Re: NASTE Odd Thursday Night Racing

None from me, we just want everybody to be on the same page, so we can avoid future incidents like we had the other night.

We need to remember even when we de-slot or get nerfed or when the Marshal fumbles our car and we feel that emotional burst coming on that we are not in the back room of some hobby shop or in a Tavern. We are in someone's home, by invitation.

ckouba wrote:

Upon further reflection, I would like to stay true to the original intent of the era-based buckets and say that a fleet of Can Am cars competing together in PGE is consistent with those objectives.  I don't see a need to alter the rules as they were originally drafted.

The only change I might consider is bringing the 1968 start date back to 1965.  That year was originally selected because that's where the Classics class used to cut off, but that has now moved to 1964.  It might add an interesting car or two into the mix- the Cobra, GT350 Mustang, earlier Corvette, 250 GTO, 250 LM, 365, 330, etc... so I will still propose it here.  Any thoughts?  Any objections?

Chris

I am good with this!

Zack

Mitch58 wrote:

None from me, we just want everybody to be on the same page, so we can avoid future incidents like we had the other night.

We need to remember even when we de-slot or get nerfed or when the Marshal fumbles our car and we feel that emotional burst coming on that we are not in the back room of some hobby shop or in a Tavern. We are in someone's home, by invitation.

So very true Mitch. Sometimes we all forget that little fact..

The secondnidator

79 (edited by docdoom September 7, 2021 5:45 pm)

rules rules rules.  here i sit laid up in bed with my back messed up and nothing better to do than surf the nest and such...
I'm thinking we should drop the no Thunderslot rule for Can Am. thinking the reason behind it at the time was good but we are running times with current non Thunderslot cars running Thunderslot times.   now nsr has the 917k that is a legal car per the rules. after all can am in real life was balls to the walls almost anything goes kind of racing. 
yes we all put alot of work. well Zack did in getting these slot cars to perform. and  I would understand if we do not... but also think it would help new racers get up to speed faster. .

The secondnidator

You haven't driven my Thunderslot Lola lately. Solid 5.6s on  my track all day long, I'll try to remember to bring it to Al's on Thursday.

81 (edited by docdoom March 16, 2022 4:46 pm)

more rule talk/class talk
f1 is a mess
I think we need to make some adjustment with all these new cars that have come out in the last few years
we should break them down by decade
class 1 f1 cars that ran from 1980 down. that would be the Policar classics and scaly legends cars ect
class 2 would be 1980 to 1997 and world be the nsr and scalauto cars for example
class 3 would be from 1998 to current and would be all the modern style f1 cars such as the POLICAR F1 MONOPOSTO and other brands
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0271/ … 1633525997 class 3
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0271/ … 1616686139 class 2
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0271/ … 1603900578 class 1

The secondnidator

Class 0.5 for the Cartrix Classics and the Scaley Classics would be a better class.  None of those thin tire Scaley's will compete with the Poli's.  The Cartrix typically have wider tires but slower motors.  The Polis are just faster/better.

I think all the classics are dated prior to 1970.  Perhaps a pre-70 class and a 70's to 80's class for those wider bodied Fly cars for example that would have run against the Poli's.

"Big Smooth"

83 (edited by docdoom March 16, 2022 6:56 pm)

that might work but i was thinking that most of the racers are going to run the podded cars over the non-podded anyways so that why I posted what I did. I think those cars all became shelf queens once everybody saw how the podded cars ran. the ,5 could just group all the non-podded together and keep it simple. i  don't see many guys running those anymore. I for one have retired all of mine.

The secondnidator

New/more classes? That's going to be a hard sell.

This class started as a '50s open wheel class with Scalextric and Cartrix cars mixed in with a few scratchbuilds using Strombecker and Monogram bodies.

The modern stuff kept creeping in like a cancer.

85 (edited by docdoom March 17, 2022 11:17 am)

No just redoing the one we have a spitting it up like we did gt class. so like cars are racing like cars. we already seen how the nsr compare to Policar's..  I would love to see those older car race but lets face it that is not going to happen if they have to run with podded cars.  . . taking all of these ..

Class 5 - F1
.**This class will be raced with cars compliant to the NASTE Formula 1 Challenge Rules where applicable. For class divisions not listed in and covered by the NASTE Formula 1 Rules, cars must comply to the rules as outlined in those separate divisions

Modifications:
Any modifications not listed below are not allowed. Cars found to not be in compliance will be crushed, burned and bagged prior to their return.

