Topic: NASTE 2017 - New Era

Since the beginning in 1996, NASTE has been evolving. From racing on a small three lane 1/24 track with no timing or lap counting system, to 2016 where racing takes place on multiple tracks with fully computerized lap counting and timing. But what hasn’t changed until now is NASTE’s basis for operation which has always been slot car racing. Somewhere along the way there has been a shift of interest at the weekend NASTE IROC races. This shift has made me re-evaluate what NASTE is all about. I feel NASTE still serves a purpose in the slot car world, but that purpose is now split into two groups. The NASTE weekend IROC races are still an excellent venue for attracting new racers, as well as providing members some social interaction. But the Point Series Championship just doesn’t seem to fit anymore. In fact right now, I question the value of the Point Series Championship. If there is still enough interest in running the Point Series Championship, I propose we move the series to the NASTE Odd Thursday Night Races where there is a slightly more competitive atmosphere. With this change I would also propose track owners collectively would continue to host one weekend event per month. The event location would rotate just as we currently do. I have an outline of a new race format for the point series championship to be held at the Odd Thursday Night races. In addition track owners could host weekend races for the point series if they so desire. Currently this is the direction I am headed. I am very interested in feedback in regards to this proposal. If there is not enough interest in the Point Series Championship I will drop it completely. It has lasted 20 years. Maybe it’s time is over? I hope not, and in an effort to retain the point series I am proposing the following.

Proposal: PLEASE DISREGARD THE FOLLOWING PROPOSAL. I HAVE ABANDONED THIS PROPOSAL TO CHANGE ANY ODD THURSDAY NIGHT RACE FORMATS. ODD THURSDAY NIGHT RACES WILL CONTINUE AS CURRENTLY FORMATTED.

The NASTE Odd Thursday Night Races will be the new venue for the NASTE Point Series Championship.

Points awarded for one race per night.

Schedule at least 6 weekend races that count as point races – separate from NASTE IROC races. For any track that wants to host a point series race.

One class race at each Odd Thursday Night race will be a points race. The point series race will be the second race of the night. Doors open at 4:00pm. First race starts promptly at 5:00pm. May have to switch to racing three classes per night instead of current four per night.

Racing starts with qualifying round. Racers get one minute to post fastest lap time. Track power on for one minute, with 30 seconds between. Timing to be automated by computer with no pauses for any reasons. Drivers are responsible for getting their car off the track when done, and new driver resposible for getting controller hooked up and car at start line. If racer gets a late start he gets the time remaining on the clock to post his fastest lap. Should be able to complete qualifying session in 1 hour.

The three or four fastest qualifier's cars (depending on the number of lanes on the track) will be used for the race in an IROC type format. Fastest qualifier gets first pick as to what lane his car will be in, second pick goes to second fastest qualify, third etc. Top qualifier gets either 3  championship bonus points (or 4, again depending on number of lanes on track), second place qualifier gets 2 bonus points and third place qualifier gets 1 bonus point. In the event a racer does not want his car used in the IROC format he has two choices; he can "sandbag" and run a slow qualifying session, or he can take a "bye". If a racer choses to take a "bye" he will forfeit one championship point. If a racer does not have a car for one of the classes raced, he can still race in the event but he will have to "pay" one championship point to compete.

Points awarded as follows: In addition to the bonus points awarded to top qualifiers, one point will be awarded to racers for each competitor they beat, For example: last place finisher gets 1 point, next to last finisher would get 2 points, and on up to the race winner. If there were 21 racers the winner would receive 21 points, if only 15 racers the winner would receive 15 points.

Re: NASTE 2017 - New Era

At this point it looks like our downstairs will be vacant by the end of summer. I hope to renovate the family room and build a new three lane 68' track down there over the winter. That will give us another track to work into the rotation.

Monte will likely be interested in Thursday night races, but I'll pass. The weekend social events are of more interest to me. That's my 2 cents.

Zen Racer

Bill, sounds good to me. I will make as many of the races as I can.

I am good with it too Bill.

If I were to voice a preference, my *personal* preference would be to dump the qual'y and just run the chosen class/race for the night with the hardware you bring.  I would feel badly if I broke someone's pride and joy (and no doubt highly refined) class entry, and I would be equally disappointed if someone handed me back my own broken one.  I am more the fan of drive your own, break your own...

