Topic: Gear mesh with heat

Please forgive my continued ignorance, but I heard that you can make the gear mesh much quitter on plastic crown/spur gears by setting the lash a little tight and then running the motor while applying heat to the crown/spur. Heat can be added with a heat gun or lighter/torch to achieve this. Have any of you tried this?

Re: Gear mesh with heat

Yes I have done it with plastic gears in the past were the normal  tooth paste  trick did not work. A world of caution  though to much heat and you have a warped chassis  or goo for gears.when doing the heat make sure that you have power going to the motor and gears are turning. Stop when that start to sound smother

The secondnidator

Works good. Running it for a good while with toothpaste can take care of a lot with little risk.

Keep asking questions Tom!

Zack

This is something we used to do with the 1/24 brass cars in years past. The old dark grey colored "Cox" gears were nylon and usually not true. Heating the gear up with a lighter as you spun the rear axle usually helped straighten the gear out and improve the overall mesh. I don't think it's an issue anymore with the pink Parma gears and I've never heard of it being done with Slot.it 1/32 gears. I think improved materials and modern machining have moved us beyond those extreme measures.

I've heard of this but never tried it.

I can however tell you a couple of horror stories about resin bodies and a food dehydrator.

Why a couple of stories you may ask? Because sometimes I'm a slow learner.