Topic: GT1 class

Fellow racers; we have another completed  GT1 car on board. Beau finished his car and tested it the other day. His car is a beauty as always and performs equal to mine. Hope we can get a picture of it on this page soon.

Re: GT1 class

Bill, Hop on over to the Oscar site, I posted an answer to your question and blabbed on and on. Yes we are racing Sat. night. That would be great to get Beaus' car on this sight.

Here's a few of the photos I got of Beau Frazier's car:

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/beau3281.jpg

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/beau3285.jpg

......And, a few more. Nice car Beau!!!

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/beau32812.jpg

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/beau32814.jpg

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/beau32817.jpg

Fellow racers; we now have 5 completed and at least 5 currently under construction in the new GT-1 class.
Rules are comming soon and I will put them  up on this page. We do know for sure that the Falcon Seven will be the one and only motor for this class. We will also have printed copies. Let me know if you would like one.
Professor Motor now has about 6 in stock Scholer chassis. I e-mailed them that they may get quite a few orders from the Oregon area. They said when they run out, it takes about 3 to 4 weeks to re-stock.
See ya, Howie.

Howie, is there any kind of schedule yet?

"Big Smooth"

Kidvolt; We usually do our scheduling in Aug. of each year to give racers plenty of time to prepare for the comming season. This GT-1 class will kickoff in late Sept. I have thought how I can incorperate the GT-1 class with the regular Sat. night schedule. Here is what I'm currently thinking: From 3:00 pm. 'till 6:00pm. the GT-1 cars will race, then from 6:00pm. 'till 9:00pm the Sportsman cars will race and from 9:00 pm. 'till midnight NASCAR will race. That way, a racer can pick and choose his class and show up at the set hr. This is not in stone yet, but I can't think of a better way right now to do it. I think this will go over pretty well, because a person can race his chosen class and go on to other things if he chooses. Give me feedback on this.

Sounds like some looong days for you Howie.

Rico

Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.

Reek455; Actually it is only an addition of 2hrs. over the normal schedule. I really have fun doing this slot car gig.  I didn't feel that I should have two different race nights and try to get racers to drive back and forth on different nights. I'm pretty pumped on this GT-1 class and we are well on our way.
I haven't figured out the true scale F-1 class for 2010 yet, but I have plenty of time.

Fellow racers; I'm getting feedback on the Sat. VS. another day for the GT-1 class. It is 100% so far for a seperate day. So I guess I will try and schedule a different night for True Scale. It might work out better that way so that we can add more True Scale classes on that night. Some classes in the thinking stages of some of our racers: '70 and  '80's NASCAR, GT classes (Nissan, Honda etc.) F-1 is in for Sept. of 2010. Stay tuned!!

Bob Nakamura sent me these photos of his GTP Mustang.

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/BobNakamura1.jpg

This is one good looking race car! Great job Bob!

http://www.naste.org/members/bill/BobNakamura2.jpg

--------------Bill

Fellow racers; the final rules for GT-1 will be here tomarrow ( May 4. )
I started to type them in tonight but it is 11:00 pm. I'm winding down!
See ya, Howie.

Rules of GT-1:
Bodies: Only the following bodies will be allowed at this time: 1. Nissan R390 GT-1, 2. Mercedes CLK GTR, 3. Sauber Mercedes C9, 4. Jaguar XJRM-8-LM, 5. Jaguar XJR-9 IMSA, 6. Charge Mazda 767B, 7. Porsche 911 GT-1, 8. Porsche GT-1 EVO, 9. Nissan R 88C, 10. Toyota 88C, 11. Porsche 956, 12. Toyota 88C LM, 13. Jaguar XJR-9LM, 14. Toyota GT-1 TS020, 15. Ford Mustang GTP, 16. Porsche 962.

Modifications to body: 1. you may cut out the dashboard if equipped. 2. You may add support to the wing. 3. you can add support to the front of the car ( for instance adding piano wire behind and across the front spoiler/bumper ). 4. Kits with closed rear wheel wells can be opened to the lines on the kit. 5. Kits with rear mounted wings can be mounted on the upper rear deck.
A painted driver and a full painted cockpit tray is a must, either vacu-formed or plastic.
No stretching of bodies allowed.
All glass in kit must be used, along with headlights and tailights. Headlight covers, mirrors, antenna, windshield wipers, are optional.