If the IROC format is intrinsic to the NASTE experience, I can respect the tradition, but I'd honestly rather set it aside.

Also, qual'y time = less racing time...

Chris

I'm glad to see some responses and opinions posted here. Thank you all for your input, it is greatly appreciated!

I'd like to respond to Victoia's comments. What she has pointed out is exactly the reason I feel I need to move the NASTE Point Series Championship to another racing venue. The NASTE organization was formed around the point series championship, and the basis for NASTE was slot car racing. The social aspect of the group was secondary, although still important. It was a group of people who got together primarily for their interest in racing slot cars. Where we are now the group is split between people getting together to RACE slot cars, and people just getting together to socialize. In my opinion I serve as a promoter. I started the NASTE Point Series Championship and I have run it for 20 years. During that time I have innitiated many changes to the format and to the scheduling of the races all in an effort to keep the interest high. The interest in slot car racing to be specific. In the last few years I have seen a decline in participation at the NASTE races by individuals whose primary interest is slot car racing. The feedback I have received indicates to me people interested in racing in a series would prefer a more structured racing program. The social aspect of the NASTE group is not really the issue. I believe the real issue is the current general lack of interest in RACING. The NASTE social get togethers are in fine shape and working extremely well. The point series just does not fit into the mix anymore.

I like it Bill. Maybe we could do some trial runs during the summer to get any bugs out of the qualifying part. I somewhat agree with Chris about qualifying time equals less race time but then Chris builds some of the fastest cars.  Al

Chris, The NASTE IROC format started when we were racing on my routed HO track. Due to the track design the cars had to be specifically modified to run on the track. For that reason I started the IROC style races so racers would not have to modify cars to run on just my track, which also rendered them pretty much useless on standard HO tracks. What we found out was IROC style races take the equipment variable out of the races. It makes the driver's performance the most important factor, and makes the racing more fair in some people's minds.

As far as abandoning an IROC type of format, I'm fine with it. I fully understand both of the concerns you mentioned, equipment wear and or abuse, and the time factor with a qualifying session. My first thought was to go with the modified IROC style format in an effort to retain the fairness or equality in equipment and keep the focus on driver performance. In regards to one of the trade-offs equipment wear or abuse, my hopes were a more serious racing group would be more conscious and conciderate of how they are using a fellow racer's equipment. In regards to the useage of time for racing, I feel the proposed qualifying session and IROC style format would somewhat lessen the need for close scrutiny in a tech inspection of the cars as all would be using the same cars. I'm fine with going back to the original format types where we raced our own cars in the point series, however we will have to have better enforcement of the rules!

Thanks Al. I was thinking the same thing about testing some ideas over the summer, such as trying out a qualifying session. I'm in total agreement with you, Chris builds some FAST cars, and I want to drive them..............

I've never worried about a car I put into an IROC event.  Give 'em up for dead as soon as they hit the track.

Plan accordingly as your little, precious, priceless beauty could get rider-ed into oblivion even while in your own hands during a normal event.  Don't want to risk it anyway, don't run it in the IROC event, wait for the next race when you can run it solo.

"Big Smooth"

Bill, one of the things we did in my old club was to charge a nominal fee for the races ($5 per race session), the resulting cash to be used to reimburse hosts for the snacks they provided, and to help them maintain loaner cars for those who didn't have something for a specific class being raced. If we were to go to an IROC style race (cars prepped and maintained by individuals for use by all drivers), perhaps such a fee could be instituted to lessen the sting of "broken cars." It's never fun to see your handiwork trashed, but if there's a bit of reimbursement for it, it's a little easier to take. Plus, if people are going to pay for the privilege, they're more likely to be careful with the car. As I used to tell my daughters, "If it costs you nothing, it's worth nothing." If you have skin ($) in the game, you pay more attention. Just a thought.

Monte, as the late great Rocky Russo used to say, "They're all doomed."

