One more race with Le Mans class cars for points then it is on to GT3 Class races for points. My GT3 car SUCKS! My Scalextric Bentley GT3 handles terribly! Good news is it is SLOW!........So this afternoon I decided to take a closer look at it. After removing the body the first thing I noticed is the plastic rear axle bushings are not equipped with ROUND holes. The axle flops around like a 1/2 inch pipe inside 2 inch pipe. This definitely needs some work. After connecting the motor to my Big Boy power supply I noticed the motor pitch changing like Boy George's rendition of Karma Chameleon.....My initial thought was to throw this piece of crap away, but then I remembered I would have to buy something else, and this car was CHEAP.....After some consideration I decided to break the motor in and see how it worked after some run time. I took the motor out of the chassis and connected it to my Big Boy power supply. After three hours at 6 volts the hiccups and pitch changes were gone......Side note: there may have been just a little motor "work" done before the break in. With the motor break in done, tomorrow if I make time I will start to work on that rear axle setup to try and eliminate it swapping holes!
This is the Big Boy power supply. My friend Dana Denton gave me this power supply about 20 years ago. If I remember correctly his uncle had built it from scratch. I have never misplaced it, even in my recent move because the damn thing weighs about 60 pounds! It is not a variable power supply, but it has fixed outputs of varying voltages. It features a pair of large cooling fans to prevent it from overheating. I love it! Thanks again Dana - still using it after 20 years!
Here's the crappy Scalextric Bentley GT3 motor powered up at 6 volts.




