Motor: only the Falcon Seven will be legal. You may add a motor cooler. No modifications to the motor.

Chassis: Only the Tifosi ( no modifications ) and the Scholer, part# SCH110200 will be allowed. Only the following modifications are allowed on the Scholer: Add side pans, add front pan, reem out the axle holes to accept american bearings/bushings, reem out the screw holes to accept american screws ( 2/56 ) and cut a cooling hole under the motor. Weight is up to the builder.

Tires: all tires will be black. Tires to be centered in the wheel wells. At least 1.0" outside diameter for the rears. Front tires to be approximately the same as the kit. All wheels to be approximately the same as the kit. Front tires to be at least .320" wide and can be tapered and painted for less rolling resistance. Front tires must touch and roll on the track while racing. Inserts for the wheels are optional.

Axles: Size is up to the builder, 1/8th,3/32nd. or Euro ( 3mm )
Bushings only up front, bearings or bushings in back.
Tracking: Front not to exceed beyond top of front fenders. Rear not to exceed beyond 3.450" from end to end.

Gears: pitch is up  to the builder. A sugested gear ratio to start; 6-1.

Track clearence: .047" up front, .055" in back.

Decals and paint: You can custom paint as long as you follow the GT-1 paint schemes ( no flame jobs etc. )
You must register your decals with me;  Howie 503-252-7692. Numbers to be on each side and the front of car.

Guide flag: Guide flag must remain behind the front spoiler and out of sight. No trimming for guide flag clearence. Cars will be teched. with the tires touching the surface of the tech. block and guide flag suspended in the relief of the tech block, ( in other words the guide flag will not help you for clearence.)
These rules are the latest. Now you can start putting one together. I really hope to see you all enjoying this simple but beautifull class of race car. Howie.

Fellow racers: The following is an addition to the GT-1 rules: If you have a GT-1 car with side air dams that interferes with the mounting of the body, you may modify the air dams or remove them and add flat plastic in their place.

Howie provided me with a parts list for the GT1 cars. I will be posting more information on chassis assembly, and the fabrication of the side and front brass pans as soon as I get back over to Rapid Raceway for more detailed construction photos. For now here is a partial parts list for the GT1 Class cars:

Rear 3/32 axle bearings - Professor Motor part #pmtr1000 at $9.95.

Front 3/32 axle bushings. PCH part #625 at $1.69. (Can't run bearings up front).

Guide flag & braid - no particular spec.

3/32 axles - no particular spec.

PCH, http://www.e-slotcar.com/page.home for the following parts;

Tires: Rears; #PTC-244 at $10.99 a pair. Fronts; #PTC-400 at $8.99 pair. 

Reducer bushing #S7-142. $1.98, ( this is the bushing that you will need to fit your 3/16" OD bearings into 1/4"ID chassis holes).

6 tooth 64pitch pinion gear; #8001.06 at $3.49. A good gear ratio to start with is about 6:1.

Professor Motor, www.professormotor.com for the following parts;

Chassis, Scholer#SCH1102001 at $44.95. Keep in mind that the Scholer chassis is metric and will need a little filing of the axle holes to fit the american bushings. Also a little filing of the chassis holes to fit 2/56 american bolts. Not a whole lot of filing as it is pretty close, but we are not talking hand-grenades.

Motor; ( Falcon 7 ) #JK7 at $11.95.

Gary Smith has a bunch of spur gears for sale.

--------------------------Bill

Thanks Howie and Bill.  I have been wondering about these items.  I'm curious as to why 3/32 and not 1/8 axles/bearings, any particular reason?

Rico

All Racers,

Professor Motor let me know the Scholer Pantera chassis is in stock and he has quite a few available. Just a heads up if you need one or two or............

Bob N.