Stan, Thanks for the suggestions. We currently have a race fee for the NASTE weekend IROC races and have used it for a number of years for just what you mentioned, partial reimbursement for track owners expenses and some awards from time to time. I would like to get away from that also, it is just one more thing to administer and keep track of. I like the way the Odd Thursday races are going where people just bring a snack if they want to. As far as the IROC style proposal my thought was that the club or the track host would not have to put together and maintain cars specifically for IROC races. If all the racers cars were subject to use in the race I was hoping if damage did occur the racer who caused the damage would step up to the plate for the repairs. I also included a proposal in the rules where if a racer absolutely did not want to have one of his cars compete in the race he could take a "bye" in qualifying (which would cost him 1 championship point), or he could just purposely qualify slower than all the other cars (sandbag). Truth be told I would just as soon we all just race as we currently do and I'll just use one class race per Odd Thursday Night for the points championship. That might be the easiest way to go to get it started. That's the way we originally did it and it worked out fine. We could always go back to the IROC format later.......

No worries, Bill. Whatever works for NASTE is how it should be.

It might be the way I drive, or the way I build, but you'll notice, I always bring two of whatever we are racing.

When I joined this group I let it be known that I was a player, not a racer. I like to play with toys. My toys of preference are slot cars, Legos and Econolines, not necessarily in that order. Like Bill said, a lot of the races were on his HO track using the IROC format. Most of the other races were with the Econo cars, which were supposed to be equal, but were obviously not as some were amazingly faster than others. That is what you will get if you allow racers to build their own cars. Not matter the rules, people will bend them, someone will have to enforce them, and some people won't be happy.

I believe a lot of people don't come to our races because they can't win. They can't cheat by modifying a car since it is an IROC format and they realize that there are a lot of better drivers out there when the cars are truly equal.  As for the Thursday races, I have one car for each class I race, and they are pretty much stock. I don't obsess with bringing 4 or more cars for each class to find the best one for that night and I don't need hours of practice trying to shave a tenth off my lap time. I am there to play.

So, here's what I think. Retire the current format and trophy. 20 good years. Start a new series. Call it the NASTE CUP or whatever. Like Nascar, the racers with deep pockets and the ability to build fast, and most likely illegal, cars will win. I quit going to the digital races because I got tired of seeing people cheat to help their team, whine about corner marshals and complain about who was on their team. I'll continue to host races, maybe just completely separate from the series, and I'll bet they are still some of the best attended, probably because of Dorothy's food.

The soapbox is yours.

Terry, Thank you for responding to this. I always value your input. In conversations with other slot car racers they will routinely offer me their opinions in regards to the NASTE IROC style races. Of those I've talked with most say they are not interested in IROC style races. They generally say one or two might be ok now and then, but they enjoy racing their own cars more. I agree with that, I enjoy racing my own car more than the IROC races. Like them I like competing with something I built or tuned, good or bad. So to start with the IROC format doesn't appeal to everyone, especially for every race. The Odd Thursday Night races support that theory. And yes, there are racers that will bend the rules when racing their own cars. I guess that is just part of racing, interpretation of rules and their meanings. But as I see it here is where an individual's level of seriousness comes into play, as a semi-serious racer if I'm beat by another racer who's car seems much faster and possibly illegal, it doesn't bother me. I'm just racing and doing my best. I enjoy that and that's all I need.

I remember when we were racing the Econo-Cars. Man that was a lot of fun. The rules for the NASTE Point Series required the cars to be original Bob Hanna built chassis or direct copies with no alterations. The rules also stated the motors had to be sealed Parma 16Ds. Where we ran into problems was when I representing NASTE solicited other 1/24 track owners to host races. I did this in an effort to provide NASTE racers with more variety racing on larger nice tracks, to improve the NASTE point series racing experience. Along with that we also had the fun of having the racers that routinely raced on those tracks race with us. Most did not routinely race with NASTE and many of them were very good car builders. Many of the other tracks raced the Econo-Cars with rules that differed from NASTE's allowing various modifications. As a judgment call I felt strict enforcement of our rules in the venue of a guest track and host was irrelevant and inconsiderate. After all the guest track or club was not contesting our point series championship, they were only attending one or two races. So if that rubbed anyone the wrong way that was my mistake and I apologize. Bottom line is we still had a lot of fun racing those cars, we got to race on some different tracks, and we got to race with an meet some people we don't normally race with. As a semi-serious racer it was fun for me regardless of the outcome.

