Topic: SCX Divisional Qualifier for 2009 National Championship

We have been invited to put on an SCX Divisional Qualifier for their 2009 National Championship series that culminates in Philadelphia in early November.  Randy has generously agreed to provide Marshall Field for the event.

Here's a link to the official information

Basically the series is for SCX GT cars running without magnets.  There are some minor modifications allowed.  The top four finishers qualify for the finals in Philadelphia.  Whether any of us would actually go is another story, but at least we get the prestige of having an event and creating our own regional qualifiers.

SCX will also offer prizes.

The event date is now set for:

September 19 at Marshall Field

As noted below, you must use the stock 9:27 gear ratio but you can use the Pro Crown Gear. 

Hand-out motors and tires will be provided at the event.

Motors will be the RX-42B. 
Tires will be the Slot.It SIPT17.

"Big Smooth"

Re: SCX Divisional Qualifier for 2009 National Championship

First I think we need to find out how many people are commited to the Regional race?  AJ and I are interested plus Monte, that's only three.  How many do we need to have to run a successful qualifier? I would think somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-12 racers.  So let's hear from you people!\

Rico

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

I'd race, but if I'd win (fat chance) I won't have time to go to PA. So I would race to be a road block for the fast drivers.

George

--
"Get the shotgun, Martha. The herd needs a thinnin'." - Bucky Katt

George, I'm not sure how many of us would actually go.  We race for fame, glory and prizes.  That just about covers it.

"Big Smooth"

Victoria will have a car too.

"Big Smooth"

I'm sorry Victoria- I should have known better!

Rico

So I read in the rules that Pro cars and parts are allowed.

I'd like to put forward the motion that the regional qualifier at BSCC will NOT allow Pro parts and/or cars. I don't know how much impact Pro gear will have but I'd like to see everybody on a level playing field.

That said, I ordered my Red Bull Aston Martin today.

George

--

George, I've asked the question but I'm not sure we actually have much say in the matter other than deciding on motor and tire hand-outs.  More when I hear back.

"Big Smooth"

The SCX Regional Qualifier date is set for September 19 at Marshall Field.  We'll provide more info on time and so forth as they become more clear.

"Big Smooth"

My question is since this is a SCX Sanctioned event, open to anyone not just BSCC racers, is it proper to alter the rules for any one track or club? Although I see your point George, and I agree with your reasoning, it doesn't seem right to me for BSCC to change the rules for a race that is not technically theirs? After all this is a "qualifying" race for a larger event that will allow and include the Pro cars. Even if the top finishers in the qualifyer don't make the trip to the main event, the premise is they would be racing against any car that would be legal under the established rules, including the Pro cars or those equipped with Pro parts. I also have to believe that part of the incentive for SCX to sponsor an event like this is to expose slot racers to their higher end "race quality" cars and their higher quality parts that are designed to improve performance. Let's face it, sponsorship on this level is an effective marketing tool!  ----------------Bill

It is my understanding that at the finals all drivers will race with SCX provided cars, not their own. Therefore, your car building/tweaking skills are not judged. If that's the case, why judge it in the qualifiers?

I'll show up with a non-pro car and will race on whatever tires and whatever motor I get handed at the door. Now the question with the tires will be: if they are silicones and require a Dremel to true how are we going to do that when we receive them on the day of the race?

George

--

No, that is not correct.  Anyone going to the final will need to provide their own FXX.

"Big Smooth"

Good question about the tires George!!!

In that case I'll definately want the Pro wheels on the rear!!!  ------------------------Bill

Tires will not be of such that they require tooling at the start.

"Big Smooth"

15 (edited by reek455 July 5, 2009 8:53 pm)

I have been in contact with Dave Kennedy of SCX about these very questions.  We are free to tweak the rules slightly to fulfill our needs for the qualifying race.  Here is what he told me

Dave-
We (local club, Monte) are making plans to host a SCX qualifier and I have a few questions regarding the rules. Rules state that cars must use full windows and stock interior but then later state that any SCX interior tray may be used. Which is correct?
Additionally I have a question regarding tires. You encourage a spec tire, which I think is a good idea. Rules state that SCX Pro parts can be used and I would take that to include wheels. To the best of my knowledge the Pro wheels are sized differently than the stock plastic wheels. So, if we are to use a spec tire then shouldn't everyone use the same wheel or did you mean a spec brand, no matter the size?

Regards
Rico Locati (reek455)

Hello Rico,
Yeah, this was not one of my better rules to include in this... You can use the interior from any car but it must not be lightened or modified.

As a track host your club can modify the rules to suit the house rules, so if you want to ignore that rule you can and you can race the cars "with the original interior in an unmodified form" if that makes it easier.

The rule will you refer to will be eliminated next year.

I meant a specific brand of tire as well as a specific part number, but that part of the rules refers to the final race only.

The Pro wheels are a slightly different size so we had 3 different sizes of tires on hand for the race in Philly. You can choose to race whatever brand works best on your track. That's up to the discretion of the track hosts.

One of the problems is that the Corvette (with stock wheels) uses a different sized tire from the other GT cars (which, if my memory serves all do share a common tire size). So you can stipulate for your race a specific brand or exact sizes of tires if you choose to.

For the final race, there is only the Ferrari FXX, so there are only 2 choices (a third if you count the 16mm wheels) and Rich has a huge selection of tires on hand for that race.

DaveK

My own thought on this is to have everyone use stock wheels and a spec brand of tire to eliminate confusion and if we decide to use hand out tires the day of the race only two sizes would be needed.  I vote for IndyGrips based on price, performance and availability.   It was my understanding from the brief meeting at the last BSCC race we decided to trust each other on these matters.  Each racer is to provide their own car for the qualifier and their own FXX for the Nationals. 

Rico

We are rules tweaking in conjunction with Tony at Fantasy World.  They are scheduling a regional race there for October 3.  So that gives us two chances and with that in mind we are going to synchronize the rules between the locations so we only have to set the car up one way. 

Here's a couple to chew on for starters:

Gear Ratio: MUST be 9:27.  You can NOT change the pinion but you can use the Pro gear for the crown.

Tires: Tony is going to test a few tire choices and we'll make a selection and let you know as soon as we do.  They have the same type Scaley Sport track there that Randy has so what works on one should work on the other.

More info as we know it.

"Big Smooth"

We have decided to use hand-out motors and tires.  The motor provided will be the RX-42B.  Tires will be the Slot.It SIPT17.

"Big Smooth"

Byron and Randy will be competing in this race too.

We've got you on the list.  Thanks!

"Big Smooth"

I'll be coming along too. Where will we be meeting for the run? and, might I mooch a ride too?

Greg P

Contact Bill, he's probably got spare room in the Toaster.

"Big Smooth"

Are we all meeting at the usual place on the way up to the Fantasy World race????   ------------------------Bill

Yes, we can meet at the Restaurant at Exit 39.  We'll just have to decide the time to meet.

"Big Smooth"