18 (edited by howieandsandy@yahoo.com July 30, 2009 10:17 am)

Rico; the 3/32nd. axles are not a requirement, you can use 1/8th. The 3/32nd. axles are what I'm using and the parts list is familier to me. I run 3/32nd in most of my cars except Sportsman, same with 64 pitch gears, you can use 48pitch or whatever.
Let it be known that the last couple Scholer chassis are not put together, they are in a bag. I assume that is the way we will be getting them from now on. If anyone wants help or needs to copy a chassis let me know.
Also in the later part of Aug. we will be having a get together on a week night for a GT-1 session.
Larry C. is running 1/8th. axles, and I don't know who else is.

19 (edited by howie August 9, 2009 6:50 pm)

Fellow racers; GT-1 practice at Rapid Raceway on the 13th. of Aug. at 5:30PM. I,m expecting a pretty good turn out. Hope to see you there.
Howie.

Fellow racers;  I have a tentative schedule for GT-1. There is 7 Gt-1 races this '09/10 season. All at Rapid Raceway and all on Friday nights starting in late Sept. I will post dates here as soon as I show the schedule to the Sandy part of Howie and Sandy. For those who are interested, there is 7 PASER races and 7 OSCAR races.

wb0s wrote:

Gary Smith has a bunch of spur gears for sale

AJ and I have decided to give this class a try.  I have two chassis and related parts on the way.  We are still deciding what bodies to buy.  Being new to this kind of racing I would appreciate any kind of help regard gearing, ratio's etc.  I understand that Gary Smith has spur gears for sale, but I have no way to contact him.

Thanks
Rico

22 (edited by howieandsandy@yahoo.com August 11, 2009 9:28 am)

Rico; I look forward to you guys taking part in this class. Gary will be here on the 13th. Call me and I will give you his phone # and you can talk to him. He has some parts that you will need and a lot cheaper over buying them on the web. I will cut you out some pans if you provide the brass. You can get the brass at Parkrose Hardware, 2.0" wide X .064" thick X 8 or 10" long or so. That is enough brass to do several sets of pans. I can do that this Thur. or next Thur. during the practice sessions. It really doesn't take that long ( I just copy mine ) The bodies are listed on this page and can be had at www.hobbylinkhobbies.com. and I believe at mshobbies.com. I will be happy to help you guys in any way I can. I'm really looking forward to the GT-1 class, I believe it is going to provide some very close competion in the 1/24th scale. You may need a 6 tooth pinion in order to use the gears that Gary has, that is what I think I will do. I have a 6 to one gear ratio and it seems to work out fine, that is the ratio I wound up with after trying several. Keeping the motor cool is an issue. Beau made a nice motor cooler and I will add one to mine before racing. 6-1 gear ratio helps too. My Phone # is 503-252-7692.

23 (edited by howie August 11, 2009 7:03 pm)

Fellow racers; following is the schedule for Rapid Raceway:    GT-1 practice Aug. 13th and 20th. doors open at 5:30.   Sept. 25th. GT-1 race, open at 5:00 pm.   Oct. 9th. GT-1 race open at 5:00 PM.   Oct. 17th. Practice for the 4th annual enduro. open at 5:00.   Oct. 24th. enduro race open at 7:00 am.   Nov.13th GT-1 race, open at 5:00 pm.   Nov. 14th. PASER race, open at 5:00pm.   Dec. 4th. GT-1 race, open at 5:00pm.   Jan. 22nd. GT-1 race, open at 5:00pm.   Jan. 23rd. PASER race, open  at 5:00pm.    March 12th. practice for the OSCAR race, open at 5:00pm.   March 13th. OSCAR race ( Super Stocks ) open at 7:00 am.   April 2nd. GT-1 race open at 5.00pm.   Apr. 3rd. PASER race open at 5:00pm.   Apr. 23rd. GT-1 race open at 5:00pm.   Apr. 24th. PASER race open 5:00pm.  May. 22nd. GT-1 race. open 5:pm.  TTTTHHHHAAATTTTTSSSS ALL FOLKS.

Can anyone tell me if the Tamiya Mercedes CLK-GTR is a one piece body or if it is multiple pieces?

Thanks
Rico

Rico; that kit is a 3 piece deal, plus the windows and the wing. The glue I use I promise you will rarely break at a glue seem. I have been using this glue plus a trick or two for about 5 yrs. and while bodies will break, it is not on a glue seam.