Topic: Slot.it motor pod modifications.

Alright guys, I have made some significant progress on the speed of my slot.it cars lately. I thought I would post up a couple of the main "breakthroughs" I have had.

Flattening the chassis is a given on these cars, nearly every one I have done they are significantly tweaked. But also the motor pod should be done at the same time. I simply install magnets in all three positions on the pod and stick it down to the flat bar, the same process to the chassis is used.

What I learned after doing this, is that when you screw the motor down (as you should) it tends to tweak the pod pretty severely after it has been flattened. I have started slowly sanding material out of the motor holder on both sides until the pod sits completely flat. And then screwing and gluing the motor in place.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7871/46441300155_df4639c7bf_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7800/46441300205_1a1c86ff2d_b.jpg

After this is done I sand a small amount of material off of the bushing holder, so that the gear, shims, or wheel rides directly on the bushing itself instead of the plastic. This seems to remove a good amount of drag when cornering. After I have the bushings back in, I use the axle to align the bushing gently until the drag on the axle in minimized, and then put drops of CA glue through the slots to hold the bushing. BEWARE, this is a permanent mod so I would use new bushings if its a used car!

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7816/46441300115_e9ec92660a_b.jpg

This is one of the things that powered my slot.it cars into the 6.1's at Al's recently. Not too time consuming and the results are there!

Zack

Re: Slot.it motor pod modifications.

Thanks for posting Zack!

After you finishing sanding on the pod in the motor area, does the motor still fit really tight, or does it allow for the motor to drop in more easily? Just trying to get an idea of how much material to remove.

I just test it every now and then when removing material. A couple I didnt have to remove much so the motor clipped in pretty solid. On this car i had to take a lot before the pod would sit flat with the motor it. It basically drop in and relies on the screws and glue to hold it.

I should have said, when I glue the motor and axle bushings in....I leave it magneted down to the plate as it all cures.

Zack

There was a detailed post on one of the forums with all that and more.  It was quite a detailed list.  Chris Guy maybe?

Do I spy tungsten weights in that pod?  Been thinking about those lately.

And speaking of Slot.It, what is our position on the new 21.5 motor that is more like 23k?

"Big Smooth"

I can detail more items for prep, was just going one at a time. That is actually sheet lead folded three time over in those slots and shoe goo'd in.

I can post weight layout as well.

I have never ran the new motor, I think i have one of the ones your talking about though i will.have to tach it.

Every slot.it 21.5 I have revs more than that after break-in however.

I wrote a whole long post on prepping this car start to finish, but i got logged out and lost it. So i will just break it up!

Zack

Zack, I love these "how to" articles! Done a few myself, of course I'm not known for my building or tuning skills! Please keep them coming! Someday when I get done with the new track and get the shop somewhat organized I will be back to buildin' cars!

It can be troublesome when you write a long, detailed post.

Always best to copy all the text prior to submitting so if you get timed out, you can log in again and quickly post it.

You can also try the back button to see if it will retrieve it for you.

And Bill...  not the tuner or builder.  HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.  Bill...  builder of tracks, builder of wonderful Halloween cars, builder of the Bostic Bullet (AKA the O-Ring Ford that drove a certain track owner wild).  Not the tuner or builder.  HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Go work on your track Bill.  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.  You kill me.

"Big Smooth"

I’m with Monte on this Bill.  What you said was pretty laughable.

RICO

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

You guys are giving me WAY too much credit!

reek455 wrote:

I’m with Monte on this Bill.  What you said was pretty laughable.

RICO

Come on guys, most of what Bill says is laughable.

Bill Bostic AKA "The Sand Bagger".

Actually I am known for bagging lead!