Topic: Classic division 1 cars this time around......

As you guys know I am trying to build up my fleet so I can consistently race without have to be a mouch, leaving cars available for other newbies.

What do you race in Classic 1, why, and is it available?

Sidebar, if you have a classic 1 legal car you can live without lmk!

You guys are very helpful, thanks for all the insight!

Zack

Re: Classic division 1 cars this time around......

A Ninco Corvette is always a good choice as is the Ninco Jaguar XK120.  They are not inexpensive but can be found.

Monogram offers a few cars too like the Ferrari, Chaparral and Cooper. You can get those new from ProfessorMoter.com.

Those are the easy choices.  Anyone else?

"Big Smooth"

I was looking at a Fly Ferrari 250 GTO. Is this a reasonable choice for the class?

Thanks for the input Monte!

Zack

Oh Fly...  lots of choices.  I might consider the 250LM.  Or maybe a Porsche 906 that just fits into this class I think.

"Big Smooth"

ANYTHING but a damn AC Cobra is a good pick!

wb0s wrote:

ANYTHING but a damn AC Cobra is a good pick!

I got one that's run pretty damn good

The secondnidator

7 (edited by ckouba February 5, 2019 8:10 pm)

Wanabgts wrote:

I was looking at a Fly Ferrari 250 GTO. Is this a reasonable choice for the class?

Thanks for the input Monte!

Zack

Fly 250 is front motored and, uh... "interesting" to tune.  It's a good lesson and there is documentation out there on what/how to do it, but it may be more than you want to start with.  Granted, they are GORGEOUS and I understand why you'd want to, but as an indicator, I have 3 or 4 of them and don't run them in that class (or at all actually).  The front motored cars are just a challenge to set up.

The Scaley 250GTO might be a better place to start if your heart is set on a GTO.  I think Rico or Jeff (Fields) has one of these set up.  They are just about as good looking (the Scaley vs. Fly, not Jeff vs. Rico) and should be reasonably quick as well. 

The Fly 250LM is a different beast though.  Doc has a fabulously running one of these in his stable, although I am pretty sure he's worked on it a bit.

The Fly 906 and Ninco Vette are two very strong platforms which I would recommend.  I may have a Vette around and will bring if I get my hands on it for Thurs night.

Chris

Doc, that black junker?  wink

"Big Smooth"

I have several I've worked with but the quickest seems to be a Pink Kar GTO 250, all original except the motor and rear tires. it just seems to work.

Zach, the Fly 250LM is a great car but you have to change the rear wheels to get down to 7mm tires. I've also won a couple of races with the Fly GT40, it's low and wide, but again you have to change the rear wheels, which usually also means Axle and spur gear too.

Ninco Classsics include '56 Corvette, Jag XK120, Porsche 356, Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa, Ferrari 188, and the Ford Cobra. The Corvette and Jag are the easiest to work with.

Thanks for the replies guys, I have been doing some digging. Going to have to bargain shop it a bit as most of these cars aren't readily available and the prices are kinda crazy!

Zack

With 14k motor I found that almost any thing works.

The secondnidator

All of the classic stuff that is out of production has gone thru the roof.

Well guys, after last night I have ordered up a load of brass. I'm gonna attempt to put a chassis under my MRRC Ferrari before we run this class again. Wish me luck.

Zack

why fill bad stinking up the race with the pink gt40.....
Just get some C.B. Design Insert Wheels 15x7mm and pg and go racing. but best wishes in the art of brass chassis building speed racer Zack

The secondnidator

There is one thing I have learned very well in my short time racing slot cars, on wood tracks I am not a Urethane fan...

I have many sets that i tried and immediately took back off. Even the brm and slot.it tires did better for me.

Plastic track they seem to be the bees knees unless you are doing silly tires.

all my sport 1car were running pg or bills tires. I find if they are wet polished with 2000 grit they seem to hook up really well. problem with rubber is nobody make any that skinny and you will all ways get some body thinking your running tires that are to wide.

The secondnidator

Yeah I brought my calipers for a reason.....

Zack