Re: NASTE Odd Thursday Night Classes - Updates & Revisions CLOSED 1/11/18

A good point was brought to my attention regarding my proposal for the Classic Sports Car Div I Class. Many of the Ninco classics  were powered by the NC-5 Speeder motors. Can anybody tell me what lower RPM motor choices there might be for replacement of the NC-5s in Ninco cars? I do not want to exclude any of the Ninco classic cars in the class rules. Since I don't have access to any of my slot cars or parts right now I am unable to do any parts swapping or testing for fit.

Not so sure about that one however there are both adapters for the long can pod and replacement pods for the shorter motor.

And I would say most of the Classics were actually powered by the venerable NC-1.  Only more recently with the loss of the NC-1 did they seem to move to the NC-5 making the cars ludicrously overpowered.  And since the Classics were always a motor holder mounted into the chassis it was an easy adjustment.

I have at least 5 spare NC-1 motors and a few adapters if anyone wants to go that route.  However I think the best choice would be to spec this one:

Jack Rabit Motor 14,000 RPM , Mabuchi type with 2mm double shaft  $9.95

Probably even relatively easy to get.

"Big Smooth"

I know the Jag XK120 had a motor pod, but I guess I was thinking for a solution to the NC-5 mounting in the AC Cobras and '56/'57 Corvette...

29 (edited by Mitch58 January 7, 2018 6:31 pm)

Take whatever the motor rating is at 14.8 volts and subtract 19% and you'll get what the motor runs at twelve volts. I also have several in the garage with the 12V rating written on them, I'll check and get back to here.

30 (edited by Mitch58 January 7, 2018 7:42 pm)

It turns out that that the NC2 is the only Ninco 180 can motor that is close to 14K, none of the currently Ninco made motors will work, however the adaptors to fit an FC 130 into an FK180 mount are readily available at almost every site I looked at.

So from what Mitch stated it looks like Ninco cars that originally came with NC-5 or similar motor can be set up for a Classic Sports car class with a 14k motor limit by using a Ninco NC-2 motor, or an adapter to install the H&R Jackrabbit FC-130 motor into the Fk-180 motor mount.

32 (edited by ckouba January 8, 2018 11:26 pm)

docdoom wrote:

Sure wish more peeps would ring in on these here discussion we be having.

Ok then...  Without re-visiting everyone else's submissions for consideration, I have a few thoughts.

GT Class
My two cents: Leave it alone.  It's the simplest classes we have: two doors and a roof.  I love it.  It lets everyone run just about anything against anyone.  Yes, there will be entries which will fall into the "knife to a gunfight" category, but I see GT as the "group hug class" where everyone can run something and still fit in.  Yes it may take a bit of tuning and performance enhancement to actually win, but you can run anything you want (with a roof and doors).

So with that as the set up, where do we stick the Thunderslots and NSR's?  In my opinion, right here.

I understand that it will take a very seriously built entry to be able to best a T-slot but I am averse to regulating them out.  I would look forward to the challenge of building something to run competitively with them- I have a Slot.It 962 which currently runs comparably with them (you may have seen it- it's painted white with some red), so I know it can be done.  Will it take some effort?  Yes, but isn't that why we have a hobby?

I know NSR's have a reputation, but I don't think they're as quick or fast as the T-slots.  I think the T-slots are the target benchmark.

Trans Am Class
I am inclined to say leave this one alone too.  If someone is inclined to build a podded trans am car, it can run in the GT class.  I think the $35 car + BOSA tire recipe is a pretty good basis for the class.  I am pretty sure we currently can go to metal wheels and gears and remain legal for the class too, but I managed to get my entry moving satisfactorily with the stock running gear all around.

Can Am Class
I also like this as it is.  It will be interesting to see how the T-slots run with the Slot.It McLarens.  I may end up getting a spider T-70 in the end, but I am pretty happy with the Slot.It.  We'll see how it shakes out as more T-slots show up in the grid.

Classic Sports Car Class
For the record, I like this class as it is, but I also like Mitch's proposal about the reduced RPM motors as well.  I might suggest to spec a 14k motor with 7mm tires and non-podded chassis and the 18k motor with 8mm tires and podded chassis, mix and match any years up through 1969(?).  Run them separately if we have enough entries to do so.

F1 Class
Meh.  I run this class because I like hanging out with you guys.  Not a fan of the F1 slot car.  I stumbled onto a Scaley McLaren for $35 which runs reasonably well, but I doubt I will spring for a Policar to be competitive.  I think it's too complex/broad spectrum and if we want to get serious about it, we should pick an era and run them hard.  The disparity between the various eras makes it hard for me to take this class seriously.

The new proposals:

DTM
I like the idea.  I think you can count me in.  Just need to bring myself to purchase a Carrera product on purpose.