• Tires – any brand but must maintain the same size/profile. Absolutely no chemical doctoring of the tires.
(Track hosts should specify preferred tire choices.)
• Ballast – allowed.
• Traction magnets must be removed.
• Cartrix - allowed upgrades: 3/32 axles, aluminum wheels of original size, crown gear.
• Motors may be glued in place.
• Axle bushings may be glued in place

Divisions:

Cartrix Classic Division - (CCD)
Porsche 804
Talbot-Lago
Aston Martin DBR4
Vanwall
Lancia-Ferrari D50
Gordini T32
Maserati 250F F
BRM P-25
Lotus 16

Scalextric Historic Division - (SHD)
Cooper Climax
Ferrari 375
Ferrari 156 Sharknose
Maserati 250F
Vanwall

Scalextric Vintage Division - (SVD)
Lotus 49
Eagle
Lotus 49b high wing
McLaren m7c low wing
Brabham BT26/3
*this class has 19 or 20mm dia x 10mm wide rear tires - measured at contact patch
Early Nostalgic Division - (END) (Scalextric, Fly, Etc. - early '70s cars)
Lotus 72 type cars
Tyrell 002 & 003 type cars

*this class has 22mm dia x 12mm wide rear tires - measured at contact patch.
* list of cars is not all inclusive - others may be added to list in future

Mid Nostalgic Division - (MND) (Scalextric, Fly, Etc. - mid '70s cars)
Ferrari 312t2 low wing
McLaren m23 low wing
*this class has 18mm dia x 15.5 wide rear tires - measured at contact patch.
*list of cars is not all inclusive - others may be added to list in future

Modern Division - (MD)
Scalextric A1 GP
*list of cars is not all inclusive - others may be added to list in future

Scratchbuilt Narrow Division - (SND)
Open to scratchbuilt F1 cars with narrow rear tires

Scratchbuilt Wide Tire Division - (SWD)
Open to scratchbuilt F1 cars with wide rear tires.
** Clarification added 9/4/2015
AND just making it one class all non-podded class 0.5
and the rest
class 1 f1 cars that ran from 1980 down. that would be the Policar classics
class 2 would be 1980 to 1997 and world be the nsr and scalauto cars for example
class 3 would be from 1998 to current and would be all the modern style f1 cars such as the POLICAR F1 MONOPOSTO and other brands
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0271/ … 1633525997 class 3
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0271/ … 1616686139 class 2
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0271/ … 1603900578 class 1

The secondnidator

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for here Doc.

I am not a proponent of major changes to an existing class due to newly released cars with superior performance. Those changes legislate older cars out of competition. There may be a time when someone wants to race just the older cars and you would end up with a need to rewrite the rules for something you already had. I think if new cars are released or introduced which don't fit into the existing rules, new classes should be made just for them with specific rules.

What it looks like to me is that you are proposing classes for the newer style F1 chassis with motor pods? It looks like two of them, Class 2 and Class 3, based on the years the cars were raced? As far as all the other existing classes, why change them if you're not planning to race them anyway?

The existing classes were used to not only divide the cars by slot car performance standards but also by types based on the years they were raced. There are MANY types of F1 slot cars made with varying degrees of performance. That's why there are so many classes for them (something I really hate about 1/32 model car racing! Which is a whole 'nother story!).

87 (edited by docdoom March 17, 2022 11:18 am)

Just trying to stream line the class rules.  Just thought it be easier to split the podded cars off from the non prodded  cars. But we can continue  with what we are doing. The racers will end up running what is faster and the guys in it for the looks of the older cars will run what they want. Since we don't run these class as a points race. I guess Leave it alone..

The secondnidator

When we first started racing 1/32 cars at TooBad Motorplex my goal was to make the rules and classes as simple as possible. Modifications were limited to keep costs down. As new cars were released from the ever increasing number of different manufacturers it became harder and harder to put classes together with equal competition as the goal. Car classes are usually established by type or style of car body, and chassis and motor performance. There are so many variations now, to me it only makes sense to base classes on 1. manufacturer/brand and 2. body style. If you want to race NSR F1 cars, the class should be the NSR F1 Class. The way it has become, racers have to buy a $40 to $80 car for a class, then add another $50 in parts to make it competitive. And then in 6 months or a year someone buys a NEW car some manufacturer just released and what was good is now obsolete.

For myself, my interest has shifted to 1/24. Not just because the track I now have is best suited for those cars, but also because I have somewhat lost my taste for 1/32. I'm tired of constantly chasing different classes and rules. With the local 1/24 racing I am still racing some of the same cars I was racing 20 years ago!....Literally!! I built quite a few cars for racing 1/32, but when I check my box for a car to run in the next race, I either have nothing that fits the class, or what I have that's close is nowhere close to competitive (and thanks, but I do not like borrowing cars). I'm trying to get rid of 1/32 cars. Not buy more!

Monte you have PM

The secondnidator

New member added.  I sent you PM, let me know if you can't find it.

"Big Smooth"

got it thanks

The secondnidator

I've updated the RevoSlot GT rules to include the Toyota GT1.

Also changed Revo Slot to RevoSlot.  (details matter) wink

"Big Smooth"