Topic: Model Car Swap Meet

Yesterday I went to the local model swap meet with Bryan and Kathy. It didn't seem like there were as many vendors as last year, but it was still worth my time. Besides seeing a couple old friends I hadn't seen in awhile (Mike Bell and Steve Belk) I met a new slot car enthusiast. It alwaya amazes me when I meet a real enthusiast who is not aware of the local slot car groups. At any rate I hope he takes the time to shoot me an email so we can resume our conversation!

So, back to the swap meet. I saw a whole lot of old collectible model kits and built cars! I passed on a mint Cox Cheetah MODEL box (not the slot car box). It was the size of the old AMT boxes with great box art! The box was $10 and include the original decal sheet (probably wasn't a bad deal, I'm just cheap!). So what did I pick up you might ask? My first purchase was a new Tamiya Toyota 84C 1/24 model kit for $10. The body will be mounted on a Schoeler chassis to be raced at Rapid Raceway in Howie's True Scale GT1 class. Then I found a built 1/32 AMT '63 Corvette split window coupe for $5. The model was missing the front and rear bumpers, however when I got it home and compared it to a Carrera 1/32 '67 Corvette coupe slot car, I found the bodies to be almost identical in size and detail. So it looks like the AMT Vette will get the Carrera's bumpers and chassis. It should make a great one off! At the end of one of the tables I found a built 1/24 AMC Matador stock car. I was seriously UGLY, painted in kind of a pinkish-purple color! It was built as a dirt type of stock car with opened up wheelwells and nerf bars front and rear (perfect for an Econo car type chassis). I handed over the $4 and stuffed it in my bag. My final purchase was for a bag of model parts I had been considering for most of the time I was wondering around the tables. It was a large zip lock bag with what appeared to be most of an IMC 1/25 Ford GT model. It was obvious the model was built and complete at one time. It was also obvious it was an amateur build, the body was not painted but with the decals had been applied. Also in the bag were parts of what appeared to be another IMC Ford GT. I succumbed to the need, desire, shear want and handed over the $10. When I got home and investigated I found the one IMC GT40 to be complete and a good prospect for a slot car body. Also in the bag of parts I found the parts for another GT40 body, only missing the headlight lenses. I even have an extra set of doors, and an extra roof section. The second body I believe is a later version with a slightly different rear engine cover that has an extra pair of scoops in the quarter panels, and a pair of scoops on top of the deck lid. There it is, $29 bucks worth of stuff I don't need plus the $3 to get in....................the fun I had was worth the $32!!!   -----------------------Bill

Re: Model Car Swap Meet

Yes there were not as many good deals there this time like usual. We did get some great racing prints from Mike Bell and I picked up a few model kits.....the best deal of the day for me was a 1/24 Tamiya porsche 962 for only $10.  Bill kept pushing me out of the way when i started looking at something cool...

"Due to economic cutbacks,the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off"