Topic: Gran Prix Cars in the spirit of Nuvolari

I would like to start a class of Gran Prix cars encompassing all the years from 1950 - 1969.  You can go here to find lists of what those cars would be:

Gran Prix cars since 1950

The real problem comes in finding suitable cars or donor bodies so I thought a list of potential candidates might be in order.  Let me know what you find or have and we'll add it to the list and see if this is indeed possible.

Thanks!

"Big Smooth"

Re: Gran Prix Cars in the spirit of Nuvolari

GP Cars: 1950 - 1969

Cartrix
BRM P25 (3) *
Ferrari Supersqualo F 555 (2) *
Gordini T32 *
Lotus 16 *
Maserati 250F F (3) *
Mercedes W196 (3)

Lindberg
Cooper
Porsche 804
BRM

Polistil
Ferrari (2)
ATS
BRM
Lotus
Cooper

Resilient Resins:
Cooper T-54
Cooper T-60
Ferrari 555 Supersqualo
Lancia-Ferrari D50
Lotus 25
Mercedes W196
Porsche 804

Scalextric
Cooper Climax T53
Ferrari 156 Sharknose
Ferrari 375 *
Maserati 250F
Vanwall (2)

SCX
BRM P-216
Mclaren M9A 1969 *

* currently commercially available

"Big Smooth"

Don't forget the Scalextric 1967 "Year of the Legends" set.  They do qualify, but I doubt anyone would be foolish enough to race them.

Rico

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

So is anyone interested in a classic formula car series?  Perhaps a spec with a sub-20k motor and skinny tires.

I've been able to assemble a few possible entrants.  To date I have:

Cooper
Ferrari
Vanwall

All are ready to race and able to adjust to a reasonable spec.  I have at least half a dozen others in the queue.  Might be a fun stock class for the NASTE Thursdays.

"Big Smooth"

I like it!!!

I'd like it but would rather not risk my Cartrix babies.

As for another class, I'd like to see a small zippy class like Monte's NSR Renault Clio he brought out last time. Or a Ninco Renault Megane, or a Fiat Cinquecento to honor the Chrysler takeover....

George

--
"Get the shotgun, Martha. The herd needs a thinnin'." - Bucky Katt

I'd like to do this as well, But as you know Monte, I need to build a car 1st.
Still trying to figure out how to make the bottom half of the Vanwall or Maserati body?
Thanks,
Jack

Ok, it's time to get this class going.  I'm going to start a list of rules and a spec and let's see what we can get going.

The SPEC:

CARS:
1/32 scale Gran Prix cars from 1969 and earlier.  Any make, any model.  RTR, scratch-built, doesn't matter.

MOTORS:
18k or less. 

There are many motors that will fit this spec.  You can check the list here.  I've got a speed checker, so we can keep it reasonably honest.

GEARS:
Have at it.

WHEELS/TIRES:
Wheels and tires should be reasonable and look period correct.  Nothing wider than a Ninco Classic.  Rubber or Urethane is ok.  No silicone tires allowed.

MAGNETS:
None.  Other than those in the motor.

I'll add to and change this as we get a better feel for what we want to do so comment away if you're interested.

"Big Smooth"

RACE FORMAT:
The racing will consist of a series of heats with each driver racing in each lane at least twice per event, but an even amount on each lane.  Heats will be two minutes.  Cars will be marshalled.  Voltage can be variable from 10 - 11.5v.  Remember, this is SCALE model racing not the missile range.

Repairs:
Cars will be impounded for the duration of the race.  Cars needing repair can only be worked on during live time.  Cars that do not finish the race are considered DNF - did not finish.  A car is considered a finisher if it is still running under it's own power at the conclusion of it's final heat.

Driver's Championship:
Drivers will be awarded points for overall finish:
1st: 10 points
2nd: 8 points
3rd: 6 points
4th: 5 points
5th: 4 points
6th: 3 points
7th: 2 points
8th and lower: 1 point
DNF: 0 points

Manufacturer's Cup:
Cars will be grouped by manufacturer and each "team" will be awarded cumulative points:
1st: 10 points
2nd: 8 points
3rd: 6 points
4th: 5 points
5th: 4 points
6th: 3 points
7th: 2 points
8th and lower: 1 point
DNF: 0 points

Team Orders
Members of a manufacturer's team are subject to "Team Orders".  In the spirit of Enzo Ferrari, if your team does well, you may earn a bonus.  In the event of epic failure, perhaps a team car "dies" on the track, Enzo may wave the black flag and pull the entire team.

