Re: What next?

I can't claim I know a lot about the slot car hobby and what makes drivers tick. I can only share my feelings and opinions about the hobby.

Personally, I have always enjoyed racing in any format whether it be IROC, my own box stock or build my own from parts. As my current season standings show I'm not very good at building my own (nor a fast driver but that's beside the point). So to be competitive I see box stock or IROC as the cheaper alternative. since we are all on a budget, either large or small, the IROC option is the most cost-effective and fair system to determine the best driver. Especially when the controllers are IROC as well.

I do agree that a flat fee for the occasional driver is pretty steep and I would like to propose that those members pay a per night fee (say $5) for the use of the car each night they race. This would also allow newcomers to try out the club for a modest contribution. If it turns out that one can attend more races than previously anticipated we could cap the fee at a certain point (say $30) after which you are considered to be caught up with the people who paid the proposed $25 in advance to cover the cost of development of the cars. I think there are enough hardcore members that know they can attend pretty much every race that getting the initial development capital is not a problem.

Since most of us have either RTR cars or like to bring newly developed cars to run we COULD race those as a secondary race after the club IROC race. Since most cars will not be comparable we would need to figure out a handicapping system based on a number of parameters (magnet, motor, tires, weight, speed, body style, size?) to adjust the lap counts so they can be meaningfully compared to one another to determine a winner.

Just some thoughts I'd like to share.

George

--
"Get the shotgun, Martha. The herd needs a thinnin'." - Bucky Katt

George-  After hearing/reading/feeling some of the initial feedback I thought of virtually the same idea but I was going to cap at $25.00.  So a first timer would pay the race fee of $2.00 plus a car rental of $5.00.  This is assuming that the original $250.00 cost is met.  Let's hear from some people on this......
Rico

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

I suggested a higher cap to "deter" people from going the incremental route. Or you can say that paying up front gives you a discount.

George

--
"Get the shotgun, Martha. The herd needs a thinnin'." - Bucky Katt

What are the real reasons for going to an IROC format? I agree with George about the IROC format levelling the playing field. It is a good way to ensure the equality of the equipment. So is the other consideration of IROC at BSCC actually cost? If so why not use cars that cost less than $50 each? There are many to chose from!  --------------------Bill

Bill- You make a valid point, but if you read down through this post that there is little agreement on what type of car to run, so what options does that leave?  An IROC series certainly is not the only answer and I for one like to know how the car I'm running is prepared which an IROC series precludes. I believe that you feel the same way, but as a NASTE administrator you must certainly understand some of the reasons the IROC choice was made.  I'm sure that cost was a consideration, but not the only one.  I know that I spent quite a lot of dollars on this slot.it series for upgrades and repairs.  Having to spend less for these types of things leaves more money for other cars or whatever and is certainly welcome in my opinion.
Thanks for listening
Rico

Well the good news is Randy has a great bunch of people racing at his place and I'm sure whatever you guys settle on will present some exciting racing!  ----------------------Bill

Ignorance is bliss and I outta know...........

I've found out from doing a LOT of racing, it's not what you're racing, it's who you're racing with that makes it fun!!!!  ---------------------Bill

Well put and that's why I hope you continue to come out and join us at the Field.

Rico

Thanks Rico, and yes I'll be out from time to time. There's just so much racing going on all around now that I can't make time for everything. In the past I haven't done any racing at all during the summer. These last couple of years I've worked in a bit more, but it's put me behind on everything else. Right now I'm just trying to make sure everything is set for the upcoming NASTE season. I keep telling myself one of these years I'm going to just race with some of the other clubs. For quite a few years I've been wanting to make more OSCAR races. The OSCAR races take more time and dedication for me. I'm not a fast car builder, and as you know I like to be at least somewhat competetive. So that means lots of time commitment for me to race the OSCAR events (again that's me). That's the one thing that has made the 1/32 scale cars so enjoyable for me. I can get the cars set up or built much quicker than I can build 1/24 OSCAR or PASER cars. The 1/24 NASTE cars have also filled a "time gap" for me. They are pretty quick and easy to build as well. Well, enough ramblin' on. I'll see you at the races!  ------------------------Bill