Topic: NASTE Trans Am Cup

NASTE will be adding races to the normal NASTE IROC series races at tracks that support magnetic traction racing in 1:32 scale. These races are designed to support and cultivate the Trans Am Class already established by Bob. These NASTE races will be referred to as the NASTE Trans Am Cup. Points will be tallied and recorded for each race in regards to racer’s finish position with a NASTE Trans Am Cup winner crowned at the end of the season.

After the conclusion of the normal NASTE IROC races, one race for the Scalextric Trans Am Class cars will be held. This race will consist of one round of racing, and is open to any racer that wishes to compete. There will be no divisions within the class in regards to the racers level of skill or ability. This will not be an IROC race, but there may be loaner cars available. Cars compliant with the rules for the NASTE Trans Am Cup will be referred to as NAK-Spec cars.

NASTE Trans Am Cup – NAK-Spec Rules:
Cars must comply with The Gorge Trans Am Challenge Rules as follows; 1966-1972 Trans Am cars by Scalextric only. All cars will be out of the box stock. No modifications other than changing the pick up braid. No adding of weight allowed.

In addition for the NAK-Spec cars, Paul Gage urethane tires are allowed for use on the stock rear wheels.

Re: NASTE Trans Am Cup

To date we have completed 2 Nak-Spec Trans Am races. The first one at Penguin Point and now the second here at TooBad Motorplex. I had purchased a new Scalextric Trans Am Camaro to race in this series because the existing cars I own have all been modified to some degree. I bought the Todco Camaro hoping it was going to have the newer guide set up, however it did not. In a discussion with Rico he mentioned he thought only the digital ready cars had the new guide blades.

After initially racing these cars at The Gorge Raceway I felt the hot set up was to have the traction magnet positioned in the rear most pocket. With my newly purchased car I moved the traction magnet to that rear most position, and I installed a pair of Paul Gage urethane rear tires, per the NASTE rules. When I raced this car at Penguin Point it was clear the rear most traction magnet position was not the optimal set up. I finished in the top 5 but the car was challenging to control in the tighter turns. In the second race with this car at TooBad Motorplex the car worked awesomely. It stuck like glue in the corners. I'm not sure why the car worked so much better here than at Penguin Point, but I am extremely happy with it. My plan is to leave it as is until I see how it works at The Gorge and Autumn Hills.