Each driver of a team that has all it's cars complete the race will receive a one lap bonus. 
Each driver of a team that fails to have all it's cars finish the race will receive a two lap penalty.

There is no limit to the size of a manufacturer's team.  One is enough.  All cars will be team members.  There are no "privateers".

TRACKS:
Penguin Point - Hillsboro - 3 lane mdf routed track
Autumn Hills - Milwaukie - 2 lane Scaley Sport track

SCHEDULE
A 6-8 race season, depending on interest and if we get other tracks involved.

I'd like to start around January.  I like Wednesday nights.

"Big Smooth"

I have a Cooper.............I'm game!   ---------------------Bill

11 (edited by reek455 November 19, 2009 11:20 pm)

I'm leaning toward the 1967 AAR Eagle T1G by Scalextric.  It seems to fit the criteria except for the width of tires which look wider than Ninco classics.  What's the ruling on this Monte.  18k  motor-check, pre 1969- check, beautiful- check

Rico

I'll say it's ok if they are the scale tires for the car.  Can't really argue with that.

"Big Smooth"

The only problem I can see with that is my Cooper in non-magnetic configuration will probably not be competitive with the newer F1 cars like the Eagle. I think we need to do some experimenting to verify the competitiveness of the different cars. Wider tires equal more grip no matter how you look at it.   -------------------Bill

As much as it pains me to say this, maybe you should make the year cut off around 1964-5.  After those years, tires got bigger and the cars got faster. 

Rico

Ok, one or the other?

"Big Smooth"

I guess what I'm trying to say is that 1950-1969 is too big of a spread, the cars changed dramatically during that period.  The change started with the rear engine revolution, but tire size didn't catch up until the mid 60's along with the increase in engine displacement from 1.5 to 3.0 liters.  Of course, limiting the the year range eliminates my choice of car, but I think it would be for the betterment of the series.  It is your series and I will leave you with the decision.

Rico

Perhaps I should just supply spec tires for the series.  We could have Urethane "Cobra" rears and Urethane "Classic" fronts.  If a Ninco Classic fits your wheel, then these will work.  Or you can choose to run "Classic" tires on all four if you don't like the look of a wider rear tire.

I'll have plenty of tires if someone needs extras or thinks they got a bad set.

"Big Smooth"

If there are enough racers interested in the F1 cars, what about running two classes at once. As Rico suggested pre '64 or '65 (skinny tired cars) and post '64 or '65 (wide tired cars). We could race them together (which maybe kind of interesting) but score the points separately for each class or division. Racers could decide which type of car they would like to race. We could allow racers to race each type of car at each race if they so desire, or limit it to each racer racing only one type of car per race. Racers could race one type at one race and other type at the next race if they chose to. Racers could develope strategy as to what car they ran at which race. There are many options as to how the races could be run to include the different types of F1 cars.  ---------------Bill

hello= 1st post. Is the race still on? Sounds like fun.
Late= Joel

Howdy Joel.  We're still working our way through this class.  Nothing has been started race-wise yet.

Yet...

"Big Smooth"

Question regarding the motors for the vintage F1 class.  I have a Scalextric Ferrari 375 with a front mounted FC-130 Mabuchi motor.  What BWA motor are you guys thinking?  I  believe the current stock motor is an 18K but it feels pretty wimpy.  It may or may not be easy to transter the drive shaft to a new motor without damaging it.  Thoughts???

I managed to get the motor swapped for a BWA NC-1 without too much trouble.  I will bring it to Bill's on Thursday.

Here's some pics of the F1 cars we were talking about:

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo56/reek455/IMG_1285_zpsdd647f58.jpg

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo56/reek455/IMG_1287_zps3b2d7eb6.jpg

I guess they do both have the brass chassis, I didn't think the white one did.

You got me..............I'm not sure what they are!!!??????????

The more I think about this the more I come to the conclusion that two classes will be the best choice.

The first class will be for pre-64 cars using spec BWA motors and tires no wider than a typical Ninco Classic.  The second class will be for more modern F1 cars like the Scaley legends set and probably some Fly cars and a few others.  I'm probably going to start this as a secondary class on First Sundays.  I should soon have enough Cartrix to field a complete race.  Swapping them to the BWA motor.  I'll keep you posted on progress.  The test case is going to Bill's Thursday night, come give it a try if you like.

And to get in the spirit...

http://www.naste.org/members/monte/Vintage_f1_Sepia_2.jpg

"Big Smooth"