Topic: Replacing Scalextric guide flags

I have found the current Scalextric standard guide flag to be prone to failure. I'm talking about the circular style flag with the quick-on/quick-off braid discs. There seems to be two main issues with this design:

1) the easy of dislodging the braid disc from the base and loosing electrical connectivity,
2) the relative brittleness of the plastic used for the base causing irreparable damage in even modest crashes.

Issue #1 can be solved by gluing (or gooping) the braid disc to the base, but issue #2 is more serious and cannot be fixed with glue or goop. After my most recent crash exhibiting issue #2 I contacted Scalextric and suggested they redesign their flags using a tougher (chewier if you will) type of plastic. I am told my suggestion has been passed on to the engineers back at Hornby in England.

Until then, I'd like to start replacing my guide flags with something more sturdy. In my experience it seems the Slot-It brand guide flags hold up better in (violent) crashes but have their own issues with electrical connectivity, although this can be solved with glue or solder. I don't have enough (practically nil) experience with Fly or Ninco brand flags and I think the Carrera flags may be too bulky to fit in a Scalextric car.

So my questions to you are.

1) Do you have any experience replacing these Scalextric guide flags?
2) What brand and model guide flag did you use for the replacement?
3) Are there any tips and tricks you'd like to share?

Thanks!

George

--
"Get the shotgun, Martha. The herd needs a thinnin'." - Bucky Katt

Re: Replacing Scalextric guide flags

I posted this question to the SlotForum site and I received a very detailed answer with pictures to boot.

http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.p … p;p=438399

George

--

Very cool stuff George.  Those Scaley guides really do suck.  I fixed up Victoria's Subie that had the blue guide blade using a Slot.It universal with the screw.

"Big Smooth"

I'll check the fit of a Ninco (I think I have one Ninco car) or the Universal Guide from Slot-It. I should have one of those in my HRS chassis.

I also tried to reuse the blue Scalextric guide flags as they are made from a better type of plastic and screw it in because the blue ones are prone to pop out if not secured. Alas, I didn't have the right screw and the blue flag popped out after the screw flew out on the track.

I'll keep you posted....

George

--

Last night I tested a Ninco spring loaded guide flag and a Slot-It universal guide flag from an HRS-1 chassis. The Ninco is a really tight fit so I will need to drill out the guide post a little (I haven't done this). The Slot-It is a little too big in the front and will require a little sanding on the front edge to make it fit the hole (I haven't done this either). I just ordered a TSP1 guide flag from Professor Motor. This is listed as a replacement flag for Scalextric.

George

--

6 (edited by reek455 May 28, 2009 10:08 am)

George- I agree that the Scaley guide flag set up is not the best, but I have several older Scaley cars that use it and have had no problems.  There are several posts on SCI that deal with the issues you mention.  Scalextric is aware that the Chinese manufacturer is possibly using a more brittle plastic than what is spec'd and are looking into the matter.  Several people have contacted Scalextric USA and have recieved replacement chassis, however you must be persistant.  This is one of the reasons we are going to run the SCX Nascar instead of the Scalextric ones.  Several chassis broke during testing on simple spin outs, and proved not durable enough for Randy's liking. 

Rico

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

I think we pretty much had our fill of the Scaley cars at the Enduro.  We tried running them in the dark and as the race went on they all just got slower until it was mostly hammer down all the way around.  My opinion is that their cars lack personality.  They all pretty much drive the same.

"Big Smooth"

I guess this post says it all.

http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/porta … stcount=14

George

--

Yes, that's pretty clear.

"Big Smooth"

Here's the latest I received from Scalextric.

"It appears that there was some "suspect" material used in a batch of guideblades. They got mixed in with others and are next to impossible to differentiate. The ones i sent you should be of a slightly different material and should be more durable. It seems like there was a batch of a few different production cars that ended up with the "bad" blades. Now it seems like they have worked their way through the supply chain. But we shall see. The engineers in the UK are trying to ride better herd over the production aspect and are also exploring different options."

I have four JGTC cars that I'd plan to use for the digital racing and will probably replace those with Ninco or Slot-It guides.

George

--