Re: NASTE Odd Thursday Night Racing

So Doc, should I amend the GT3 rules to allow the replacement of the stock spur gear with a Slot.it brand spur gear with the same number of teeth? How many teeth are on the stock spur gear?

27 (edited by docdoom February 3, 2018 6:45 pm)

11/36 is the stock gearing, lets hold off and see if the rest of the guys are ok with it 1st before will put it down in black and white

The secondnidator

OK Doc, just let me know.

Looks like every one I talked to and showed at Monties was ok with the rule change.just need make clear it is only the gear that can be changed. Must use stock bushing axle and rims. Same gear ratio  must be used

The secondnidator

GT 3 rules updated. Take a look Doc and see if it looks OK. Let me know if it doesn't.

======Bill

Looks good to me thanks

The secondnidator

Okay, I have a question vis-a-vis the GT class. I have a couple of Panoz Esperantes that I love the look of, but as front -motored cars, they suck at performance. Olifer makes a 3D chassis for Slot-It pod (sidewinder) that fits with some interior modification. Stock motor can be used (18K), so it's not overpowered. Would a car set up like this be legal? If not, there is a thread on SlotCarIllustrated (http://slotcarillustrated.com/portal/fo … hp?t=99079) that shows how a fella from Oz modified his to take a sidewinder using the original chassis (no pod).

Thoughts?

Stan, as far as I can tell from your description your Panoz would be legal for the GT class with the Olifer chassis. Pretty much anything goes in the current GT class except Thunderslots.

Agreed.  Build it, let's see it go!

"Big Smooth"

Will do. I love the Panozes (Panii?). They're so ugly they're beautiful.

So true Stan. Their beauty is in the eyes of the bewildered........or blind.........or something along those lines............

Doors + roof and not Thunderslot = GT legal.

Go for it!

So I have been breaking in my motors by running them in wd40 at low voltage and then flushing them out and reinstalling them.most of the motors end up running remarkable better than they did before the break in. I have been doing these since my rc days. So is these ok to do or not.was brought up at the last race night.

The secondnidator

IMHO that's just part of tuning. It's something that anybody is capable of doing. I've done similar things sometimes successfully sometimes not so much. I've had similar success putting a new car on the track at 5 or 6 volts and letting it run for a couple of hours.

There are a hundred different things you can do to tune a car and just because there might be one I don't care to do doesn't mean I can say the next guy can't. That would be like me saying I don't want to glue and sand my tires so nobody else gets to. Or me not having a tire razor and saying that nobody gets to use one.

For me that's the best part of this hobby, the tinkering, experimenting, and fussing about. The rest is just running around in circles.

Well put Mitch!

My personal take on things is the less restriction, the better off we are.  Once we make rules, we (theoretically) need to figure out how to enforce them as well.  Less rules = more enjoyment.  Let's all just get together and play!

I also don't think I could have summed it up any better than Mitch.  Doc put the prescription for his break in process in multiple places on the forum here.  Like his results?  Go try it...  I know I should.

Sharing our tuning tricks is how we ALL go faster.  I know if someone is struggling with a car, we all try stuff from our little bag of tricks to see what may help.  This one seems like a no brainer!  Not sure why I haven't done it yet.

ok then party on.

The secondnidator

All right! I'm going to down gun my Classic Sports cars to make sure they're spec, where's it written about the 14K motors?

Greenman62

Greg: go to page 1 of this section, and scroll down to class vintage I, and other class's for updated rules/changes.

Question re: DTM cars. I have some SCX DTM cars; they are not Carerras, but may be comparable. Would it be possible to race them instead in the DTM class?

You can run them if you like but they will be considerably slower.

"Big Smooth"

If I replace SCX dull throbbing slow motors with something Carrera comparable?

Might not be so easy to do that.  I can just loan you a car to use.

"Big Smooth"

I’ll bring one (SCX) along next time to see how it does, and you can tell me if it has a chance

Stan,
They all have a chance, just how much are you willing to tinker.
I have an old Scalextric DBR1 with about 50% slot It parts, it runs pretty good for an old Scaley.