Sorry for dragging you in George, but I thought you had some good ideas!
Here's one that still bugs me. An "ENDURO" is a LONG race......I mean a REALLY LONG race, not just a bunch of 5 minute heats linked together. If you are doing it any other way you are doing it wrong!
In no way does this current format resemble an enduro! You ARE running short heat races, and trying to work in pit stops where they don't fit! It's like a game, not a race. You're current format is just 8 heat races separated by lane changes and worthless pit stops.
I agree with helping the newer and slower racers become better and faster. As far as learning from the other racers, let me think about that one. Oh yeah, the OTHER racers have always been there for them to learn from, for what the past two years? Not sure how having one person on your TEAM for one race is going to change that? And for the record I have noticed everyone has learned a lot, including me!
As far as input from a bunch of different racers, I've seen this in action, it will confuse them more than help. Everybody has their own ideas, not all of them good, and everybody uses what works for them! Some of the things I do work for me, but another racer may not like the way I do it. Art is right on base when it comes to modifications. You do ONE modification and then test to see how it works. You don't complete a whole buch of modifications at once or you'll get lost in the process of figuring out what works and what doesn't.
The scoring, let's look at that one. Let's see if I race by myself and come in last I get one point. If I race on a team and come in last I get 11 points. But the people that were faster than I was still get MORE points. So to win I still don't have enough points..........Kind of like inflation. I used to make $1 an hour, but a tank of gas was $3. Now I make $20 an hour, but a tank of gas is $60. I may feel ever so slightly better, but I am no better off.
-------------------------------------Bill