GT, revisited
In reference to Doc's comment about splitting the eras of GT, I might suggest a re-branding of the class.  What I am thinking is re-label it as a continuation of the Sports Car class, breaking it down by decade, starting with 1970 and working up from there (leaving the Classics I and II categories to cover all prior years of sports cars).  So a 70's sports car class would have 917's, 512's, 935's, 908/3's, 936's, T-70's, Matra's, Alfa T33, Gp 5 cars, etc...  The 80's sports car class would have all sorts of Gp C and GTP entries, Trans Am Mustangs, BMW M1's, 935's, Lancia Beta's, etc...  The theme would continue...

One change which I would include in the above suggestion is losing the roof requirement.  This would allow the Matra, the 936, the Audi R8, BMW LMR, plus others I don't know off the top of my head.  I think this would be a fun place to fit them in.

Other than that, run these sports car decade classes in the same spirit as the GT class- run what you brung but groups by genre.  Don't want to change the GT class?  Let's just add these on as their own stand alone categories.

BRM Trans Am
While we're talking about running new classes and such, rules for a BRM 1/24 Trans Am class will shortly be posted.  They will reflect our current box stock philosophy for the BRM products.  Get yourself a car and let's run them.

No doubt I will want to go back and edit a few of these ramblings, but I must hit "post" now and get on with things.  Look forward to discussing on Thurs!

Chris

33 (edited by reek455 January 9, 2018 8:00 am)

ckouba wrote:
docdoom wrote:

Sure wish more peeps would ring in on these here discussion we be having.

Ok then...  Without re-visiting everyone else's submissions for consideration, I have a few thoughts.

GT Class
My two cents: Leave it alone. 
I know NSR's have a reputation, but I don't think they're as quick or fast as the T-slots.  I think the T-slots are the target benchmark.

I think he is correct here, having seen the ThunderSlots run, I don't think my stock NSR's would be able to keep up without some work, maybe just a tire change.

Trans Am Class
I am inclined to say leave this one alone too.

I agree, if it isn't broken don't mess with it.

Can Am Class
I also like this as it is.  It will be interesting to see how the T-slots run with the Slot.It McLarens.  I may end up getting a spider T-70 in the end, but I am pretty happy with the Slot.It.  We'll see how it shakes out as more T-slots show up in the grid.

I have mixed feeling here, I don't have either of the fast cars but enjoy running my Ferrari 612.

Classic Sports Car Class
For the record, I like this class as it is, but I also like Mitch's proposal about the reduced RPM motors as well.  I might suggest to spec a 14k motor with 7mm tires and non-podded chassis and the 18k motor with 8mm tires and podded chassis, mix and match any years up through 1969(?).  Run them separately if we have enough entries to do so.

I like the new proposals as well which are basically what I tried to get everyone to agree to some time ago

F1 Class
Meh.  I run this class because I like hanging out with you guys.  Not a fan of the F1 slot car.  I stumbled onto a Scaley McLaren for $35 which runs reasonably well, but I doubt I will spring for a Policar to be competitive.  I think it's too complex/broad spectrum and if we want to get serious about it, we should pick an era and run them hard.  The disparity between the various eras makes it hard for me to take this class seriously.

This class is way too varied but I'm not sure how to fix it

The new proposals:

DTM
I like the idea.  I think you can count me in.  Just need to bring myself to purchase a Carrera product on purpose.

I agree plus I already have a few

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

Mitch58 wrote:

I assume that we will be finishing out this years series with the rules that we started it with.

I think that would be the best idea Mitch, unless everyone agrees to integrate any changes to a class well before they are raced as a point race.

To simplify things and keep everything organized for myself, I have transferred all the comments on the various classes to word documents. I have one word document for each of the classes containing all the comments and suggestions for that particular class. If you'd like a copy of the info regarding any one of the classes (or all) let me know and I'll send it to you in an email.

wb0s wrote:

...I have one word document for each of the classes containing all the comments and suggestions for that particular class. If you'd like a copy of the info regarding any one of the classes (or all) let me know and I'll send it to you in an email.

Or post it on a shared drive and we can all see them.  I can set it up so only you can edit it or anyone else if desired.  That'd keep it all in one place.  Should be fairly easy.

Tell me how to do that Chris and I'll try to get it done tomorrow. Might be easier than having this thread to sort through?

Bill, use google docs.  It's a simple upload.

"Big Smooth"

Monte, I think I have them on Google Docs now. Is there a way I can post a link to them here? Or do I have to list everybodies email address to share?

You can list the link here if you like.  We do the same thing with the motor list.

"Big Smooth"

Link to the conversations by class:

https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/

Does that work Monte?

No, it doesn't.  Email me.

"Big Smooth"

did you guys get this sorted?

Yes, I'm going to start a new post with the list of google docs.

"Big Smooth"

Thanks Monte!