad?...............

docdoom wrote:

So I was reading on the other forum and one of our new drivers brought up a good point on the number of classes we run. maybe we need to rethink how we are running our race program. for new guy coming to the club it a little of a surprise and sticker shock to see all the different classes we run. I for one though the same when I 1st started racing with you all. .

So, just now catching up on this thread so pardon me if I'm late to the party.

Yes, we have a lot of classes, but there is a reason.  We now have three different flavors of the class formerly known as GT because people (not random people on the internet, but US racers who are actually showing up and racing) wanted to have era-compatible cars running on the track at the same time.  We have the unlimited or open class because T-slots can outrun just about anything out of the box and we like T-70's and bought a couple.  We have the Le Mans class because we all have a bunch of slow and crappy Fly and Scaley cars which we could never teach to compete with Slot.It's or T-slots but wanted a class in which to run them...  There is a specific reason for just about each and every one of the classes we have, and I think that the group consensus which concocted them should probably be respected.

Instead of cutting back the number of classes or worrying about making sure a new participant has a car for each class, I think it'd make more sense to offer them some guidance as to which classes are truly in the regular rotation and which cars they should be serious about acquiring.  Then we help get them set up for success, and meanwhile, let them run whatever it is that they do bring if they've already bought something. 

And when we run a class where they don't have a car for at all, someone else reaches in their box and pulls out one to loan them. 

Like this group always has...