So that brings us to the retirement issue of the series and the trophy. I guess my real interest here is that I have 20 years invested in the NASTE Point Series Championship and I am reluctant to just let it go. But I have seen it degrade into something that really doesn't mean much where once it was something to work towards and represented accomplishment. So if there truly is no interest or a real lack of interest I will retire it. But I have no desire to start a new series. If I decide to retire the point series I will continue the Odd Thursday Night races as they seem popular right now and I thoroughly enjoy them! It is some of the best racing I have had in a long time, and the group of people is outstanding! As far as the NASTE weekend races I see them as mostly a social event which is fine. I would be happy to still host one and I would like to see the Halloween Race tradition continue. I just miss the racing focus we used to enjoy at those races. In my opinion the NASTE weekend events would be better as open houses with slot car tracks and cars available for those that want to run them around. That's not a bad thing, it is just a scenario where the NASTE Point Series Championship no longer fits in.

Thanks for letting me have the soapbox!   =========Bill

Terry, How about we go in this direction, since NASTE seems to have this division of interests, both sides of which are successful, I will remove the point series from the traditional weekend events. Since you stated you have the desire to do something else at your track, how would you feel about organizing and implementing the schedule and arrangements for the NASTE social events? Or if you'd rather you can call it whatever you'd like. We have a very good base of participants only interested in the social aspect instead of actually racing. For next season I will primarily use the NASTE Odd Thursday Night races for the point series and organize that. I'll see how it works out for the point series in that venue.

You've kinda lost me, Bill. You say most don't want an IROC format, but you proposed one anyway. Every track owner has enough cars to put on an IROC race. Why not just make it the second race on each Thursday race scheduled? That way the serious racers can run other classes of cars they have built and the series goes on, just on Thursdays instead of Saturdays. Sundays didn't change the crowds. As for the social thing, I think that is mainly the better halves getting together. Only one guy didn't race at my place and that was because of torn tendons in both knees. Most of our group comes to race, and I hate to see them lost if you switch to having to run your own car. You and I and likely a few others don't mind getting beat by a better prepped car, but the people running in the Novice class need a little hope. Regardless of what happens, I will host races as long as I am able.

Being the new guy. I like the way the odd Thursday nights are ran and hope that does not change. I cant make the weekend races. do to I have to slave away at work  so I'm out on that Part of the race scene. Maybe have the race on a 2nd even Thursday of the month. or something along that. but that my take on it. I'm good with what ever. the masses want.

The secondnidator

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I always thought IROC meant racing identically prepared cars of identical models. That was the idea, anyway: the cars were equal, so the result of the race was due to driving, not car prep or how much money went into selecting exactly the right components to build a winner. As stated in a post above, my old club used to run that kind of a race with cars provided by the host of the race (or one of the better preppers in the club), so that everyone raced the same car on the same lane. (A car for Red, Blue, Green, Yellow—whatever colored lanes and whatever number). We altered that slightly by calling one race series a "Driver's Championship" series that ran the same format, but results counted toward a "Driver's Championship Cup" at the end of the season. I think this is what Bill is proposing. If I'm wrong, please tell me.

The idea was, some guys might be very good drivers, but lousy car preparers, or folks that didn't have the wherewithal to purchase 4 cars to select the best components for one. The IROC or "Driver's Championship" format allowed those people to be competitive in at least one class, because their driving was the deciding factor, not money or skill at preparation. It was a very enjoyable format, and people who wouldn't ordinarily reach a podium actually did so on occasion. (Of course, guys who were the best mechanics and consistent drivers usually won anyway, but there was always the odd chance that somebody else could beat them.) The "Driver's Championship" also allowed club members to try out cars for which classes had not yet been established by the club, such as the Cartrix F1s or front-motored Fly cars. It seemed to be a pretty successful format in the old club. If that's what Bill is proposing, I'm all for it. I like the competition even though I'll rarely if ever make a podium.

But I've always said "The worst day slot racing beats the best day of doing almost anything else..."

Terry, the new format I proposed is not a traditional IROC style race. For the one class that would count as a points race the racers are submitting the their cars to potentially be used in the race. The top three would be used in the race in an IROC style race. Chances are the cars would not be as similar as four like cars prepared by the track owner. This format would differ in that racers get to actually race their own cars, although they could also be "loaning" them to the other racers.

