Topic: Georgia Trip & Slot Cars

We are in Marietta Georgia right now, just outside of Atlanta. Weather here has been warm, but we have seen a little rain and one very intense thunder storm when we were in Florida. We spent a few days visiting Savanna Georgia and then down to Daytona Florida. It was about 1100 miles driving round trip. Seems like you can drive to see a lot here. Daytona was way cool! We took a 2 hour tour of the speedway that only cost $23! We also walked on the east coast beach, and saw pelicans. Yesterday we drove up to Tennessee for the day and toured Ruby Falls, a 145 foot water fall in a cave that is 1100 feet below the top of Lookout Mountain. From a lookout point on top of the mountain you can see 7 different states! There are old cannon batteries on top of the mountain from the civil war.

On the way back from Tennessee we stopped and checked out a few antique malls. Antiques back here are REALLY OLD, compared to what you see around Oregon. And there is a lot more of it! I guess that's why the prices on most antiques seem more reasonable here. So, Diane and I are almost done going through this SUPER big antique mall, the biggest one we have ever seen, and I comment that even as big as it is I have not seen any slot cars. Diane was just in front of me as she turned the corner on another isle and said; "I think you are going to have to eat your words". As I turned the corner I spotted a large display case FULL of slot cars. Old 1/24 cars, old 1/32 cars, and some newer 1/32 cars as well as full sets in HO and 1/32. The sets were all newer, but there were a bunch of them. I quickly fetched one of the mall atendees and had her open the case for me. All the old 1/24 cars were in very good shape, and all were priced at $30 or $40 dollars. Most we lexan bodies cars, Russkit chassis, BZ chassis, etc. So you may wonder what I snatched up? I got a 1/24 Cox Cheetah for $30. It has the usual amount of "fuzz" on the chassis and wheels, but it is only missing the windows and headlight covers. All the chrome parts are excellent, it has the original wheels and tires, the body is uncut and unbroken, and the front lower chin piece is in place. I didn't even try to dicker on the price. But for the real score, I picked up two 1/32 Revell bodies. A few of you are aware I've been searching for a good Revell 289 AC Cobra for a couple years, only to find a couple cut up examples. Well, sitting on the shelf above the 1/24 Cox Cheetah was a bare 1/32 Revell AC Cobra body. It was missing all the parts such as headlights, taillights, and windshield, but the body is nearly perfect and totally uncut! There is only a small dab of glue on the trunk lid, which should be easily removed! Next to the Cobra was a 1/32 Revell orange Cooper body, complete and in perfect shape! How much you may ask? I got the Cooper body for $5, and the Cobra body for $3. SCORE! I love Tennessee!!!!

-----------------------Bill

Re: Georgia Trip & Slot Cars

I reckon ya'll are having a good time.  You passed on the Russkit, arghh...

Look forward to seeing the finds.

"Big Smooth"

The Russkit didn't have the original body, and the chassis was missing some parts and was rough...........

As always, I trust your judgement.  Too bad...  mine could use a few original parts it seems.

"Big Smooth"

Well, there's always a chance I may have some extra parts. And I believe I may have another complete car. I've been finding some stuff I didn't remember I had while cleaning up my upstairs room. And you know how I like to do trades!!!

I would be more amazed if you could remember all that was there.  Although finding the tires for that weird little car I had was rather impressive.

"Big Smooth"

I have my moments.....not many, but a quality few.................

Sounds like an action packed trip and lots of fun, color me jealous.

Rico

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.