Topic: Low budget cars

I just wanted to take the opportunity to express how much fun low tech slot cars can be.  My friend and I have been racing Artin stockers on my home track, 4' x 8'.  This is a pretty low budget affair.  I have done nothing to the cars as far as any tuning.  I'm sure the tires aren't perfectly round, the front axles are to wide, etc. etc.  I guess my point is, if two or more can agree to a setup, any car can be fun to race.  We both have scratch built club cars for a club in Eugene.  These are definitely high performance, and is a much more serious type of racing.  But I wouldn't say they are any more fun than the cars and track at home.

I'm probably not telling anybody anything they don't already know.  But if you are just starting out, two "good natured" racers can have alot of fun on most any kind of setup.

Finishing second, isn't much better than finishing at all........  (I believe a David Pearson quote)

Re: Low budget cars

You are right on the mark as far as I'm concerned! Building low buck cars and creating low budget classes is a real challenge but very rewarding! Our 1/24 NASTE chassis cars were based on this principle. Simple brass chassis, cheap Radioshack ($5) motors, and hard rubber model airplane tires (they never wear out). And as you stated they are still one of the most fun classes we race!!!! Thanks for your perspective!!!  ----------Bill