What you're saying does not sound like what I keep hearing from participants. What I hear lately at the races is "they're not here to race", and "they don't really care". In addition I hear people criticized for trying to race well and win. My point is if this is caused by having the point series within this current frame work it is not where it belongs, obviously. I have made concessions in the format of the point series to address issues that have come up over the last two or three years. We have changed the format so racers of different skill levels and interst levels can race together, and not even participate in the point series. But there is still the criticizm and "talk". NASTE is a great bunch of people and I do not want MY interest in having a point series ruin that. I don't know exactly what has caused this atmosphere. I've run the point series for a long time and there have been people of all levels of skill and interests involved. But there has never been any complaining or ill feelings about people being competitive. Some people are more competitive than others, we all know that. To me the racing IS the fun part. I don't want to offend anyone because I want to try and win. The way I see it is if I remove the point series from the current style NASTE "get togethers" there will be no reason for controversy. If you want to participate in the point series you can go to those races.

I really appreciate the feedback from all who have submitted their ideas! Maybe the real problem is I am the only one who wants the point series to continue. It's hard for me to think of letting go of 20 years of effort. I will be taking some time to think this all over. The 2017 season would not start until September, so there is plenty of time. In the meantime, we will continue with the Odd Thursday Night racing schedule as it is. I do know for sure now that the NASTE Point Series Championship will no longer be part of the current NASTE weekend scheduling. So mark your calendars, next Sunday the 12th is the Shoot-Out at Rapid Raceway! This just may be the last one!

Stan, In regards to your post about IROC racing with your old club, that is exactly what NASTE has been doing for the weekend races for the last few years. The rub or controversy is in the fact that there is a point series championship associated with the racing. From what you detailed it sounds like the people or racers involved were actually interested  in the act of racing or simple put, trying to win. What I am doing is removing the point series from that "race" venue. I think what should replace it is whatever the track owner hosting a race wants to do. If he wants to put cars out for people to run around or if he wants to hold some kind of race, I'm fine with that. If I am going to promote and facilitate a championship series I want it to be for people who want and appreciate it. It doesn't have to be "super serious", but it needs to mean something. It needs to signify something. So the real question now is; does anybody want to have a point series championship?

24 (edited by JohnFisher100 June 4, 2016 1:56 am)

I have reviewed the preceding posts in this thread (some more carefully than others), and these are my thoughts:
  1. I will be OK with whatever the ultimate decision is. It's fun just to be racing again.
  2. As is probably obvious, I like racing more than socializing and eating, and I prefer racing with people who are invested in racing. I also don't like to sit around for 2 hours to race for 9 minutes. Luckily, I LIKE to turn marshal.
  3. I don't like IROC, never have. To me, building and/or preparing a car is part of what makes racing fun, and crashing, breaking cars, blowing motors, etc., is kind of what racing actually is. That being said, if I ever build a car that is fast enough to use, I don't care who uses it or whether it gets destroyed, as long as I can destroy one of Chris' cars, too.
    A. Whatever happens, I think there should be a season concours d'elegance to encourage and reward those who enjoy building pretty cars.
  4. I think points races should be limited to one or two classes for the season. It's hard enough to test and develop cars without something new to prepare every month.
  5. I think the rules should be rules, not guidelines. They should be clear and concise and consistent across classes. (By consistent, I mean everything should be in millimeters or decimal inches or fractional inches or fathoms, but it should be the same everywhere.
   A. If there are universal rules, i.e. all cars in all classes must have a uniform ground clearance; then there should be a "universal rule" section that contains all the universal rules.
  6. I am in favor of the points series continuing and I am in favor of it being on odd Thursdays. My main issue with the monthly weekend events is not "serious racers vs. nonserious racers," it's about how little time is spent actually racing. And if you have 25 people racing on a 3-lane track, there isn't much you can do about that.
  I may have more thoughts later, but it's bed time.
    John

Thank you for your input John! I cannot find even one point in your reply I disagree with. Your comments regarding rules especially interests me. It is so hard to write good rules and it seems as though as hgard as I try I never get everything addressed! You seem to have some specific thoughts about rules and I'd like to discuss our current rules with you. One of my goals is to make them as simple and least restrictive as possible. One of my problems is on the "articulate" scale I fall somewhere between low and zero!

Hope you slept well!